Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Me sowing asbestos without protection: haha gently caress yeah!!!!

Me reaping lung cancer many years later: well this loving sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

SpartanIvy posted:

Me sowing asbestos without protection: haha gently caress yeah!!!!

Me reaping lung cancer many years later: well this loving sucks.

My dad: "make sure you wear a dust mask and try not to break up those tiles while you scrape them off the concrete slab."

Me, twenty years later: "huh, I bet that was all asbestos tile, my dad's an rear end in a top hat."

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
We luckily don't live in the house yet, it's been undergoing renovations so we're not breathing in any dust at the moment. This is also why we've been so slow with dealing with this as we can only visit the house in the weekend.

On dealing with the contractor, I'll consult with the external cleaning company and research lab on that, because I have zero experience in how to deal with all that.

stealie72 posted:

Edit, also, if your contractor deals with asbestos this way, he is putting his workers at massive risk. Aggressive asbestos removal standards are less there to protect the owner and more to protect the workers from multiple, ongoing exposure. If I take down an asbestos wrapped furnace duct without adequate dust control one time, its not a massive issue. If an HVAC guy does it a couple times a week, it's a massive issue.

Yeah exactly and I'm really disappointed in that. It's one thing to grumble as a house owner at the costs of asbestos removal, it's another as a worker yourself to shrug off the measures that are there to protect you. I didn't force my contractor to break my ceiling down like this, and if he thought his first estimates were too low and he needed a larger budget to do it properly, I would have gladly covered rather than be in this situation. It wouldn't be the first time we went over budget on something.

Phew, I realise that I've been needing to rant about this for a while. There's a tenseness in my chest that's gone all of sudden. (or it's the lung cancer)

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Rexxed posted:

My dad: "make sure you wear a dust mask and try not to break up those tiles while you scrape them off the concrete slab."

Me, twenty years later: "huh, I bet that was all asbestos tile, my dad's an rear end in a top hat."

My dad: "what tiles? It's the desert, to make sure the dust is down we opened all the windows and I literally just hosed down the house as I went. Of course they weren't asbestos, I don't have a positive test for asbestos."

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

H110Hawk posted:

Be the previous owner you always dreamed of being!

i'm gonna hit you until candy comes out

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
A full day's progress!

But seriously, demolition of the rest of the old fence was a massive pain. I had to run to the store and get a digging bar and a 16 lb sledge to break up all the concrete left behind by the rotten posts. We have one more old pile to dig up and then it should be smooth sailing (famous last words).

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

Rexxed posted:

Me, at 14 except siding and no mask.

Later on I removed some old equipment from a factory and learned that masks, tyvek and keeping it wet are key. Zero contact with my father these days.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

All the DIY dudes on YouTube tell me I don't need a mask, though!

mutata fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Mar 7, 2021

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
Any recommendations for an external-vented range hood, ideally a microwave unit?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Toebone posted:

Any recommendations for an external-vented range hood, ideally a microwave unit?

We have been pleasantly surprised at how well our WMH53521HZ is working. Be very careful ordering, there are several slight variations which go from excellent to poor ratings on consumer reports, I accidentally ordered the wrong one at first.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
Scratch that, I did a little googling and it turns out the microwave I already own can be externally vented. It's old enough to drink but still works fine.

How DIY-able is installing a vent to the outside? It about a 5-foot distance to the outside wall, above the drop ceiling.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Jesus Christ how long should it take to drill through ceramic? New carbide bit which is still sharp... I've done an hour and am 6mm in.

e: finally through. Onto Hole 2

knox_harrington fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Mar 8, 2021

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Are you sure that's ceramic and not vibranium?

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now
Were basement jacuzzis a "thing" at some point? We've seen it in a few homes here, all circa the 80s.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Obligatory

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

The college hovel I lived in had a garage hot tub which had been there since the late 90s or early 00s. Garage was not for parking because it was full of crap (like a hot tub and a couch and a beer pong table) and had a manually operated door, but also a floor drain, so it was perfect as a gross hot tub party room.

