Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

my apologies for the multiquote
Why?

so Nekros is a bad warframe?
And if the troublemaker is the hostage executioner in the prison room?

The corrosion you've put on gives you one avenue of armor removal on tough enemies, tacking fire onto it would give you a second and hopefully melt armor off twice as fast. It's still not ideal but better than nothing.

Nekros isn't bad but it takes investment to make him able to take nasty hits. his lvl 10 ability plus a specific augment go a long way towards this. Rank 6 on Sedna, a beefy enemy sneezes on you and you're dead.

For hacking objectives like that, you can hop out into your operator, go stealth and touch the pad which will lock you into invisibility, then hack away. Though the grineer pads spin twice as fast as in frames so you have to be confident in your hacking skills. Moot if you have ciphers. If you keep using Nekros you can also use his 2 before hacking, which will make enemies run in fear for a bit. There's lots of ways around this that aren't all obvious but continuing to throw an underlevelled frame at the problem is just going to frustrate you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Oh yeah, I'm almost done with the Steel Path! Just have a few more Void nodes to clear, waiting on the friend I've done the whole run with to finish it up.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
lol I'm so incredibly far from having a fully cleared steel path! The daily missions are helping a lot though, plus this nightwave kill 1k enemies on the path. I've been ignoring nightwave this season until basically this week where I went whole hog on it and recovered some old objectives. Weird.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I did basically the same thing. Too busy playing Valheim. :black101:

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Echophonic posted:

The best way to level gear is to have one thing you're 100% confident in equipped. This can be a frame or a gun. Bring the Hek and a secondary and a melee to get shared affinity for. This is where Forma and Reactors/Catalysts come in early on. Once you find something you trust, throw a potato at it. Now you can level gear even more easily. As you get higher MR, the pain of putting a forma into something decreases, too, which is nice.

Yeah this is also true, you might be worried about taking Rhino to everything, but Rhino might be the thing that allows you to level your guns, then once your guns are good enough then they carry your low level frames, and it's a bit of a cycle.

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?
Lot of good info here but I'd stress decoupling the goal of clearing the star chart from leveling items at this point. They're two separate things towards the end and underleveled weapons and items makes harder missions even more difficult.

Cracking void relics by running the fissures will let you get items for more weapons and warframes. These are good missions to run new gear with and test things out on.

You can also sell those items to other players for platinum. Plat will be important for getting more weapon and Warframe slots.

If you like the looter shooter, leveling, and movement aspect of the game it's worth sticking with imo! One of the best F2P games I've played.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
yeah, my personal rule is to have at least one overpowered thing I can use to trivially murder everything with and passively level the rest of my loadout

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Ciaphas posted:

MR9. I do have a Hek; and a Rhino, but I don't want to play that (and re the Hek, if I have to have all beefed gear to survive at this point, how the hell am I supposed to level anything else?)

Not in the clan and don't particularly want to join - partly an incontrovertible anxiety thing, partly i'm still on the edge of uninstalling again anyway (I'd forgotten how frustrating game obtuseness is, and this has that in spades)

Please join the clan. It's the most chill gaming group I've ever had the pleasure of being in.

If you do, we will shower you with all the mods you'll need to complete the starchart.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

The Fulmin is available at MR8 and is a fantastic early primary. Both fire modes are actually useful. No ammo problems either.

Guns pick up in power by MR10 or so, with a few notable earlier exceptions. It's worth seeking those out for starchart clearing.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

hazardousmouse posted:

The corrosion you've put on gives you one avenue of armor removal on tough enemies, tacking fire onto it would give you a second and hopefully melt armor off twice as fast. It's still not ideal but better than nothing.

Nekros isn't bad but it takes investment to make him able to take nasty hits. his lvl 10 ability plus a specific augment go a long way towards this. Rank 6 on Sedna, a beefy enemy sneezes on you and you're dead.

For hacking objectives like that, you can hop out into your operator, go stealth and touch the pad which will lock you into invisibility, then hack away. Though the grineer pads spin twice as fast as in frames so you have to be confident in your hacking skills. Moot if you have ciphers. If you keep using Nekros you can also use his 2 before hacking, which will make enemies run in fear for a bit. There's lots of ways around this that aren't all obvious but continuing to throw an underlevelled frame at the problem is just going to frustrate you.

Once you're building Nekros for anything, you really should throw Shadows into the trash where it belongs and go full Orb.

