Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

DelphiAegis posted:

Boy let me tell you about how the first nuclear weapons were designed! They were in fact, a gun where you had two sub-critical masses of Uranium and you fired one into the other and squeezing them together in the right shape made them supercritical and then BOOM!

In all seriousness though, if you want a fantastically explained intro to Nuclear Weapons and how it all works, SA's own resident illectro a.k.a. Scott Manley's "Going Nuclear" series is amazing. Here's the first video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWWjbnAVFKA
Wait, Scott Manley is a goon? :krad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017

Platystemon posted:

Popular Mechanics, July 1961

I appreciate that there are a lot of things that are insane about the californium six shooter, but are none of us talking about the 'one complication'?

Where, spatially speaking, is that bullet decaying? Just get yourself an extremely leaded holster to prevent your Clint Nukewood balls from being annihilated I guess

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
253 has no gamma and mostly beta according to Wikipedia so yeah a lead holster is sufficient

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

EvenWorseOpinions posted:

I appreciate that there are a lot of things that are insane about the californium six shooter, but are none of us talking about the 'one complication'?

Where, spatially speaking, is that bullet decaying? Just get yourself an extremely leaded holster to prevent your Clint Nukewood balls from being annihilated I guess
The other problem would be dying in the blast equivalent to 10 tons of TNT. The Oklahoma City bombing had a explosion the equivalent of 2.5 tons of TNT. Shooting a bomb 4 times as strong with the range of a pistol is... unwise.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

going to go out on the limb to suggest that maybe a bullet-sized californium bomb would not compress and thus burn very efficiently

and god help any metallurgists who try to study the properties of its multiple crystal phases

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Potato Salad posted:

going to go out on the limb to suggest that maybe a bullet-sized californium bomb would not compress and thus burn very efficiently

and god help any metallurgists who try to study the properties of its multiple crystal phases

Extreme crystal phases are really neat. I don't know much - they're only tangentially related to my field - but then, nobody knows much. That's kind of the point. Prediction of phase changes from first principles is just good enough that we can sometimes guess where to look, and not much use after that. And, of course, the problem with phases that only occur under extreme pressure/temperature conditions or are of short lived materials is that they're very hard to study, because they vanish so quickly. There is a push to look for metastable phases, and I believe even some predicted possibilities, but I don't recall seeing any literature on actual successes yet.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017

gonadic io posted:

253 has no gamma and mostly beta according to Wikipedia so yeah a lead holster is sufficient

That surprises me with it being so heavy, but I know only enough about nuclear physics to know "Yeah okay alright I'll call a professional"

CannonFodder posted:

The other problem would be dying in the blast equivalent to 10 tons of TNT. The Oklahoma City bombing had a explosion the equivalent of 2.5 tons of TNT. Shooting a bomb 4 times as strong with the range of a pistol is... unwise.

That one's simple, you fire it at a 45 degree angle towards the enemy then hop in the refrigerator and close the door.

Potato Salad posted:

Somewhere, Klapötke's ears started burning

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Jabor posted:

Yeah, it'd cost about a billion dollars just for the raw material, and somehow 800 million of that would end up in LockMart's hands.

The bullet itself will be the $189 million, the X45-2 Supersonic projectile device with a mini-nuclear warhead and 30 tons of 920 mm steel anti-nuclear plating with infrared, sonar and x-ray vision that will never leave the test phase accounts for the rest

Congress will appropriate $6.3 trillion over the next decade for it because the military says it needs this gun to counter China

Seth Pecksniff fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Mar 10, 2021

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Just need an X-15

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I'm still not hearing anything dumber than actual US projects still in development.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

CannonFodder posted:

Always has been

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

CannonFodder posted:

gently caress yeah he is. Honestly scrolling through his uploads to find the going nuclear series, there is such a diverse nerdy subject set to his videos, it's a wonder he gets anything done at all. And his kids are awesome and adorable whenever he brings them in for a video. :3:

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

By popular demand posted:

I'm still not hearing anything dumber than actual US projects still in development.

The Californium 253 has to be made in 45 different Congressional Districts even though only 10 currently have the facilities to create it. 35 facilities must first be built. Then it is all shipped to yet another 14 locations to be formed into bullets.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Ohio's wonderful 4th district is proud to receive 50 billion dollars a year to produce 1 Californium atom.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

CannonFodder posted:

The Californium 253 has to be made in 45 different Congressional Districts even though only 10 currently have the facilities to create it. 35 facilities must first be built. Then it is all shipped to yet another 14 locations to be formed into bullets.

