Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

e.pilot posted:

bike computers are cheap y’all, stop wrecking your phones

They’re not cheap but they are a hell of a lot cheaper than a new iPhone. Throw your iPhone in the saddle bag where it won’t die in a crash and get a bike computer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Dren posted:

They’re not cheap but they are a hell of a lot cheaper than a new iPhone. Throw your iPhone in the saddle bag where it won’t die in a crash and get a bike computer.

You can get a Garmin 130 for barely over $100, in the grand scheme of bikes that’s pretty cheap.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
This is a helluva lot easier than on my old garmin, but still not exactly a breeze to just punch in an address a mile from where you are and get going:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SQ5wvRXcD4&t=43s

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Yeah navigating around the city to pick up stuff from places I haven’t been I’ll use my phone but any capital r Rides I’ll use a bike computer

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

numberoneposter posted:

the weather is finally getting acceptable

I fell for that trap yesterday

first 3/4 of the ride was 54ish degrees, clear and no regrets about my choice to wear wool long sleeve jersey and normal riding gloves

then it started hailing, dropped 10 degrees and rain after the hail stopped :argh::argh::argh:

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
What's the difference between the Garmin Edge 130 and the Edge 130 Plus? They're the same price and the website isn't forthcoming.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

What's the difference between the Garmin Edge 130 and the Edge 130 Plus? They're the same price and the website isn't forthcoming.

https://onemanengine.com/garmin-edge-130-and-edge-130-plus-compared/

Biggus Duckus
Feb 13, 2012

Good computers with GPS and long battery life are almost the same price new as my Pixel 4a so I think I'll stick with that.

Don't assume everyone has a $1000 phone.

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

thanks!

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

If you do longer rides in more sparsely populated areas it's definitely worth it to get a GPS because it's a good idea to offload the battery drain and potential damage away from your communication device in case of an emergency or crash.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

a warrior fred

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Biggus Duckus posted:

Good computers with GPS and long battery life are almost the same price new as my Pixel 4a so I think I'll stick with that.

I’m not, a Garmin 130 is $170 new on amazon and frequently pops up refurbished for $125. If you go really barebones you can find used Garmin 25s on ebay for $75ish. I’m not talking about full featured $300+ bike computers.

Phones aren’t built to vibrate along with your handlebars for hours on end, especially the camera mechanism.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Biggus Duckus posted:

Then it’s less clear cut for you but a bike computer still makes sense. Bike computers are built to survive a crash that would trash your phone so if you do crash, you aren’t as likely to be buying a replacement device. Bike computers have better battery life while using the GPS so if you get stranded somewhere your phone will still have plenty of battery to make a call. If you crash and your phone isn’t totaled, you can call for help. Even better, get an apple watch for the fall detection feature. There are stories of cyclists who have been knocked out cold by a crash and woke up already in an ambulance because the watch called emergency services.

Plus, like e.pilot said the phone isn’t built for those vibrations. Nor is it as weatherproofed.

edit: there is also the psychological benefit of knowing you probably won’t trash your phone if you crash. replacing a phone is a large inconvenience, seeing my phone out on the front my bike would make me a bit uneasy all the time.

Dren fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Mar 10, 2021

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
pretty sure my iphone's autofocus is somewhat hosed up from being in a quadlock for a few hundred miles

edit: anyone wanna buy my quadlock and quadlock phone case for iphone xs? :v:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
My gut is that my phone would fare as badly when securely mounted at the bar as it would in my pocket if I fall to that side.
In any case, I wouldn't expect the phone in pocket to get off scott free in case of a crash.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

my anroid phone has battery and is cheaper than a bike computer i'm imagining :smuggo:

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

I'm planning a 115mi/+4200ft ride for Saturday. I'm going to die

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

kimbo305 posted:

My gut is that my phone would fare as badly when securely mounted at the bar as it would in my pocket if I fall to that side.
In any case, I wouldn't expect the phone in pocket to get off scott free in case of a crash.

