Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Kinda wish that Jordan had lasered the bully right in the face. Taking it out on the football team was almost as good. Dorky dad Clark is very wholesome.

lol that Lana's family has an old tiny CRT tv. What an odd choice for the set design.

Seems wasteful to kill a meta that can physically match Superman but then again I'm no supervillain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Kinda wish that Jordan had lasered the bully right in the face. Taking it out on the football team was almost as good. Dorky dad Clark is very wholesome.

lol that Lana's family has an old tiny CRT tv. What an odd choice for the set design.

Seems wasteful to kill a meta that can physically match Superman but then again I'm no supervillain.

The ending is showing that the guy was probably not a one off and may be just one of many in a new project.

Also, here's a big possible guess: Captain Luthor is Connor Luthor as in the version of Superboy that's a clone using Luthor and Kryptonian DNA.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

If there's one thing I've learned from basically every movie/comic/TV show ever, it's that the big bad will always kill at least one henchman in a fit of rage to prove a point, no matter how valuable an asset that henchman might be.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

TwoPair posted:

If there's one thing I've learned from basically every movie/comic/TV show ever, it's that the big bad will always kill at least one henchman in a fit of rage to prove a point, no matter how valuable an asset that henchman might be.

In the trailer for the new MODOK cartoon on Hulu, MODOK's about to kill one of his henchmen and the dude cries out "Wait, I do your taxes!" and he just turns on a dime and kills another henchman instead. So I appreciate it whenever stories have some fun with that trope.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
I'm pretty impressed how the show slid in with football as a good thing for Jordan, while dealing with classic teen Superman stuff of super-powered football.
You wouldn't want a teen Clark to play, but they created a show where his kids can.
Also I really like how they came up with different context so Lois and Clark can still play their character beats: being an equipment manager allows for Clark
to play mild-mannered in a social context with his teens, Lois still gets to be an hardass reporter.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Poor Johnathan had to give up a star football position and now Jordan is stealing that from him too. Dude is being a stellar person about all this stuff when his brother is mainly interested in the girl not so much the game.

I'm glad Jordan has found something new he feels good about and by extension about himself but is American football really only about who hits hardest? Is there no skill or technique required?

I like Lois being capable and stabbing strongman with the pen. If he hadn't been super strong and let's be honest no one was expecting him to be

Hmmm, specific superman skills but not the whole package - easier to control and manage the minions when they are super but not too super?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I'm not sure I like this plot direction with Jordan. Popular culture already venerates jocks and denigrates people who have 'nerdy' interests; and I'm disappointed in the message that all the shy, introverted nerd who likes video games needed to become 'normal'/be happy was to play a sport. How much better could it have been to show him finding friends and making a place for himself in like a D&D group or something that plays to his established interests and being happy that way.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Is this still set in the same world as Supergirl/Flash/etc.? If so, what would be so weird about a person with super powers working for a rich guy?

Merging the worlds was the dumbest idea they ever had.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Nah, the merger let them do a soft reboot and drop a lot of dumb poo poo if they don't want it around.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Rhyno posted:

Nah, the merger let them do a soft reboot and drop a lot of dumb poo poo if they don't want it around.

There's an entire show full of idiots with a time machine. They can retcon anything at any time and blame the Legends.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Sloth Life posted:

Poor Johnathan had to give up a star football position and now Jordan is stealing that from him too. Dude is being a stellar person about all this stuff when his brother is mainly interested in the girl not so much the game.

I'm glad Jordan has found something new he feels good about and by extension about himself but is American football really only about who hits hardest? Is there no skill or technique required?

They made it pretty clear in his baseball conversation with Clark that it started about the girl but then once he started making friends it became about the camaraderie/friends.

And as far as football itself, it depends on the position. There's plenty that require skill but there are some where yeah the entire point is to knock the opposing dudes on their asses (particularly defensive linemen whose ideal goal is to break through the offensive line and take out the quarterback, which Jordan would obviously excel in).

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I'm glad they decided not to have a crossover with Batwoman this season. This show has been so good, I hope they hold off on forcing it to have arrowverse crossover event episodes for a while.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Mar 10, 2021

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Spacebump posted:

I'm glad they decided not to have a crossover with Batwoman this season. This show has been so good, I hope they hold off on forcing it to have arrowverse crossover event episodes for a while.

