Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Ok so it's a failure mode that reactors are designed to absorb and super-criticality doesn't necessarily mean you explode, just that you maybe hosed up your fuel/reactor chamber.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

CommieGIR posted:

Yes, but usually in films they refer to it "going critical" which would mean its operating at a stable state when really they mean, usually that its going supercritical and running away in an excursion event.

Its really one of those scientific terms that's been abused so often that people just use it the wrong way and everybody understands what they mean.

Right, so what I was trying to say is: "Criticality" is used to describe a thing that happens during fission. It does have a specific meaning: steady state fission reaction. This happens all the time on purpose in reactors. Most people have zero experience or knowledge of how a reactor works, beyond "radioactive stuff make power". This includes screenwriters. Criticality also occurs in fission accidents outside reactors. e: And the term "criticality" is used even when the particular accident features supercriticality for a short period of time. Fission accidents are scary, and they're probably most people's exposure to the word when it makes the news. This also includes screenwriters. Thus, I can understand how "critical" became Hollywood shorthand for "bad atomic poo poo is occurring and we might be irradiated", even when it has a proper technical meaning. I don't like it, but I can understand it.

Phy fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Mar 10, 2021

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Phy posted:

Right, so what I was trying to say is: "Criticality" is used to describe a thing that happens during fission. It does have a specific meaning: steady state fission reaction. This happens all the time on purpose in reactors. Most people have zero experience or knowledge of how a reactor works, beyond "radioactive stuff make power". This includes screenwriters. Criticality also occurs in fission accidents outside reactors. e: And the term "criticality" is used even when the particular accident features supercriticality for a short period of time. Fission accidents are scary, and they're probably most people's exposure to the word when it makes the news. This also includes screenwriters. Thus, I can understand how "critical" became Hollywood shorthand for "bad atomic poo poo is occurring and we might be irradiated", even when it has a proper technical meaning. I don't like it, but I can understand it.

Alrighty then :shrug: Just doing my part to correct that misconception.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

this is one of those things when you're listening to a layman use terminology that's common yet strictly incorrect, and you just nod along with it because you know what they mean

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Phy posted:

Ok, but am I correct that if "critical" means "a self-sustaining fission reaction where the number of neutrons pinging about the fissile material is neither increasing nor decreasing", you still don't want to be standing next to it if it's unshielded and uncontrolled?

That's the thing: "critical" means a steady-state, which implies that it's controlled. In films it's used to mean "oh poo poo," but in the real-world it means the opposite of "oh poo poo."

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

Ok so it's a failure mode that reactors are designed to absorb and super-criticality doesn't necessarily mean you explode, just that you maybe hosed up your fuel/reactor chamber.

"Critical" is not a failure mode. "Supercritical" just means that you're in a state where power is increasing; that is also not a failure mode. "Prompt supercritical" can be a failure mode in a nuclear reactor(*), and is a necessary operating mode in a nuclear bomb.

(*) - as a blanket statement, this'd be incorrect. There are reactors like TRIGA where you can pull the control rods entirely, the core'll go prompt supercritical, and the thermal expansion of the fuel elements will instantly stop the reaction, no harm done. But generally it's a bad thing in a reactor.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Phanatic posted:

That's the thing: "critical" means a steady-state, which implies that it's controlled. In films it's used to mean "oh poo poo," but in the real-world it means the opposite of "oh poo poo."

"Critical" is not a failure mode. "Supercritical" just means that you're in a state where power is increasing; that is also not a failure mode. "Prompt supercritical" can be a failure mode in a nuclear reactor(*), and is a necessary operating mode in a nuclear bomb.

(*) - as a blanket statement, this'd be incorrect. There are reactors like TRIGA where you can pull the control rods entirely, the core'll go prompt supercritical, and the thermal expansion of the fuel elements will instantly stop the reaction, no harm done. But generally it's a bad thing in a reactor.

Sick! Thanks!

I like how elegant nuke control is. I guess I was strictly talking about prompt supercritical but didn't appreciate the difference in the technical terms.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Phanatic posted:

There are reactors like TRIGA where you can pull the control rods entirely, the core'll go prompt supercritical, and the thermal expansion of the fuel elements will instantly stop the reaction

This is what happened with the Demon Core. Slotin shoved it aside, but the reaction had already gone subcritical due to heating.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I still can't get over how dumb he and his partners were, but maybe that's because I never handle fissile material.
For all I know that core slowly whispered sweet nothings to Louis until he trusted it to not be an insanely dangerous object.