Anecdotal but I’ve crashed dozens of times and never broken my phone in my pocket, that would have absolutely demolished a phone on my handlebars.

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender

canyoneer posted:

a warrior fred

I've been thinking about ways to carry archery equipment on my commuter. This is scary. Gonna crush his chain stays, bend his bow, and snap his arrows in one bad turn.

Edit: Maybe that black thing down to the chain stay is a stabilizer for his bow. It's actually held up by a waist belt? I'm even more scared

Giant Metal Robot fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Mar 10, 2021

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

EvilJoven posted:

Youll want to make sure the frame has the same width bottom bracket shell if somehow your crank isn't square taper, a head tube that's not too long for your fork, and the same brake bosses. Also make sure the new frame uses the same routing for the FD unless yours supports both top and bottom pull. Fortunately that era MTB had a lot more standardization than now.

That stunthumper should do the trick if all goes well and it looks rad af.

Edit: also hub spacing. Theres a chance your 97 will be 130mm and that bike is probably 135.
Tytyty.

Seller relisted the stumpjumper for $20 less and someone else jumped on it. drat.

e: Current bike is 8 speed so should be 135mm.

gvibes fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Mar 11, 2021

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
For short commutes or short recreational rides, a phone might be fine.

- Just keep in mind that no, battery life is not equal. I would not be able to use a phone on a longer ride unless I left it in my back pocket with the display off.
- In addition, direct sunlight + a hot day can/will cause most phones to overheat.
- Also yep, the GPS resolution, especially near tall office buildings or in the woods is going to be worse than a dedicated bike computer.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Giant Metal Robot posted:

I've been thinking about ways to carry archery equipment on my commuter. This is scary. Gonna crush his chain stays, bend his bow, and snap his arrows in one bad turn.

Edit: Maybe that black thing down to the chain stay is a stabilizer for his bow. It's actually held up by a waist belt? I'm even more scared

Cogburn went out of business a while back but they made a gear carrier with a simple design you might be able to emulate using ATV equipment holders. I picked some up on clearance to see if I could rack my rifle to my bike and it worked a treat, although for a bow you'd probably want that backing plate since rotation will be more of an issue. I also mounted it to my fork so I wouldn't have to give up a pannier, but I don't think you could do that with a bow.

http://cogburnoutdoors.com/gear

Coxswain Balls fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Mar 11, 2021

Serendipitaet
Apr 19, 2009
Thanks for all the input and good to see the spirited discussion. The lower end Garmins are probably going to be fine for what I need.

Here’s my bike btw, had a good time on my first ride. 😊

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

the edge 500 cant be killed

im not even sure what happened to mine

but its out there

recording data :ninja:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Biggus Duckus posted:

Here the Pixel 4a costs £350 and a Garmin Edge 520 costs £160, both new

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I bought the edge explore and the battery life is hilariously bad, you are also beholden to the majority of riders in your area not being complete morons when it comes to routing. Other than that it’s fine.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Routing wise I find it's 1000x better to make a route on ridewithgps or strava or such rather than try to make one with the actual internal route builder.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
The courses function is good to be fair, but the fact that it does not prioritise the National cycle network on mixed surface routing is just nuts, you have to get to the end of the off road parts and then hit your pre-saved destination or some absolute weapon who uses a major roundabout on his daily commute to save 30 seconds will send you completely the wrong way.

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
I got a Wahoo Element Bolt yesterday, seems like a pretty good computer.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Routing wise I find it's 1000x better to make a route on ridewithgps or strava or such rather than try to make one with the actual internal route builder.

:hmmyes:

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Definitely, the real secret is that garmin connect has a drat good route planner on their site that has all the historic route data baked in like strava. They loving hide it in courses under the training menu though instead of pushing it.
e: if you use a garmin

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

On-device routing is trash, and even smartphone apps like Google Maps and even RWGPS and Strava routes need some manual massaging. Emphasizing on-device routing is a fool's errand IMO. If you're really lost you're going to pull over and pull out your phone maps to figure out what to do anyway.

