Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The hunting lodges in Frozen Wild are an order of magnitude more difficult than any in the base game, they took way more attempts to do, for me anyway.

I think the storyline of the DLC is bad, I hated the tribal chieftains and all their backwards laws just felt like rehashed points from the main game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I thought the DLC was fantastic and things like just how NPCs moved around in conversations compared to the base game left me hopeful that the sequel will be very, very good. It's definitely more challenging than the base game, but I'm a sucker for snow in games so it was 10/10 for me.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
It'll blow you away (this is a loud PS4 fan joke)

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
HZD is one of those games I’m gonna play through again before I hang the ps4 up for a ps5

So I’ve got a few years it seems like.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Horizon is one of the most drop dead gorgeous games I've ever seen. The lighting effects in forests at night, just so choice

:discourse:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
You could always play it after you get a PS5, especially if it gets a 4K60 patch

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
yeah sometimes it feels like it's half a generation ahead of anything else on the console

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Simone Magus posted:

Horizon is one of the most drop dead gorgeous games I've ever seen. The lighting effects in forests at night, just so choice

:discourse:
:yeah:

I've played through Zero Dawn like 3 or 4 times. It's one of my favorite games of the generation.

I can't wait for Forbidden West.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I can’t even begin to express how hyped I am about the day I get to boot up Forbidden West :aaaaa:

ds1 update: gently caress these goyles man, gently caress em, I’m trying my best tho!

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
When in doubt, ask Solaire for help. He makes a great meatshield.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I’m way more interested in seeing how the game improves and iterates than I am seeing how they continue the story. The parts of Horizon that were bad could actually be good, eventually, some day

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

VideoGames posted:

Holy moly really? Hahaha goodness. Often for me 100 hour games are 200 hour games. So 200 hours equals see you in 2022.

Is that another reason why it is a bit divisive? The length?

DS2 is really really good and the only reason its "divisive" is because Dark Souls 1 is one of the best games ever made, if not the best.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
DS2 is the worst game in the soulsborne series

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Yeah, it has a number of legitimate issues that made people dislike it above and beyond just "not being Dark Souls 1." The encounter design in particular is not great.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Dark Souls Poo: Squatter of the First poo poo

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I have resolved to play DS2 only after I have platinumed Sekiro and 3

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I could make a laundry list of why DS2 is a mess (it's still a fun game though).

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

I have resolved to play DS2 only after I have platinumed Sekiro and 3

Yeah I want to play DS2 but it's in line behind replaying DS1...and playing its DLC that I never played...and replaying DS3...and its DLC that I never played......shameful

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, Dark Souls 2 can still be really fun if you approach it right. "The worst Dark Souls game" is still pretty good by the standards of games in general. It's just not a game I would choose to play when I could be playing any other recent From game instead.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Cardiovorax posted:

When in doubt, ask Solaire for help. He makes a great meatshield.

Personally I would vote against this option. The whole challenge of the boss fight is that it's 2v1. If you just summon another ally it kind of loses its impact.

I'm one of those weirdos that thinks the "right" way to play DS is without summoning though. Gotta prove you can take those bosses on yourself.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

You could say something like that about every boss in a Souls game, but summons exist anyway. If you're having too much difficulty with a boss fight to still consider it fun anymore, summoning someone is exactly what the developer wants you to do.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Solaire is much less useful than a player summon. He works best as a distraction so you can heal safely. If you just let him tank he'll go down pretty fast.

So its like a hidden difficulty option

Solo - hard
Solaire - medium
Player - easy
2 Players - very easy

Also bosses hp scales with summons so some NPCs end up making the fight harder as they do little damage and die.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Cardiovorax posted:

Yeah, Dark Souls 2 can still be really fun if you approach it right. "The worst Dark Souls game" is still pretty good by the standards of games in general. It's just not a game I would choose to play when I could be playing any other recent From game instead.

I tried replaying it recently and found it really hard to get into again. I usually just fall right back into souls games. Just so much of the game is ugly to look at and the combat just feels super wimpy compared to every other souls game and so much of it feels slopped together.

I still played it for like 100 hours when it came out, so I can't say I didn't get my moneys worth, but pretty much everything about it doesn't meet the quality standards I associate with the series, at least consistently . There's some good parts for sure but the quality is all over the place.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

veni veni veni posted:

I tried replaying it recently and found it really hard to get into again. I usually just fall right back into souls games. Just so much of the game is ugly to look at and the combat just feels super wimpy compared to every other souls game and so much of it feels slopped together.
The weird ugliness of many areas is definitely one of the bigger problems I had with the game. Like, the Forest of Fallen Giants looks legitimately terrible. That weird, mottled green texture they slapped on everything looks like vomit. Majula looks great, and so does Heide, but everything else? A lot is really just awful.

