Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I swear the last one took a fuckin' hour

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
How are you base model M1 Air users doing thus far? I want one for casual use but lately the mood has seemed to shift a little bit (SSD stuff, “8GB is not enough”, etc.). I’ve tried to use an iPad for casual stuff, but I’m faster and more comfortable with a computer, so I’m still tempted.

Since I won’t use the computer for anything demanding I would probably be fine with 8gb RAM but the rumoured MacBooks look tasty. However, they will probably be twice the price (?) of the base model Air so probably not a fair comparison.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
I just tested my m1, 3.5 minutes to download, 42 minutes to install. The fastest way is to download xcode from developer.apple.com and extract using xip -x Xcode_12.4.xip which took 7 minutes.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Xabi posted:

How are you base model M1 Air users doing thus far? I want one for casual use but lately the mood has seemed to shift a little bit (SSD stuff, “8GB is not enough”, etc.). I’ve tried to use an iPad for casual stuff, but I’m faster and more comfortable with a computer, so I’m still tempted.

Since I won’t use the computer for anything demanding I would probably be fine with 8gb RAM but the rumoured MacBooks look tasty. However, they will probably be twice the price (?) of the base model Air so probably not a fair comparison.

I got a refurbished base model M1 Air just couple weeks ago, and it's been doing pretty well in my experience. I do a little bit of everything, GarageBand, photo editing, coding, web browsing (OK, that's my biggest focus), some games, Zoom, et cetera. I'm big on the Apple native apps, so I'm sure that helps, but I pretty much just leave everything running all the time, and it really hasn't caused any noticeable issues.

I, too, tried to hack it on an iPad, but also like you I'm more comfortable with a Mac. If there's anything that really does this MacBook in, I can always fire it up on my gaming computer or my work MacBook, so I didn't think it made a lot of sense to spend the extra money. The things that would, virtualization notably, are something I'm more likely to do on my work MacBook anyway.

Still, I think it's OK to be concerned about those things, but I think it's also OK to go for it and hope for the best. Apple does screw up, but they also seem to try to do right by their customers when they do.

nitsuga fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Mar 10, 2021

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I ordered a 16gb 1tb air, saw there was one nearby so picking up tomorrow. local pickup is nice because tax free. Would have gotten a 16/512 but apparently that's a online only custom order. 1tb will be nice anyways. feels very strange to not get a pro.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

When my $#@%! refund comes in I'll probably get an M1 Air as well, having a fan, slightly larger battery, and TouchBar doesn't seem worth the $300-400 premium that the current 13-inch M1 Pro has over the Air. To me.

And if the fabled 14-inch has enough features to warrant it (like 32 GB RAM and four TB ports) then I'll sell the Air in SAMart and get that.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Binary Badger posted:

When my $#@%! refund comes in I'll probably get an M1 Air as well, having a fan, slightly larger battery, and TouchBar doesn't seem worth the $300-400 premium that the current 13-inch M1 Pro has over the Air. To me.

And if the fabled 14-inch has enough features to warrant it (like 32 GB RAM and four TB ports) then I'll sell the Air in SAMart and get that.

Supporting more than 1 external monitor on the next one will have me upgrading to that immediately, otherwise I am loving this M1 Air 16gb/512gb

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the stone that builder refused
I am the visual
The inspiration
That made lady sing the blues
After a couple of months, my M1 Air (8C/16GB/1TB) has quickly become one of my favorite modern gadgets. I own a stupid amount of computers across the gamut, for various things.

This Air is such a lovely, tight, cohesive package. It stands fairly alone in terms of contemporary value and feeling like the pinnacle of something.

An incredible upgrade from my 2017 12" MacBook for a highly-portable. It feels a decade apart more than three years.

Everything about it feels ultra-responsive and ultra-modern. Instant-on beautiful display, super quick touch ID, astounding battery life, fast, truly silent, usually cool to the touch, actually feels nice in your lap. Great trackpad as expected, and great keyboard as not-always-expected these days. And the particular gold color is so lovely. Even Big Sur is better than I thought it would be.

(Price completely aside, I vibe with this machine's je ne sais quoi more than the Pro's non-tapered bottom, fans, touch bar, lack of scintillating color option, etc.)

