Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Yvonmukluk posted:

I thought it was McDuffie's run? That'd make more sense and it was right before Millar's.

Yeah, pretty sure that was Dwayne. It was when Panther and Storm were on the team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
The last beat of this week's Daredevil was SO well executed. Man. Sometimes just seeing a narrative zip along so tightly is exhilarating.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Non-Stop Spider-Man is finally out and while it's a little light, I'm just enjoying it for being a Spidey book that's not connected to fall this OMD BND D&D BDSM stuff that the mainline title is about nowadays

Quippy Zemo is new though, right? That said, I don't entirely dislike the notion, the idea of someone who is completely self-possessed with the idea of his own superiority talking down at other people mockingly feels like a good match

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Zemo's been quippy in the past, just normally in one of his 'I'm the real hero' phases in the Thunderbolts.

radlum
May 13, 2013
Kurt Busiek just schooled me on the whole "is Zemo a Nazi?" thing on Twitter; it was awesome.

Just read Eternals; still good, I'm liking Sprite a lot.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

radlum posted:

Kurt Busiek just schooled me on the whole "is Zemo a Nazi?" thing on Twitter; it was awesome.

I could've done that.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

radlum posted:

What was the verdict? Kurt blocked me like a year ago because I wasn't sufficiently psyched about backing Joe Biden, so

radlum
May 13, 2013
It was a long explanation about how Helmut was meant to be very into the aristocratic stuff and his awfulness though authoritarian is not actually Nazi (unlike his father who was into Nazi stuff and was hoping it would benefit him and his already authoritarian views), which I kind of understand (also I had no idea Marvel cosmic cubed his origin so Helmut was always a full on Nazi).

Also, I had no idea Heinrich was originally Dr. Zemo or just Zemo, the Baron part came later.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
I kind of like the new Spidey direction in theory but in practice it came off as half baked. If they kill Gog I'm out.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

radlum posted:

It was a long explanation about how Helmut was meant to be very into the aristocratic stuff and his awfulness though authoritarian is not actually Nazi (unlike his father who was into Nazi stuff and was hoping it would benefit him and his already authoritarian views), which I kind of understand (also I had no idea Marvel cosmic cubed his origin so Helmut was always a full on Nazi).

Also, I had no idea Heinrich was originally Dr. Zemo or just Zemo, the Baron part came later.

I remember reading up on the Zemo family history back when I was into Thunderbolts. I initially was in on that conclusion, but it runs into trouble when you factor in that Helmut would have had to be in the Hitler Youth * ( and was depicted as such in some flashback stories.)
Yes, it's not like it was Helmut's choice but

When you expand that it becomes "He wasn't a Nazi. Yes he was in the Hitler Youth and later he independently got into authoritarian in a style that resembles the Nazi's. But he is not himself a Nazi." That's a really hard sell.

*= Also Zemo is super old. Because his dad made an anti-aging serum.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Helmut's had an entire complex arc entirely centered around rejecting his father's influence over his life so for the longest time he was definitely not a nazi, despite doing awful things on the reg. But now they've apparently retconned him into thinking Hitler is the Bee's Knees or something so who the heck knows.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Lurdiak posted:

Helmut's had an entire complex arc entirely centered around rejecting his father's influence over his life so for the longest time he was definitely not a nazi, despite doing awful things on the reg. But now they've apparently retconned him into thinking Hitler is the Bee's Knees or something so who the heck knows.

Where was this? I haven't read everything he's been in but I liked Thunderbolts enough that I usually like to generally keep up on the main characters of it, and the closest thing to this I remember was I guess Secret Empire?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

How Wonderful! posted:

Where was this? I haven't read everything he's been in but I liked Thunderbolts enough that I usually like to generally keep up on the main characters of it, and the closest thing to this I remember was I guess Secret Empire?

He did the whole hero's journey thing in Thunderbolts and the was the 4 issue Zemo mini where he was bouncing through the past. I think that was supposed to cement him as a hero.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
You can be an authoritarian without being a nazi.

Doom is a good example of this. He wants to rule everyone, but doesnt want to mass murder.

