Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

"marbled" is a good new slang word for "stolen" imo

e: quote so people can see wtf im talking about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
oi a bazinga fancied me jpeg and marbled it mate

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

this has some very marbleworthy quotes in it David

quote:

When I buy an NFT, what do I get?

The art itself is not in the blockchain — the NFT is just a pointer to a piece of art on a website.

You’re buying the key to a crypto-token. You’re not buying anything else.

An NFT doesn’t convey copyright, usage rights, moral rights, or any other rights, unless there’s an explicit licence saying so.

It’s like a “Certificate of Authenticity” that’s in Comic Sans, and misspelt.

At absolute best, you’re buying a piece of official merchandise — one that’s just a number pointing to a website.

quote:

Without a specific contract saying otherwise, an NFT does not grant ownership of the artwork it points to in any meaningful sense. All implications otherwise are lies to get your money.

quote:

I don’t understand any of this. Please explain it like I’m five.

“Would you like to watch your favourite CBeebies show — or would you like me to write on a piece of paper that you own the show? All you get is the piece of paper.”

The trouble with explaining NFTs to a five-year-old is that you’ll have a hard time convincing a five-year-old that this nonsense isn’t the nonsense it obviously is. It sounds unfathomably stupid because it’s unfathomably stupid.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
So you're basically monetizing hyperlinks? Is that it?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

You're monetizing post-its that have a hyperlink scribbled on them.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

For an extra 20%, you can customize the color of the post-it paper or the color of the crayon used to scribble the link. Doing both would be an extra 44%, obviously

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

busalover posted:

Pretty much, except lots of people are trying to make them into collectables and they use up an immense amount of electricity

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

busalover posted:

Imagine bitcoin, pretty poo poo right?
Now imagine every single bitcoin was a different value and constantly shifting independently.
Now imagine every bitcoin pointed you to some hyperlink that really has no meaning.
Ready to buy some now?

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
Wait, the image isn't on the chain?

So if an image link goes dead the token becomes a redirection to a 404?

e: I want to turn a thousand dollars into aa million; how do I get in on these?

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Bright Bart posted:

Is it really just a link? I thought it was encrypted in the NFT?

NFT have just hit a bunch of comic art collector groups I'm on. Most people are going to stay away, buy would be helpful to be able to point this out, if it's the case.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

gninjagnome posted:

NFT have just hit a bunch of comic art collector groups I'm on. Most people are going to stay away, buy would be helpful to be able to point this out, if it's the case.

It's not stored on the blockchain, no. If they were, that'd be a good way to get tons of free art, though.
https://medium.com/pinata/who-is-responsible-for-nft-data-99fb4e8147e4

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Mar 11, 2021

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

This all sounds so stupid. On one hand, I want to understand it so I can confidently explain to people why it is stupid. On the other hand, is it worth spending time understanding the technical intricacies of each new "innovation" rather than doing something better with my time?

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

There Bias Two posted:

This all sounds so stupid. On one hand, I want to understand it so I can confidently explain to people why it is stupid. On the other hand, is it worth spending time understanding the technical intricacies of each new "innovation" rather than doing something better with my time?

I'd say it is worth understanding if either of the following applies:

- you have to bat away stupid suggestions as part of your job, so you have to understand buttcoin (because all buttcoin-related suggestions are stupid)
- you still find it funny

The "innovations" always boil down to "what if someone gave me money for doing something of absolutely no value to society" anyway

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

In a sense scams are easy in the technical space because it has three things going for it: the ability to sound impressive, "expertise" you can use to bludgeon people with, and the difficulty in fully pulling it apart. Theranos is easy to pitch: a pinprick blood test that diagnoses everything! Here's a press statement that doesn't have any actual technical details that breathlessly "explains" the tech. Look at our board with all these famous people! "But you can't test for all those various things in a single test, there's not enough reactants and not enough reagents to interact and ..." here you lose your credulous listener.

It's hard.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

That raises the question of whether you can simply swap out the image uploaded to the tokenized link.

Like, say your screenshot of Super Saiyan Vegeta isn't going up in re-sale value. Why not just upload a still of muscled Marlon Brando from A Streetcar Named Desire in its stead? Repeat until you end up with something of value.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

LOL

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

:retrogames:

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Vowels (except for "y") are anathema to Web 2.0.

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

this is going to be so much better when ethereum switches from proof-of-work to proof-of-stake

oh the ones with the most ethereum get to mine all the new coins? well its either that or melt down the planet cause crypto isnt going away

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Tiberius Christ posted:

this is going to be so much better when ethereum switches from proof-of-work to proof-of-stake

oh the ones with the most ethereum get to mine all the new coins? well its either that or melt down the planet cause crypto isnt going away

At least with proof-of-stake, if you try 51% attacks and trash your coin's value you loose everything, whereas with proof-of-work you can just switch your video cards to a different coin.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

busalover posted:

it's more like you're trying to monetize someone else's hyperlinks without paying them, without guaranteeing the link goes anywhere, and without exclusivity
also the attempt causes a redwood to be chopped down, pulped, and then burned in a way designed to be as maximally environmentally damaging as possible

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Bright Bart posted:

buy sport moment nfts or SA starts Cosbycoin back up or a new crypto dedicated to SA posts

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
city name sports team, but on the blockchain

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

gninjagnome posted:

All an NFT is is a claim by someone to own something put onto the blockchain. Sane people do not give a gently caress. You're not getting the digital or physical object or any rights to it.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Bright Bart posted:

That raises the question of whether you can simply swap out the image uploaded to the tokenized link.

