Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Tamarillo posted:

We put Thomas the Tank Engine on for the first time yesterday and our son sat transfixed for the entire time. Only noise he made was to say "Sad Choochoo" when Thomas got upset about something. This may be the start of a train obsession.

My favorite part of starting thomas was I had no idea George Carlin did the first few seasons. That was a nice surprise, even though at one point he has to do a Scottish accent that's just tragically bad.

To any parents getting into Thomas toys though, learn from my sister's mistake she warned me about. There are umpteen different styles of official thomas train tracks. Do your research and commit to the kind you want, and make sure any relatives who are prone to buying gifts especially unsolicited ones are aware of what type of track you have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
The only correct answer is wooden track, preferably second-hand. We got some Trackmaster for Christmas so I had a connector 3D printed at the library.

Edit: To clarify, this is because you have a lot more options, can get off-brand track to fill out the collection, and so on.

PerniciousKnid fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Mar 11, 2021

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?

truavatar posted:

Kid woke up at 11:15 and didn’t go back down until 2:30. She’s up again at 4:30 an I’m losing my god drat mind.

I'm right there with you. My 9 month old is on this jam, too. He's clearly tired when he gets up in the middle of the night but can muster enough "gently caress you" energy to stay awake.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
https://twitter.com/Phil_Lewis_/status/1369618187202011139

It’s amazing how much relatable this video has gotten (the accidental comedic timing throughout is still incredible)

Bonus twitter vid that makes me exhausted to even watch:

https://twitter.com/buitengebieden_/status/1369066752496242692

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!

priznat posted:

It just fills me with (misplaced) jealousy for twins parents because my kid just screams his head off any time he's alone in his room and awake.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

priznat posted:

https://twitter.com/Phil_Lewis_/status/1369618187202011139

It’s amazing how much relatable this video has gotten (the accidental comedic timing throughout is still incredible)

It really is amazing at every level. I love the way at the end, when she closes the door, she does so from the floor. I know she felt like she was probably trying to stay out of view, but I imagine the kids just pulling her by her feet backwards.

quote:

I know it's painful to be in that scenario. But this is just super endearing to watch.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
I liked how the twins would cuddle on the couch. :3:

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
Oh my god they were just up partying together all night, that is too adorable :3:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I question why have the cribs anymore since it doesn’t seem to slow them down getting out! :haw:

Still too small for a pair of twin beds I guess. I do like the cribs that convert to toddler beds!

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Mine are 20 months apart, I'm lucky they only do that until about 9pm.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Almost three year-old is having a weird day. Picked him up from DC today and he fell asleep in the car which he hasn’t done since he was an infant, then we got inside and he asked for a snack when he’d just had one in the car before falling asleep and it was an hour-ish before dinner. I told him so and he just started crying and went to his room.

Later he was playing with his keyboard but he wouldn’t come out to hang, he just stayed in his room and closed the door. I went a few minutes later to check on him and caught him climbing on his dresser because he’d thrown a toy in his laundry hamper, gave him a warning, and he closed his door again. Later he seemed normal again, until bathtime when he took a toy, filled it up with bath water, and dumped it out on the floor on purpose, purportedly in protest of the bath being over. Mom reacted accordingly (he’s done this before and he knows drat well what we think about him doing that) and then ensued a twenty-minute tantrum and refusal to get out of the bath. Mom sat in his room ignoring the tantrum, he got out and refused to be dried off, and ran out to get away from us. None of this behavior is typical for him so I’m slightly concerned but guess he’s just having a heavy emotional day and mood swings with it. But drat.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

At what point do newborn guts get themselves sorted out? Ours is 10 weeks and is a sweet little angel, until she gets gassy and then cannot get comfortable without be walked or sung to. I don’t think it’s reflux or anything out of the ordinary, I just want to know when that’s likely to be over.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

priznat posted:

I sometimes feel lucky that I have twins instead of just one. I can put them in their playpen and they can entertain themselves together while I cook dinner or do dishes or whatever and they won't need my constant attention like I think a single baby would. They'll sometimes just start laughing at each other for minutes straight and it's the cutest thing in the world. I also think that they may sleep better now because they know they aren't alone in their room and they have each other. Instead of wailing in the morning when they wake up they start "talking" to each other and that keeps them occupied for like 15-30 minutes and allows me to sleep in a bit longer.

