Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Gasmask posted:

Can’t believe I thought Dark Souls Remastered would be a fun nostalgic experience.

I’ve just forgotten how to do everything and it’s just as frustrating as playing for the first time was.

That sounds nostalgic as gently caress. "Haha! Oh dark souls, you got me again!" *throws controller*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

poverty goat posted:

Dishonored, DXHR, Metro: Last Light, all games that are much worse than they ought to be if you've been tricked into thinking the pacifist perk is what you should be aiming for

Actually Dishonored is a master piece either way

Hairy Right Hook
Sep 9, 2001

Hee to the ho

Tonfa posted:

If a game forces the player to use its entire toolset it gates away all but the entrenched hardcores who instinctually and instantly get what it's about. It's cool to have a more relaxed goal standard to see the progression and let all kinds of people dick around and have fun and then tools to gently caress around with and create an alternate challenge if you ever want to return to the game

Also it's just boring if the challenges are designed in a secret puzzle-like manner where I have to use exactly these skills in exactly this curated way and all the choice is an illusion

I think you're kinda talking about two different things. I think games should make players use all the tools in the toolbox with some genre-specific exceptions. But you make them scalable so you can actually beat the game without mastering the execution to frame perfection.

Like, what's the difference between Super Mario World and Kaizo? Other than the romhacks that specifically mess with mechanics, it just comes down to how the level design challenges your execution.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

JollyBoyJohn posted:

More like Master poo poo

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Ya, it's not like you have to have perfect execution of everything. But that the game puts you into a variety of situations across the entire game such that it is not possible to solve them efficiently by ignoring entire parts of the toolset. If you are skilled enough maybe you can brute force your way through using just 1 attack of 3 for example, but in a game with 3 attacks the game should be designed so that each attack is prefered at different times, then difficult enough that you can't just effortlessly ignore those times to spam 1 attack throughout.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

More like Pissnerd

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Yeah that makes a lot of sense and is more satisfying than one button wins all. Was just thinking on a different magnitude.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

JollyBoyJohn posted:

people who don't like dishonored seem dumb to me, they seem like low IQ gamers

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Caesar Saladin posted:

IQ is the French version of the hit television show QI.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I love trophies and I do a little fist pump whenever one pops

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Caesar Saladin posted:

Its just a very good and entertaining videogame that also doesn't overstay its welcome

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Caesar Saladin posted:

It's a cool aesthetic but the games are unfun and boring as hell and I have a very high IQ. Unless you are talking about my Gamer IQ which might be low idk I havent been tested

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Caesar Saladin posted:

Dishonored is for low IQ gamers because the cocks in it fart when you squeeze cock

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019

Caesar Saladin posted:

It doesn't help that it features one of the worst story telling devices in gaming being constantly shoved in your face, the emotional plight of the blankslate killing machine you're operating.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Are you people who hate on Dishonored the same fucks gushing over the badly designed and boring Yakuza games?

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Persona 5 Royal was an amazing experience. I was just watching so I took a lot of naps but I'm sure all of it held up the same. Definite 10/10.

Also I like Bethesda games just because no one really does the same thing. Outer Worlds tried to wholesale copy and it was okay. I never finished it.

But everyone says that there's better RPGs than Skyrim or Morrowind etc, and there are, but they aren't a better Elder Scrolls. I wasn't indoctrinated as a kid, I just played them and went hey I like how this plays and that was it. And nothing really does it the same. The games are buggy, ugly and often poorly written. They get dumbed down in each generation. But unless you can point me to another game that will scratch the Bethesda itch and not a general "better WRPG" itch I will always like those games.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Are you people who hate on Dishonored the same fucks gushing over the badly designed and boring Yakuza games?

No the Yakuza games are random poo poo bolted onto a semi-competent beat em up skeleton lol.

But drat them corny rear end stories and super melodrama are entertaining.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Opinion: games are a pastime and it's unnecessary to mock people for the games they like to play.

Yakuza games are clunky and boring, though. They'd be much better if they were Doom-clones.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

No the Yakuza games are random poo poo bolted onto a semi-competent beat em up skeleton lol.

But drat them corny rear end stories and super melodrama are entertaining.

What the gently caress dude! The beat em up bits are far and away the most boring bits of Yakuza games just ahead of the boring stories that people wouldn't give a poo poo about if they were presented in English.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Yakuza games are clunky and boring, though. They'd be much better if they were Doom-clones.

Ah yes the time honored romanticized genre of manly muscle men...shooting at each other with chainguns or some poo poo :wtc:

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

JollyBoyJohn posted:

No both Dishonored and Yakuza are bad games

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Tonfa posted:

Ah yes the time honored romanticized genre of manly muscle men...shooting at each other with chainguns or some poo poo :wtc:

wät

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

You understand how the game where people punch each other a lot would not work as a doom clone, right

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Tonfa posted:

You understand how the game where people punch each other a lot would not work as a doom clone, right

It would work just fine. Punching people is extremely boring. You shoot them instead, making it a Doom-clone, and it automatically turns much much better.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

fridge corn posted:

No both Dishonored and Yakuza are bad games

I gained a lot of respect for you when you forced yourself though persona 5 after losing 12 hours but that goodwill has been severely eroded!

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I gained a lot of respect for you when you forced yourself though persona 5 after losing 12 hours but that goodwill has been severely eroded!

:twisted:

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

lurker2006 posted:

It doesn't help that it features one of the worst story telling devices in gaming being constantly shoved in your face, the emotional plight of the blankslate killing machine you're operating.

It doesn't even matter, its about the individual levels and killing the bad dude in the level. The plot is barely relevant. I honestly can't fathom someone wringing their hands over the protagonist's moral plight when you're like, trying to assassinate an evil factory operator in a beautiful steampunk mansion.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I love both tbh. I like Dishonored more though. Dishonored 2 is such a beautiful engagin game.

Tonfa posted:

When I hear doom clone i don't think of a cool fps, I think of a dumbass maze game where you look for coloured keycards on levels that make no sense.

Caesar Saladin fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Mar 11, 2021

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Dishonored 2 has the best level in the series but the story didn't quite hook me like the first which is a shame because most cool guy gamers prefer the sequel

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Generally speaking, first person games are inferior to third person games

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

fridge corn posted:

:hai:

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Caesar Saladin posted:

You leave my Indy Quotient(tm) out of this!

EA Sports
Feb 10, 2007

by Azathoth
i really liked the level designs in the dishonored games but always felt the abilities they gave the player character were too much. oh i can crawl around the support beams on the ceiling to avoid detection?
well i liked to but i usually get caught and gently caress up the run... guess ill just blink around lamely.

dads_work_files
May 14, 2008

important_document.avi

Tonfa posted:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

破るて裂ける!!!

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Barudak posted:

破るて裂ける!!!

wow rude

dads_work_files
May 14, 2008

important_document.avi

Ooh, here it comes! Here comes the night train!

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

fridge corn posted:

Third person always makes the gunplay feel worse but third person gives you better situational awareness about the character's immediate area. It's a good tradeoff in a game like HITMAN

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

poverty goat posted:

Third person always makes the gunplay feel worse but third person gives you better situational awareness about the character's immediate area. It's a good tradeoff in a game like HITMAN

The trick is that Hitman isn't really meant to be a shooter. Guns are just another tool in your arsenal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

HITMAN is a puzzle game

instead of jigsaws you have murders