Where I grew up in the SF Bay Area, they were almost always on back decks/patios. Ideally made out of redwood (e.g. those cool round ones from the 70s) and underneath a canopy of redwood trees with weed available and the fog rolling in but you not caring because you’re high and warm.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Here's a potential fun question/topic. I've got a brother starting to look at houses in the mountains of Colorado. Nothing too remote so road access, electrical etc, possibly some of the places will be on septic instead of sewer - just to give you an idea of remote mountain living vs. comforts of civilization.

ANYWAY - some of the places he's shot me links to so far have been log cabin style places which I have no knowledge about versus stick built construction which while I'm not an expert I've lived/owned/done repairs on 4 different stick built homes now. All that to say I don't know poo poo about log cabin style builds beyond what I've done with lincoln logs as a kid. Looking for any and all advice on what to look for when buying a place like that, any good internet articles or books on the subject?

Does anyone here live in log cabin place?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

My basement asbestos tile adventure turned out to be about 6 square feet of strips, so that wasn't too bad when I got around to doing it a few weeks ago. There was way less than I'd expected from my initial probe and most of the pieces were smaller than I'd anticipated. I have more square footage of shop towels from my clean-up sealed up than I have tile.

My dumpster is coming tomorrow for all the old studs, paneling, etc. and I haven't been this excited since Christmas 1988 when I was certain I was getting a Nintendo.

Dukes Mayo Clinic
Aug 31, 2009

shirts and skins posted:

My wife and I just signed a contract on our first house, we close in three weeks

posting from the past because this is me but ~6 weeks. Old house in New England, we brought in an inspector who found several usual old-house problems but even he said casually “you should buy this,” so, fingers crossed this all goes well and I get to share the interesting parts in here.

This is a good thread. :allears:

e: and now I’m caught up. Still a good thread.

Dukes Mayo Clinic fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Mar 11, 2021

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Signed all my loan docs for my new house 2500 miles away. What can go wrong :hurr:

Dukes Mayo Clinic
Aug 31, 2009

BigPaddy posted:

Signed all my loan docs for my new house 2500 miles away. What can go wrong :hurr:

Most of this thread is still in my recent memory. Should be fine! :ohdear:

Let me share some potatocam photos of the place we did NOT buy last year.

Sincerely, good luck. This entire process is wildly stressful but has also given me Actual Goals and a renewed sense of purpose. (And I have learned home inspectors are worth every goddamn dollar you pay them and more)

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Anyone have a vendor they like for custom blinds? I have a 12 foot double sliding door i was gonna get a custom rail from Lowes for, so i can do vertical blinds with split stack, but I'm open to options.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Goosey Lee posted:

posting from the past because this is me but ~6 weeks. Old house in New England, we brought in an inspector who found several usual old-house problems but even he said casually “you should buy this,” so, fingers crossed this all goes well and I get to share the interesting parts in here.

This is a good thread. :allears:

e: and now I’m caught up. Still a good thread.

Good luck! We closed successfully a few weeks ago. Getting the home ready is a ton of work, especially since the previous owner was elderly and left the place pretty dirty, but the bones underneath look great. It's been so gratifying to see our future home slowly take shape.

We were taken aback by needing to go $75k over ask to win the bid (and there were two higher bids, albeit with more contingencies!). But it seems that's just what the market is right now, places going $75k-$125k over ask all over the place.

The Swinemaster
Dec 28, 2005

I have a fencing question. I am building a small (12 ft) span of fence and gate at the side of my house. It's perpendicular to the house wall, so one end of the fence will butt up against my house. How can I secure the house end of the fence? I could attach it directly to the stuccoed wall, but I'm not sure about that. If I need to dig a footing right against the wall, how can I be sure I won't dig into/through the clay perimeter drain tile?