I wouldn't mind a small Supergirl crossover depending on what's going on in that series.

in regards to Jon and Jordan, Jordan is definitely a lineman or a runningback. His skills are hitting hard and shrugging them off. Jon presumably has all of the other fundamentals down which is why he was QB which is less about brute strength (though it does help) and more about field judgment and getting plays down to lead the rest of the team on the field.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Xelkelvos posted:

I wouldn't mind a small Supergirl crossover depending on what's going on in that series.

in regards to Jon and Jordan, Jordan is definitely a lineman or a runningback. His skills are hitting hard and shrugging them off. Jon presumably has all of the other fundamentals down which is why he was QB which is less about brute strength (though it does help) and more about field judgment and getting plays down to lead the rest of the team on the field.

Jordan as a running back would lead to an undefeated season if he wanted one. Of course, the same is likely on defense depending on how fast he is.

edit:

I'm catching up on the Flash and just got to an episode with Jay and Silent Bob showing up. Clearly this means Dogma is officially canon in the Arrowverse.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Mar 10, 2021

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

If I had to guess, I'd say they were lining Jordan up as a linebacker, though his number suggests he was a safety. Either one makes sense. Have the D-line soak up blockers and let Jordan do his Bobby Boucher impression.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Weirdly I think when the coach first put Jordan in, he told him to run some plays as a cornerback, which is the position where his particular talents would be least useful.

Though it is also the defensive position where being undersized would be less of a liability, so it would make sense for the coach's first impression. I imagine after that first hit they quickly decided he was best suited as a linebacker.

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie

Sloth Life posted:

First, the show isn't going for football realism. The first time the coach sent Jordan on the field, he told him to line up at corner (they usually line up near the sidelines), and the next time we saw Jordan, he is not lined up anywhere near where a cornerback would play. So I'm just kind of giving them a pass on that stuff.

That said, Jordan's "style" can work at the high school level. There, raw size/strength can overcome a lack of skill and technique because most of your opponents aren't going to have developed the more advanced skillsets yet. However, in college and the professional level the talent pool starts to even out and most of your competition is getting about the same level of coaching and resources to develop their technique*, so you need more than raw strength to stay competitive.

For example, if Jordan were to go up against someone like Barry Sanders, his all-or-nothing tackling style would just leave him tackling air. Sanders was so, so good because he very rarely allowed anyone to get a clean, direct, full-force hit against him; he always tried to put tacklers in a position where their tackles glanced off the side or something. When someone did finally square him up for a clean tackle, it was only because they sacrificed a lot of momentum to do so. In those cases, Sanders was still able to use his lower body strength to keep moving forward. It also helped a lot that he kept a low center of gravity and had ankles made of rubber and legs like tree trunks.

If you want to get an idea of what that looked like, skip to about halfway through this highlight reel (most of the early plays here are impressive, but they boil down to "Fast man can run fast." His tackle-breaking ability shows up a lot more in the replays later in the vid.).

*I know there's actually a big divide between big college programs and smaller ones. What I mean is that there's peerage within, say, a team's conference. SEC teams (that are not named Vanderbilt) have about the same coaching skill and resources as other SEC teams, and MAC teams have similar programs to other MAC teams. So even though there's a huge difference between Alabama and Appalachian State, you're still usually playing against a team with similar talent and resources as your own.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It was kind of funny just how quickly Clark was able to make it there when Lois activated her signal device.

Tiggum posted:

Is this still set in the same world as Supergirl/Flash/etc.? If so, what would be so weird about a person with super powers working for a rich guy?

Merging the worlds was the dumbest idea they ever had.

I think CW realized that just by its nature a Superman show was going to attract more attention than the other Arrowverse shows so they're taking a light touch with referencing things. They don't want to scare someone away with the idea that this is a spinoff.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

They're doing a good job with the action scenes so far.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

GreenNight posted:

They're doing a good job with the action scenes so far.

It really felt like the choreographers played a lot of Injustice.

I wish everyone outside of the Clark family was a bit less insufferable.

Clark makes Kara seem real lazy by comparison.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Also, are they trying to sell this show in international markets because they sure keep going back to China every time there's a big action scene.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

muscles like this! posted:

Also, are they trying to sell this show in international markets because they sure keep going back to China every time there's a big action scene.

:catstare:

This is just straight up racist bullshit.