Each of these facilities will be named the "John/Jane Q. Congressman/woman job and or/money printer go brr facility"

everydayfalls
Aug 23, 2016
We interrupt nuclear chat to watch someone’s gran nearly get clocked by a tree

https://i.imgur.com/ZdprBrW.gifv

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
https://twitter.com/barstoolsports/status/1369517696904224769

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Log082 posted:

Extreme crystal phases are really neat. I don't know much - they're only tangentially related to my field - but then, nobody knows much. That's kind of the point. Prediction of phase changes from first principles is just good enough that we can sometimes guess where to look, and not much use after that. And, of course, the problem with phases that only occur under extreme pressure/temperature conditions or are of short lived materials is that they're very hard to study, because they vanish so quickly. There is a push to look for metastable phases, and I believe even some predicted possibilities, but I don't recall seeing any literature on actual successes yet.

I've got a thrift-store-find copy of the ANS Plutonium Handbook that goes deep into actinide metallurgy, if you're interested I can post some scans later

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

everydayfalls posted:

We interrupt nuclear chat to watch someone’s gran nearly get clocked by a tree

https://i.imgur.com/ZdprBrW.gifv

Shes a lucky lady

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Elviscat posted:

That's not how (super)critically is achieved.

In the case of nuclear weapons you smush a bunch of fissile material together really fast, and it forms a critical mass with a huge excess of reactivity that very rapidly undergoes fission by fast moving neutrons.

In the case of nuclear reactors (the critical bullets we're talking about) you either take away neutron absorbing material from a critical mass, or in this case introduce a subcritical mass to a neutron moderator (the water in blood) that slows the neutrons down, making them more readily absorbed by the fissile material (cross section for absorption in U235 and Pu239 is higher for lower energy neutrons) and making the mass critical without the addition of more fissile material, this is the same mechanism for criticality that the scientists that got killed by the demon core were experimenting with.

Make the barrel of an artillery gun out of a neutron absorbing material. A super critical plutonium shell is loaded into the breach. ( it would have to be loaded directly from a sleeve that was also a neutron absorber.

When you fire, the slug exits at Mach 2 and starts to go critical when it leaves the barrel. Today's homework question is how far away from the gun will the slug be when it explodes.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Since both the Davy Crockett and the equivalent Russian nuclear artillery shells are a complete device rather than a core I'm guessing the answer is TOO CLOSE.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

WorldsStongestNerd posted:

When you fire, the slug exits at Mach 2 and starts to go critical when it leaves the barrel. Today's homework question is how far away from the gun will the slug be when it explodes.

Not far at all. Nuclear reactions happen incredibly quickly, a nuclear bomb's detonation is complete in a few tens of nanoseconds. Even with a hypersonic muzzle velocity that thing's not even getting an inch downrange before it's done.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Jet Jaguar posted:

I forget, WHY did somebody feel the need to stage this, what could have been one of the last things they ever saw?

Welcome to the portion of DOE run by the DOD: They have much looser standards and safety protocols than the Civilian run NRC oversighted DOE sites, and that's saying something.

It got to the point that Safety Officers were resigning en masse because Contractors REFUSED to follow safety protocols and implement changes to improve safety. The DOD portion of the DOE labs gets away with a lot of really sketchy poo poo in handling Weapons Grade plutonium.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Mar 10, 2021

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Attempting to transport a big ol' piece of glass in an elevator

https://i.imgur.com/QwsbOPU.mp4

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Hollywood says reactors are “critical” like it’s a bad thing, when it’s actually the steady operating state.

The scary scenario is going “prompt supercritical”, and that just sounds cooler.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Platystemon posted:

Hollywood says reactors are “critical” like it’s a bad thing, when it’s actually the steady operating state.

The scary scenario is going “prompt supercritical”, and that just sounds cooler.

Yeah, its pretty annoying. I do Nuclear energy and science outreach and that's one of the questions kids pop a lot.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Platystemon posted:

And if you can't make your reactor go supercritical then you could never increase power.

quote:

Scary awesome.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Is prompt supercritical similar in its intent to the phrase 'rapid unplanned disassembly' or 'rapod-ox event'?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Platystemon posted:

I mean, not to give Hollywood too much credit, but "critical" outside of a reactor does tend to be a big fuckin deal, and I imagine that makes it easy enough to take as the technobabble word for "radioactive problem" if you're not versed in how a reactor operates.

e: kinda like how gasoline vapor deflagrations inside the piston in an IC engine are fine and cool, but when they happen on the pavement at the gas pump it's An Issue

Phy fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Mar 10, 2021

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

Is prompt supercritical similar in its intent to the phrase 'rapid unplanned disassembly' or 'rapod-ox event'?

It can be, depending on if you can damper it fast enough. Or it dampers itself like SL-1 through RUD....

Phy posted:

I mean, not to give Hollywood too much credit, but "critical" outside of a reactor does tend to be a big fuckin deal, and I imagine that makes it easy enough to take as the technobabble word for "radioactive problem" if you're not versed in how a reactor operates.

Critical would be a stable configuration where you are neither adding or subtracting from your total neutrons in your reaction. Supercritical would be the bad one outside of a reactor, as that means overall reactivity is increasing and neutron count is accelerating.

