Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

Maruki in a fighting game would be kinda wild.

I'm imagining for someone the Journalist in HotlineMiami 2 where once you push him he goes apeshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Jesus what if they do P5A with the awesome 3D anime visuals they've now perfected with Guilty Gear and FighterZ, how insane would that look

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Harrow posted:

Jesus what if they do P5A with the awesome 3D anime visuals they've now perfected with Guilty Gear and FighterZ, how insane would that look

I think it would be less work to make sprites for the Persona 5 cast and use the old Persona 3 and 4 sprites than it would to make the 3D thing work for whatever cast they end up with for P5A.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Maruki in a fighting game would be kinda wild.

At least like the protagonists he’s got a really easy instant-kill. I am thou, thou art I. *Adam Kadmon crushes you under his fist.*

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Mar 11, 2021

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

ApplesandOranges posted:

Unless we're going into weird 'Cooking Mama' style games a fighting game seems the logical next step.

Doesn't sound too bad to me. I would totally play Cooking Joker over P5 Arena any time.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Lord_Magmar posted:

I think it would be less work to make sprites for the Persona 5 cast and use the old Persona 3 and 4 sprites than it would to make the 3D thing work for whatever cast they end up with for P5A.

Probably, though I think they'd have to do a Persona Q "takes place outside of linear time" thing and keep the P4 cast their high school ages if they wanted to just reuse the existing sprites.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I hope that if they do P5A, they manage to make it work without the 10 minutes of visual novel between fights.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

You're right, they should go full Xrd and not have fights interrupting the VN at all.

Edit: I really want Persona 5 Arena but I don't see it happening after Strikers, which has shown Atlus they can can make spinoffs in genres that actually make money.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Harrow posted:

Probably, though I think they'd have to do a Persona Q "takes place outside of linear time" thing and keep the P4 cast their high school ages if they wanted to just reuse the existing sprites.

They just need a good reason for them to be in their clothing, I don’t think Persona 5 is that long after Persona 4, like 3 or so years?

Plus could be that inside the metaverse the P4 cast revert to the looks they believe they should have when using Personas, same as how the thieves end up looking the way they do.

Also thinking more about instant kills you could totally do the Bedman thing with Maruki, have his instant kill be actualising the perfect world for his enemy, unique for each character.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Mar 11, 2021

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Lord_Magmar posted:

They just need a good reason for them to be in their clothing, I don’t think Persona 5 is that long after Persona 4, like 3 or so years?

Plus could be that inside the metaverse the P4 cast revert to the looks they believe they should have when using Personas, same as how the thieves end up looking the way they do.

Also thinking more about instant kills you could totally do the Bedman thing with Maruki, have his instant kill be actualising the perfect world for his enemy, unique for each character.

It's roughly 4-5 years after P4 if I remember right. Old enough that the P4 cast would be legally adults, except Teddie who is a cursed child.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Lord_Magmar posted:

Five years (P4 is in 2011-12, P5 is 2016-17), so yeah unless it's Metaverse stuff it'd be weird for them to be in their Yasogami High uniforms.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Harrow posted:

Five years (P4 is in 2011-12, P5 is 2016-17), so yeah unless it's Metaverse stuff it'd be weird for them to be in their Yasogami High uniforms.

I liked an idea I saw in a fanfic that had the Persona 4 cast gain various detective/law enforcement outfits in the metaverse because their whole thing is investigating criminal activity. Naoto was in the full Sherlock outfit, Kanji was a riot cop, Yukiko was an Agatha Christie protagonist, Chie was a Kung Fu cop, Teddie was a children’s show detective, Yu was Dojima/da chief and I cannot remember the rest.

I guess the SEES members would get spy themed outfits?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Yosuke would dress like Edgeworth but gets treated like a Gumshoe.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Lord_Magmar posted:

I liked an idea I saw in a fanfic that had the Persona 4 cast gain various detective/law enforcement outfits in the metaverse because their whole thing is investigating criminal activity. Naoto was in the full Sherlock outfit, Kanji was a riot cop, Yukiko was an Agatha Christie protagonist, Chie was a Kung Fu cop, Teddie was a children’s show detective, Yu was Dojima/da chief and I cannot remember the rest.

I guess the SEES members would get spy themed outfits?

Chie looks like the dude in Hardboiled.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I feel like introducing the Phantom Thieves to a bunch of adults, dressed like cops, in the Metaverse would start and end exclusively with violence.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

YggiDee posted:

I feel like introducing the Phantom Thieves to a bunch of adults, dressed like cops, in the Metaverse would start and end exclusively with violence.

