Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Seth
Gloria
Adelle
Elvis
View Results

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!

John Wick of Dogs posted:

If I want my characters true stats basically I need to set them to freelancer and strip them naked right? I want to see who should get the stat boost items. But actually that won't work either cause now they get huge boosts based on how many classes they've mastered

Afaik without stat-boosting items everyone has the same base stats at each level. Who gets what stat booster should depend on what classes they use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Detective No. 27 posted:

Wtf. I just got to chapter 2 last night and my Google feed sent me this today. I didn't Google anything about it or say anything out loud.

I mean, have you searched for Bravely Default? There's probably a fairly broad correspondence between searching for "dag bravely default 2 naked" and "what is schnitzel" which the Algorithm can spot.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Can I get some team building tips. Early chapter 6 and I'm just not killing things fast enough and things are starting to one shot me.

The boss of chapter 5 took me like 5 tries because she'd just go apeshit and spam nukes and when I won was just 'least that's over.' Got Freelancers up to 15 and swapped back to what I was before to continue leveling up and my monk and arcanist (I think, funny top hat) just die in one shot to everything even though I thought I had them in up to date equipment. Enemies aren't flashing red but I feel so insanely weak :/

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
i've been wondering, do beastmaster monster skills actually scale with your stats? because it feels like they don't.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Can I get some team building tips. Early chapter 6 and I'm just not killing things fast enough and things are starting to one shot me.

The boss of chapter 5 took me like 5 tries because she'd just go apeshit and spam nukes and when I won was just 'least that's over.' Got Freelancers up to 15 and swapped back to what I was before to continue leveling up and my monk and arcanist (I think, funny top hat) just die in one shot to everything even though I thought I had them in up to date equipment. Enemies aren't flashing red but I feel so insanely weak :/

Dunno what you're exactly up against but I presume it's the ch6 trash, so I'll recommend a trash build.

Here's an easy one.

Phantom equipped with up to date daggers / Sub swordmaster / Indiscriminate Rage/Mug/Magpie/Counter Savvy/Dual wield. Brave 4 times, activate solid stance and attack 3 times. You'll sweep most boards even if you're underleveled. Equip another character in your party with indiscriminate rage as a backup to clean up any dregs.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Having fun so far in I think chapter 1. It's definitely more Bravely Default! :v:

I really hope the story goes places that BD1 and BS went, that was really fun.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Get a tank.

Like, seriously, Shieldmaster/Vanguard with any two of the ten thousand great shields in the game (I use Moonbeam and Iceflame) and a combo of Dual Shields/No Guts, No Glory/Sub-Job BP Saver/Revenge/Fast Hands (or Maximize HP if you have Monk 15) is nigh-to-unkillable. Keep the rest of your team in critical HP and watch your tank sing. Bonus? They're a BP battery since every time they cover someone (including magic), they get MP and BP which they can feed with Gift of Wisdom/Courage. AND they'll block the self-targeting of your Arcanist.

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!
Fun fact: Elemental Supplement adds its element to magic attacks.

Fun fact two: If a target is weak to an element of an attack, it overrides immunities, absorption etc. of any of the other elements of said attack. (This might need more testing, specifically for absorption, but it definitely tracks at least for half-damage and immunities).

So black mage is pretty much pointless and oracle is a really good companion for red mage. (Not sure if red mage/phantom or red mage/oracle (both with Sub-Job Specialty 1) is the better combination yet... also not sure how Triplara stacks up against Disaster or the level 13 and 14 red mage spells. This is where Bravely Second's intricate detailing of how its skills work would be nice...!).

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The Salve-Maker boss was a stupid rear end in a top hat but I somehow managed to limp my way through. Really taking the absurdity of counters up to 11.

Does that boss’s big annoying counter attack count as physical? If so, I guess I’m gonna level up all my characters in Archer...

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Inflammatory posted:

i've been wondering, do beastmaster monster skills actually scale with your stats? because it feels like they don't.

No they do not. And only monsters with non-set damage/heal amounts benefit from Off the Chain. IE: An undine healing 900 with White Wind still only heals 900 hp even if you burn extra BP, and a monster that gives a 50% crit buff is giving 50% regardless of being released or unchained.