Subcritical is neutron population is decreasing.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Mar 10, 2021

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

shame on an IGA posted:

I've got a thrift-store-find copy of the ANS Plutonium Handbook that goes deep into actinide metallurgy, if you're interested I can post some scans later

Oh hell yes.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

When a big atom fissions, it releases some neutrons and some radioactive daughter elements. Those radioactive daughter elements have their own half-lives and will themselves decay. Some of them are long-lived and become the elements you're concerned about if your reactor blows up. Some of them are much longer-lived than that and become the elements you're concerned about when it's time to dispose of your fuel rods. Some of them are much shorter-lived and have half-lives on the order of milliseconds or minutes, and when they decay they release their own additional neutrons.

The neutrons released directly when the uranium or plutonium or whatever fissions are called prompt neutrons. They show up very rapidly, and are called prompt neutrons. The neutrons emitted by the rapid decays of the daughters show up milliseconds to minutes later, and are called delayed neutrons.

It is that phenomenon that makes control of a fission reactor possible, it's what gives your control loop time to work: you arrange things so that if you consider only the prompt neutrons, then your reactor geometry is subcritical, and will die off. But then when the delayed neutrons show up, the additional reactivity they bring kicks your reaction rate up.

All "critical" means is that your reaction is proceeding at steady-state: it is neither increasing in power or decreasing in power. Subcritical means the rate is declining, supercritical means it's increasing. So bringing your reactor supercritical is part of the normal operating regime: you need to do this to increase power at all.

But "prompt supercritical" means that it is supercritical based only off of the prompt neutrons, and even more reactivity is just milliseconds away, and means you've probably got a biiiig positive feedback loop underway and things are blowing up right now.

So in other words yes.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
I want to be the manager of soothing words for uncomfortable events.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

No. It’s all technical.

The critical point is the balance point of fission events.

When the reactor is supercritical, each nucleus that splits will go on to cause the splitting of, on average, more than one nucleus elsewhere in the fuel. The reaction increases in intensity.

When the reactor is subcritical, each split nucleus causes an average of less than one to split elsewhere. The reaction declines.

A critical reactor is at balance, with activity that sustains itself and neither increases or decreases in intensity.

The “prompt” in “prompt supercritcal” refers to “prompt neutrons”. These are emitted from a split atom almost instantly. If, on average, one of these prompt neutrons triggers the release of more than prompt neutron elsewhere, exponential growth takes you from a single split to “all your fuel split” in moments. This is what happens in atomic bombs.

The way to go supercritical (throttle up the reactor) in a controlled fashion is with delayed neutrons. Now there’s some real time between the steps of exponential growth and it is gradual enough to be arrested by other forces (ideally passively) at a reaction rate that can be sustained by the reactor’s construction, not destroy it.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Mar 10, 2021

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Its worth noting Prompt Criticality can happen in Reactors (as it did in SL-1) but its neither desired nor encouraged.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticality_accident#Known_incidents

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

CommieGIR posted:

It can be, depending on if you can damper it fast enough. Or it dampers itself like SL-1 through RUD....

Critical would be a stable configuration where you are neither adding or subtracting from your total neutrons in your reaction. Supercritical would be the bad one outside of a reactor, as that means overall reactivity is increasing and neutron count is accelerating.

Subcritical is neutron population is decreasing.

Ok, but am I correct that if "critical" means "a self-sustaining fission reaction where the number of neutrons pinging about the fissile material is neither increasing nor decreasing", you still don't want to be standing next to it if it's unshielded and uncontrolled?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Phy posted:

Ok, but am I correct that if "critical" means "a self-sustaining fission reaction where the number of neutrons pinging about the fissile material is neither increasing nor decreasing", you still don't want to be standing next to it if it's unshielded and uncontrolled?

Yes, but usually in films they refer to it "going critical" which would mean its operating at a stable state when really they mean, usually that its going supercritical and running away in an excursion event.

Its really one of those scientific terms that's been abused so often that people just use it the wrong way and everybody understands what they mean.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Prompt critical is sort of like the nuclear equivalent of diesel runaway- the reactor has found its way into a positive feedback loop based only on things that humans cannot take away from it. So it will increase its output until some component exceeds its tolerance or some resource is fully consumed. Of course when a diesel engine rips itself apart it doesn't poison the surrounding area for decades.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

haveblue posted:

Prompt critical is sort of like the nuclear equivalent of diesel runaway- the reactor has found its way into a positive feedback loop based only on things that humans cannot take away from it. So it will increase its output until some component exceeds its tolerance or some resource is fully consumed. Of course when a diesel engine rips itself apart it doesn't poison the surrounding area for decades.
I get the difference in magnitudes but I wouldn't really count out the last part for a diesel (and it's attending fluids) release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Writing "superdupercritical" into my next post-apocalyptic novel