Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

funmanguy posted:

I felt a kindred spirit from across the forums. I stand with Sally and their correct opinions.

Mathwyn posted:

Hear hear! :colbert:

:hai:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Shinjobi posted:

Dash Rendar is a plague, and a menace.

a phantom menace, perhaps?

edit: oops! followed a quote link from an active thread and thought I was still in that same thread! I was not, in fact, still in that thread

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
this thread is still active! it's just really slow... but it will never die!

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Dash Rendar gets similar amounts of action.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

I'll take a Dash's Dandies tag in solidarity with a fellow pineapple pizza lover. :patriot:

Hazamuth
May 9, 2007

the original bugsy

Year of the Rendar!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Hazamuth posted:

Year of the Rendar!

Will you settle for "The Year We Maybe Finish LPing Killzone: Shadow Fall and Mercenary" instead?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

nine-gear crow posted:

Will you settle for "The Year We Maybe Finish LPing Killzone: Shadow Fall and Mercenary" instead?

This post made me so mad I considered LP'ing the PC version of Shadows of the Empire.

Hazamuth
May 9, 2007

the original bugsy

nine-gear crow posted:

Sure, I'll take anything I can get.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Jobbo_Fett posted:

This post made me so mad I considered LP'ing the PC version of Shadows of the Empire.

*looks at the 3/4 footage of SOTE PC that's been on my HDD for years*

yeah maybe you should do it

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
SotE tape is real.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
The Dash Tape is definitely real, but you probably don't want to know what's on it.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Artix posted:

The Dash Tape is definitely real, but you probably don't want to know what's on it.

I wanna know what's on it.

Hazamuth
May 9, 2007

the original bugsy

Now you better continue that Killzone LP or you know who will haunt your dreams.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Hazamuth posted:

Now you better continue that Killzone LP or you know who will haunt your dreams.

lmao that Dashgar... Rengar?

tell you what, an LP will update tonight. It'll be a crow/sally/cjakes LP. it may or may not include all of us. Artix may even appear. i cant spoil it.

but an LP featuring one of will get an update T O N I G H T

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:eyepop:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
What the gently caress?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
haha, now watch me promptly forget about this thread and not post an update for another three years

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

alright, here it is. it's finally loving here. I teased this goddamned update last July damnit:

Sally posted:

a preview:

Did y'all know there was an attempt at creating a Lucasarts point-and-click style adventure game version of Shadows of the Empire? BECAUSE THERE WAS!!

And you know what? I actually went and played what was available of the game and captured hundreds of screen shots and was all primed to launch a proper SSLP update... but it was all just dull as hell. Maybe I'm just not that into adventure games, but for a fan game trying to mimic the Lucasart style, it really feels like a fan game just trying to mimic the Lucasart style. which, fine if that's your thing, but I don't think it makes for interesting LP content.

So instead of all that, you're going to get my analysis of what could have been. To do that, I have to take you back... way back, to the heady days of 2004:

Now let me tell you first off, the updates will NOT be frequent. I'd say they average and update or two a month. But our ambitious friends at hexence are really pumped on this Shadows of the Empire point-and-click idea and are quick to start teasing sprites and animation of their game.

Such as one-hundred-and-sixty-six R2-D2s:

And walking Luke:

But it isn't long before our intrepid team of modders has created a working Tech Demo of the game. Within a few months, they surprise the internet of the mid-2000s with a download on New Years:

And, well, it's competent. I'll give it that much. I personally did not have a lot of fun playing it and threw out all the footage. I just could not justify either recording commentary for a video over top of it or attempting to turn it into a fun and lighthearted SSLP romp. It's just kinda... there. And all the tech demo has is Luke Skywalker bumbling around in Ben Kenobi's hut with R2-D2. There's a bunch of snide in-jokes and pithy comments, assuredly in the spirit of old Lucasarts point-and-clicks, but none of it really landed for me.

If you'd really like to see it in action, there's this video here on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZzS7471i9c

It's just... it tries really hard to be sarcastic and aloof and good for these guys, but I'm just not into it. Maybe because it's not Dash Rendar? Maybe the final version will be better?