If you need Nekros before you have the resources to Orb it's a mediocre stopgap at best.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

You should have the Broken War, use that instead of Mire

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

This video is a couple years old and a few details have changed, particularly around melee, but the general concepts remain fully relevant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3iln0ZSZyI

I will also echo the "always keep a problem solver handy" suggestions.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Thanks for all the advice. I think first thing's first is to load up whatever leveled and powerful stuffproblem solvers I actually have and see if I even still like the gameplay when I'm not slamming my face into too-hard content and whining that it hurts :v:

(e) "problem solvers", ha, I like that

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Generally leveling up a frame in live play as opposed to runnign SO or Grineer defense meant exactly that for me: having a "problem solver" in Helter's words.

Don't care about anything the game can throw because:
- I have a strong map clearing frame so who cares about the trash weapons I'm leveling.
- I've got one strong weapon so all else can be weak, etc.

Mag/Nova are exceptionally strong frames with reasonable mods available early. My PC restart was entirely run with a Nova Prime I picked up on market. The low defense and lack of DR because no corrupted mods didn't matter when the 4 is just so strong in both CC and damage boost. Same with Mag bubbles, they give tremendous CC and damage boosts with very little mod investment.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

BMan posted:

You should have the Broken War, use that instead of Mire

Mire is great wtf?

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Warframe, under all its confusing organically grown layers of adlib-bolted on chaos is just a game where you assemble a really big toolbox and then eventually you just have to figure out which is the best or most fun hammer for the nail in question.

Also a lot of the tools are kinda similar and some deprecate others but sometimes the deprecated ones look cooler or have a funny gimmick. And after a while you get bored of using the best hammer for everything and try to hammer in nails with a saw and it's funny how often that actually still works (surprisingly well) in warframe.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Mire is great wtf?

It's a free catalyst, also, the stats are better than mire

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

endlessmonotony posted:

Once you're building Nekros for anything, you really should throw Shadows into the trash where it belongs and go full Orb.

If you need Nekros before you have the resources to Orb it's a mediocre stopgap at best.

Orb....mother?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

hazardousmouse posted:

Orb....mother?

Orb Daddy. :colbert:

My Nekros is in pink pyjamas for babysitting.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Attempting not to double up on previous advice..

Using un-potatoed stuff in the late planets (Sedna, Pluto, last void branch, KFort, Eris (now infested actually hurt if they punch you.) is also kind of rough a lot of the time, but maybe I'm a whale?

Shaking out an Adaptation mods and maybe a Magus Elevate or Magus Repair arcane from friends/goons/tradechat can also help.

If you get into the/a clan there are 100x blueprints for Ciphers and Team Restores, which can be helpful. Hotkey a Large Team Health Restore on your gearwheel and suddenly you have health potions, frex.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
At the core of the Nekros Orb build is Arcane Pulse, Equilibrium, Despoil and Health Conversion.

I toss in range and health on top of that.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

endlessmonotony posted:

At the core of the Nekros Orb build is Arcane Pulse, Equilibrium, Despoil and Health Conversion.

I toss in range and health on top of that.

Same, plus I add some strength + Creeping Terrify for excellent CC with a little armor stripping to boot

I replaced my 1 with Silence primarily for vault bounties, but it does add a little extra CC / survivability and gives a nice boost to melee mayhem

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

BMan posted:

It's a free catalyst, also, the stats are better than mire

What a bad opinion. For shame.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Seems me of three years ago had good taste re: frame-based problem solving, at least

Disgusting taste in fashionframe, though. Orange monotone? *sniffs*

(i have zero idea how good or bad that fit is. but it looks decked out and carried me through t he start of HoD okay just now, so that'll do atm)

(e) What's that iconography next to the name, the wreath and the 8mm tape looking icon there?

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Mar 10, 2021

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Jobbo_Fett posted:

What a bad opinion. For shame.

did I mention how mire is butt-ugly

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

BMan posted:

did I mention how mire is butt-ugly

:negative:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

clips like hell thru my sweet cape, I know that much. probably others do too though

Rob Rockley
Feb 23, 2009

I’ll pitch in with my two cents since I got advice along these lines a while back:

New players don’t have access to the hundreds of tools that make the game easy. In order to break into the higher end of the star chart there’s a few things you can do easily now:

Survivable Warframe: get Rhino from Venus and Valkyr from Jupiter (I think). These are two tough Warframes with invulnerability abilities. Add in vitality and steel fiber maxed up as much as you can, and maybe flow or an efficiency mod so you have more energy to keep it up. Then, get the mod Hunter Adrenaline from low level Cetus bounties or just ask in clan chat. The mod converts about half of health damage to energy. So your methodology for Valkyr at least is: lose shields and begin taking health damage, fill up your energy rapidly, and then use her 4 to leech life from enemies you hit. You are functionally invincible so long as you remember to hit the right button and avoid nullifier bubbles. Just don’t forget to also mod valkyrs exalted weapon separately from your normal melee weapon. Rhino can be invulnerable and is simpler, but since he doesn’t have an ability that regenerates health you should build health restore gear or get a weapon/mod that leeches life. Medi-ray is a pet mod that regenerates health also.