Shingouryu
Feb 15, 2012
I just beat the (chapter 4 spoilers) shadow/ninja asterisk boss and am very proud of myself. My team was -

Seth - Shieldmaster/Dragoon
Gloria - Spiritmaster/White Mage
Elvis - Oracle/Pictomancer
Adelle - Swordmaster/Berserker

I quickly found out that neither of my physical attackers could hit her reliably, and Oracle wasn't leveled very much on Elvis since I went to this boss first. I was about to reset and switch around my jobs until I decided to try out reprisal with shieldmaster, and to my delight I found the 50% return damage the enemy takes is undodgable.

So I kept my other three party members in critical so Seth would cover them, and the boss slowly killed themselves with reprisal damage. They almost killed Seth by getting a bunch of crits with a 3x brave, but I pulled through and felt super smart :)

This is why I love the Bravely series.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
Does beast master 'raw power' and 'brute force' stack? I kind of want to put both on my burst danger dealer, but really don't want to give up rare talent if I don't have to...

Edit: non scientific testing says yes; tough decisions to be made.

PageMaster fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Mar 11, 2021

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Vanguard is really cool in this. I didn’t expect the obligatory early-game Knight job to be a standout but the fact that there’s a literal Chance To Be Targeted stat makes tanks surprisingly viable. That their Mastery Specialty actually adds that stat to damage calcs is bonkers as well.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
tanks in this game are Extremely Good. there are A Lot of good tanking abilities. you can spec a tank to do damage on the side, do various incredibly good and useful support abilities, or just be a 12 ton bag of poo poo your enemies can't beat through. your tank can be so strong that your healer will have half of their turns free, giving you the option to put the best healing class (salvemaker) on some of its powerful damage bullshit as well.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

Shingouryu posted:

I just beat the (chapter 4 spoilers) shadow/ninja asterisk boss and am very proud of myself.

I just finished that fight myself. My solution wasn't as elegant as yours though. I used a dual shield Shieldmaster/Vanguard to tank hits and give BP to my attacking Vanguard/Berzerker. The attacker missed a fair amount, but when she did hit Level Strike did 7000 damage. If I did three Level Strikes a turn at least one of them would hit, often two or three. Counter-Savvy from Ranger took care of the boss's counter attacks.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

PageMaster posted:

Does beast master 'raw power' and 'brute force' stack? I kind of want to put both on my burst danger dealer, but really don't want to give up rare talent if I don't have to...

Edit: non scientific testing says yes; tough decisions to be made.

I use Brute Force (attack up by 50% when three BP used) and Dragoon's Full Force (increases damage when target all) together rather than Raw Power (each Brave buffs you by 10%) & Brute Force.

If you have a Sword of Light Bravebearer passives to give you Across the Board (single target moves hit all targets), Full Force will affect anything you do.

You could use all three together, but you start having to think about dropping something which is more important at that point, such as Epic Group-Cast (max potential damage to all targets, not divided), Critical Amp (+30% crit damage) or Surpassing Power (break damage cap).

Pair that Sword of Light with a Vengeance Phantom passives and you have passive Dual Wield, Critical Amp (stacks...) and welp. If you're a Bravebearer you're going to straight up to 3 BP after your first attack (which should be Godspeed Strike) on any multi-target fight, though they'll die when the dot ticks anyway for the most part because you're going to be hitting for around 140k - 200k per BP with appropriate stats, which is 1 hour of effort)

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

realizing I straight up skipped Salvemaker and the town you get it in. I just beat (Chapter 4 end) Adam

are there more than two optional jobs in the first part of the game?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Only 2 optional jobs. The latter of which is the one you're talking about.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Only 2 optional jobs. The latter of which is the one you're talking about.

okay, great. not sure how I missed the place given I was scouring for chests

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Thanks for the tips on dealing with the trash in chapter 6. Finished that off.

I sleptwalked through the first two phases of Nexus and just got clobbered on the final part... like 3 times. I hate that I had to just keep redoing the easy parts to try the actual tough part. Plot is still kinda ehhh but now I'm waiting for the title screen to turn into a play button.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Impermanent posted:

im sorry. i got it the first time. i think i skipped you in the RNG queue.(also i have 4x rare talent, that helps a lot!)

Funnily enough, I'm not sure that rare talent helps. It specifically makes rare drops more frequent, and the rare drops are actually the JP orbs, while the normal drops are the thing you actually want. It's super frustrating, because rare drops are so much easier to get than common drops.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

There's a post on Gamefaqs suggesting that the weapons are in the common drop slot, but with a low rate. You can't steal them either.

