Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Nitrousoxide posted:

Does that mean "Punished Rome"?

lost, according to google

which is even better imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Have the final improvements to the UI dropped yet, or are people still waiting for changes to fix up some issues with the new UI? I've been waiting to have it happen before starting a new game, and learning what appears to now be a mechanically very different game.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I think the most complained about UI issue was the trade UI which was just reworked a bit in 2.0.2, and there's been a few other improvements. I haven't checked out the macro builder yet since it was almost totally worthless in 2.0 so hopefully that's better too.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
I wonder why they nerfed building cost so hard, a lot of them were barely worth paying for to begin with.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Jabarto posted:

I wonder why they nerfed building cost so hard, a lot of them were barely worth paying for to begin with.

If you stacked a ton of different build cost modifiers you could get to something like 90% cost reduction so that might be why.

It's a bit weird how there's a ton of garbage buildings that don't do anything useful but you want to build a foundry + temple + theater in every single city

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Do I want my whole country to be covered by zones of control? These forts are getting expensive

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

a fatguy baldspot posted:

Do I want my whole country to be covered by zones of control? These forts are getting expensive

Forts are basically useless if you actually plan on expanding your empire at all. Delete all of them the second you take over territory, since the AI inevitably has built a hundred of them everywhere.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

RabidWeasel posted:

If you stacked a ton of different build cost modifiers you could get to something like 90% cost reduction so that might be why.

It's a bit weird how there's a ton of garbage buildings that don't do anything useful but you want to build a foundry + temple + theater in every single city

Agreed. Settlement buildings are even worse, mines and farms are always good but slave estates are situational, barracks are less effective than cities if you want freemen, and I don't think I've ever built a legation or tribal settlement.

Probably not, I used to do this but it's really expensive and probably wasn't worth it even before the cost increase. Mostly you'll just want them on provincial capitals and/or very defensible chokepoints like mountain passes.

That said, the new patch made them a bit cheaper so maybe you can be a bit more liberal with them.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

AnoHito posted:

Forts are basically useless if you actually plan on expanding your empire at all. Delete all of them the second you take over territory, since the AI inevitably has built a hundred of them everywhere.

I haven't played in a while, but I did like forts at choke points and few other place to delay the inevitable barbarians or war declaration while all your armies are engaged at the other side of the time. But I really don't keep many of them.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I like keeping forts along the borders/in chokes because without them the AI will send in a million 2-4k stacks into your backfield to cap all your provincial capitals and burn down your holy sites. Even with forts it'll always find a gap in your defenses somewhere and do it anyway but the forts at least slow them up a little and make it a bit more manageable.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

Also huge props to whomever suggested cozying up to the traditionalists and revoking holdings/scorning families to keep senate approval high. I've been able to keep senate approval around ~75% most of the time and right now in my Dumnonia game it's at 97%.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

If you can get/keep approval over 75% you can take the dictatorship inventions and get rid of your senate for good. It's much easier to get a dictatorship now than it used to be. I did it in my Argos->Hellenic League game after getting both the "as a Greek republic" achievements and it was really satisfying, if a little disappointing that I didn't get renamed Hellenic Dictatorship or Hellenic Empire or something.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Mar 10, 2021

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love
This game is better than it used to be.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

This game is better than it used to be.

It’s super fun now tbh even if I’ve no idea what I’m doing. Should I be colonizing?? Do I need to move pops around?? I figured out integration but how do I assimilate??

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

It’s super fun now tbh even if I’ve no idea what I’m doing. Should I be colonizing?? Do I need to move pops around?? I figured out integration but how do I assimilate??

If you can colonize you should, it's very cheap land/pops.

I only occasionally move pops but it's not really critical. Some reasons to do it include:
-Getting 8 majority integrated and state religion pops in a territory in order to colonize a neighbouring territory
-Hitting the threshold to unlock another building slot in a city
-Getting enough slaves in a territory to produce more of its trade good because you want its bonus in your capital
-Getting religious majority in a territory for missions
-Getting a bigger workforce to build wonders more quickly

Assimilation (like conversion) happens automatically, albeit slowly, on any unintegrated (or wrong religion) pops in your territories. It can be sped up with inventions, laws, buildings (in order of usefulness: theatres, marketplaces, and provincial legations), and/or by using the cultural assimilation governor policy.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Mar 10, 2021

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

You can also speed up integration by allowing intermarriage in the culture screen. Check the decisions there, theres some cool stuff.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

You are supposed to get most of your fun in a fleeting moment of not knowing the answers to those questions.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

RabidWeasel posted:

Like I said earlier it's pretty weird that some buildings have no limit on how many you can build, and they're probably weaker to account for that. They should probably make them stronger but give them a limit.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
Can someone link a good/not annoying LP that will teach my dumbass how to play this game in it's modern state?

White Coke
May 29, 2015
I think they should extend the game's timeline up to the death of Augustus. The game isn't called Imperators: Rome after all.

AnoHito posted:

In my games they seem to love deleting forts as soon as they get ahold of any.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Dorkopotamis posted:

Can someone link a good/not annoying LP that will teach my dumbass how to play this game in it's modern state?

I honestly would be surprised if there are any, both due to the general lack of popularity of the game, and the fact that it just had a big update that changed everything.

White Coke posted:

In my games they seem to love deleting forts as soon as they get ahold of any.