As for weapons broken war and Hek are probably your best bets at that level. Potato the hek, consider putting forma in it. Build a second Grakata and use that to build twin grakatas, which I think are better than Dex Furis.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
I've got a helminth charger forma'd bunch of times cause I like him. How can I build him to not die all the time? Is there a good combination of mods to make this dude unkillable? I don't even really care that he does damage (I doubt he does much at all currently anyway) I just like having him for the Animal instinct and Fetch mods. I know I could use sentinels as well but I just like having him around.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Do you have pack leader? Animals tend to die eventually but pack leader will usually heal them immediately.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

DarkAvenger211 posted:

I've got a helminth charger forma'd bunch of times cause I like him. How can I build him to not die all the time? Is there a good combination of mods to make this dude unkillable? I don't even really care that he does damage (I doubt he does much at all currently anyway) I just like having him for the Animal instinct and Fetch mods. I know I could use sentinels as well but I just like having him around.

Have you heard the Good News about our Lord and Savior, Panzer Vulpaphyla? It's an unkillable Fetch- and Primed Animal Instinct bot that can inflict Viral status and do Saryn things.

It also looks properly grody.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

DarkAvenger211 posted:

One of the best ways to make a pet really tanky is to use the health % link mod and then pick a massive HP mountain of a frame like inaros. This is of course severely limiting and will bite you if you forget about it and switch to a brittle 300hp frame (and your pet is made out of paper and can't abuse the same defense mechanics as you).

You can do stuff like play nezha with safeguard and put a hoop on your pet, but the only more "universal" approach (besides the already mentioned low rank pack leader if you use melee) i've settled on is to max the revive time and just remove as many attack preceipts as possible (so the pet doesnt draw more aggro than it needs to).
even under ideal conditions your pets pathfinding might just break and it'll run circles in front of a corpus elite shotgunner, but at least then youve got over a minute of time to revive it without having to worry about losing vacuum or radar.

e: this isn't applicable to arbies where the pet will just insta-die instead of getting downed.

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Mar 10, 2021

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
I'll have to look into getting a Pack Leader, but yeah I've got the life link one I just gotta remember to swap it out when I swap to a low HP frame.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Ciaphas posted:

Seems me of three years ago had good taste re: frame-based problem solving, at least

(i have zero idea how good or bad that fit is. but it looks decked out and carried me through t he start of HoD okay just now, so that'll do atm)

(e) What's that iconography next to the name, the wreath and the 8mm tape looking icon there?

The wreath is a universal icon that means you've mastered that item/frame and gotten all the mastery XP you can out of it.

The tapedeck is one of the icons from the focus schools. At some point you slapped a lens on Nova and have been getting focus XP by using her skills.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

How can you hate Mire?!

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

you could probably save some mod capacity by dropping range down a bit, nova doesn't really need it

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

hazardousmouse posted:

you could probably save some mod capacity by dropping duration down a bit, nova doesn't really need it

Duration is vital to Nova. What she doesn't need is Range. Unless you want long portals.

EDIT : For clarity, Nova's 4 strarts out Range away, but flows outwards for Duration. So Duration makes it wider AoE than Range.
Also a high range means her 1 that gives her DR shoots off faster.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
yeah you caught me in the 10 seconds it took to edit

for reference, here's my nova build:

did someone say STAT STICKS?

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Tylana posted:

Duration is vital to Nova. What she doesn't need is Range. Unless you want long portals.

EDIT : For clarity, Nova's 4 strarts out Range away, but flows outwards for Duration. So Duration makes it wider AoE than Range.
Also a high range means her 1 that gives her DR shoots off faster.

Confusingly, Range also doesn't affect the explosion radius of her 2. Which I suppose is a good thing considering everything you already pointed out. Nova's 2 is very very good though and commonly underestimated. It absorbs and can release a tremendous amount of damage within its range, and it's also one of the few explosions that goes through walls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity
Ciaphas just to mention something no one else has yet also, multishot is absolute must on every build and is as important as base damage, and technically used on more builds than base damage. You really need to get multishot mods for your main and secondary.

I know this sounds weird and unintuitive, but If you are afraid of joining the clan, get onto discord and ask for a handout. What I didn't know when I first started is that certain mods (ie multishot) are absolutely CRUCIAL to playing the game and have like a .15% drop rate. But many long term players will accrue maybe a hundred copies of these mods that are completely useless to us, we can't even sell it for any worthwhile credits, (like it's so worthless it's not even worth the time to go into menus and sell it). so its more rewarding to give it away to a new person. We desperately want to give you these extras.