Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

One of my first losses was buying NAK shares with the expectation that Trump would say gently caress it and approve the pebble mine in Alaska. Then it turns out his stupid son fished near the mine and was under the impression the mine would gently caress up the fishing. Thanks a lot Trump Jr. idiot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

When does RBLX open?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So how does an IPO work in this case in terms of the originally set price and buying?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

MazelTovCocktail posted:

So how does an IPO work in this case in terms of the originally set price and buying?

They make an initial offering of X shares at a certain price, and then away they go.

They’ll get an underwriter to generate interest and the underwriter generally buys all the shares at an agreed upon price that’s pretty low, and then commits to selling them publicly (called a firm commitment)— this is the most common way, and is a situation where underwriters make stupid money since they have a network of investors to tap into, and get the shares at a really good price. Public investors can buy these shares on the exchange, but the success of an IPO usually is determined by which funds they get to Hoover up millions of shares. Otherwise, they expend “best efforts” to get those shares sold on behalf of the company, for a fee.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
Volkswagen continues to go up, this is how all stocks should work imo

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

jokes posted:

They make an initial offering of X shares at a certain price, and then away they go.

They’ll get an underwriter to generate interest and the underwriter generally buys all the shares at an agreed upon price that’s pretty low, and then commits to selling them publicly (called a firm commitment)— this is the most common way, and is a situation where underwriters make stupid money since they have a network of investors to tap into, and get the shares at a really good price. Public investors can buy these shares on the exchange, but the success of an IPO usually is determined by which funds they get to Hoover up millions of shares. Otherwise, they expend “best efforts” to get those shares sold on behalf of the company, for a fee.

Thanks! I always get confused on how the initial part is...well initially sold. I’ll be pleasant surprised if I get anything filled at $50 or lower. My idea on this is just quick profit and back into NDRA when it’s lower...well unless staying on Roblox makes sense obviously.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
I have bids for GME puts and RBLX that I'm certain won't get filled.

This way I don't lose money. This is how I win.

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer

Oscar Wild posted:

I have bids for GME puts and RBLX that I'm certain won't get filled.

This way I don't lose money. This is how I win.

Pretty much where I’m at with rblx. I just took some nice gains this morning on my not ndra stuff, I’m not sure I want to reinvest it yet, something about the markets today just feels off to me. Great investment strategy, I know.

New Found Power
Aug 18, 2005

As in atom bomb... As in nuclear fission.. As in the end of the world.

paternity suitor posted:

They do that, but they also openly coordinate to tank stocks. There are conferences where they gather to "discuss" short position research. It's a tangled web of hedge funds, short side researchers and financial reporters.

so what you're saying is that people talking to each other about stocks is bad

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Mr. F! posted:

One of my first losses was buying NAK shares with the expectation that Trump would say gently caress it and approve the pebble mine in Alaska. Then it turns out his stupid son fished near the mine and was under the impression the mine would gently caress up the fishing. Thanks a lot Trump Jr. idiot

That actually sounds like the best thing he's ever done. Sorry for ur capitalism loss there!

Stocks wise myself I'm just letting everything ride currently. A lot of SPACs and then plays like NDRA/CRTX.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just tossed it all into GameStop might as well increase my house money for Roblox.

Edit: Well poo poo this is actually working out lol

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Someone convince me why I shouldn’t buy a bunch of long-dated puts on GME

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

UnfurledSails posted:

No way it actually opens at 45

Is it going to open higher or lower than $45? I've never done this kind of buying before. :ohdear:

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

YeahTubaMike posted:

Is it going to open higher or lower than $45? I've never done this kind of buying before. :ohdear:

Higher

Anyway I thought it was supposed to open between 10-11 EST?

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

How do you know that? Like, if the price is $45 now, what's going to cause it to immediately go up, to the point that I won't be able to buy shares at $45?

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer

Flowers for QAnon posted:

Quick look says it costs almost $1,500 - $2,000 a contract
That’s for a $60 put, $300 puts cost like $36k

Jimong5 fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Mar 10, 2021

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

New Found Power posted:

so what you're saying is that people talking to each other about stocks is bad

"People of the same trade seldom meet together, even for merriment and diversion, but the conversation ends in a conspiracy against the public, or in some contrivance to raise prices."

- Karl Marx, probably

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Not an emptyquote!