Zaphod42 posted:

Solaire is much less useful than a player summon. He works best as a distraction so you can heal safely. If you just let him tank he'll go down pretty fast.
I find it an acceptable middle ground. Not too easy, but enough of a buffer to carry you through a fight you otherwise just can't quite handle yet. Plus, player summons are getting more and more rare, especially in the early game.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Mar 11, 2021

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Zaphod42 posted:

DS2 is really really good and the only reason its "divisive" is because Dark Souls 1 is one of the best games ever made, if not the best.

Meh, I definitely don't consider DS1 that far up there in the pantheon even though I love the series...and I'd still say DS2 has some issues. I think it's more that DS2 gets rightfully compared to a bunch of other great games directed by a certain someone who brings his own almost singular seal of quality. DS2 has a different (and sometimes wonky) artistic vision despite bearing the moniker, so it compares a bit unfavorably to the other 5 games.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
For the goon(s) who mentioned not being hooked on Kentucky Route Zero until a certain set-piece in Act 2, was it this one? Because this scene brought tears to my eyes and has stuck with me since.

(Soundtrack spoilers, I guess? This game really is something you need to go into blind.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81ZDfujSCkU

Starting Act 4 tonight!

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

PantsBandit posted:

Personally I would vote against this option. The whole challenge of the boss fight is that it's 2v1. If you just summon another ally it kind of loses its impact.

I'm one of those weirdos that thinks the "right" way to play DS is without summoning though. Gotta prove you can take those bosses on yourself.

I was like this for Bloodborne last year except I ended up getting summoning help for Shadow of Yharnam. I kind of wish I'd kept trying to solo them, but I was on such a good momentum for once in that game after owning it for like 5 years without getting past Father Gascoigne.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I've been soloing Dark Souls 3 for this playthrough, but I decided to summon a gold phantom for Champion Gundyr tonight on a whim since I was surprised to see a real person's sign there and he just walked around outside the boss door and didn't come in, so the boss had twice the health and I still had to fight him myself. Thanks bud.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I one shot Yhorm the Giant by embering before the boss and getting someone named DANNY DARKSOULS and ALSO Siegward, who I had forgotten about lol and having a loving INSANE 3v1 it was so sick

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I always have trouble with multi enemy boss fights in Souls games. Hell the one boss I had to summon for in DS3 was the Crystal sages because of the clones in the second phase lol

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Dark Souls 2 is the Dark Souls of Soulslikes.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Bust Rodd posted:

I’m way more interested in seeing how the game improves and iterates than I am seeing how they continue the story. The parts of Horizon that were bad could actually be good, eventually, some day

Much like Control, the best parts of Horizon were the documents and holograms or whatever. I have no idea what the actual story was because my eyes glazed over whenever one of the pudgy white dudes who suddenly become Aloy’s trusted companions started to speak.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The best part of Horizon is the robot dinosaurs, Imhotep

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

the only bad parts about HZD were the character animations during dialogue and they fixed that in Frozen Wilds.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Volte posted:

I've been soloing Dark Souls 3 for this playthrough, but I decided to summon a gold phantom for Champion Gundyr tonight on a whim since I was surprised to see a real person's sign there and he just walked around outside the boss door and didn't come in, so the boss had twice the health and I still had to fight him myself. Thanks bud.

You sure it wasn’t just the NPC summon?

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

veni veni veni posted:

You sure it wasn’t just the NPC summon?
It was a gold phantom named Fo1no or something like that.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Volte posted:

It was a gold phantom named Fo1no or something like that.

yeah From got real lazy at the end when they were naming NPCs

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Bust Rodd posted:

u know what the gently caress I mean like story vs setting/world building or whatever, obviously fighting 8 giant robot dinosaurs and making them explode is the best bit,

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Bust Rodd posted:

The best part of Horizon is that Aloy is a great character. The dinos do almost nothing for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

:v: I beat Bloodborne. :toot:

I got suddenly incurious with regard to the guide I was following at the end and hosed up. I had everything lined up to do the plat when I entered the final encounter and then stopped reading and didn't back up my save file.

So now I gotta play Bloodborne again (just put down the BSB). Ah, well.