Only if you actually own what the link is to. Otherwise the entity that does has total control over what is displayed there. You're paying for a link to https://www.assballs.com you're not in control of what is at https://www.assballs.com and if https://www.assballs.com gets deleted then your link goes nowhere.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Relevant Tangent posted:

All an NFT is is a claim by someone to own something put onto the blockchain. Sane people do not give a gently caress. You're not getting the digital or physical object or any rights to it.

I get that. Two artist reps entered the space, and there we a couple high profile sales of comic art, so people are talking about it. I'm just arming myself with more info to make sure people understand how stupid this is.

It not going to be hard, as people in these communities are against buying even prints of digital art, so a token makes zero sense.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
It’s going to be funny when the courts see this as a clear copyright violation and these idiots have to pay people real money and all they have is now worthless pictures and no means to pay

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

In Ethereum news, in July they're implementing EIP-1559 which will reduce transfer fees and make mining far less profitable. Miners are pissed at losing the income and are retaliating by creating a mock hostage situation. They're pooling all their hashpower in one place to show that they could theoretically accomplish a 51% attack on Ethereum.
https://twitter.com/Cointelegraph/status/1369865801386266626?s=20

Glad to see everyone is re-reading Dune.

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

Current gas price for ethereum is about $130, thats just to mint a new NFT contract, I can see this being useful for actual artwork not the heaps of slag their loading onto the block chain right now

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Just a simple coin transfer with no smart contract stuff attached is $15 in gas.

Ethereum REALLY needs to get their 2.0 version off the ground if they want people to actually use it.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Hillary 2020 posted:

https://twitter.com/WSJ/status/1369471830466117634?s=20

Wall street types will be drooling like Pavlov's dogs

What an incredible journalistic failure this headline is. A whole lotta 50 and 60 year olds are gonna see this headline and (not unreasonably!) assume that "buying LeBron highlights" means buying rights to highlights rather than electronic pogs with the description of a Lebron highlight stamped on it and nothing else, why would anyone assume that, it cannot possibly be that dumb, I must be explaining it wrong

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

So NFTs are literally just the "I've got a bridge to sell you" scam + blockchain?

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

The Moon Monster posted:

So NFTs are literally just the "I've got a bridge to sell you" scam + blockchain?

It reminds me of the scams Gregor McGregor ran but with less people dying in swamps.

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

https://opensea.io/assets/0x495f947...794564172808193

Which goon's cyber punk'd avatar is this?

Scam Likely fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Mar 11, 2021

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

The Moon Monster posted:

yes for now, but when Musk finally gets Mars converted into a planet wide cryptofarm he'll have all the data and own all the assets

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the stupidity.

Where is the $ in this? With BTC there is the potential to use the BTC to buy something. It's just potential, but it could theoretically happen.

With NFTs? Is it just buy one and then try to sell it to someone else for more? You don't get royalties for holding it. It doesn't actually do anything. So why? Just in the hopes you can hot potato it on to someone else?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Waltzing Along posted:

Where is the $ in this? With BTC there is the potential to use the BTC to buy something. It's just potential, but it could theoretically happen.

With NFTs? Is it just buy one and then try to sell it to someone else for more? You don't get royalties for holding it. It doesn't actually do anything. So why? Just in the hopes you can hot potato it on to someone else?

Rich people have lots of money and nothing to spend it on for a year, plus Tether is regularly injecting tons of extra money and inflating the value of all of the assets

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Waltzing Along posted:

Ostensibly, they want to own it for themselves (see the guy a few pages back reminiscing about how much he wants to own one of Musk's tweets), but it's really just speculative turtles all the way down.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

The Moon Monster posted:

I'm not sure that the people buying this even care about the bridge. They just want to turn their cash into a fancy new asset.

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

It’s going to be funny when the courts see this as a clear copyright violation and these idiots have to pay people real money and all they have is now worthless pictures and no means to pay

The much better outcome is that the courts don't see it as a copyright violation because these stupid things don't actually convey any interest in the copyrighted material. If they were copyright violations, then that would mean the "legitimate" NFTs actually have some type of value as property beyond a title to a number on the blockchain ledger.

Flip Yr Wig fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Mar 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Waltzing Along posted:

I'm pretty sure the intended use case is that you do in fact own the item and can collect royalties on it.

The problem is that anyone can make a token saying they own something, and the only mechanisms to prove ownership require centralization and defeat the entire purpose of the coin.

For example, when it comes to tweets, they can be minted by logging into a third party website using that twitter account, which proves ownership of the tweet. So it all relies on that third company, and they make a profit, which tells you where the motivation came from. That company also controls the abuse and copyright mechanisms, which in this case is to ignore them.