Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
holy poo poo do not loving tell me you run yosslack in a browser

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Jonny 290 posted:

holy poo poo do not loving tell me you run yosslack in a browser

it chunks too slow on this laptop separately and its inconvenient to switch - only 4gb ram here on my internet laptop

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

yeah i’ve never used the mobile app for really anything, just hit up the IP of the controller directly to get the web interface

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
oh tahts right you have an obama's-first-term air for your personal, all is forgiven

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i cannot wait until M2 comes out and allows more ram and i buy myself the first new laptop ive ever owned in my life

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

y'all made the right choice using ER, i have a unifi usg-pro-4 and i can only assume it's short for Ultra lovely Garbage

picturing ubiquiti walking past all the reasonable fans at the fan store and paying extra for the loudest shittiest ones they could find, then going around the corner to the power supply store and deciding to just wedge an external power brick inside the switch chassis instead

not to mention unifi requires you to hand edit a json config blob if you want to have BGP

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i have the USG 3p and god drat does it suck.

it annoys me you can set an SSL cert for the unifi controller without editing a java keystore which it will blow away every other update

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
and thats why i just skip all the unifi routers entirely, use edgemax for that, and then use unifi for the access points and switching which its fine for

now

why the 1 company cant let their two product segments talk to each other, is a loving insane and artifical bullshit restriction

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
that said, its cheap for what you get and it works well once you get it the way you want it

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
the quality of the access points are 🤌

over a year without a reset is pretty good imo

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

otoh my isp provides a free router that mostly works I guess. my phone has wifi anyway. did I mention it was free

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Sniep posted:

and thats why i just skip all the unifi routers entirely, use edgemax for that, and then use unifi for the access points and switching which its fine for

also exactly what i do. unifi for the APs, edgerouter for the brain box

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Nomnom Cookie posted:

otoh my isp provides a free router that mostly works I guess. my phone has wifi anyway. did I mention it was free

but have you tried nerding out about it and/or pretending you have a way differently scoped use case to justify upgrading to a tier of equipment that takes 10x the labor to set up with a placebo for benefit?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
ive tried that and its been ok but im finally to the point that my internet is getting too fast for the USG

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Sniep posted:

but have you tried nerding out about it and/or pretending you have a way differently scoped use case to justify upgrading to a tier of equipment that takes 10x the labor to set up with a placebo for benefit?

bruh for multiple years my router was a retired gaming pc running Linux with two wifi cards. and I insisted on having working multicast DNS, and AirPrint

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Nomnom Cookie posted:

bruh for multiple years my router was a retired gaming pc running Linux with two wifi cards. and I insisted on having working multicast DNS, and AirPrint

hey thats on you not me

i may have been projecting tho just a little bit

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

my last free isp router maxed out at 50mbps or so

which is pretty bullshit given that it was for gigabit fiber service

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
my ISP combo router was rented at $13 / month so I’ll have my UDMPro and AP AC Lite paid off in 3 years or so. plus I get to play with VLANs now

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

unifi wifi, pfsense on qotom supremacy

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Sniep posted:

i may have been projecting tho just a little bit

i need to patch panel down all these ends since i just crimped on ends of wires from the ceiling and jacked them straight in but this is what im talkin about

work in progress so its ugly but it is functional now

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
my home router is an openbsd vm running on a former amazon ec2 pizza box that got transplanted into a 4U case

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Kazinsal posted:

my home router is an openbsd vm running on a former amazon ec2 pizza box that got transplanted into a 4U case

you must be old at amazon to have walked out a piece of AWS gear holy christ

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Sniep posted:

you must be old at amazon to have walked out a piece of AWS gear holy christ

nope, found it on an auction site that did not last for long before it disappeared. not sure how many of them were sold (they weren’t branded as Amazon on the auction site and had all the markings scraped off) but the PCI vendor IDs on everything on the motherboard has Amazon as either the primary vendor or subvendor so they’re real

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Sniep posted:

i just crimped on ends of wires from the ceiling and

:tizzy:

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

its temporary! this all got ran like a month ago and i got work and poo poo too

i have the patch panels ready i just gotta tidy it all up

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

rip toriland

https://twitter.com/googlecloud/status/1369741749648818188?s=20

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Pittsburgh more like shitsturd

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

when you talk about an also-ran whose long term prospects are doubtful but has an unrealistic opinion of themselves, well, two things come to mind

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

any time you can get ex oracle sales guys together with the place where the primary industry is keeping boomers on life support, you gotta make that connection

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
I’ve switched my home router to a rpi4 running openwrt, so much faster then my er lite 3

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

freeasinbeer posted:

I’ve switched my home router to a rpi4 running openwrt, so much faster then my er lite 3

don't they only have one eth port

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Sniep posted:

don't they only have one eth port

there is a recommended to link usb Ethernet dongle that works well, I get full speed using WireGuard running through it. once the cm launches with pci support I think it’s gonna be the go to for a lot of people.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

freeasinbeer posted:

there is a recommended to link usb Ethernet dongle that works well, I get full speed using WireGuard running through it. once the cm launches with pci support I think it’s gonna be the go to for a lot of people.

full speed as in gigabit state full throughput or “full speed” in the usb sense

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
I surf in a big edgerouter with my wife

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

hobbesmaster posted:

full speed as in gigabit state full throughput or “full speed” in the usb sense

full speed from my fios connection; it’s usb3 so it can handle a gig. 900ish up/down.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Sniep posted:

I surf in a big edgerouter with my wife

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
*tony soprano voice* kubernetes

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
rhymes with meatus

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
*joe pesci voice* nomad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
i'm glad docker isn't the fad anymore because it's a lot harder to intentionally mangle the name of it

kubberneetus