Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
the ios app is dece too, especially on big ipad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
microsoft can make good software if they use a good framework, like electron

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Shaggar posted:

failfox probably didnt handle whatever audio source change message got sent and switching the output resent whatever message and failfox handled it properly. so, indeed, it was a linux sound issue

Yeah, chrome is much better

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
here's something dumb - i plugged one of my wii usb controllers into my computer to play nier automata since a friend bought it for me. its a dope game. my computer won't put the screens or system to sleep, though, when the controller is plugged in.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
I have a vague feeling that I had this problem at one point and blamed it on joystick drift keeping the PC awake

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Perplx posted:

microsoft can make good software if they use a good framework, like electron

like, the electron?

*scoff* i should think so!!

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

President Beep posted:

any of you goons know if it’s possible to use multiple monitors in windows remote desktop? I’m using the newer one that’s free from their app store with windows ten. everything i can find online so far seems to refer to the older version.

my recollection is that the newer app store rdp client sucks total hippo poo poo. it's garbage that was probably shoveled out by some dipshit on the quick and doesn't even have all the features the old client did.

hit the start menu and type in mstsc and hit enter. that should bring up the standard built-in RDP client and as long as the server supports multi-monitor, the RDP client can handle it.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

my recollection is that the newer app store rdp client sucks total hippo poo poo. it's garbage that was probably shoveled out by some dipshit on the quick and doesn't even have all the features the old client did.

hit the start menu and type in mstsc and hit enter. that should bring up the standard built-in RDP client and as long as the server supports multi-monitor, the RDP client can handle it.

god bless

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

bobbilljim posted:

I have a vague feeling that I had this problem at one point and blamed it on joystick drift keeping the PC awake

yup it's almost definitely this, nintendo's analogue controllers are notorious for drifting

use powercfg -lastwake to confirm and windows' joystick calibration util to enlarge the deadzone

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

Yeah I use it on the daily and the old one is far superior except that you can't use ctrl+alt+down as a kb shortcut in the remote

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

flakeloaf posted:

yup it's almost definitely this, nintendo's analogue controllers are notorious for drifting

use powercfg -lastwake to confirm and windows' joystick calibration util to enlarge the deadzone

powercfg isn't gonna tell me anything because my computer never goes to sleep. i right now just have the screens turning off. this is because my windows password is a 17 character password that was generated by apple for my school email which somehow became my computer password in windows 10.

joystick drift explains the problem well, though. my plan right now is to just plug the controller in when i want to game.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

there's a different powercfg switch that will run a sample interval for a minute or two and tell you if there are any devices or processes that are preventing transitioning to sleep. I can't be assed to look up the exact command because I'm on a mac and no longer have to give a poo poo about that stuff.

has anyone done a 3rd party swap for the joycon analog sticks? I managed to sneak my bad ones in on the small window where they admitted the problem and offered free fixes but I'm guessing they're done with that now

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

has anyone done a 3rd party swap for the joycon analog sticks? I managed to sneak my bad ones in on the small window where they admitted the problem and offered free fixes but I'm guessing they're done with that now

i walked my sister through doing it over zoom and she successfully fixed 3 of 4 herself. (be careful not to pull the battery connector too hard).

just get whatever repair kit is recommended on amazon and follow the ifixit tutorial. it's easy if you have ever done electronics repair before

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
mine isn't wireless so it's just as easy to unplug rather than worry about it since it doesn't affect gameplay (except in overcooked).

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

in firefox youtube is sending all keystrokes to the player shortcuts instead of the search bar, so I can't for example type a space in the search bar. I uninstalled youtube enhancer and its still happening. wtf. just started today. anyone else experienced this?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Jenny Agutter posted:

in firefox youtube is sending all keystrokes to the player shortcuts instead of the search bar, so I can't for example type a space in the search bar. I uninstalled youtube enhancer and its still happening. wtf. just started today. anyone else experienced this?

when that ui element if focused? surely that is some gigantic firefox bug, or more likely, still some extension doing something very dumb

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

when that ui element if focused? surely that is some gigantic firefox bug, or more likely, still some extension doing something very dumb

i can focus the search box by doing tab, shift+tab and i can use space but other keys like 'i' still get eaten by youtube shortcuts

e: disabling all addons didn't help lol

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

someone in SH/SC is having the same issue, must be a youtube change. I wonder if google people are even allowed to test on firefox

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

Jenny Agutter posted:

someone in SH/SC is having the same issue, must be a youtube change. I wonder if google people are even allowed to test on firefox

iirc they make it worse on purpose. idk if this is still true, but once upon a time spoofing the user agent to mimic chrome made youtube and other google sites actually work properly in firefox

