Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I am participating in a team-based candidate interview over Teams right now. It's actually not terribly, you're doing good, guy!

Edit: Oh god, we are at the "What are you strengths/weaknesses" phase of the interview.

TotalLossBrain fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Mar 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Strengths: Stronger than a locomotive, faster than a speeding bullet, can leap tall buildings in a single bound,

Weaknesses: My widowed mother's health and well being, kryptonite

72nd bday virgin
Dec 8, 2013

Put a bunch of money and effort into switching to a self-managed workforce management system then laid off the workforce management team, then later had to re-fill their positions because they needed a workforce management team to sit there and approve or reject everyone's self-managed workforce management actions.

72nd bday virgin
Dec 8, 2013

forcing all the employees to provide debriefings to a machine learning AI whose purpose is to replace the department

72nd bday virgin
Dec 8, 2013

Put heavy restrictions on admin tool use now that we work from home and for example I work with websites designed for desktop every day except I am only allowed to access them from mobile devices.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
My main weakness is that I work too hard.

72nd bday virgin
Dec 8, 2013

Heavily gated communication between collaborators, to reach out to anyone in another department we have to carry out a 16 step formal request process which involves mostly lots of data entry b/c they couldn't figure out how to pull that data from our CRM, and then blamed the drop in productivity on people not having good enough internet service plans @ home despite us all having the best available in our respective cities b/c we can expense account it

72nd bday virgin
Dec 8, 2013

Insistence that consumer-facing documentation and internal documentation are exact mirrors of one another, so our internal documentation of our technology is a complex tapestry of PR snippets and short blurbs tweeted on release day

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Yes, but do you have a test environment to deploy things to before they go to production?

72nd bday virgin
Dec 8, 2013

Batterypowered7 posted:

Yes, but do you have a test environment to deploy things to before they go to production?

I have to go through a 16 step formal request process to submit a request to someone to be able to deploy to staging, that request then has to be reviewed by someone and if they agree to it, they have to fill out a 16-step formal request process to reach out to the team controlling the staging branch to ask if I am allowed to submit a request to deploy to staging - if they grant my request, I have to go through a 16 step formal request process to submit my request to the stakeholders, if they approve of my request they will inform another person, who will schedule a meeting between them and my direct lead when there is a time sync on their calendars, the team in control of staging will inform my lead that I am able to deploy, and a calendar invite will then be scheduled for a time when my calendar syncs with my lead's who will inform me that I am able to deploy

72nd bday virgin
Dec 8, 2013

it's non-Euclidean cyberspace

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE

72nd bday virgin posted:

I have to go through a 16 step formal request process to submit a request to someone to be able to deploy to staging, that request then has to be reviewed by someone and if they agree to it, they have to fill out a 16-step formal request process to reach out to the team controlling the staging branch to ask if I am allowed to submit a request to deploy to staging - if they grant my request, I have to go through a 16 step formal request process to submit my request to the stakeholders, if they approve of my request they will inform another person, who will schedule a meeting between them and my direct lead when there is a time sync on their calendars, the team in control of staging will inform my lead that I am able to deploy, and a calendar invite will then be scheduled for a time when my calendar syncs with my lead's who will inform me that I am able to deploy

Some people think implementing every single step in the ITIL book is a good thing.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Hey man don't rock the boat

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Today at the fire academy the instructors didn't hear a trainee declare he was running low on air, with the end result of the poor sod running completely dry in a heavily heated building filled with too much smoke to see, yelling "I'm out of air!" and bolting for the exit. Dude managed to make it to clean air holding his breath before he unplugged from the empty air tank, but dang that could have been ugly.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

My main weakness is energy weapons.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Strengths: Excellent business sense, great interpersonal people skills, amazing task prioritization and getting to the root cause of problems

Weaknesses: Treating things that have a 1% chance of happening as an absolute certainty, Untreated PTSD, Jokes

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://www.askamanager.org/2019/02/my-coworker-is-setting-toilet-paper-on-fire-in-the-bathroom.html

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Same, also sometimes I forget to deposit my paycheck

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
I should not have to say this to anyone much less someone who's run several large and small businesses. But. Do not send documents marked 'draft' to clients and partner organizations without asking me. This especially applies when the document is clearly half finished, unformatted, and full of random photographs that mean nothing. I mean holy poo poo dude.

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME

72nd bday virgin posted:

forcing all the employees to provide debriefings to a machine learning AI whose purpose is to replace the department

That sounds really open to the kind of subtle sabotage that won't be picked up on until it goes live.

72nd bday virgin
Dec 8, 2013

We have customer-facing pricing & features pages that are flat out wrong but no one is willing to fix them because someone lost or overwrote the master document about what features are supposed to be available at what price points. Every time I have brought this up a meeting was called and someone was assigned to create a valid feature key but a few weeks later they tell everyone it's not possible because they have nothing to reference. Marketing is not willing to update the customer-facing pages without a valid feature key and product teams aren't willing to create a valid feature key because they don't remember what their intent was when they created the price points

72nd bday virgin
Dec 8, 2013

I have 15 years of experience in our industry and have been with the company for 4 years, but no one will listen to me because someone with 5 years of experience in the industry who has been with the company for 5 years and is therefore the most senior employee still there, 'doesn't know' if the things I say are correct, but doesn't understand them well enough to investigate

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
You should burn that place to the floor.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Today we got free fruit cups an/or a yogurt parfait to say thank you for all the loud rear end construction noise we've had to deal with.

