Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

I started listening earlier in the year after someone mentioned the show in one of the goon discords. It's been a great ride re-living the show and looking at back at just how bad it was / how bad my personal politics were back in the day.
Only two eps and I'll be all caught up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
your special guest Jaya was very cool and that was a super fun episode

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
We'll get her back sometime soon, and our Bants will be improved given we won't have to... Re record our entire first segment

Holidays are wrapped here, we are working out when to record this week!

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

jaya was funny and insightful, that's my feedback

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
What a week! Don't watch this episode!

It's so boring! nothing happens! gently caress!

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
May we all create content in his wake, RIP to the GOAT Presinald Trunt.

Winkle is Pancake.

Pancake... is Winkle?

THE LACES WERE IN

Gunshow Poophole has issued a correction as of 00:13 on Jan 21, 2021

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
https://twitter.com/WestWingWeekly/status/1195005209027608576?s=20

it worked!

lmao

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

I like how this is simultaneously extremely dumb and actually correct in helping outsiders understand how post Cold War western politics works.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

I think I've found your next special guest:

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2012/10/why-the-west-wing-is-a-terrible-guide-to-american-democracy/263084/

Tewdrig
Dec 6, 2005

It's good to be the king.
please do a spin off series on Yes Minister and how it’s a better representation of liberal democracy by depicting the establishment’s ability to co-opt and squash any reforms as well as having caused zero military coups.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Bump. I'll admit I haven't been up to date with your podcast for over a year. (Something bad happened to me around the same time Bernie's campaign started sinking...) I finally decided to play catch up. In the last episode, you guys seemed so excited about the Nevada caucus.

The political updates are gonna be a downer, but who knows; things got hopeful pretty hopeful again briefly after protests started. We'll see. It shouldn't take too long to marathon your podcast to the present day.

Echo Chamber has issued a correction as of 04:51 on Mar 1, 2021

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Echo Chamber posted:

Bump. I'll admit I haven't been up to date with your podcast for over year. (Something bad happened to me around the same time Bernie's campaign started sinking...) I finally decided to play catch up. In the last episode, you guys seemed so excited about the Nevada caucus.

The political updates are gonna be a downer, but who knows; things got hopeful pretty hopeful again briefly after protests started. We'll see. It shouldn't take too long to marathon your podcast to the present day.

I hope your bad thing resolved! Thank you for posting and checking in and continuing to indulge our rambling bullshit on the ol' airwaves.

we're currently on a hiatus because of a bad thing, but we're both safe and OK. I was going to record a note shortly just to say hello and that we have plans to be back in the saddle (I think with Jaya joining us again!) ASAP.

The uh, year-out-from-Feb-2020 political posts circulating in the last two weeks have been heartbreaking, we had so much hope :(

anyway kill your landlord, eat your banker, befriend your neighbors and help them grow food, we've got full intention of diving right into the S4 finale imminently.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/goldenglobes/status/1366201401806884864

he still got it

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

I scream in anger.

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005
Sad to hear that people are having bad things; glad to hear that you guys will reach the end of s4 so you'll get to what I believe is the absolute peek idiocy of the series.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
eyyy we're back!

I'll put the content warning for sexual violence and date rape up front because if you know anything about the show, you'll know what the finale of season 4 entails.

I shot for the moon on our multiple-voice recording setup and fell about... 94% short. I hope my audacity wrangling cleaned it up enough to be tolerable. We did get some really excellent discussion about exploitation via sexual shock value in this episode.

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005
This poo poo was even worse than I remember. I don't know why, but the 'boy friend' getting off the hook entirely was the part I had the hardest time with. The cross over potential was just lost when Jack Bower didn't show up to get the info about the dealer. Clearly they didn't have the Patriot Act in the Sorkinverese... that kid would have ended up at a black site in Egypt or something.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Acinonyx posted:

This poo poo was even worse than I remember. I don't know why, but the 'boy friend' getting off the hook entirely was the part I had the hardest time with. The cross over potential was just lost when Jack Bower didn't show up to get the info about the dealer. Clearly they didn't have the Patriot Act in the Sorkinverese... that kid would have ended up at a black site in Egypt or something.

it's actually quite jarring in a macro sense how a show so ostensibly focused on Politics completely eschews the current events that were unfolding contemporaneous with its creation. I'm not sure if this is a mark for or against the show although I think I recall someone saying "there's nothing like making a cultural reference to instantly date your show".

then again, as an avatar of a certain TYPE of politics it can be abstracted so much as to be literally timeless/eternal

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005
The show is so unmoored from reality in a way that has nothing to do with time. Remember when they joined the league or ordinary nations? The whole thing is the fever dream version of American history and politics that middle school textbooks endorse. I've had discussion with my boss along the same lines because he is very positive about the idea/aspirations of America which is only possible if you ignore or are supremely ignorant of actual America and its history. I think Sorkin would make the same show now as then. His vision of America has nothing to do with history, events, or information.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
we are

back on our bullshit

Tactically ascertaining the dehumanization of a woman and for some reason this is considered cool and operatory

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Well, I'm up to speed with your show.

I don't have too much interesting things to say. Keep it up.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Thanks for listening!