They're mostly Detectives, Sherlock himself had much disdain for the Police

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Lotus Aura posted:

Doesn't sound too bad to me. I would totally play Cooking Joker over P5 Arena any time.

Don't shake Morgana.

DON'T SHAKE MORGANA.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

YggiDee posted:

Well yes, that’s why it’s Persona 5 Arena. You need a good misunderstanding for the heroes to fight about before they work together against the real villain.

“poo poo it’s the cops we better get the eff outta here.” - Ryuji upon seeing the Investigation team.

“Those mysterious masked individuals need to be questioned.” -Naoto, probably

Detectives vs Thieves is honestly a really easy slam dunk for a Persona 5 Arena game.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Mar 11, 2021

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Cut to Ryan Davis man handling a Morgana Plushie

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

We never got that huge Ultimax patch on console and I’m still inconsolably irate to this day about that.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm not all that well-versed in fighting games. How would a potential P5A handle a small character like Morgana? It seems like his hitbox would be unworkably small so he'd need to always have Zorro out or something.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Yukiko, probably at some point: I wonder if you can roast a cat and eat it

Harrow posted:

I'm not all that well-versed in fighting games. How would a potential P5A handle a small character like Morgana? It seems like his hitbox would be unworkably small so he'd need to always have Zorro out or something.

With BlazBlue, they handled Carl by giving him an extra hurtbox with a hat. With Jubei, they made it so that he was always treated as crouching (which puts characters in extra hitstun when they get hit), so when characters could land combos on him that would be harder to perform on other characters.

Morgana is especially small, so I feel like they'd need to find a workaround similar to Carl. Make his weapon extra long and a hurtbox or something. Or just put him on a moving box with wheelies.

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Mar 11, 2021

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Seeing the older P3 cast was absolutely a highlight of P4A so I would be really disappointed if they did a PQ thing.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I've posted about this before, but one potential complication with portraying the P4 cast (and, by extension, the P5 cast) as adults is that it would require them to either really tiptoe around the characters' personal lives, or officially de-canonize player-chosen romances. I think they're reluctant to do that because "who does the main character date" is one of the only real choices a player makes in a Persona game, and while a lot of spin-offs kind of dance around it or reduce it to just flirting, they haven't really been in a position to make an official "these characters do/don't end up together in the long run" canon in a game or spin-off. It's easier for the P3 cast, because the cast's dynamic doesn't revolve as much around the protagonist as it does in P4 and P5, and also he's not around anymore to be part of their adult lives.

That's not to say they wouldn't, or that there's no way to just sort of dance around it, but it'd be tricky.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Just kill off Yu in-between games, and then it becomes obvious that Chie dates Yukiko, Yosuke has permanent custody of Teddie, Naoto is married to her work and Kanji just gets work as Rise's bouncer.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

Just kill off Yu in-between games, and then it becomes obvious that Chie dates Yukiko, Yosuke has permanent custody of Teddie, Naoto is married to her work and Kanji just gets work as Rise's bouncer.

Yu comes back as Nanako's persona

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Harrow posted:

Yoda in Soulcalibur IV was immune to high attacks and throws and he was still bottom of the barrel trash because his range was so tragic.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

You could do something where Morgana fights as the Monabus most of the time. Or have the start of the game be the Phantom Thieves working out how to help Morgana look human, possibly with help from select individuals or groups.

Morgana being able to shift between human, mascot, bus and normal cat would let you have a pretty wild moveset.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Shapeshifter Mona would be pretty sick

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Thinking on it and Royal Maruki could actualise Morgana’s ability to become human, as a sort of test of using his powers without becoming the gentle madman again. It’s an entirely innocuous use of the powers, and one that Morgana would appreciate a lot without really breaking the world. Either that or the real Igor helps Morgana out.

Also in terms of the canonical dating stuff, Persona 3 sequel stuff (The Answer, P4 Arena and Ultimax) straight up decided I think Yukari and Aigis are the only real canon options, maybe Elizabeth. So it’s not like they haven’t done it before. If anything I imagine P5 Arena would make Kanji/Naoto canon and leave everyone else single.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Mar 11, 2021

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT: If you defeat the IT President miniboss in Shido's Palace on a Sunday (so 12/4 or 12/11) then Akechi WILL wear his dumbass sweater vest in the following conversation with Shido.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Super Persona Kart

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I started P5R a few months ago after getting it on Black Friday because my cousin recommended it to me, and got about 8 hours in (shortly before the first boss) and set it down for a little while for school and other games.