Fence material tbd.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

I had some drywall cut out of my garage wall to fix some broken pipes, am I better off putting the pieces back in and just patching over the seams? Or using one of those mesh patches or something? or is there another option that's better?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

L0cke17 posted:

I had some drywall cut out of my garage wall to fix some broken pipes, am I better off putting the pieces back in and just patching over the seams? Or using one of those mesh patches or something? or is there another option that's better?

If you have clean cut squares those will be easiest to patch in. Picture?

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Okay dumb question - I have a water tank with a heater that's used for well, water supply, and a radiant floor heating system. Does the water circulated for heating the floor come back to the tank itself? I would love to go tankless heating but I'm just not sure how that'd work with the floor heating.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Less Fat Luke posted:

Okay dumb question - I have a water tank with a heater that's used for well, water supply, and a radiant floor heating system. Does the water circulated for heating the floor come back to the tank itself? I would love to go tankless heating but I'm just not sure how that'd work with the floor heating.

DHW and heating loops are separate. There are tankless heaters designed for exactly this application, just the same way your existing heater was designed for exactly this application.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Oh okay so the loop comes back to the tank then?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Less Fat Luke posted:

Oh okay so the loop comes back to the tank then?

I'm not sure what you are asking here. There are no tanks in tankless heaters, and I have no idea what kind of heater you currently have.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Motronic posted:

I'm not sure what you are asking here. There are no tanks in tankless heaters, and I have no idea what kind of heater you currently have.
Oh sorry I have a regular gigantic water tank with heater with only some plans to get tankless; I'm just trying to figure out with the floor heating if the water just recirculates back into the single heated tank I have (it must right? that's why it's a dumb question).

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Less Fat Luke posted:

Oh sorry I have a regular gigantic water tank with heater with only some plans to get tankless; I'm just trying to figure out with the floor heating if the water just recirculates back into the single heated tank I have (it must right? that's why it's a dumb question).

No, it doesn't "have" to do that. It entirely depends on the system and how it's set up.

In any case, the important thing is the very first thing I said: "DHW and heating loops are separate." At no point should the certainly fetid rusty rear end water in your hydronic heating loop be mixing with you Domestic Hot Water.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Motronic posted:

No, it doesn't "have" to do that. It entirely depends on the system and how it's set up.

In any case, the important thing is the very first thing I said: "DHW and heating loops are separate." At no point should the certainly fetid rusty rear end water in your hydronic heating loop be mixing with you Domestic Hot Water.

To put a point on it - legionnaires disease is probably a non-trivial amount of our homeowners hot water loop. There is a loop somewhere here but it doesn't go back to the tank once it flows into the floor loop. Unless there is a dedicated tank for that loop.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
I'm starting to think it wasn't a dumb question because it really does look like the loop comes back into the tank:

Also the previous owners exclusively used filtered water because the house water does not taste great (even though Toronto water is pretty good in my experience). This is the only tank we have.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Can't tell from your pictures. Call a professional if you are concerned. It's overwhelmingly unlikely this has been screwed up. drat near unthinkable.

Also, it's not something that could possibly impact the taste of your COLD water, so that's not useful information.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Makes sense about the cold water, right. The only pipes from the floor heating I can trace go back into the DHWT and it's listed as dual-purpose. If that is the case should I be concerned? You would have it on a separate tank ideally right?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Less Fat Luke posted:

Makes sense about the cold water, right. The only pipes from the floor heating I can trace go back into the DHWT and it's listed as dual-purpose. If that is the case should I be concerned? You would have it on a separate tank ideally right?

If it's listed as dual purpose then the hydronic loop is going to be attached to a different input/output then the domestic hot water.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Okay thanks for elaborating - all this is new to me!

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Also on the subject of hot water tanks - when we bought this place during the inspection the tank was leaking and I commented that it's probably not a big deal since we'd like to go tankless. The real estate agent on the seller side told the home owners who immediately replaced the tank with a new SEVEN YEAR rental.

Thanks to Ontario laws that transferred to me now. Good job assholes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

I know there's a world of difference between the two, but any time I see crimp rings on the PE piping, it gives me PolyB-TSD.