You can get multiple weapons per fight, but it doesn't change that some weapons are just more common.
The vanguard sword is much more common than the vanguard shield, and much more common than any of the other weapons in its fight.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Is it just me or does steal have like a 1% success rate without additional abilities/buffs to support it? I've yet to successfully steal a single thing and my main thief is at job level 7.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Even with just one rare talent I have gotten so much good poo poo from trash mobs. Too bad it sounds like it doesn't work where you need it

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Question about Shieldmaster. What's the point of reprisal? Enemies do like 5 damage a hit to them so far. I mean I'm halfway through chapter 3 and my shield master cannot take damage so reflecting half of that 14 damage back doesn't seem good.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

stev posted:

Is it just me or does steal have like a 1% success rate without additional abilities/buffs to support it? I've yet to successfully steal a single thing and my main thief is at job level 7.

It's maybe a little higher than 1%, but it's extremely low and probably by intent, to get you to play with certain passives that become available later on.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Question about Shieldmaster. What's the point of reprisal? Enemies do like 5 damage a hit to them so far. I mean I'm halfway through chapter 3 and my shield master cannot take damage so reflecting half of that 14 damage back doesn't seem good.

it's for wheedling bosses down as you use Defender of the People

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

It's maybe a little higher than 1%, but it's extremely low and probably by intent, to get you to play with certain passives that become available later on.

On the upside, shakedown is 100% steal rates and works with magpie and the double item steal passive so if you want a rare steal (or 2) from an enemy you can savescum it pretty easily, or just spam thief skills on trash to recharge your specials.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

There's a post on Gamefaqs suggesting that the weapons are in the common drop slot, but with a low rate. You can't steal them either.

You can get multiple weapons per fight, but it doesn't change that some weapons are just more common.
The vanguard sword is much more common than the vanguard shield, and much more common than any of the other weapons in its fight.

You can check the drops in the lore page. Vanguard actually has the shield as the common drop and the sword as the rare drop, and Bastion has the same setup.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Even with just one rare talent I have gotten so much good poo poo from trash mobs. Too bad it sounds like it doesn't work where you need it

It just doesn't work on some very very endgame content. Running rare talent throughout the game is a fantastic idea, and you'll get a lot of equipment, consumables, buns, and orbs randomly as you fight.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

Dirk the Average posted:

You can check the drops in the lore page. Vanguard actually has the shield as the common drop and the sword as the rare drop, and Bastion has the same setup.

Can you only get the rare or common drop and not both at once? I have 9 giant jp orbs now and no other weapon/shield drops, so does rare talent eliminate the chance of getting the 'comon' drops?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

PageMaster posted:

Can you only get the rare or common drop and not both at once? I have 9 giant jp orbs now and no other weapon/shield drops, so does rare talent eliminate the chance of getting the 'comon' drops?

Yes, a rare drop will supercede a common drop from the same mob.

Since most of the asterisk superweapons are the common drop, rare talent will supercede those with giant JP orbs.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Okay so I've just started B & D, one thing I'm not clear on fron the tutorial though - what does strengthen and weaken actually do? Everything so far seems to come from positioning so I'm not sure how card stats are involved

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

multijoe posted:

Okay so I've just started B & D, one thing I'm not clear on fron the tutorial though - what does strengthen and weaken actually do? Everything so far seems to come from positioning so I'm not sure how card stats are involved

Strengthening and weakening cards increases or decreases the number of squares they affect. You can see their new patterns in the little previews after the effect is applied.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

multijoe posted:

The effects increase or decrease the amount of squares the card contests besides the base square you play it on. Eg your card that plays on two additional squares might go down to playing on one additional square, or up to three

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

How do you tell what quests you have completed?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Fab, thanks!

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

GreenBuckanneer posted:

How do you tell what quests you have completed?

There is no completed quest log. The best you can do is the panoramic view by pressing the right stick which shows you all the quests on the map. Note that many cities has multiple maps, Savalon the second town for example has four: the town, the palace, the dungeon and the gaming hall. Also, panoramic view doesn't work on every map. Also, there are quests on the world map.

LostRook fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Mar 11, 2021

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Also some quests are only available at night!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Thanks, I hate it.