I picked it up again this and it totally got its hooks in me now, I’m just getting to Medved and I really never want to stop playing at the end of the night

Unconnected thoughts about the story so far
*I thought I would enjoy this because I liked the character dynamics in FE3H a whole bunch and this definitely feels like more of that. I wish we could do the non protag Social Links like in that game, I want to see more of my teammates interacting with each other, even when they get on my nerves
*all the party members I’ve met so far are great. After the first chapter I was worried about how new characters would slot into the team dynamic but as much fun as The Four Stooges were, Makoto and Yusuke both fit in flawlessly.
*the game is very good at making characters it’s fun to hate. Makoto was a total narc when she first appeared in the story but once you get to know her better she’s wonderful. Akechi is the one I’m currently enjoying trying to figure out, I’m not sure if he’s a friend or if he’s gonna gently caress me over
*I know Kasumi and Doctor Hunk are new to Royal and you can sort of tell where they’re stitched in a but but their scenes are all really good. If anything happens to Kasumi I might break my PlayStation.
*god drat it’s gonna be hard to top that first palace. Kaneshiro and Matarame are both great villains and I love the on-the-nose writing of all of their shadow selves but I don’t think any game has captured a loathsome slime like Kamoshida so well.
*I love how interconnected things feel. Having the through line mixed in with the episodes makes it feel so full. A lot of the confidant stories are fun too.
*the Kawakami stuff is insane and uncomfortable and I hated it so much. I get what it’s going for, the game has a lot to say about toxic relationships but I really do not think that solving her problems only to immediately try to pick her up as a 17 year old is absolutely nuts and kind of makes her a worse character because how do you talk about wanting to be a better teacher and then date a student! I made an alternate reality save just to watch the scene and get the mark for my award and I just sat there thinking “who thinks this is a good idea, who wants this”. I’m starting to get similar vibes from The Plague Doctor and I definitely don’t want to romance her either but at least she’s not Joker’s teacher.
*I like the “adults suck cops suck vigilante Justice rules” theme so far. Even the “adults” who are on your side tend to be on the younger end and also got hosed out by society and hierarchy at some point because of their youth; Kawakami, Takemi, No-Good Tora, I have to imagine the reporter and fortune teller will reveal that part of their backstory soon enough, they all fit the bill. The only really good older adult is Sojiro. He’s another one who starts out suspicious but he becomes caring pretty quick, he’s too good

Game mechanic stuff:
*this is easily the best turn based game I’ve ever played possibly barring Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door. There’s a lot that I’m still trying to wrap my head around with the persona fusing but I’m ending up fairly over leveled so I haven’t had too much trouble unless I get careless, and I imagine it’s only gonna get easier as I get more party members and totally don’t need healing items anymore.
*Im using a really strict guide to get everything and I’m really glad I did. The game is really overwhelming with regards to the social aspects and playing through the game first with a tight hand holding is making it feel reasonable. (It’s not perfect though, I hosed up one night by not saving enough and accidentally triggering the wrong event and having to figure out how to un-gently caress myself was a very fun little meta-game.)
*game is easier than I expected in the dungeons. I briefly sampled a translation of the very first SMT game last year and that game is unforgiving but there are so many options that I’ve never got the feeling that there’s no way to win and there’s still a lot of things to add.

Edit: oh yeah and as if the game needed to win me over any more, it has my favorite card game of all time in it. I may end up putting just as much into Tycoon as the regular game. It’s not quite as full featured as the versions in Nintendo’s Clubhouse Games but those games don’t let me play against my new anime friends so you win some and lose some

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Mar 11, 2021

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

DC Murderverse posted:

*I thought I would enjoy this because I liked the character dynamics in FE3H a whole bunch and this definitely feels like more of that. I wish we could do the non protag Social Links like in that game, I want to see more of my teammates interacting with each other, even when they get on my nerves

I would love to see party member social links in the next Persona game. There are some great little interactions between the Phantom Thieves in Persona 5 that I wish we could've seen expanded on.

DC Murderverse posted:

*Im using a really strict guide to get everything and I’m really glad I did. The game is really overwhelming with regards to the social aspects and playing through the game first with a tight hand holding is making it feel reasonable. (It’s not perfect though, I hosed up one night by not saving enough and accidentally triggering the wrong event and having to figure out how to un-gently caress myself was a very fun little meta-game.)

If you're using the guide I know of, it's worth noting that it includes like a full month of free time towards the end. There's a pretty good amount of leeway to screw things up or do things in a different order if you want to. I managed to max all the confidants in vanilla Persona 5 without a guide, and P5R makes it easier to do that.