I feel appreciated.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Lmao. I've been a machinist since I was 13 and have been an engineer for 5 years and people still treat me like I'm a college grad and I don't understand turbomachinery.

Business is hosed.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Me two years ago: theyre're going to run out of serial numbers in a couple years
Them: what? They have like 1 million of them
Me: yes, a million exactly that are gonna run out in 2 years
Them: ok maybe but we probably won't even have a contract here then anyway

Guess where we still have a contract and what happened today

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987
The inventory tracking/traceability system used in the factory I work in has an original copyright date of 1980. It is literally as old as I am.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

2018: "Sorry guys, rough year, don't expect a bonus or a raise. We promise to fix this next year!"

2019: "Oh man, so we had a lot of money, but we uh... we kind of spent it on a lot of computer upgrades. No bonus or raise, BUT we promise you this will lead to a raise next year!"

2020: "So we're busier than ever and making more money than ever, but you know, really the bonus and your raise is based on how you did the PREVIOUS year when you think about it. So expect a bonus in 2021. Also we just gave a half million dollar bonus to an executive but please ignore that."

2021 (so far): "Yeah this project we asked everybody to roll out under an insane time crunch isn't working, it's way more expensive than we thought. So it doesn't look good for a bonus. But maybe? Make sure you work your rear end off just in case, okay?"

Upper management: Why the HELL are people so angry here? And why is turnover so high?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

turbomachinery.

No idea what this is but it sounds fuckin metal as hell

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It's machinery, but turbo.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

SniperWoreConverse posted:

No idea what this is but it sounds fuckin metal as hell

The mechanical poo poo that enables pumping out the tanks of a falcon 9 in 50 seconds.

Also jet engines.

It is very metal :haw:

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

my wife's work is giving out 125% bonuses this year and at the same time telling everyone they have to come back to the office, this is an industry where it's now standard to let people work from home full time. they are expecting a bloodbath of people quitting once the bonus checks go out

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Outrail posted:

I should not have to say this to anyone much less someone who's run several large and small businesses. But. Do not send documents marked 'draft' to clients and partner organizations without asking me. This especially applies when the document is clearly half finished, unformatted, and full of random photographs that mean nothing. I mean holy poo poo dude.

poo poo like this is why I had to stop providing drafts of anything, there's always someone who won't think and will just hit the forward button and, let's say, reveal the company's costs for products to the customer who didn't know what kind of markup they were getting.

The last time I marked up an email for someone in this job they just sent it along with the corrections I made still in red. I just don't understand how people get this way.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

zedprime posted:

Me two years ago: theyre're going to run out of serial numbers in a couple years
Them: what? They have like 1 million of them
Me: yes, a million exactly that are gonna run out in 2 years
Them: ok maybe but we probably won't even have a contract here then anyway

Guess where we still have a contract and what happened today

Oh hey, I just had this argument with our IT department (and sort of lost) about this hell software. Turns out that they aggressively prune behind the scenes without telling us and don't give us whatever access they have to actually see more than one database entry at a time, so at least for now it's "not a problem".
It'll be a problem down the line, but a) hopefully I won't be here by then, b) if I am then I already warned them.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:

boar guy posted:

my wife's work is giving out 125% bonuses this year and at the same time telling everyone they have to come back to the office, this is an industry where it's now standard to let people work from home full time. they are expecting a bloodbath of people quitting once the bonus checks go out

Wish I worked here. I got a ‘promotion’ and a bonus of loving zero. I’d be the happiest quitter on earth if I got 125% before going

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

TotalLossBrain posted:

I am participating in a team-based candidate interview over Teams right now. It's actually not terribly, you're doing good, guy!

Edit: Oh god, we are at the "What are you strengths/weaknesses" phase of the interview.

I'm so glad I've never had an intern that has trotted out that kind of bullshit

AtomicFishStick
Mar 10, 2021

LAWL Can I have ur ICQ #???
My company has my project "Team" spread between several different jobs instead of focusing on one project at a time. I'm lucky if I see my PM and engineer once a week. So now I have the lucky task of doing most of this project alone 90% of the time! YAY!

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
I bought a bunch of toilet paper for the office and it turns out it was crappy single ply. Whoops.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

All vacacion hours must be booked by June 1
At least 25% of vacation hours must be used before June 30

I've been in lockdown for over a hundred days. Suck my dick, I'll take my vacation when I loving want

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

boar guy posted:

I've been interviewing internally and externally since maybe September.

We got our bonus and raise announcements last month. Bonus will be paid out in 2 weeks time. 8% bonus, meh. 3% raise, poo poo.

Last week I asked my boss if I could have the last week of March off and it was approved. This would mean I've cleared out all my leave for last year (leave calendar starts on 1 April).

I've received an offer for a promotion (comes with a 20% raise) and a transfer to a different department in the same company; I just gave notice to my current manager after confirming it with HR that, yes, I keep the bonus.

I've also timed it so that my new role starts the day I get back from leave.

:yotj: