Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

I never understood the point of achievements or 100% completion besides bragging rights. Back in my day, beating an NES hard game was an achievement in itself. We didn't need no stinkin' popups telling us we did a thing in a game to have fun. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

wafflemoose posted:

I never understood the point of achievements or 100% completion besides bragging rights. Back in my day, beating an NES hard game was an achievement in itself. We didn't need no stinkin' popups telling us we did a thing in a game to have fun. :colbert:

I like achievements when they come as a bit of a surprise, like I was just dicking around and found something neat the developers snuck in and the game is like "Hey, right on, you found that thing we hid for people who explore the space" or "You pulled off this sick move that's actually pretty difficult", but I hate the ones that are like "Hey you beat the level." or "You killed X amount of baddies, have an achievement", like you didn't do anything out of the ordinary in playing the game and they just kind of hand you one for the sake of having achievements.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

wafflemoose posted:

I never understood the point of achievements or 100% completion besides bragging rights.

The bragging rights are the point. Except it's mostly just people imagining the bragging rights because overwhelmingly nobody looks at anyone else's achievements and wouldn't give a poo poo even if they did.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

When achievements first came out I was really confused because I thought people would want to hide the embarrassment of how much time they sank into doing worthless poo poo in videogames, not wear it like some kind of badge of honor. I guess I was wrong.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

Willatron posted:

I like achievements when they come as a bit of a surprise, like I was just dicking around and found something neat the developers snuck in and the game is like "Hey, right on, you found that thing we hid for people who explore the space" or "You pulled off this sick move that's actually pretty difficult", but I hate the ones that are like "Hey you beat the level." or "You killed X amount of baddies, have an achievement", like you didn't do anything out of the ordinary in playing the game and they just kind of hand you one for the sake of having achievements.

I don't mind the chapter break type ones, but if I think about them too long they seem super shady from a skinner box perspective.

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Willatron posted:

I don't mind the "you beat the level" cheevos because, for the hard games, you can look at the cheevo rates and see how many people gave up on the game before you did.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The best achievements are the ones that reward you for doing something goofy or difficult while you're playing. "Wow! You flipped the bus you were driving three times while jumping over all the giraffes! Have some points!"

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Nice Van My Man posted:

New unpopular game idea: 1 vs 100 simultaneous rally racer where it is encouraged to just try to force your opponents off the track or into fatal collisions along narrow rally roads that have not been widened.

this level of f-zero GX loving sucked

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I like achievements that encourage you to play a little differently than you would otherwise, or encourage you to engage with game systems in ways you might not normally think of but I hate the really grindy or frustrating ones.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Paradox sometimes does some cool achievements in their historical grand strategy games, a lot of "make the opposite of real history happen" stuff. Such as an achievement for conquering Europe as the Aztecs, or conquering Canada and the UK as India

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

signalnoise posted:

I mean just google up "nioh 2 nure-onna"

Sadako-snake's pretty cool not gonna lie

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

wafflemoose posted:

Also pretty much this forever

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

giogadi posted:

I don't mind the "you beat the level" cheevos because, for the hard games, you can look at the cheevo rates and see how many people gave up on the game before you did.

:same:

Also apparently game devs use these kind of cheevo as an analytics tool, which is whatever at this point. #engagement

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Also I platinum-ed some of my favorite games on PS3 because either playing it normally put me really close to finishing it off completely or I just plain liked the game. All it brought me, however, was the desire to never play the game again afterwards.

The best cheevos IMO are the jokey ones, like the Marco Polo one in Uncharted 2 which was really funny in context.

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Mar 10, 2021

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Willatron posted:

I like achievements when they come as a bit of a surprise, like I was just dicking around and found something neat the developers snuck in
Getting one for tossing a coin in the fountain in paris, in Hitman was legit

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

QuarkJets posted:

Paradox sometimes does some cool achievements in their historical grand strategy games, a lot of "make the opposite of real history happen" stuff. Such as an achievement for conquering Europe as the Aztecs, or conquering Canada and the UK as India

Yeah these are examples of good ones. Because they offer something other than "you played the video game, congrats" or pointless bragging rights. They offer tangible objectives to shoot for, if you want to, in games which otherwise are complete sandboxes.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Willatron posted:

Yeah I like when that happens although mainly the ones that pop up are so boring and standard like "finished the tutorial." Congrats to me!!! :hurr:

But the other day playing Deep Rock Galactic I was messing about in the lobby area and accidentally got an achievement for kicking four barrels into the launch vehicle before a mission and I laughed

Achievements are fine either way. It's caring deeply about them that I personally find silly and embarrassing

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

I like to go after achievements as a way of exploring more of a game I enjoy and I'll stop doing it once it feels like a chore.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

It bums me out when the devs decide to put in an achievement that boils down to "play through the entire game in a way that's less fun than playing normally" and people see that and decide to go for it on their first and only playthrough of the game (I'm looking at you, Prey).