There are some confidants that have deadlines but the most important one of those actually has an in-game "hey, this character won't be available anymore in about a month" warning cutscene in the actual game.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Yeah I played P5R semi-optimally (since I'd played P5, I knew about some time-saving tips and minmaxing) but I didn't religiously follow a guide and I had way too much free time at the end.

Also it's funny that despite all the different opinions I've seen about P5(R), the almost universal one I've seen is 'Ohya is terrible'. I don't know if it's because of her link, the fact that there's this gap early on in her SL where you pretty much have to hang out with her multiple times or choke up yen for fortune telling, or her terrible Confidant bonuses but... I don't think I've seen a single fan of hers. At bet they're kinda neutral, maybe.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

ApplesandOranges posted:

Also it's funny that despite all the different opinions I've seen about P5(R), the almost universal one I've seen is 'Ohya is terrible'. I don't know if it's because of her link, the fact that there's this gap early on in her SL where you pretty much have to hang out with her multiple times or choke up yen for fortune telling, or her terrible Confidant bonuses but... I don't think I've seen a single fan of hers. At bet they're kinda neutral, maybe.

I guess I'm in the neutral category. I don't really get all the Ohya hate. She's a drunk and that's always a certain level of annoying but I never found her unbearable, plus her hangouts mean I also get to see Lala-chan and that's a good thing. :)

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

I like Ohya, but yes she’s terrible. Her Social Link is terminally boring, her actual personality can be grating (constantly weird mopey happy drunk is not fun to be around that often) and her abilities even in Royal kind of suck big time. Plus her introduction scenes give people a bad taste in vanilla P5.

I think she’s interesting, but literally only when her social link is about her missing partner not any of the actual shenanigans you get involved in directly. If I had to redesign her, I would highlight her partner and Lala-Chan over the actual journalism blocking, and probably give her social link abilities to do with treasures demons as well as the manipulation of alert levels. Something like she guarantees 1-4 treasure demon spawns in a palace or segment of mementos at rank 3-5-7-9. Or as an alternative to Chihaya you could request Ohya create certain stories for the newspaper and that could modify mementos layouts beforehand to have more of certain Persona types, or give better rewards.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Mar 11, 2021

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Lord_Magmar posted:

I like Ohya, but yes she’s terrible. Her Social Link is terminally boring, her actual personality can be grating (constantly weird mopey happy drunk is not fun to be around that often) and her abilities even in Royal kind of suck big time. Plus her introduction scenes give people a bad taste in vanilla P5.

I think she’s interesting, but literally only when her social link is about her missing partner not any of the actual shenanigans you get involved in directly. If I had to redesign her, I would highlight her partner and Lala-Chan over the actual journalism blocking, and probably give her social link stuff to do with treasures demons as well as the manipulation of alert levels. Something like she guarantees 1-4 treasure demon spawns in a palace or segment of mementos at rank 3-5-7-9.

If I had to redo it I would just make the confidant with Lala-chan instead and have the bonuses be that you can put on fun outfits.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I'd give her the cool design she had before Hashino weighed in.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Lord_Magmar posted:

I think she’s interesting, but literally only when her social link is about her missing partner not any of the actual shenanigans you get involved in directly. If I had to redesign her, I would highlight her partner and Lala-Chan over the actual journalism blocking, and probably give her social link abilities to do with treasures demons as well as the manipulation of alert levels. Something like she guarantees 1-4 treasure demon spawns in a palace or segment of mementos at rank 3-5-7-9. Or as an alternative to Chihaya you could request Ohya create certain stories for the newspaper and that could modify mementos layouts beforehand to have more of certain Persona types, or give better rewards.

Yeah, this would be a big improvement, I think.

I'm kind of curious: did anyone actually have trouble with the alert levels in Persona 5, vanilla or Royal? I always found that the stealth was simple enough, and the default levels of alert reduction on ambushing an enemy were generous enough, that I never once had to actually think about the alert level while exploring Palaces. That alone makes whatever they tried to do with Ohya's abilities just kinda :shrug:. It's help managing a system that I never had to think about in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Harrow posted:

I'm kind of curious: did anyone actually have trouble with the alert levels in Persona 5, vanilla or Royal? I always found that the stealth was simple enough, and the default levels of alert reduction on ambushing an enemy were generous enough, that I never once had to actually think about the alert level while exploring Palaces. That alone makes whatever they tried to do with Ohya's abilities just kinda :shrug:. It's help managing a system that I never had to think about in the first place.

Yeah I never had the slightest issue with alert levels in either P5 version. I think one time it got up to like 30% or something so I used whatever that item is to reduce it, but I don't recall it ever getting higher than 10% any other time.