Lucky. I swear every 4 territory country I invade has 3 goddam forts in it.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Dorkopotamis posted:

this guy is pretty good:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBp3zPePRp4

playlist of his guides (all for the updated version):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBp3zPePRp4&list=PLBFHMnSg-2ypZbImgNqTb7s83E6bMAcqc

he's a bit long-winded but he actually knows the game. A lot of other videos I tried to watch would just rush through all the new features and go "wow cool!" (looking at you quil18)

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

AnoHito posted:

Lucky. I swear every 4 territory country I invade has 3 goddam forts in it.

I haven't played enough 2.0.2 to say if it's changed at all but it honestly feels like the AI barely scales the number of forts it retains with its size. I had the entire Seleucid Empire protected by a total of maybe 4 or 5 forts in a 2.0 game and their neighbour Armenia also had 4 forts.

On an unrelated note, are there any meaningful changes to tribal reformation in 2.0 or do you still just want to push up centralisation and the civ value in your capital as quickly as possible to reform?

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Mar 10, 2021

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

RabidWeasel posted:

do you still just want to push up centralisation and the civ value in your capital as quickly as possible to reform?

yes

except now you do a mission tree at the end and you need high popularity iirc

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

That's what I thought, I never did any tribal reforms before 2.0 because getting your civ value up was such a loving chore but now you get it just from doing stuff you want to do anyway so that's cool. And I like the idea of playing as Scythia for a change instead of just conquering them.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The patch is a good improvement but they still haven't fixed the problem with province capitols moving after every war.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

My province capitals have never changed. In fact I’m wondering if I have them in the right place? Is Chersonesus a good capital for the Bosporan Kingdom?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

My province capitals have never changed. In fact I’m wondering if I have them in the right place? Is Chersonesus a good capital for the Bosporan Kingdom?

It's pretty much the best territory for a capital on that side of the Black Sea, most of the others are frigid climate and on worse terrain.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

RabidWeasel posted:

It's pretty much the best territory for a capital on that side of the Black Sea, most of the others are frigid climate and on worse terrain.

That’s what I figured. What’s the best way to get more population capacity? I’m at 57/56 in my capital and the slave pops I capture in battle don’t seem to be going there anymore.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

That’s what I figured. What’s the best way to get more population capacity? I’m at 57/56 in my capital and the slave pops I capture in battle don’t seem to be going there anymore.

Aquaducts and innovations. If you need more building slots there's a province development button that can give you an extra one in exchange for political influence

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Agean90 posted:

Aquaducts and innovations. If you need more building slots there's a province development button that can give you an extra one in exchange for political influence

Yeah I found those buttons they are useful. I’ll start building some aqueducts and squinting at the civics innovation screen

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

If your government has a civic slot there's also an idea that increases it by 25% globally.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Honestly even if it doesn't it can be worth it to take it. the benefits of matching civics aren't that goodp

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Agean90 posted:

Honestly even if it doesn't it can be worth it to take it. the benefits of matching civics aren't that goodp

It depends on your exact government, some of them are great, and then you have autocratic monarchy giving you a massive 6% slave output modifier.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

I like the EU4/I:R ZoC system despite its quirks and flaws, but I feel like fortifications should be less important for this era. Border forts to prevent raids (tiny AI shitstacks swarming your interior while you're busy fighting the war) feels right, but this wasn't an era of castles and it certainly wasn't the era of EYW style star fort siege warfare. I don't know if the AI could properly handle it, but I feel like there should be increased warscore for battles, as many (most?) wars during antiquity were decided with decisive engagements, rather than sieges and taking/holding land. Increasing the emphasis on bringing your opponents main forces to battle, combined with the supply system (which is great), and the link of armies to pops, I think would make the warfare in I:R stand out from similar games.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

In my experience forts just become speedbumps once your big enough to be a regional power, and even the built up ones stop mattering if your a major. Like the lovely level one forts you can just assault.

I don't even bother sieging them down, just assault them right off the bat and they'll usually go down if you have 5000 or more troops. Use mercenaries and it doesn't even cost manpower. For bigger forts I'll try to reduce the garrison a bit but if you get a breach in the wall you can go ham and save yourself the time

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Assaults are probably a little too easy in this patch. I think they reduced the garrison sizes without changing the rest of the numbers to compensate?

Manpower's cheap, too, so the casualties don't even hurt so much.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

I'd like to see walled cities and "border fort" type defenses work differently. The latter can stay the same as they are now but there should be some way to make your cities more defensible without having to build a wall of forts around them or just building a fort in each individual city.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I mean one of the most famous fort battles in all of human history happened in this time period so they definitely are important (Alesia)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Not saying they're not important, just that they are too EU4-like right now. This is also the era of some of the largest and most important land battles of all time, and those outnumber and have more name recognition that the sieges, I'd wager. Sieges rarely decided the war in this era. Right now I can smash the enemy army to pieces in a pitched battle (if I catch them before they hide behind their forts), but then I still have to siege down a bunch of their poo poo to get the warscore. I wanna play as Aemilius Paulus, Hannibal, and Alexander, not as Maurice of Nassau.

Right now it feels like every war is 5-10 Alesias until your army is powerful enough, and then Alesia isn't even something that is possible anymore.

Not really providing actionable criticism here, I just feel the prevalence of EU4 style sieges feels wrong in this era