Of course, having to do twice as much feeding and diaper changes, watching 2 babies crawling around instead of just 1, having to lug two babies in carseats when we go somewhere instead of 1, spending the money to take care of 2 instead of 1 baby probably counteracts this, but there are benefits to having twins.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

meanolmrcloud posted:

At what point do newborn guts get themselves sorted out? Ours is 10 weeks and is a sweet little angel, until she gets gassy and then cannot get comfortable without be walked or sung to. I don’t think it’s reflux or anything out of the ordinary, I just want to know when that’s likely to be over.

We lucked out and it was about 2 weeks for us. About day 4 was when we paid the $20 to overnight a bottle of mylicon, which helped about 60% (which is a lot of help when you're exhausted) and then one day offer the course of about 4 days she just phased out of it

Some babies are just stuck with being gassy as gently caress until about month 5, so your mileage may vary

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

5 months for gas issues to resolve sounds right. it's one of those things that slowly gets better so gradually you can't really say when it stops.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I have to say, once the baby did start becoming gassy, it was interesting the crazy different alternate theories my wife had for why the baby was crying/gassy, many of them were either my fault, or I was mishandling the baby, or shook the baby formula bottle too hard, or I made the baby too tired while feeding her, or or or.... At least 60 alternate reality theories none of them made a whole lot of sense but she was definitely convinced it was not gas

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I have a pretty chill baby for the most part, except when he is gassy and then he’s inconsolable. I’m trying to be better about getting a good burp out of him after feedings.

Neco
Mar 13, 2005

listen

Eggnogium posted:

It just fills me with (misplaced) jealousy for twins parents because my kid just screams his head off any time he's alone in his room and awake.

My daughter (now 4 years old) is the best when shen can‘t fall asleep: she sings. Sometimes for half an hour and it‘s the best thing ever. She is the most uncomplicated child in the history of the world and we refuse to get a second. :3:

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
loving 3 year olds. Everything's a goddamn travesty with them, and I swear it's getting worse every day.

Just had to listen to her, through exterior walls, throw a giant tantrum for I don't know why... mom was loading her and her 10mo brother in to the car to go to day care. Probably wanted to look at the flowers or something, I dunno, that's been a recent thing with spring coming.

But last night she lost her poo poo when I caught her picking her nose while waiting in her seat for dinner and made her go wash her hands (new tactic we're trying, nothing else has worked yet).

Then AFTER dinner, the lost her poo poo again when we told her to wash her hands (as we do every single night after dinner, though hand washing has been a recent power struggle). Ended up taking away privileges (feeding the dog, most of her playtime before bed) because she just flat out refused. And even once those were gone she wouldn't do it until I had to count to 3...

Speaking of, I'm getting real tired of the whole "count to 3" thing. It works like 80% of the time, but I hate even getting to that point. Is there something I'm missing here? We try all the motivational crap before we escalate... make it a race, assign "rewards" (i.e. "after you're done on the potty you can play"), but more often lately we have to get to the point of threatening to revoke privileges ("if I count to 3 then you lose one of your bedtime stories tonight"), and sometimes physically forcing something ("if I count to 3 I will wash your hands myself").

Are we loving this up? Or is this just life with 3 year olds? I hate doing this, but there are times where she just will not listen. My biggest fear is when it comes to safety things, like if she bolts off towards the street or something...

Also lol in 2 years we're going to have to do it allllll over again with the little dude.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

DaveSauce posted:

loving 3 year olds. Everything's a goddamn travesty with them, and I swear it's getting worse every day.

Just had to listen to her, through exterior walls, throw a giant tantrum for I don't know why... mom was loading her and her 10mo brother in to the car to go to day care. Probably wanted to look at the flowers or something, I dunno, that's been a recent thing with spring coming.

But last night she lost her poo poo when I caught her picking her nose while waiting in her seat for dinner and made her go wash her hands (new tactic we're trying, nothing else has worked yet).

Then AFTER dinner, the lost her poo poo again when we told her to wash her hands (as we do every single night after dinner, though hand washing has been a recent power struggle). Ended up taking away privileges (feeding the dog, most of her playtime before bed) because she just flat out refused. And even once those were gone she wouldn't do it until I had to count to 3...