Oh, the final version promises all sorts of side-story content related to Shadows of the Empire interspersed with the main narrative. And the main narrative will contain at least four different characters you can swap between, including our boy Dash, Boba Fett, Luke, and... either Lando or Leia, I was never clear on it.

Anyways, the SOTE-GA (Shadows of the Empire Graphic Adventure) project got some recognition, was mentioned in an Italian video game magazine, translated the tech demo to German, and racked up 10,000 downloads. Pretty good for '05. They even won a "Best demo" award on the Adventure Game Studio forums:

Note: That website is long gone. The link redirects to a weird booking site for international hotels that, for some reason, still contains an About Us blurb from AGS I guess to rope in clicks from search engines.

Throughout 2006, the hexence team tease a bunch of updates, including sprites of Dash, Lando, and Leia:

They also released concept art of Ord Mantell, Zhar (Gall Spaceport), Mon Calamari, and the planet Ilum from the Clone Wars cartoon(?!):

Then finally... months later in June of 2007, they finally tease that the first actual demo for the game is nearing completion, feature our boy, the loving man the myth the legend, Dash Rendar, fully playable in a segment on Ord Mantell and Gall Spaceport:

Well, folks, they hype is off the charts for this, you'd best believe it! Dash Rendar in an adventure game? gently caress it! It could be Dash Rendar in a visual romance novel and I'd play it. Dash Rendar could be a lovely RPGMaker game and I'd play it. It's Dash Rendar!

But then July rolls around...

...and August...

...and September...

...October...

...November...

...and finally December, and there's still nothing but updates on how the demo has been delayed and they're busy and they have lives and it's still coming. All good. We all get it, right? Modders have lives. It's all good. We're just pumped for Dash Rendar content! So to tide over the internet, they let slip a few more screens:

But by now you've probably already guessed where this is going, yeah? We get nothing for nearly another four months. Just updates here and there about trivial stuff. An updated model of Dash, the completion of a background segment... we are teased a few new screens in April:

But then it dips right back into radio silence or mundane updates. As we enter December, something more substantial gets posted:

quote:

december 9, 2008
Dusk and Gnupick are back from GAMECON 2008, the most important Italian Videogames Convention (Naples, december 6-8). But they weren't mere spectators: they had a speech on dec 8 titled "Hexence: Star Wars Shadows of the Empire - the development of fangames", attended by many people. They officially presented - for the first time - our SOTE project to a vast public of videogame enthusiasts, adventure game aficionados and possibly Star Wars fans too. When the Prologue was played and a rolling demo of SOTE: Hunting the hunter was showed and commented the response was fantastic.
The audience's flattering standing ovation can only encourage our efforts to complete HtH in a short time. And the same response came from playtesters, who gave us important feedback to tweak the Prologue.
Stay tuned for more.

Which, hey, good for them! That sounds rad. The photo from the con is interesting because they appear to either be in a cave or the Mos Eisley cantina itself:

Still, things are going. They've got an entire Italian demo of the game's Part 1. It's right here if you want to watch it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DitaUWIr2uM

It's the segment where Boba Fett gets attacked by Bossk and the other bounty hunters trying to take Han Solo's frozen carbonite body from him so they can claim the bounty themselves. Seems alright in action. Note: It's entirely in Italian! There's no Dash Rendar, though, which is an immediate strike against it.

Sadly, I don't think this Italian demo exists in the wild. I suppose you could email one of them and see if they respond, but I didn't bother. The Tech Demo is the only easily available game at this point in time.

But anyways, time marched on and after a couple intermittent updates we suddenly got this:

and then six months later they drop a bombshell saying they are dropping AGS and attempting to recreate the game from scratch on Multimedia Fusion 2. I have no idea what the platform is, but they seemed convinced it'll work.

Keep in mind, it's now 2009 at this point. The project started in '04. It's also at this point that the old website just ends. You can check out the old index here and click around and see what remains here: http://sote.hexence.com/indexold.html

I'm not sure the exact timeline and if it stall or not, but one of the members independently tried to restart the project again and started posting updates on a new site: http://soteadv.blogspot.com/

The blog has a lot of broken images and a lot of technical stuff... background images, etc. It all lacks Dash Rendar, which is a pretty damning indictment. The only post that really stood out to me as not aging well was this one for it's Duke Nukem Forever reference:

But also this lone dev had a kid, so I'm really happy for him and hope his family life is going well! :unsmith: If he's not gonna finish SOTE-GA because he's too busy living the good life with his fam, then hell, good for him. Dash would've wanted it that way.