To really plan a good route requires ahead of time planning and mixing with your own local knowledge. Bike maps and routing is just not even close to a solved problem yet and still needs a human in the loop.

All the best routing tools still route me down busy arterials and through terrible intersections when quiet neighborhood greenways and side streets are just a block away. And this is in Seattle, one of the most bike friendly and tech-driven cities in the US (a low bar, but still).

Guinness fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Mar 11, 2021

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Yeah, it's probably a close to unsolvable problem.
Because not everyone wants to be routed down the side streets or greenways.
Personally, I tend to avoid most of them (riding in Seattle like you) because they have way more blind and uncontrolled intersections, whereas on the arterials I know are safe to ride on I know what to expect.

Heatmap routing will bias towards the type of riders that are uploading their poo poo to Garmin and Strava, which is probably why you see more routing on routes that confident cyclists prefer.
Until there's dataset of maps that has streets flagged as "good for all ages & abilities riders", I dunno how any routing software could accommodate preference differences.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

FireTora posted:

Definitely, the real secret is that garmin connect has a drat good route planner on their site that has all the historic route data baked in like strava. They loving hide it in courses under the training menu though instead of pushing it.
e: if you use a garmin

Yeah, it's the best clicky-pointy route builder out there (vs Strava, Komoot, Ridewithgps, mapmyrun, and OS Maps' own bullshit crap) and it's a shame that Garmin just hide it away. Quite frankly the whole of Garmin Connect needs a kick up the arse.

meltie fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Mar 11, 2021

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

bicievino posted:

Yeah, it's probably a close to unsolvable problem.
Because not everyone wants to be routed down the side streets or greenways.
Personally, I tend to avoid most of them (riding in Seattle like you) because they have way more blind and uncontrolled intersections, whereas on the arterials I know are safe to ride on I know what to expect.

Heatmap routing will bias towards the type of riders that are uploading their poo poo to Garmin and Strava, which is probably why you see more routing on routes that confident cyclists prefer.
Until there's dataset of maps that has streets flagged as "good for all ages & abilities riders", I dunno how any routing software could accommodate preference differences.

Totally, and I get what you're saying, but when Google or Strava routes me down Rainier Ave between Beacon Hill & Columbia City, statistically the most dangerous major street in Seattle for vehicles, bikes, and pedestrians because it's practically a highway without bike lanes or even a shoulder, then something has gone off the rails. Especially when there are multiple parallel streets with bike lanes and local-access-only greenways a block or two away.

I'll ride in traffic and take the lane with the best of them, but sometimes the automatic bike routing is just objectively wrong IMO.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Having offline maps to help figure out where you are is also a good call if you can be quickly out of cell phone range (like where I live).

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

meltie posted:

Yeah, it's the best clicky-pointy route builder out there (vs Strava, Komoot, Ridewithgps, mapmyrun, and OS Maps' own bullshit crap) and it's a shame that Garmin just hide it away. Quite frankly the whole of Garmin Connect needs a kick up the arse.

I use a lot of Garmin aviation stuff as well and I can assure you it’s all of Garmin not just connect.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Depending on where you live/visit you have to be quite careful what routes you follow on Strava heatmaps due to pro races. When I was in the Algarve I plotted a route that would take me the wrong way over a bridge that bikes aren't allowed to be on because it was bright red on the heatmap due to the Volta Algarve.

I treat them as a tool to help me but not the be all end/all of a route.

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

Is there a reason why bike fitments are booked for two hours?
Most places here in Austin want $300 for a two hour block.

Edit: I'm in the wrong business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

DevCore posted:

Is there a reason why bike fitments are booked for two hours?
Most places here in Austin want $300 for a two hour block.

Edit: I'm in the wrong business.

Bike fittings, done properly, take ages. My first one took about 3 hours.