Well except the Reeds

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Mr Hootington posted:

Doom is a good example of this. He wants to rule everyone, but doesnt want to mass murder.
Ah...about that...:sweatdrop:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah Doom has no problem with mass murder, as long as it's an alternate universe I suppose.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

How Wonderful! posted:

Secret Empire had a lot of weird flashbacks that established Helmut as the same age as Steve and the two of them being the star pupils of Magic Hydra Lady back in the 1930s. Both of them were all-in on Hydra but they didn't like Hitler or Red Skull or you know, the bad Nazis, they were the good Nazis. All of this was treated like suppressed memories Nazsteve had to unlock in modern day Helmut, but also it was all... fake? Or reality-shifted by the Cosmic Cube and then maybe... unshifted? Or not? The dismount from Secret Empire was not smooth.

After Secret Empire Zemo was in the not-good Rosenberg Punisher run where he was a genocidal dictator of Bagalia who abducted Punisher and tried to brainwash him into the perfect Hydra killing machine. It didn't work and Punisher broke out of Superjail and tried to kill Zemo, who literally nuked the entire capital city of Bagalia in order to effect his escape. Zemo eventually showed up in New York City claiming diplomatic immunity as the guest of Mayor Fisk, at which point Zemo used the deep infiltration of Hydra within the NYPD, United Nations, Major League Baseball, etc. to stage an all out war on Punisher in New York City, which he could do because of diplomatic immunity. Punisher ended up killing Zemo, except it was a ruse so he could go underground?

I guess he appeared in the Falcon & Winter Soldier mini-series I didn't read, too.

Anyway I'm pretty good with Kelly ignoring a large swath of the stories outlined above. It's possible he was handing it to Hitler in some of these stories.

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.

Edge & Christian posted:

I guess he appeared in the Falcon & Winter Soldier mini-series I didn't read, too.

The Falcon/Winter Soldier mini was actually a fun read, for what it's worth.

radlum
May 13, 2013

Tensokuu posted:

The Falcon/Winter Soldier mini was actually a fun read, for what it's worth.

Yeah; it's a solid read. Nice of Marvel to actually get something related to their TV projects for new readers to get (good luck to all the people trying to find something related to WandaVision besides Tom King's Vision).

I've just finished the Vol 1 of Sam Wilson: Captain America Complete Collection...and it was good in parts, but also very non-commital. The first series makes a big deal about Falcon wanting to have kids, then he can't....and inmediately he can again; the second series tries to be more "relevant" and mostly works, but doesn't actually do the job of stating in which specific ways Sam is partisan (though I guess we can all deduce that Falcon is not the type to advocate for deregulation and massive tax cuts for big corporations) and in the end they can't even write Sam punishing evil businessmen.

Was this written before the 2016 election?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Captain America: Sam Wilson (the Nick Spencer volume) ran from December 2015 to July 2017, so the first half is definitely written pre-November 2016. It's also written by Nick Spencer, who is not very good at political allegories or really all that much in the realm of politics or allegories or storytelling. Did that volume include the Corporations are People version of just yelling DIPLOMATIC IMMUNITY and everyone sort of shrugging at public beheadings because "hey, the dude beheading people works for a consulting firm and you can't like... arrest an LLC!"?

The earlier part is Rick Remender who I generally enjoy more but I feel like he gave up/got cut short on the Sam Wilson part of his story, all six issues that came out.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

X-O posted:

Yeah Doom has no problem with mass murder, as long as it's an alternate universe I suppose.

Just gonna pretend that series never happened. I figure with Doom showing up in Guardians, Ewing is either gonna change what happened around, or ignore it completely. Because otherwise Doom wouldn't work on that team.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Just go back to infamous iron man status quo that was the best Doom in ages.

radlum
May 13, 2013

Edge & Christian posted:

Captain America: Sam Wilson (the Nick Spencer volume) ran from December 2015 to July 2017, so the first half is definitely written pre-November 2016. It's also written by Nick Spencer, who is not very good at political allegories or really all that much in the realm of politics or allegories or storytelling. Did that volume include the Corporations are People version of just yelling DIPLOMATIC IMMUNITY and everyone sort of shrugging at public beheadings because "hey, the dude beheading people works for a consulting firm and you can't like... arrest an LLC!"?