I compiled the interstitial songs that I definitely have the rights to use and have been doing for like 3 seasons now

on Spotify if any yall have it

I'm gonna get Tidal soon too I think

Gunshow Poophole has issued a correction as of 00:53 on Mar 19, 2021

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
unfortunately as the show enters its autumn and winter our ratio of Bants to Content is only going to increase

But for now we've got John Goodman and Zeljko Ivanek to at least preserve some of the quality of the post-Sorkin years.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Walken was meant to be a Gingrich analogue, and Gingrich eventually did okay in South Carolina for 2012, and not much else. Of course John Goodman, unlike Newt, is actually likable. That said, his campaign getting hosed off screen isn't a huge stretch. Say what you want about the post-Sorkin writers, they did predict McCain vs. Obama while Obama was a political newbie.

John Goodman's character in Alpha House was also a charismatic, southern, establishment-esque conservative, and probably even closer to a liberal's idea of a decent Republican. (Can't think of a good analogue here. Maybe pre-MAGA Lindsey Graham? He was very much trash even then.) That show ended before he could run against its Rubio clone.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Echo Chamber posted:

Walken was meant to be a Gingrich analogue, and Gingrich eventually did okay in South Carolina for 2012, and not much else. Of course John Goodman, unlike Newt, is actually likable.

Yeah imagine if Newt had the charisma of Goodman and had actually Been President for a few days, he would have kicked Romney's (not McCain, learn to count years) rear end.

Echo Chamber posted:

That said, his campaign getting hosed off screen isn't a huge stretch. Say what you want about the post-Sorkin writers, they did predict McCain vs. Obama while Obama was a political newbie.

Yeah, fair point and I'll give them credit on that when we eventually get there. Though I do find it pretty funny/telling that the original plan was for Vinnick to win but then they changed their mind when John Spencer passed away.

WampaLord has issued a correction as of 01:43 on Mar 24, 2021

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Echo Chamber posted:

Walken was meant to be a Gingrich analogue, and Gingrich eventually did okay in South Carolina for 2012, and not much else. Of course John Goodman, unlike Newt, is actually likable. That said, his campaign getting hosed off screen isn't a huge stretch. Say what you want about the post-Sorkin writers, they did predict McCain vs. Obama while Obama was a political newbie.

John Goodman's character in Alpha House was also a charismatic, southern, establishment-esque conservative, and probably even closer to a liberal's idea of a decent Republican. (Can't think of a good analogue here. Maybe pre-MAGA Lindsey Graham? He was very much trash even then.) That show ended before he could run against its Rubio clone.

The senator that most closely tickles my brain in this regard is Kay Bailey Hutchison but the analog seems inappropriate just based on the gender baggage

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
It's bad, folks!

just don't watch it!

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
This one is actually OK!

wa tch it if you want! idgaf

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
has this been posted here? Brie started this thread in October and it's still ongoing with awful handheld recordings of her laptop (just download SaveTweetVid or something!)

https://twitter.com/briebriejoy/status/1314296218151944192?s=20

https://twitter.com/briebriejoy/status/1377523763881906177?s=20

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
I will occasionally reply to one of her tweets suggesting she Go On Worst Wing but

you know

I’m just a guy with a microphone

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
https://twitter.com/thewestwing_tv/status/1385330065588645888?s=21

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
It's been almost a month!

We're back! In pog form!

this small (one) group of committed citizens is going to shitpost

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/adamjohnsonNYC/status/1389467686376247299
https://twitter.com/adamjohnsonNYC/status/1389496064315645953

I know we've already gone over this as it's in an earlier season but jesus christ almighty

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
okey doke here's the latest episode

Heck this ep of the actual show was so bad you might not even bother to listen to us really dig to try to find something to talk about

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
we are taking a tip from our ersatz third podcast member and starting to blow through these two at a time. holy poo poo this is bad times for the show

Right on, Mr. S! Put a sock in it, Roy.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Jesus gently caress liberals are so racist.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Also Rina is a Lewinsky stand in, goddamn it. I am shame. The scenario and the circumstances are identical lol dippin dry here writers

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Late to the pod and catching up, and I'm at where you guys start talking about the 2020 primaries and getting election updates on Bernie. I'm not looking forward to that sub-plot.
Also if you decide to do another Aaron Sorkin show your The Newsroom followup pod should be called More like the PoosRoom. Thanks I'll take my royalty check, please.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

HootTheOwl posted:

Late to the pod and catching up, and I'm at where you guys start talking about the 2020 primaries and getting election updates on Bernie. I'm not looking forward to that sub-plot.
Also if you decide to do another Aaron Sorkin show your The Newsroom followup pod should be called More like the PoosRoom. Thanks I'll take my royalty check, please.

lol

it’s time for the Motha Fuckin Pooooos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005
No one should watch The Newsroom. I did so that I could warn you how loving bad this poo poo is. There is a character that calls the whole team in on a Saturday for an emergency meeting... to tell them about his bigfoot theories. I work at a pretty laid back place, but if I was ever called in on a Saturday to hear some rear end in a top hat prattle on about bigfoot, the meeting would end quickly due to violent defenestration and I don't believe any jury would vote to convict. Later in the series this character lectures some new characters about professionalism. I wish I was making this up and had not actually watched this 'show'.