Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

flavor.flv posted:

I like this guy because he reviews the kind of cheap aliexpress garbage that's much more in my price range

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9VqHRtGnf0

Plus, who doesn't like hearing a Dutch accent
Here's a clone of the one on the right but with a good d-pad, apparently it's actually decent for it's super low price and limited power?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLJEU169xLQ

But if you want the cheap chinese handhelds you got cheap chinese handhelds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4p6Yxtr64xw

Weedle posted:

ok gently caress all this anbernic poo poo i found the best one of these

the sunglasses make it great

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Mar 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
tag yourself i'm

oh poo poo I didnt even realize it was wearing a chain until I zoomed in

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What's the one to get of these currently?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Empress Brosephine posted:

either the rp2 or the rg351m

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

You’re a rich game, and you’ve gone too far
Cause you know they won’t play it anyway

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Declan MacManus posted:

either the rp2 or the rg351m

Rolo posted:

This guy is really into emulator consoles and he just posted about the 351V:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqeXysZFVDI
Close enough that you might as well hold out for the 351v now

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The United States posted:

Might as well hold out for the 351v now

That’s what I was gonna say. It looks pretty legit.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thanks all. I mostly just want to play neo geo pocket color

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

OP is up to date, consult my little tidbits at the end of each for brief summaries.

E: I didn’t update

Rolo fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Mar 10, 2021

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

The United States posted:

Close enough that you might as well hold out for the 351v now
only one analogue stick, looks good though

I have the 351p, gonna wait until the 352 or whatever the next gen is

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The 351v looks cool but I really prefer a landscape form factor for anything that uses shoulder buttons

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

bowmore posted:

only one analogue stick, looks good though

What does that second stick really get you, though? Is there any must-play homebrew that uses it?

These things aren't good enough yet to play gamecube or ps2 yet, and there's only one game on ps1 that needed both sticks

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

flavor.flv posted:

What does that second stick really get you, though? Is there any must-play homebrew that uses it?

These things aren't good enough yet to play gamecube or ps2 yet, and there's only one game on ps1 that needed both sticks

Which is good cause the right stick on the RP2 is baaaad.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Weedle posted:

ok gently caress all this anbernic poo poo i found the best one of these

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

There are some games that are better with a second stick on PS1. Like Medal of Honor and mega man legends 2

Weedle
May 31, 2006

flavor.flv posted:

i use it for wolf3d, doom, and quake. i also have custom remaps set for a bunch of ps1 games to give them dual analog controls even if they didn’t support it originally, or had some kind of control scheme designed by lunatics where strafing is on the right stick and looking up and down is on laterally opposed buttons or something. king’s field and armored core are way better (and easier) with dual sticks

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
I want a folding screen retro shitbox, is the Powkiddy V90 going to be any better than the LDK Game I have from a few years ago?

What's the maximum amount I should spend on a V90? $35?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

They're pretty much the same, I think the lpk might be a little bit more powerful. I wouldn't bother unless you really, really want that SP form factor

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I posted this in the retro thread but lol at this thing

https://youtu.be/uNxlJvbccps

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

MarcusSA posted:

I posted this in the retro thread but lol at this thing

https://youtu.be/uNxlJvbccps

He said SNEZ. CANCELLED.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

flavor.flv posted:

I guess homebrew ports of old FPS games that can use it (Xash/Half Life) and like the 2 PS1 FPS games that supported a kind of dual analog.

Rolo posted:

Which is good cause the right stick on the RP2 is baaaad.
Yeah apparently on the RP2 it's not even an analog stick even though it looks like one, it's just 3DS-style slider that only registers 8 directions (so ok for simple third person camera control, maybe emulating the c-buttons in N64 games, terrible for actual FPS games)

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

yeah the right stick on the rp2 is very disappointing

i will never emotionally recover from the time i tried to play ape escape

(it does do fine emulating the c buttons)

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Yeah mine handles the C buttons fine but in their attempt to make it as flush as possible it actually rubs against the console and barely returns to middle. Probably just my unit but I don’t care because I just set the C buttons to the face and shoulders.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Apologies if this is repeating, but trying to reconcile the OP with some reviews. I'd like to run Dreamcast portably in a handheld. Money isn't a big concern, jankiness/setup isn't a big concern.

Seems like the RP2 is the way to go but I see people claiming there's significant input lag due to being on android, but I'm not sure if that's actually true or not. Does the RP2 actually run dreamcast at full speed most of the time?

Is the thought the 351v will be powerful enough to run DC full speed?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

nothing in the sub-$200 range is going to do dreamcast well. your best bet is probably the aya neo but it's a full-fledged handheld ryzen pc so it's like $800

e: wow THAT was the wrong link

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/aya-neo-world-s-first-7nm-handheld-gaming-device--2#/

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I stan the Dreamcast hard but it's really hard for even me to think of many DC games I need to play on-the-go on a 3.5 inch screen. Most of the best DC games are either balls-out action games (e.g. arcade schmups and racing games), or fighting, sports, or party games you wouldn't want to play solo anyway. Skies of Arcadia and Grandia II, I guess? But as great as those games are there are better ports of both on other systems.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Mar 10, 2021

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Weedle posted:

nothing in the sub-$200 range is going to do dreamcast well. your best bet is probably the aya neo but it's a full-fledged handheld ryzen pc so it's like $800

e: wow THAT was the wrong link

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/aya-neo-world-s-first-7nm-handheld-gaming-device--2#/

This or a GPD Win max for about $500.