Speaking of, I'm getting real tired of the whole "count to 3" thing. It works like 80% of the time, but I hate even getting to that point. Is there something I'm missing here? We try all the motivational crap before we escalate... make it a race, assign "rewards" (i.e. "after you're done on the potty you can play"), but more often lately we have to get to the point of threatening to revoke privileges ("if I count to 3 then you lose one of your bedtime stories tonight"), and sometimes physically forcing something ("if I count to 3 I will wash your hands myself").

Are we loving this up? Or is this just life with 3 year olds? I hate doing this, but there are times where she just will not listen. My biggest fear is when it comes to safety things, like if she bolts off towards the street or something...

Also lol in 2 years we're going to have to do it allllll over again with the little dude.

This is basically my life with my almost 3 fella, my last post detailed a whole almost thirty minutes of poo poo-losing for basically no reason and yesterday was emotionally a weird day for our kiddo and he was moody as gently caress. Helps to be reminded we at least aren’t alone here.

Yes sometimes a day will be going swimmingly and then the toddler will go into a room he knows he isn’t supposed to and start playing on the bed with lots of his not born yet sister’s stuff put of nowhere...like he just disappears in there without saying a word and when I call for him he doesn’t answer. Next thing I know I’m threatening to remove him from the room myself and take him to time out if he doesn’t leave using his own two legs and...counting to 3. It can be amusing to see the reactions of a toddler at each number before three, and staying calm without laughing OR yelling helps them to understand that the only reaction they will get from you is fulfilling the promise you made to give them whatever consequence. I count really slow and watch him unravel, which is so contradictory because he simultaneously thinks it’s a game but just loses his mind as I slowly get closer to three.

ne: yeah we have signed up to do it all over again with a girl this time and like what were we thinking toddlers are tiny tyrants

but they are also so goddamn adorable when they wanna be

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
For us our kids are 2 1/4 years apart and they sleep in the same room. When it goes well it goes really well and is very cute, but our younger son is having a sleep regression or something right now and his older brother has been sleeping in our room because he bolts every time his brother starts crying which is less than ideal. So we’re working on that

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

meanolmrcloud posted:

Cosigning on the mylecon stuff. Also having a towel under their legs at night, helps put their legs into a farting position.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Neco posted:

My daughter (now 4 years old) is the best when shen can‘t fall asleep: she sings. Sometimes for half an hour and it‘s the best thing ever. She is the most uncomplicated child in the history of the world and we refuse to get a second. :3:

My 4yo sings to her baby brother. "Baby Jordan, we love you, we love you, you can do anything, go to the moon, get some moon cheese, it's raining outside, we love you Jordan..."

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
Checking into the Parenting Megathread! My wife and I welcomed baby Nella into the world on Feb 3. She is extraordinarily cute and overall a very chill baby. Reading about other's experiences in this thread is really helpful (and also terrifying; do I have to raise a toddler?! :ohdear: )

PerniciousKnid posted:

My 4yo sings to her baby brother. "Baby Jordan, we love you, we love you, you can do anything, go to the moon, get some moon cheese, it's raining outside, we love you Jordan..."

Your 4 year old and I seemed to have graduated from the same songwriting school. Most of my songs have the same stream of consciousness lyrics. "We love you Nella, you're our daughter, I'm your dad. What will your favorite color be?" etc etc

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

timp posted:

Reading about other's experiences in this thread is really helpful (and also terrifying; do I have to raise a toddler?! :ohdear: )

My first kid was a maniac and my second one is a chill toddler in comparison. His tantrums are almost cute and quaint compared to his older brothers. It really is all unique to each kid. That said, I have so much more fun once they hit toddler age vs newborn. Its neat to watch them learn and become little people with personalities!

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

timp posted:

Checking into the Parenting Megathread! My wife and I welcomed baby Nella into the world on Feb 3. She is extraordinarily cute and overall a very chill baby. Reading about other's experiences in this thread is really helpful (and also terrifying; do I have to raise a toddler?! :ohdear: )
If you're strict with toddlers I think they figure it out relatively quickly. Sometimes they need to understand that fussin gets you nothin, sometimes they need to cry out their frustrations on the couch. My 3yo is having a rough time speaking and that leads to some tears as well. But they're still lovable, it's not all bad. On the balance toddlers are the best.

timp posted:

Your 4 year old and I seemed to have graduated from the same songwriting school. Most of my songs have the same stream of consciousness lyrics. "We love you Nella, you're our daughter, I'm your dad. What will your favorite color be?" etc etc

