Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Maybe one issue of each regular title? How many of them are there now? Lemme see, X-Men, Factor, Force, New Mutants, Wolvie, Excalibur, Cable, SWORD, Marauders, Hellions - that's ten, unless I missed one. So Planet-Sized, one issue of the regular titles, maybe an endcap one-shot?

Cable will be over but we are getting way of x and x-corps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

its basically saying that for one month, all of the x-books will be about the Hellfire Gala from their respective POVs

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Don’t forget Children of the Atom.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Phonogram: Single Club but with mutants, I'm in.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Daken shouting "see you tomorrow" when sacrificing himself to Morrigan was an amusing moment in today's X-Factor.

Children of the Atom didn't grab me but I'll give it a chance to grow. It would probably help if I was remotely familiar with the main characters.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Daken shouting "see you tomorrow" when sacrificing himself to Morrigan was an amusing moment in today's X-Factor.

Children of the Atom didn't grab me but I'll give it a chance to grow. It would probably help if I was remotely familiar with the main characters.

I think this is the first appearance of the young kids. Magma, Marrow & Pixie all range from B-list to D-list mutants who honestly felt to me just like warm bodies for the plot. Pixie's probably the most prominent of those three.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Chinston Wurchill posted:

I really liked Children of the Atom. When it was first announced I didn't think I would like it. I thought Hickman said they wouldn't create new mutants, but use existing mutants so I was really surprised by this concept. I am excited to see the mystery revealed of who exactly these people are, and how they got their powers.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures
someone screwed up here. the digital version appears to be the one that was originally planned for release back in April of last year

https://twitter.com/Arach_07/status/1369718899038515200

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Fritzler posted:

I really liked Children of the Atom. When it was first announced I didn't think I would like it. I thought Hickman said they wouldn't create new mutants, but use existing mutants so I was really surprised by this concept. I am excited to see the mystery revealed of who exactly these people are, and how they got their powers.

The "no new mutants" thing got loving obliterated with X of Swords. But I liked Children of the Atom better than I expected.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Am I understanding the ending right that these kids aren't actually mutants? I started to get that impression about halfway in what with the Cerebro thing, but that penultimate page is frankly not super coherent.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

BrianWilly posted:

Am I understanding the ending right that these kids aren't actually mutants? I started to get that impression about halfway in what with the Cerebro thing, but that penultimate page is frankly not super coherent.

That was my impression. I also found the fight scene at the start of the issue to be difficult to follow at times.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

FoneBone posted:

someone screwed up here. the digital version appears to be the one that was originally planned for release back in April of last year

https://twitter.com/Arach_07/status/1369718899038515200

There's been issues with the back page ordering in the past.

Skwirl posted:

So I flipped to the back of X-Force to get the weeks reading order, it usually doesn't matter (and this week it also didn't) but I like to do it when I think of it, and it lists:

Excalibur
S.W.O.R.D.
X-Force

So I read Excalibur first and when I got to the back it lists

X-Force
S.W.O.R.D.
Excalibur

So I read X-Force next thinking I misread it the first time, I get to the end and nope, I was right.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

Maybe, Kitty Pryde has issues with the gates too.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Skwirl posted:

There's been issues with the back page ordering in the past.

its not the order of the issues, it's the fact that they're the order from 2020

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Alaois posted:

its not the order of the issues, it's the fact that they're the order from 2020

It just means there's not a ton of oversight on what actually appears on that page.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I thought Children of the Atom sounded unnecessary when it was announced and sadly the first issue did not convince me I was wrong

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Mar 10, 2021

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I've read some pages and it made me care so little about these new people I'm not sure I want to continue.

X-Factor was good as usual, though, so that's a net positive for the X-brand.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

I think it wants us to believe that they are not mutants, but these kinds think (or maybe hope is a better word?) that they are mutants.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
if the book has anything interesting to say i sure didn't notice it in issue 1.

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth
Northstar is such a huge rear end in a top hat to Chuck, and while I understand it was mostly to keep things from getting too busy plot-wise, especially after he was very generous letting them handle a death goddess who had already murdered all the heavy hitters once by themselves. Which Polaris... exorcised with magnetism?? :science:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Protagorean posted:

Northstar is such a huge rear end in a top hat to Chuck, and while I understand it was mostly to keep things from getting too busy plot-wise, especially after he was very generous letting them handle a death goddess who had already murdered all the heavy hitters once by themselves. Which Polaris... exorcised with magnetism?? :science:

Ehh, most mutants being like "yeah, Krakoa is loving great, but it doesn't mean I forgive you for all the other bullshit you've pulled" towards Chuck makes sense to me.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Skwirl posted:

Maybe, Kitty Pryde has issues with the gates too.

Kitty can't pass through the gates at all. She hits them like a solid wall.

These kids walked through it without going anywhere, which is what happens to humans.

Which doesn't necessarily mean they're not mutants, but it's definitely not what's going on eith Kitty.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Adder Moray posted:

These kids walked through it without going anywhere, which is what happens to humans.

Which doesn't necessarily mean they're not mutants, but it's definitely not what's going on eith Kitty.

I know that, I'm just saying there's reasons other than not being a mutant for not being able to use the gates. I kinda bet they aren't mutants.