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Fun achievements to me are completing objectives in weird ways. There's a bunch in COH 2 that involve using units that are not meta at all, kinda pissing off your allies when it's clear what hosed up thing you are doing, and still winning.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Triarii posted:

It bums me out when the devs decide to put in an achievement that boils down to "play through the entire game in a way that's less fun than playing normally" and people see that and decide to go for it on their first and only playthrough of the game (I'm looking at you, Prey).

Dishonored, DXHR, Metro: Last Light, all games that are much worse than they ought to be if you've been tricked into thinking the pacifist perk is what you should be aiming for

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Triarii posted:

Hollow Knight has a speedrun as an achievement, which really sucks. The game is great but it doesn't have any real replay value, so it's either leave the achievements incomplete or slog through the game again in a worse way.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

poverty goat posted:

Dishonored, DXHR, Metro: Last Light, all games that are much worse than they ought to be if you've been tricked into thinking the pacifist perk is what you should be aiming for

Dishonored is especially dogshit because you end up being unable to use over half the abilities/gadgets.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

That being said, a High Chaos run in that game is obscenely easy even on the hardest difficulty, so there's no real way to play Dishonored and have it feel right.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
My brain has been broken and now I think my Steam account as one massive game and each title is a side quest that grants me xp (achievements). I don't actually compare those with anyone, but it's fun to check achievementstats.com and be reminded about the stuff I've done.

It's pretty silly, but gives me a reason to play the games I own and I find it enjoyable. Also makes me less likely to want to play games that are not on Steam, so well played Gabe.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Kennel posted:

My brain has been broken and now I think my Steam account as one massive game and each title is a side quest that grants me xp (achievements). I don't actually compare those with anyone, but it's fun to check achievementstats.com and be reminded about the stuff I've done.

I'm pressing F for your broken brain.

its_my_birthday
Sep 18, 2020
downloaded control from ps plus last month and got around to starting it a couple of days ago. It's really awesome. My only criticism so far is that the display options are weird. It's either super or dark or really washed out. Even on the brightness setting it says I should see 3 symbols? I've only ever seen 2 despite how bright I make it. I was playing on the default brightness and couldn't understand why I was dying to that fridge boss that just looked like an eyeball to me. I turned to the brightness up to 100 and was like oh, he has arms! I couldn't even see them on the default setting. Now I got that sorted but the game looks way worse than it did before lol

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Excelzior posted:

Secret of Evermore was the better "Secret of" game

no the best one is the secret hidden Terranigma!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mo1Ugz28F-o

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

terranigma is better than chrono trigger although i like both

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I think Ninety percent of games should be tuned 50% harder, It's far more satisfying to beat something when it takes actual effort than to mindlessly push buttons until the credits

Edit: I say this as someone with an Avatar from a Visual Novel I'll have spent 300 hours on by the time I'm done

Gaius Marius fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Mar 11, 2021

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i love mindless gaming. like half the time i play gta i just get a fast motorcycle and drive on the main freeway around and around the whole island weaving through traffic and listening to music, its super relaxing

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

That being said, a High Chaos run in that game is obscenely easy even on the hardest difficulty, so there's no real way to play Dishonored and have it feel right.

A mixture is the perfect way to play that game. Too bad there's only achievements for the two ways that aren't the most fun way to play.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Earwicker posted:

i love mindless gaming. like half the time i play gta i just get a fast motorcycle and drive on the main freeway around and around the whole island weaving through traffic and listening to music, its super relaxing

yeah that's a big reason i've been enjoying spyro. just eat an edible and put on some music and collect some gems. very chill

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

, so there's no real way to play Dishonored and have it feel right.

No alerts, no kills.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

something about dishonored doesn't feel quite right to me but it's not so much any of the stealth or chaos mechanics it's more something about the movement and animation somehow makes everything feel sort of hollow and too light, like all of the characters are just cardboard cutouts or something, and the weapons dont feel like they have any impact

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The character models look disgusting, as they do in Prey and Dishonored 2. It looks like in Deathloop they finally realized how to make humans who don't look repulsive

Barudak
May 7, 2007

site posted:

yeah that's a big reason i've been enjoying spyro. just eat an edible and put on some music and collect some gems. very chill

If you're playing the remake the gem finder ability was ported to all 3 games. Click the left stick at any time you have sparx and they'll point to the closest uncollected gem.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Aw poo poo I remember when it was having to press all the shoulder buttons. Welcome to the future my dudes.

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019

poverty goat posted:

I'd be fine with the dishonored games if low chaos allowed you to just kill the higherups who really deserve it as a sort of hitman style end of level reward but that's actually even worse than killing grunts every mission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

lurker2006 posted:

I'd be fine with the dishonored games if low chaos allowed you to just kill the higherups who really deserve it as a sort of hitman style end of level reward but that's actually even worse than killing grunts every mission.

poo poo. nonlethal is a worse fate than a blade to the gut for most of 'em. The pope man get's turned into a zombie, lady whatshername gets sent to the creepers dungeon forever, The twins get sent to the slave mines. Vicious stuff