I just checked eBay since I’m selling mine eventually and you can get them for about $500 or so.

A more powerful machine will get you ps2 game cube and some ps3 as well.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

truly tragic that the dreamcast failed before it could be blessed with even one shrek game

Imagined posted:

I stan the Dreamcast hard but it's really hard for even me to think of many DC games I need to play on-the-go on a 3.5 inch screen. Most of the best DC games are either balls-out action games (e.g. arcade schmups and racing games), or fighting, sports, or party games you wouldn't want to play solo anyway. Skies of Arcadia and Grandia II, I guess? But as great as those games are there are better ports of both on other systems.

i would finally finish shenmue if i could play it handheld

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Weedle posted:

truly tragic that the dreamcast failed before it could be blessed with even one shrek game

The Dreamcast/Shrek divide is the true line between retro and modern gaming

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Lockback posted:

Apologies if this is repeating, but trying to reconcile the OP with some reviews. I'd like to run Dreamcast portably in a handheld. Money isn't a big concern, jankiness/setup isn't a big concern.

Seems like the RP2 is the way to go but I see people claiming there's significant input lag due to being on android, but I'm not sure if that's actually true or not. Does the RP2 actually run dreamcast at full speed most of the time?

Is the thought the 351v will be powerful enough to run DC full speed?

There's the Moqi line of phone/retro consoles if you want an Android OS. The RP2's problem is it's pokey processor.

Moqi i7
https://youtu.be/vd7efw71BIs

Moqi i7s
https://youtu.be/RxEh_aJEAWc

Sure you could probably get away with buying a phone and syncing a controller to it but the Moqi's advantage is the built in controls and screen mapping software.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Wamdoodle posted:

There's the Moqi line of phone/retro consoles if you want an Android OS. The RP2's problem is it's pokey processor.

Moqi i7
https://youtu.be/vd7efw71BIs

Moqi i7s
https://youtu.be/RxEh_aJEAWc

Sure you could probably get away with buying a phone and syncing a controller to it but the Moqi's advantage is the built in controls and screen mapping software.

Imo at this point this thing is vastly over priced.

You can definitely get a phone + slide controller for the same or cheaper that will do the same thing and be faster.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Imagined posted:

I was thinking like Ikaruga, crazy taxi, Rez and then some of the weird adventure & rpgs. But I suppose its probably more fun in theory.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Ikaruga on a 3.5” screen sounds like eye hell.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I think more and more these days that i need an HDMI output for any of these devices specifically because of that. Some games just suck on a small screen but if I'm out camping it could be cool to blast it onto the side of a camper or something.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Rolo posted:

Ikaruga on a 3.5” screen sounds like eye hell.

I mean, 640x480 is the same number of pixels. That game is eye hell on any screen.

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

I think more and more these days that i need an HDMI output for any of these devices specifically because of that. Some games just suck on a small screen but if I'm out camping it could be cool to blast it onto the side of a camper or something.

I have a RPI4 setup that is explicitly for those kinds of situations.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Pablo Nergigante posted:

But the Gameboy Color had a Shrek game* and that is definitely a retro system

*which was a terrible game whose only merit was that it was rare enough that GameStop gave me 20 bucks for it as a trade in back in like 2007 or something

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

drrockso20 posted:

But the Gameboy Color had a Shrek game* and that is definitely a retro system

*which was a terrible game whose only merit was that it was rare enough that GameStop gave me 20 bucks for it as a trade in back in like 2007 or something

If it has a Shrek game it’s modern. This means the PS5 and Xbox Series X are retro

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Lockback posted:

I was thinking like Ikaruga, crazy taxi, Rez and then some of the weird adventure & rpgs. But I suppose its probably more fun in theory.

so as an rp2 haver, it handles 2d games pretty well, and 3d games... get dicey

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6LVLaW-_CNU&t=268

biggest problems tend to be audio stutters (not a problem for me since i usually have it muted on the go) and sudden framerate drops. there are some texture glitches on soul calibur specifically that i haven’t seen anywhere else, and some minor graphical glitches here and there in sf third strike and mvc2. pretty far from perfect but probably the best you’ll do at under $100, especially after you get it dialed in

i haven’t tried it with the 8.0 upgrade yet, though, so it might work better now

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Declan MacManus posted:

so as an rp2 haver, it handles 2d games pretty well, and 3d games... get dicey

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6LVLaW-_CNU&t=268

biggest problems tend to be audio stutters (not a problem for me since i usually have it muted on the go) and sudden framerate drops. there are some texture glitches on soul calibur specifically that i haven’t seen anywhere else, and some minor graphical glitches here and there in sf third strike and mvc2. pretty far from perfect but probably the best you’ll do at under $100, especially after you get it dialed in

i haven’t tried it with the 8.0 upgrade yet, though, so it might work better now

That's a perfect youtube-answer, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Pablo Nergigante posted:

that's more true than you probably think, shrek for the original xbox was the first game to use deferred rendering which is how most games work to this day