RandomBlue fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Mar 11, 2021

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

GigaPeon posted:

It really felt like the choreographers played a lot of Injustice.

Holy poo poo I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought this, that entire sequence after he froze the dude could have been lifted straight outta that game. Clark was just tossing that guy around lol

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

RandomBlue posted:

:catstare:

This is just straight up racist bullshit.

Why do you say that? There's precedence in American media of adding scenes to appeal to China.

https://www.businessinsider.com/chinas-version-of-iron-man-3-2013-5

https://www.theguardian.com/film/filmblog/2015/nov/30/global-box-office-the-martian-the-good-dinosaur-creed

For what it's worth, I had a different reaction to that scene - compared to the other CW shows, I thought it was good seeing Superman as a hero of the world, rather than all the action scenes taking place in Smallville or Metropolis.

roffels fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Mar 11, 2021

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Did he really "stand his own"? Once Kal realized he had to try, he goes full "I live in a cardboard world" on his rear end quick.

And no immunity to freeze/lasers? Hardly a challenge.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

Did he really "stand his own"? Once Kal realized he had to try, he goes full "I live in a cardboard world" on his rear end quick.

And no immunity to freeze/lasers? Hardly a challenge.

I would say he did pretty well. He took the initial beating without flinching and then knocked his rear end out.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
He did better than most but he still lasted less than a minute. It was a great scene. I love seeing Kal actually being super.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

He did better than most but he still lasted less than a minute. It was a great scene. I love seeing Kal actually being super.

They do a pretty good balance of having only one scene of super heroics every episode while the rest is lower budget stuff

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Xelkelvos posted:

They do a pretty good balance of having only one scene of super heroics every episode while the rest is lower budget stuff

I mean, we got the bridge and the hotel room. That's pretty excellent for a tv budget.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
Is Morgan Edge's Secret Project gonna turn the newspaper lady into a monkey, or is Beppo just a fun name?

Also just realized Morgan Edge was Adrian Pasdar's Max Lord replacement on Supergirl. Weird how much they're trying to separate this one from the rest of the CW-Verse. I'm sure that DC has no shortage of Evil Billionaires. Why recycle them?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

GigaPeon posted:

Is Morgan Edge's Secret Project gonna turn the newspaper lady into a monkey, or is Beppo just a fun name?

Also just realized Morgan Edge was Adrian Pasdar's Max Lord replacement on Supergirl. Weird how much they're trying to separate this one from the rest of the CW-Verse. I'm sure that DC has no shortage of Evil Billionaires. Why recycle them?

Just chalk up any post Crisis continuity errors to reality re-writes caused by the Crisis.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Spacebump posted:

Just chalk up any post Crisis continuity errors to reality re-writes caused by the Crisis.

Yeah I could wave it away like that, but why?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Well it is a new Earth, they can refresh a lot of stuff they already used on Supergirl.

Like Red Tornado

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Rhyno posted:

Well it is a new Earth, they can refresh a lot of stuff they already used on Supergirl.

Like Red Tornado

Yeah, Flash did a scene post-Crisis pointing out how they've got all kinds of new/different villains now including ones that were dead in the old Earth.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

GigaPeon posted:

Different evil rich people for different purposes. Comics Edge was a media mogul. He bought out the Daily Planet and ran it under his terms. This is still reflected here in this series. He's meant to be a normal human and cutthroat businessman when compared to Luthor who's that, but also human supremacist and super genius. Max Lord is more general amoral businessman, but with specific concerns about the dangers of superhumans.

It's not been revealed yet what Edge's end goal is with his special project so we'll see where it goes and if it's gonna be a revised version of comic book Lord or some other, new spin. We may also get Intergang again.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Lmao that practice with Jordan.

"And that's why he plays defense."

Edit: "I just needed more time for drugs and alcohol" Ahhh High School

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Mar 17, 2021

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
No one can escape the wrath of 'the MANsplaining', not even Lana!

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Confuses me why DC is so invested in making Superman so bleak, both in Man of Steel and now this series.

I'm enjoying the series but the tone is depressing.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

That seems like more of a "you" problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

RandomBlue posted:

Confuses me why DC is so invested in making Superman so bleak, both in Man of Steel and now this series.

I'm enjoying the series but the tone is depressing.

It doesn't seem that bleak. Superman is dealing with a Superman flavored version of having to juggle work, kids, and the spouse