She loves attention, I'm glad she had two little brothers to watch all her performances in awe.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Alterian posted:

My first kid was a maniac and my second one is a chill toddler in comparison. His tantrums are almost cute and quaint compared to his older brothers. It really is all unique to each kid. That said, I have so much more fun once they hit toddler age vs newborn. Its neat to watch them learn and become little people with personalities!

oh my god yes, this is what I'm truly waiting for. Like, of course my baby is cute and I feel a primal need to protect her and care for her and I love her more and more every day. But I feel like I'm in a very one-sided relationship right now! I give and give and give and all she gives me in return is silent acknowledgement at best or scream-crying at worst.

I know all of that is super obvious, and to expect something from a baby is sheer idiocy. All I'm saying is I'm really, really looking forward to the first real smile, laughter, babbling, anything that will begin to reveal a little bit of her personality. That's when I feel like the parenting that I'm really excited for truly begins; trying to shape this human into a good person who can hopefully find happiness herself.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

I found that, while there were hints of it earlier, 11-12mo is when Opinions and Personality hit like a truck.

Toddlers can be exhausting, but it is a ton of fun seeing this little person emerge.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

I blubbered and teared up the first time my kiddo smiled.

Then I realized that was a reflex because he was three days old but it was still awesome and I still have the pic of it. I don’t ever post it anywhere though because my wife’s boob was in the pic

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

life is killing me posted:

I don’t ever post it anywhere though because my wife’s boob was in the pic

Post it with someone else's boob photoshopped over hers.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

PerniciousKnid posted:

Post it with someone else's boob photoshopped over hers.

Good suggestion I kinda have them too

Hers are bigger and nicer tho, she just doesn’t want people to see them, understandably

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

life is killing me posted:

Good suggestion I kinda have them too

Hers are bigger and nicer tho, she just doesn’t want people to see them, understandably

With our first kid it was always "don't take that pic! My boob is out!"

With our second kid her boob is in nearly every pic of her camera roll.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?
Last night my wife said to our three year old "Please don't pick your nose" and he replied "But it's the best way to get boogers out" and well...we couldn't argue with that.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
My almost 2 yo has started telling jokes. The other day it was, “Ice cream in a diaper? Noooo, so silly.” Last night was “Applesauce on a tooth brush? No, doesn’t go there.” This morning was “I’m drinking mama’s coffee, oh my! How interesting!”

A Big... Dog
Mar 25, 2013

HELLO DAD

Koivunen posted:

“I’m drinking mama’s coffee, oh my! How interesting!”

This one got me good

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Ours asks a question and then answers himself. Other times it’s like he’s talking to an imaginary friend. It’s pretty cute.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
This morning going to school (it was opera dress up day and my 6 year olds hair was still wet).

"Dad"

"Yeah?"

"My hair's still wet... it looks like I'm going to a wedding. Wait, not a wedding... what do you call it when someone dies?"

"A funeral?"

"Yeah a funeral. Ha... not a wedding. I mean it's kind of the same thing - your family comes around for both of them. Anyway it's always raining during funerals."

I chuckled. Then:

"Dad... it's always raining during funerals in the movies. Do you think if it was a sunny day, then someone's parents got killed, it would just start raining?"

:stare:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

BonoMan posted:

Imagining apple/google ML being able to ID a person in a photo based on just the boob

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

BonoMan posted:

My wife’s attitude toward it probably won’t change...she let me take pics with our first (like right after birth) but it couldn’t show nipple and had to be approved by her to even stay on my phone, but definitely couldn’t be sent no matter the circumstances. But she was also pretty tired, and despite the fact she’d just pushed a baby out of her body she was not wanting people to see photos of her in which she did not have makeup applied or looked like she was gonna fall asleep at any moment.

Which I totally get—some photos of that day in the hospital are shared just between us and that’s cool by me. Only I’m allowed to cast my gaze on her mammary glands after all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!
We’ve got a head cold going around the family and it’s baby’s first cold, so that’s been fun. We’ve managed to get to 8 months before getting her sick so that’s good. Covid has definitely changed things on that front.

I was just finishing up with settling her for the eleventy somethingth time when I thought I’d open up the baby monitor on my phone to see how my 3 year old was. As the app opened at full volume, she yelled out in her sleep ERNIE AND BERT. Nothing else, sleeping peacefully before and after.