I'll be super pissed if it turns out they get their powers solely from their costumes though.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I do like that all of the "Children of the Atom" cast apparently goes to Corbeau Prep. Now that Moira has been retconned into being a mutant Peter Corbeau is the coolest human from Claremont's run

radlum
May 13, 2013
I thought CotA was fine; the initial fight was poorly paced and the ending wasn't very clear, but I liked the take on the characters.

Still, I hope whatever is going on with these kids is going somewhere; both the mistake in the digital version and the fact that this was kept frozen for almost a year makes me worried that Marvel is not that interested in this miniseries.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

radlum posted:

I thought CotA was fine; the initial fight was poorly paced and the ending wasn't very clear, but I liked the take on the characters.

Still, I hope whatever is going on with these kids is going somewhere; both the mistake in the digital version and the fact that this was kept frozen for almost a year makes me worried that Marvel is not that interested in this miniseries.

I think the kept frozen part might have had something to do with the delays around Champions/Outlaws.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Are the Children of the Atom kids not Chimeras from HOXPOX? Like, is that not what we're obviously dealing with here?

radlum
May 13, 2013

Cartridgeblowers posted:

Are the Children of the Atom kids not Chimeras from HOXPOX? Like, is that not what we're obviously dealing with here?

The ones we saw on HoXPoX were able to use gates; so unless they are more primitive versions of chimeras that worked poorly, I don't think that's what is going on here.

X-Factor was great, again. I don't usually love the art and colors in this series, but this issue they were great.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
they had childhoods and presumably have families. i very much doubt chimeras would have anything of the sort.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

they had childhoods and presumably have families. i very much doubt chimeras would have anything of the sort.
Same. I was wondering if there could be more U-Men with Krakoa? Basically U-Men were humans that took body parts of mutants to give themselves powers. There might be a lot more mutant body parts floating around under Krakoa. I don’t know how these kids would have gotten powers (or if gambit has died under this status quo yet), but seems like a reasonable threat to Krakoa.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
The Peacock club and Mikhail Rasputin are doing that over in X-Force. Bringing in the U-Men might bite on what the author is going there.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Adder Moray posted:

Ha, literal gatekeeping.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Fritzler posted:

I think it wants us to believe that they are not mutants, but these kinds think (or maybe hope is a better word?) that they are mutants.

That was my read on it. This bunch of teens feel like outcasts and suddenly there's a voice in their head from Charles Xavier talking about how they've got a paradise island that everybody that's hated and feared is welcome to live on... as long as you're a mutant. So they're all trying to be like mutants the best way they know how, which is just straight up copy the X-Men.

The only real question is how they have powers. Like, if they're using tech how are these kids getting their hands on such sophisticated stuff? Alternately, are they Inhumans that just don't want to go to New Attilan because Marvel has the film rights to the X-Men now plus the Inhumans show bombed and so everyone forgot about New Attilan? Or are we going all the way back to classic Marvel and everyone just got exposed to radiation but somehow didn't die?

I did get a kick out of how all the actual X-Men are so dumbfounded. Like everyone's just sitting around puzzled as to how these kids aren't showing up on Cerebro like they all don't personally know dozens of non-mutants with superpowers.

Cyclops: "Cerebro doesn't detect them? Why would our machine designed to detect mutants and only mutants not detect these children?"
Everyone else :iiam:

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Mar 12, 2021

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

On the one hand, yeah there's a bunch of people with super powers that aren't mutants, on the other all of those people have, at various points in time, expressed profoundly that they weren't mutants. Like a dude saying "no homo" after giving another dude a hug. There's people who want to be mutants that don't have powers, but there's no one before who claimed to be a mutant and had powers and wasn't a mutant, to my knowledge.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

“No homo superior”

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
There was that period of time where Spider-Man was billed as

Which is kind of weird in hindsight. It's a bit like if DC started billing Superman as "SUPERMAN: NOT A BAT"

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

OnimaruXLR posted:

There was that period of time where Spider-Man was billed as

Which is kind of weird in hindsight. It's a bit like if DC started billing Superman as "SUPERMAN: NOT A BAT"

We forget that before the Iron-Man film and the rest of the MCU, no one gave a poo poo about Marvel heroes that weren't the X-Men or Spider-Man.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Skwirl posted:

We forget that before the Iron-Man film and the rest of the MCU, no one gave a poo poo about Marvel heroes that weren't the X-Men or Spider-Man.

I will never forget that.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I remember when a full half of Marvels publishing output were X-Books. It was crazy how it went from that big to like 4 books at one point. The "X-Crash" happened before the movies made the public at large aware of non-Mutant/non-spider heroes though. I don't know what caused it though. Did readers sick of mutants, or was the sheer amount of X-books an instance of corporate deciding that if one X-Men title sold well they should public a bajillion that no one wanted?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

galagazombie posted:

I remember when a full half of Marvels publishing output were X-Books. It was crazy how it went from that big to like 4 books at one point. The "X-Crash" happened before the movies made the public at large aware of non-Mutant/non-spider heroes though. I don't know what caused it though. Did readers sick of mutants, or was the sheer amount of X-books an instance of corporate deciding that if one X-Men title sold well they should public a bajillion that no one wanted?

There was a massive speculation bubble and the bubble popped.

X-Men #1 sold 5 million copies, there are not 5 million people who actually give a poo poo about print comics, there's maybe like 100,000.