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Empress Brosephine posted:

Do any of you also have to install Xcode after every fukkin software update

On the upside the M1 machines unpack and validate Xcode in like 1/10th the time

I've got a 16" i9 machine from work and a personally-owned M1 MBP. I'm on gigabit so it downloads all 12 gig in 90 seconds, then work machine takes better part of a lunch break to unpack and validate. Meanwhile the M1 is done in 4 or 5 minutes.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

Whatever happened to the battery health issue where people were hitting 80% in like a year after only 200 charges?

work 16mbp is at 7795 mAh full charge capacity and it has 25 cycles lol

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Empress Brosephine posted:

Do any of you also have to install Xcode after every fukkin software update

Yeah and it’s annoying as gently caress.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Thank you all for your feedback regarding the M1 Air. I caved and got the base model. I figured I'll try it out for a few weeks and return it if it doesn't work out as expected.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Edit: not hardware lol

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
This anti-glare coating issue is just never going away, is it? My wife has a habit of touching the screen when she’s pointing at something and the first couple of fingerprints on our new M1 MBA have already worn away the coating.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

What the hell are you cleaning your screen with? Sand?

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

I’m using the Apple microfiber cloth that came with my 2015 MBP that I guess isn’t provided anymore. Took me by surprise too; I wiped away the fingerprint itself and a smudge that looked like the oleophobic coating worn away was left in its place. Apple guidance is to clean with 70% isopropyl alcohol so I guess I’ll try that next, but my guess is it’s gonna gradually wear the entire coating away.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
the oleophobic coating isn’t really visible is it? also i didn’t know they bothered putting that on macbooks?

also also the oleophobic coating is by nature impermanent so i’m not sure that’s what’s going on here

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Just clean off the entire screen; you probably just smeared the fingerprint oil around.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Inept posted:

Just clean off the entire screen; you probably just smeared the fingerprint oil around.

this is my thought too

hope that’s the case anyways

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

I guess it’s entirely possible that it’s just fingerprint oils that are left on the screen, I was just surprised that wiping away didn’t remove or even move the smudges themselves. I can understand the oleophobic coating wearing away (happened after four years or so with my 2015 MBP), but I’ve had this MBA for under a month.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

again are you conflating oleophobic and antireflective

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

mediaphage posted:

again are you conflating oleophobic and antireflective

Ah! Yes, I now realize I have used the two interchangeably despite MacBooks only having the latter. Still, I know it’s been an issue for a while with other models and I wasn’t sure if fingerprints/screen touching is one of the ways it manifests.

Edit: Here's an image of what I'm talking about. You can see the fingerprints in the center and then smudges along the top where the screen has been grabbed.

illcendiary fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Mar 12, 2021

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

illcendiary posted:

Ah! Yes, I now realize I have used the two interchangeably despite MacBooks only having the latter. Still, I know it’s been an issue for a while with other models and I wasn’t sure if fingerprints/screen touching is one of the ways it manifests.

Edit: Here's an image of what I'm talking about. You can see the fingerprints in the center and then smudges in the corner where the screen has been grabbed.

yeah google macbook antireflective coating wearing off and you’ll see what it looks like. it’s very obvious imo.

if it happened after a single print your partner has like acid fingers. it’s more likely still just smudged.

edit: yeah those are just prints. try even just dampening your microfibre cloth with a small amt of water and you should see a distinct difference.

lmao jesus tho

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

mediaphage posted:

yeah google macbook antireflective coating wearing off and you’ll see what it looks like. it’s very obvious imo.

if it happened after a single print your partner has like acid fingers. it’s more likely still just smudged.

I'm familiar! As I said, it happened on my old MBP. Looked absolutely awful, this is something different. Just my anxiety acting up I guess. Maybe we should just go back to playing Wingspan with the physical board game instead of on the laptop so she'll stop poking at the screen.

Hitch
Jul 1, 2012

Is now a good time to buy a new M1 MacBook Pro or are we somewhat mid cycle and more significant changes are rumored for next version. I’ve never owned a Mac but looking to get one. I just heard the Touch Bar was going away and not sure if I should wait or not.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Hitch posted:

Is now a good time to buy a new M1 MacBook Pro or are we somewhat mid cycle and more significant changes are rumored for next version. I’ve never owned a Mac but looking to get one. I just heard the Touch Bar was going away and not sure if I should wait or not.

if you really need a new laptop you should get one now. the air is the sweet spot at the moment. if you don’t need a new laptop and can afford to wait, you might as well to see what comes with the next iteration (probably more ram, ports, displays?).

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Hitch posted:

NGL who TF knows. The 16 should be getting some sort of M1 chip and they could introduce a 14 inch then but that’s unlikely IMO.

It’s not a bad time to buy actually since you can get a pretty good discount.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Hitch posted:

Normally it's just buy it now if you want/need it, or wait an indefinite amount of time if you can stand to wait if you really want the latest...