The earlier part is Rick Remender who I generally enjoy more but I feel like he gave up/got cut short on the Sam Wilson part of his story, all six issues that came out.

I'm dumb as hell. Now I understand why the first arc (with Ian Zola's version of Nomad) felt so different than the second one (the one with more "political" themes).

I just read the whole Serpent Solutions arc, which is kind of dumb but in a way that sort of works, but I recall the run getting dumber and more "old man yelling at teens on his lawn".

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
If I'm remembering walking into a comic shop in 2016 to hear a guy going, "Wait, what the gently caress? Seriously?" that's also the run where Sam Wilson fights a bad guy called Trigger Warning.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Codependent Poster posted:

Just gonna pretend that series never happened.

It is what I'm doing.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Edge & Christian posted:

After Secret Empire Zemo was in the not-good Rosenberg Punisher run where he was a genocidal dictator of Bagalia who abducted Punisher and tried to brainwash him into the perfect Hydra killing machine. It didn't work and Punisher broke out of Superjail and tried to kill Zemo, who literally nuked the entire capital city of Bagalia in order to effect his escape. Zemo eventually showed up in New York City claiming diplomatic immunity as the guest of Mayor Fisk, at which point Zemo used the deep infiltration of Hydra within the NYPD, United Nations, Major League Baseball, etc. to stage an all out war on Punisher in New York City, which he could do because of diplomatic immunity. Punisher ended up killing Zemo, except it was a ruse so he could go underground?

Was JJJ elected mayor after Fisk or before?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Dawgstar posted:

Was JJJ elected mayor after Fisk or before?

Before, by a few years in our time. I need to catch up on Daredevil but I believe Fisk is still currently mayor.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

Before, by a few years in our time. I need to catch up on Daredevil but I believe Fisk is still currently mayor.

Yeah, Fisk became mayor basically right after Secret Empire because he saved people while the city was under a blackout dome which got him major good PR.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
you'd think they'd learn their lesson after deciding norman osborn was a good guy just because he killed the skrull queen

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

site posted:

you'd think they'd learn their lesson after deciding norman osborn was a good guy just because he killed the skrull queen

I used to be annoyed that they explicitly made it so it was Obama that put Norman Osborn in a position of authority, but honestly compared to the rest of Obama appointees I'm not sure Norman Osborn is in the top ten evilest.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

site posted:

After the last several years it's to the point of 'sure, the people of NYC would elect John Gotti mayor, why not.'

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

After the last several years it's to the point of 'sure, the people of NYC would elect John Gotti mayor, why not.'

Would he be worse than Bloomberg or Deblasio?

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Fisk works for me as a mayor because every mayor in fiction should either be an evil scumbag or a lethargic arbitrator whom the heroes have to convince to Do The Thing, like the Ghostbusters mayor. You could have Fisk doing both of these.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Nilbop posted:

Fisk works for me as a mayor because every mayor in fiction should either be an evil scumbag or a lethargic arbitrator whom the heroes have to convince to Do The Thing, like the Ghostbusters mayor. You could have Fisk doing both of these.

And again, in real life they elected Bloomberg 3 loving times. Is Wilson Fisk really a worse person?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Skwirl posted:

I used to be annoyed that they explicitly made it so it was Obama that put Norman Osborn in a position of authority, but honestly compared to the rest of Obama appointees I'm not sure Norman Osborn is in the top ten evilest.

Yeah I think most cartoon villains have never done anything as evil as sending poor people checks in the hopes that they'll cash them without reading the fine print that it's actually a loan with 30% interest.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I'm not against Fisk as mayor but it'd probably work a little better as like, something that happens in season 2 of a Spider-man cartoon adaptation rather than a new development following his decades of supervillainy. He's already gone to jail for murders multiple times.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Reading the Deadpool 30th anniversary the one thought that really popped into my head was that I would love for Gail Simone to have another shot at writing Deadpool. Her story was by far the best of the bunch and honestly it wasn't even that close. I feel like she really excels at writing comedy like that.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

https://twitter.com/Dictionarycom/status/1370223020753760258

Ms Marvel fans stay winning.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
hope this is good

https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/1370446353562734596

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Is that Northstar?