The last update was August of 2012, so I'm not holding my breath that his solo project will keep going.

Back on the hexcene front, they have an updated home page that tracks the history of the project up to 2019(!?): http://sote.hexence.com/main/index.php

According to the autobio they've got going on, the latest version of the Hunting the Hunter portion of the game wrapped up in 2016. But the article was written in 2019... but now it's 2021.

quote:

At the time of writing, more than ten years after our restricted "Hunting the Hunter" release, it would be fair to assume that the project is dead, but it is just stalled. We have never published the 2009 preliminary version because we still hope to be able someday to put out the complete version of "Hunting the Hunter". At the time of writing, the latest commit on the SOTE trunk is from 2016: not that long ago, after all.

While we are very busy with work and/or family matters, and even if we see some short-comings of what we have already done (thanks to the experience that we have accumulated in the last years working as professionals on other games), we are still committed to publishing "Hunting the Hunter" at some point: it would be crazy to waste all the work behind its development.

We can't make promises, but hopefully that day is not so far.

So yeah, I dunno. This is it. It just kind of rapidly fizzled out and has been slowly updating in intermittent fits and starts.

THIS

THREAD

HAhA!!!

Hazamuth
May 9, 2007

the original bugsy

All this proves is that people need to make more stupid puns in picture form to make you feel guilty about yourself. Still, very much appreciated.

edit: I also updated my avatar for the first time since registering and while I don't miss the loss of the JOE gangtag, I do miss that that Dash gangtag.

Hazamuth fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Mar 11, 2021

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
i can fix that..
i'll queue it up

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
:eyepop:

yer a fookin' legend crow. dash would be proud

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
hatchi machi!

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

In the grim darkness of the near future there is only Dash Rendar.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

This is avatar material right here.

edit: gently caress it, did the needful. Might I get a crumb of the Dash's Dandies tag?

Warmachine fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Mar 12, 2021

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Warmachine posted:

This is avatar material right here.

edit: gently caress it, did the needful. Might I get a crumb of the Dash's Dandies tag?

Smaller

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I also did an alt version of the Dash Stride where I swapped a couple of frames around so it looks like he's trying to do The Mario, but failing ineptly

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Warmachine posted:

you coulda just added the Dash's Dandies tag when you bought the new av :negative:

hold on, i'll see if i can get it fixed for you

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Sally posted:

you coulda just added the Dash's Dandies tag when you bought the new av :negative:

hold on, i'll see if i can get it fixed for you

And deny you the pleasure?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
lol, you're in :haibrower:

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Dash will never die as long as his dandies are around!

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

The Shame Boy posted:

Dash will never die as long as his dandies are around!

Heroes Dash's Dandies never die!

Mathwyn
Oct 31, 2012

Ante up.

My only regret is that I can't see my gangtags because I use the app. :smith: (Unless someone knows how!)

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Mathwyn posted:

My only regret is that I can't see my gangtags because I use the app. :smith: (Unless someone knows how!)

You can set this as your phone background:

Aeromancia
Jul 23, 2013

Warmachine posted:

Heroes Dash's Dandies never die!

Dash is love, Dash is life.

Mathwyn
Oct 31, 2012

Ante up.

Warmachine posted:

You can set this as your phone background:

You are a gentleman Dash and a scholar Rendar. :golfclap:

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

I came across a Dash Rendar action figure at a used book and media store and now he stands on my work desk the past year as only Dash ever could

smug
undying
vaguely reminding me of this thread all the time
and difficult to explain to my colleagues

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Broken Box posted:

I came across a Dash Rendar action figure at a used book and media store and now he stands on my work desk the past year as only Dash ever could

smug
undying
vaguely reminding me of this thread all the time
and difficult to explain to my colleagues

"This guy right here? Better than Boba Fett."

8 words