Too trusting Louis, you always had been a fool.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

By popular demand posted:

I still can't get over how dumb he and his partners were, but maybe that's because I never handle fissile material.
For all I know that core slowly whispered sweet nothings to Louis until he trusted it to not be an insanely dangerous object.

It doesn't help when you specifically carry out an experiment that Fermi told you would likely result in your death if you kept doing it that way.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Phanatic posted:

Achieving criticality outside of a reactor, perhaps on the table right next to you, is absolutely "oh poo poo"

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

CommieGIR posted:

It doesn't help when you specifically carry out an experiment that Fermi told you would likely result in your death if you kept doing it that way.

Also that it had already killed Daghlian.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Slanderer posted:

Achieving criticality outside of a reactor, perhaps on the table right next to you, is absolutely "oh poo poo"

I mean, the entire point of the (poorly designed) experiment was to basically do just that: Come close to supercriticality but not enough to actually start a reaction. That was the entire reason it was such a bad idea.

Platystemon posted:

Also that it had already killed Daghlian.

Hindsight is 20/20 but only if people actually listen, right?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

CommieGIR posted:

Alrighty then :shrug: Just doing my part to correct that misconception.

Oh yeah of course, I just wanted to make sure I was communicating my point clearly, sorry

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

That's how it goes when you get too comfortable with something dangerous.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Demoncore, I can't believe you'd give Slotin the ol' spicy screwdriver.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Cojawfee posted:

That's how it goes when you get too comfortable with something dangerous.

see: powered woodworking equipment

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
Didn't we have a nuclear/radiation thread on GBS a year or two ago?
I love these kinds of discussions despite the fact I still do not understand anything about radiation.
The most intriguing point I just read about acute radiation sickness is how there are immediate health effects upon exposure to events such as demon core.
Immediate nausea, vomiting, diarrhea and headaches. Wild what is happening to your body in that split second.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

The Real Amethyst posted:

I love these kinds of discussions despite the fact I still do not understand anything about radiation.
The most intriguing point I just read about acute radiation sickness is how there are immediate health effects upon exposure to events such as demon core.
Immediate nausea, vomiting, diarrhea and headaches. Wild what is happening to your body in that split second.

We do have the reactor thread:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3916500

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

Its worth noting Prompt Criticality can happen in Reactors (as it did in SL-1) but its neither desired nor encouraged.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticality_accident#Known_incidents

Pulse operation in a TRIGA or similar reactor is intentional prompt criticality, no?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74NAzzy9d_4

though it's almost immediately arrested by the reactor's design so things don't go kablooey

The immediate vomiting is probably not directly a radiation effect but more your body going "holy gently caress something unexplainable but really bad just happened everywhere at once, I might be poisoned, get rid of food" as it does in a variety of situations.

The really creepy part to me is that unless the radiation is so powerful it actually burns you to death, there aren't many acute symptoms of a lethal exposure. In fact for a few days to weeks after the incident you feel just fine. Except the radiation has killed all of your fast-dividing cells, such as those in your GI tract and bones and blood, so once the cells that are currently alive in your body start dying naturally with no replacements forthcoming, you just sort of...liquefy.

grim

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Mar 10, 2021

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/YfNScyv.mp4

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

There's my Nuclear thread in the Science forum!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3916500

Sagebrush posted:

Pulse operation in a TRIGA or similar reactor is intentional prompt criticality, no?

True, and its one of the few reactors capable of doing that without major damage, it also helps when you are not required to operate the reactor to generate power which means it can be kept cooler and deeper in water.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_qprunoAmIJ1r0uzl6.mp4

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Is this Valheim?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Atomic accidents, making of the atomic bomb, midnight in chernobyl, and command and control are some good books that'll learn you a lot about the subject.

The plutonium processing plant fire in co is covered in atomic accidents and, just, holy poo poo.