But March/April tends to be a time Apple announces stuff, and there's a recent rumor about a March 23rd event. So if you can wait, might as well wait 10 days and see what happens at this point.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

I hope the next one has ports on both sides and a webcam bump — even if it did nothing else, those would be welcome upgrades.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

movax posted:

I hope the next one has ports on both sides and a webcam bump — even if it did nothing else, those would be welcome upgrades.

I’d be happy with ports on both sides. It’s actually kinda frustrating when I need to charge it and use it.

Hitch
Jul 1, 2012

japtor posted:

But March/April tends to be a time Apple announces stuff, and there's a recent rumor about a March 23rd event. So if you can wait, might as well wait 10 days and see what happens at this point.

This is a good point. I’ll prob wait for anything game changing otherwise pull the trigger.

Same spot you get with anything else I suppose, always something else around the corner.

Thanks all.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

japtor posted:

It’s also within the 14 day return period, so I’d say just buy one if you need it and wait if you don’t.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I’m cross posting this from another thread because it’s pretty relevant for those of us who sell the machines when we upgrade.

Miles McCloud posted:

A few weeks ago in this thread we had a small discussion about selling stuff on ebay, and the potential tax pitfalls one can encounter. I'm sad to report that, for us US goons at least, things are about to become much trickier. Buried in the recently passed stimulus bill, was a clause that lowered the Federal IRS Form 1099K reporting limit from $20,000 to a mere $600. While some states had already lowered this threshold, most of the country still allowed you to sell $20,000 gross without the IRS getting involved. That's over now, starting in January being a carefree hobbyist seller will be difficult if not impossible.

This is really sad for me, as I've been a hobbyist ebay seller for the past 20 years. I mainly deal in retrogame \ boardgame related stuff, and was able to make my hobbies pay for my hobbies by owning things for awhile and then passing them on to trade for something else. This isn't my day job, but I've averaged around several thousand gross annually, most of which always went right back into the hobby. I did it full time for a bit when I was between jobs, but I've typically just been a hobby seller and nothing more.

With the IRS about to stick their nose in, it'll take a lot of the fun out of it. I can't even begin to imagine the bookkeeping involved with this. I've been slowly selling off my collection of Famicom \Super Famicom cart over the past year, most of which were acquired in dozens of lots of multiple games imported in bulk from Japan - how do I even begin to determine my original cost of a single cartridge to determine overall profit? Is an emailed invoice from a decade ago considered a legal receipt? Plus, by the time I factor in ebay fees and shipping, if I'm handing over an additional 10% or so to Uncle Sam my net on a $10 free shipping game cart shrinks to like $4. My taxes have always been dead simple with single W-2, having to crunch 100+ ebay transactions a year sounds like a nightmare. Maybe I'll open a SA Mart thread at some point in couple months, we'll see.

Sorry for the small rant. I shouldn't complain too much, I'm already pretty much set for life on games, there's no real reason to keep this up indefinitely, and at least I have until January to try and move what I don't want to keep indefinitely. Lots of folks aren't so fortunate and given the circumstances of the last 12 months, it really seems like an inhumane time to be going after the folks cleaning their garage out to make rent payments, but that's our government for you.

I’m going to have to assume swappa will also comply with this.

So prices will likely go up to compensate for this and regular people will just end up taking the 10% hit or whatever.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

movax posted:

The 4-port Pro hasn’t been updated yet for Apple Silicon, that and the iMac are the next rumored to be bumped.

I think people forget they have two versions of the MacBook Pro.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

edit: you proved your point because i completely forgot that there's a 2- vs 4-port 13-inch

mediaphage fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Mar 15, 2021

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

FCKGW posted:

I think people forget they have two versions of the MacBook Pro.

What's the point of the four port model anyways? Is that their enterprise long term support model, sort of how the 2012 cd rom model was available for something like six years, or whatever

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Hadlock posted:

What's the point of the four port model anyways? Is that their enterprise long term support model, sort of how the 2012 cd rom model was available for something like six years, or whatever

i have to assume it's the other way around and get the base 13-inch cheap enough to snag education dollars isn't it? the 4-port version has had (who knows what will happen with the m* generations, mind you) better, newer CPUs, better speakers, better cooling, better wifi (3x3 vs 2x2), etc., up to this point

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Hadlock posted:

I just assumed it was their “third pillar” in case apple silicon flopped or developers hated it.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The 4 port is the standard model. The 2 port was only introduced a couple years ago when they dropped the MacBook and had to have a product to fill the $1299 price point. Before the refresh it had an 8th gen Intel while the 4 port is still on the 10th gen.

Apple only refreshed their lowest end models with the M1, all the flagship products haven’t been touched yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Give me four ports (on an apple laptop) or give me death