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Well so much for the GameStop idea. Granted I lost nothing, but eh timing never seems to work...well also patience. Anyway done for 6 robolox at $50 we’ll see if it gets filled.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

for a stock as volatile as gamestop the options are going to be hella expensive

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

YeahTubaMike posted:

How do you know that? Like, if the price is $45 now, what's going to cause it to immediately go up, to the point that I won't be able to buy shares at $45?

Part of the delay is the exchanges matching buyers and sellers. If there are a lot of buyers it will immediately increase to match those orders. The reverse is also true.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

The only thing I can really offer in response is that dude who lost like a billion dollars shorting Tesla.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Shear Modulus posted:

for a stock as volatile as gamestop the options are going to be hella expensive

That's why I chose a really bad bid. I'm pretty sure I won't get filled unless it goes up to ridiculous levels.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

reignofevil posted:

The only thing I can really offer in response is that dude who lost like a billion dollars shorting Tesla.

I just want my $500 GME lottery ticket.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/chrisfralic/status/1369625571630739456?s=21

This timeline is so cursed.

iSurrender
Aug 25, 2005
Now with 22% more apathy!
loving gamestonk, how does it work?!

The real crazy run so far today though is KOSS which was at +50% just a little while ago and now +100%

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

GME has incredible volatility so they’re expensive as poo poo and you’ll likely lose most/all/more than your investment no matter what

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

because the IV is super high therefore the premiums are very expensive

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

fwiw i find GME rather easy to day trade, i don't see any point in getting cute with expensive options. just use commons and make bank

however i do have years of experience scalping/trading shitcoins and super volatile stocks so if you aren't used to this then stay away lol. GME is basically a shitcoin that's having its 15 minutes of fame

iSurrender
Aug 25, 2005
NDRA has been my most successful stock for day trading. Dont care about the long term if the swings keep making me money.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

YeahTubaMike posted:

if there are more bids at $45 than shares available at $45 then the exchange has a lot of leeway in deciding whose bids get filled. then some of those people immediately turn around and sell their shares to the guys offering above 45. now the last trade price is above 45.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Oh good. Everything is red. I don't need to panic today.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

RCarr posted:

Higher

Anyway I thought it was supposed to open between 10-11 EST?

I did a quick google search and apparently IPOs open "whenever"

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Uranium 235 posted:

because the IV is super high therefore the premiums are very expensive

Okay, so basically I would be fighting premium decay once IV starts dropping?

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 22 days!
Is anyone else expecting GME to crash as WSB moves their meme stock focus to RBLX?

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Uranium 235 posted:

fwiw i find GME rather easy to day trade, i don't see any point in getting cute with expensive options. just use commons and make bank

however i do have years of experience scalping/trading shitcoins and super volatile stocks so if you aren't used to this then stay away lol. GME is basically a shitcoin that's having its 15 minutes of fame

Teach me your ways. I almost bought a few gme stocks at open/premarket and chickenedo ut :(

iSurrender posted:

NDRA has been my most successful stock for day trading. Dont care about the long term if the swings keep making me money.

can I ask your strategy here? Just buy low, wait for it to go above 2.30?
are there any minimum amounts of stock you consider worhtwhile to do this with?

TheParadigm fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Mar 10, 2021

iSurrender
Aug 25, 2005

TheParadigm posted:

can I ask your strategy here? Just buy low, wait for it to go above 2.30?

Basically yes

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

TheParadigm posted:

Teach me your ways. I almost bought a few gme stocks at open/premarket and chickenedo ut :(

i got in when 300 broke for the second time (after a couple rejections following the initial break). waiting for price to pull back to low 300s and took small position. on GME a small position can make a lot of money

volume increased after that second 300 break which gave me conviction that it could get follow through and head higher. i've been scaling out when the price shoots up on high volume, then adding back small amounts when the price pulls back in. buyers in full control, i'm going to keep doing this until they aren't

this is a thing that can't really be taught.. i mean i can tell you what i do but you probably won't be able to do it until you get a lot of experience yourself, and this style of trading is not for everyone. you really have to have the time to sit in front of the screen and make very quick decisions. i have thousands and thousands of hours of experience trading this way, have been doing it since 2017

some people are much better suited for trading on longer timeframes. just depends on personality i guess.

Uranium 235 fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Mar 10, 2021

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
lol gently caress me I'm in the green on gamestop now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

Grem posted:

Is anyone else expecting GME to crash as WSB moves their meme stock focus to RBLX?

WSB won't migrate until GME triples daily for a week straight