Also the prompt critical experiments in idaho where they just blew up reactors out in the open air.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBb2oga4RWE

jamal fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Mar 11, 2021

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

A fun nuclear bomb fact: In the first nanoseconds of a nuclear bomb, some plutonium atoms simply get flung out of the core at about 1% of the speed of light. Fast neutrons from the core sometimes catch up with these speeding plutonium nuclei and split them.

It's not a significant part of the total energy released, but with the sheer number of nuclei splitting, some really improbable things happen.

Hydrogen bombs work by using a nuke to set off hydrogen fusion, which releases fast neutrons so energetic that they can split uranium-238, and the whole assembly is surrounded with tonnes of uranium-238. Neutron bombs are simply a fusion bomb without the uranium shell, to produce a massive dose of fast neutron radiation.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I highly recommend LANL's "A Review Of Criticality Accidents" which covers a lot of ground. Most of it is from Russia, a couple in Japan, and a bunch at US facilities.

Going back to the picture Plutonium rods being placed too closely to one another - there was an accident with a Plutonium solution at LANL in 1958 that blasted a worker with an estimated 13,000 REM. Too much solution was put into a tank and when the worker peeked through a porthole-style window in the tank and started the stirrer, it flashed blue. Ooops.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

TotalLossBrain posted:

Going back to the picture Plutonium rods being placed too closely to one another - there was an accident with a Plutonium solution at LANL in 1958 that blasted a worker with an estimated 13,000 REM. Too much solution was put into a tank and when the worker peeked through a porthole-style window in the tank and started the stirrer, it flashed blue. Ooops.

The Forbidden Blue.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

he got real close to nailing his foot to the roof a few times

... which might actually put him in a safer position, really

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Those look like semi truck tires and they weigh about 100lbs apiece. Dude had a poo poo day for sure.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

TotalLossBrain posted:

Note that they never figured out *why* there was so much plutonium in that tank.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Narrated by Winnie The Pooh.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

ugh, you know some rear end in a top hat manager looking at this going "jeeze why don't they all work that hard," knowing full well they don't provide insurance.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Those look like semi truck tires and they weigh about 100lbs apiece. Dude had a poo poo day for sure.

I'm definitely glad they showed him moving after he took the hit.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I have no idea what he was trying to do. His poo poo eating grin makes me think he was just being an rear end in a top hat and planned to make someone restack his mess before the back stack gave him some instant karma.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Probably just needed tires to fill an order. You don't pick those tires up unless you have to, swinging them to the top of the pile is the really backbreaking part, but that's how you take more than one, just knock them over.

ultrafilter posted:

I'm definitely glad they showed him moving after he took the hit.

Me too.

About 20 years ago I worked in truck stops, changing tires, doing services, taking deep breaths of diesel exhaust and burnt gear oil. Tire tower missed me by a foot or so once, but my luck was bound for the bottom of a service pit. Stepped over a pit one night, foot slipped on the rail and I ate metal grate in the bottom of it, hosed up my knee temporarily, then got fired for it because safety.

Two weeks later another truck stop owned by the same company hired me. It was way more redneck a shop and a lot more fun.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

"Why's his safety line anchored below him?"

*realizes it's an air hose*

:aaaaa:

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
It looks like it's all roof to the ground like an A-frame, he can just slide down. Camera goes level-ish towards the end.

Better be a mattress or something down there though.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74NAzzy9d_4

though it's almost immediately arrested by the reactor's design so things don't go kablooey

The immediate vomiting is probably not directly a radiation effect but more your body going "holy gently caress something unexplainable but really bad just happened everywhere at once, I might be poisoned, get rid of food" as it does in a variety of situations.

The really creepy part to me is that unless the radiation is so powerful it actually burns you to death, there aren't many acute symptoms of a lethal exposure. In fact for a few days to weeks after the incident you feel just fine. Except the radiation has killed all of your fast-dividing cells, such as those in your GI tract and bones and blood, so once the cells that are currently alive in your body start dying naturally with no replacements forthcoming, you just sort of...liquefy.

grim

IIRC a higher dose can cause less short-term symptoms because the cells are dead dead dead rather than critically damaged and freaking out.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

It looks like it's all roof to the ground like an A-frame, he can just slide down. Camera goes level-ish towards the end.

"Sliding" shirtless down a couple stories of oriented strand board doesn't sound much better tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

gently caress that tubby kid.