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
remember when there was an undocumented flag to fast-forward you to the 32% point of a video which they statistically determined was when promoted youtubes stop shilling and start talking about the topic

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

remember when there was an undocumented flag to fast-forward you to the 32% point of a video which they statistically determined was when promoted youtubes stop shilling and start talking about the topic

https://sponsor.ajay.app

incredibly valuable addon

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Sagebrush posted:

https://sponsor.ajay.app

incredibly valuable addon
i use this and now i only hear the awkward sponsorship segues instead of the actual skillshare/brilliant ads. it also cuts out the annoyingly loud intros on hydraulic press channel

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Is there any way of telling how long Cipher /w will take on a drive of a certain size? I'm pulling an old 3tb spinning disk out of my PC and am wondering if I should hold on to it and secure wipe it or just pull it and take the platters out for more drinks coasters.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Should be roughly the drive capacity divided by the sequential write speed from a hdd benchmark, x3 for the 3 passes

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

if you connect to a lot of computers through rdp rdcman.msi is the best one and still works fine

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
i've been using rd tabs lately, suits my needs vOv

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

don’t connect to windows machines imo

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
i bought a brand new dell a week ago and it has already had two major problems and i am at my wits loving end

it has windows ten and in one weeks time it has
* had perfectly working bluetooth for 24 hours and then crapped out and stopped working forever. The bluetooth driver has a yellow icon but updating it does nothing
* had a perfectly working usb mic (a blue yeti) for 24 hours and then it also forgot how to loving do that for some reason, even though it shows up normally in the driver list. It just doesn't show up as a sound input.

I'm about ready to throw this thing in the trash because i bought it for my wife's online job and these two problems make it fucken worthless for her online poo poo.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Corla Plankun posted:

i bought a brand new dell a week ago and it has already had two major problems and i am at my wits loving end

it has windows ten and in one weeks time it has
* had perfectly working bluetooth for 24 hours and then crapped out and stopped working forever. The bluetooth driver has a yellow icon but updating it does nothing
* had a perfectly working usb mic (a blue yeti) for 24 hours and then it also forgot how to loving do that for some reason, even though it shows up normally in the driver list. It just doesn't show up as a sound input.

I'm about ready to throw this thing in the trash because i bought it for my wife's online job and these two problems make it fucken worthless for her online poo poo.

what i usually do w/ a new system, especially if it's having issues is lookup the model number + mfr on google, and go to their product page. go to support, downloads and download all the available drivers for your system, including the firmware for the mainboard. update everything and that should help

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
if driver/firmware install doesn't fix it then just call chat with dell support and get it repaired or replaced under warranty.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

Broken Machine posted:

what i usually do w/ a new system, especially if it's having issues is lookup the model number + mfr on google, and go to their product page. go to support, downloads and download all the available drivers for your system, including the firmware for the mainboard. update everything and that should help

interesting! i thought i didn't have to do this poo poo with a non homebuilt system but I'll try that out tonight. i also opened some tickets with dell support

URL grey tea
Jun 1, 2004

IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!
dell command update is helpful for that, no need to hand pick and isn't full of browser addons

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

if you don’t get it working perfectly by day 25 or so please just return it. Mention your service issues and if/when you contacted support.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

lol day 25

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Corla Plankun posted:

interesting! i thought i didn't have to do this poo poo with a non homebuilt system but I'll try that out tonight. i also opened some tickets with dell support

you really shouldn't have to, and honestly i wonder if it wont turn out to be some hardware defect. does the usb port work for other stuff?

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

I bought the extended super pro max maintenance plan so i am sure i can get it fixed

i mostly just needed a sanity check, e.g. i'm not missing some super obvious new feature in win10 that is helpfully turning off my peripherals for some reason or suchlike

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

Tankakern posted:

lol day 25

oops this is YosPos not SHSC, DAY ONE!

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Just throw it straight in the dumpster upon purchase imo, save yourself the trouble.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Corla Plankun posted:

i did the same thing when i bought a powerspec tower last year, same concept but i grabbed intel's driver checker and replaced several win10 generic drivers which helped with some odd performance gaps

spankmeister posted:

Just throw it straight in the dumpster upon purchase imo, save yourself the trouble.

that's more like it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

i'll add that i have an old dell tablet that windows kept insisting on 'updating' the drivers on, which broke the cameras and made wifi unstable consistently. i had to manually install drivers from dell, then try to stop automated driver updates for those before it resolved

that pos is 8 years old though. just wanted to share windows update can be a cause of driver problems. i've noticed they started offering optional drivers in the update check, which might be a way to curb that. they have a 'if you have issues' caveat on them when available