Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Kilometers Davis posted:

Aloy is my favorite first party character probably, she owns. I loved the story of Horizon in general.

Anyway, guess who beat the Bell Gargoyles at like 10 am in the morning with nothing but my got dang self? That felt real nice. I think I get it. I’m laughing more, getting pummeled in one hit isn’t feeling as frustrating. I’m starting to listen to the game a lot better and work in the systems it gives me. Me and my generic rear end longsword are building quite the relationship!

Awwwwwwww yeaaahhhhhh :D

I went handaxe all the way up to +10 until the ... Bloodborne Boyz? I might have to come up with a new name for the goons who watch and help....took me to blighttown to get me the great club. After that I put away my shield and twohanded a club from here till the end!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

exquisite tea posted:

If you often find yourself complaining about how all games these days are about Number Go Up then Horizon should be pablum to you (because all the quest rewards are worthless).

Idk if these people exist, Sekiro in general and the weird criticisms of Horizon’s combat that I’ve seen people bring up make me think that people might complain about it but they actually really love seeing numbers go up. That, or it’s usually the sort of ‘git gud’ people who don’t follow their own mantra.

VideoGames posted:

Awwwwwwww yeaaahhhhhh :D

I went handaxe all the way up to +10 until the ... Bloodborne Boyz? I might have to come up with a new name for the goons who watch and help....took me to blighttown to get me the great club. After that I put away my shield and twohanded a club from here till the end!!

Anyone in the PS4 thread who’s obsessed with From by default is in da Bloodborne Boyz, and 95% of the time Bloodborne is probably their favorite soulsborne game anyways.

imhotep fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Mar 11, 2021

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Number Go Up is good and people who can't admit that to themselves are intellectual cowards. There are many ways to make a number increase, all of them good.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Kilometers Davis posted:

Me and my generic rear end longsword are building quite the relationship!
The generic rear end longsword is actually a pretty drat good weapon! If you upgrade it fully, you can stick with sword you started with all game long and do just fine.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Kilometers Davis posted:

Aloy is my favorite first party character probably, she owns. I loved the story of Horizon in general.

Anyway, guess who beat the Bell Gargoyles at like 10 am in the morning with nothing but my got dang self? That felt real nice. I think I get it. I’m laughing more, getting pummeled in one hit isn’t feeling as frustrating. I’m starting to listen to the game a lot better and work in the systems it gives me. Me and my generic rear end longsword are building quite the relationship!

Nice! Yeah I think the DS1 bosses all have that great feeling of "ok I lost but if I do this, this, and this differently I think I can beat this."

The Bell Gargoyles specifically ease you into positioning, capitalizing on openings, and not just spamming dodge roll like crazy (because you'll throw yourself off the freakin' roof like a moron)

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Numbers Go Up is good but I don't care so much when the number going up is a percentage because it seems more opaque to me

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Nobody likes spending an ability point and getting nothing but +5% to Walking Silently out of it. What does that even do?

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
The number getting bigger isn't enough there needs to be Good gamefeel too.

Diablo? Oozing with gamefeel.

Borderlands? Not enough gamefeel

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

exquisite tea posted:

Number Go Up is good and people who can't admit that to themselves are intellectual cowards. There are many ways to make a number increase, all of them good.

I love number go up. It's one of my favourite things in video games. I stopped playing fallout new vegas just as I got to new Vegas cuz I spent so much time doing everything else to make number go up that I hit the level cap and couldn't make number go up any higher :(

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
You are thinking about number wrong, you actually want number go down

It takes 5 arrows to kill this guy

It takes 5 4 arrows to kill this guy

Number go DOWN! Idiot!

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
HZD is an amazing game with an amazing story that is told by playing through the pretty good story told while you play as an amazingly cool character. And it has a great DLC.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

HZD feels best when you’re reading things apart.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I don't even know if I would've minded the loot/crafting if it wasn't there at all in HZD, like if you just got fixed XP or something, it's just prevalent enough to be annoying. Even just making it cosmetic and littering it everywhere would've been fine; finishing the hunting lodge quest and get a cool hunter headdress and bow skin. Find all the coffee cups for the one guy and you get a funny mug-themed cloak or something. Finish all the underground future base areas and get a glowy bow or something. It all just seems so...obvious and almost there with stuff like the power armor and the villain armor you get an hour before the game ends.

It's probably the only good game I can think of where I can still say that the Witcher 3 has a better loot and crafting system, and those are the two worst things about the Witcher 3.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
the mods give you an extrinsic, if fairly flimsy reason to continue monster hunting

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
If you're looking to get back into DS2, go to the wikidot, peruse the lists of weapons and spells, pick out three regular weapons, a twinkling weapon, and a boss soul weapon that you're interested in and can be gotten before the Shrine of Winter, plus any spells in the school of your choice (even just one attunement slot for Toxic Mist is great), plot out the fastest way to get all of them, then add on another three regulars, a twinkling, and a boss soul from after the Shrine. Making builds and putting the pieces in place is the best part of the game.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
number go up good = borderlands
the numbers popping out are bigger and bigger and divorced entirely from context

number go up bad = hzd
no numbers popping out and no real way of measuring your effectiveness from contextual clues

number go up mouthfeel = dibbo
mouthfeel mouthfeel mouthfeel

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

if i see numbers in a game i turn it off, that's a shoot.
if i wanted to do maths, i'd take out my calculator!!!

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Wolfsheim posted:

I don't even know if I would've minded the loot/crafting if it wasn't there at all in HZD, like if you just got fixed XP or something, it's just prevalent enough to be annoying. Even just making it cosmetic and littering it everywhere would've been fine; finishing the hunting lodge quest and get a cool hunter headdress and bow skin. Find all the coffee cups for the one guy and you get a funny mug-themed cloak or something. Finish all the underground future base areas and get a glowy bow or something. It all just seems so...obvious and almost there with stuff like the power armor and the villain armor you get an hour before the game ends.

It's probably the only good game I can think of where I can still say that the Witcher 3 has a better loot and crafting system, and those are the two worst things about the Witcher 3.

i'm not very far into hzd but yeah the thing that turns me off the most is the whole crafting and loot thing. i'm predisposed to not like those because i just have very little interest in crafting in general, but in hzd it feels especially like an unnecessary layer of complication that periodically requires you to engage with it whether you like it or not. maybe it'll click with me later though

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Control still takes the cake for most tacked on crafting system but at least you can ignore it for the most part.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Weedle posted:

i'm not very far into hzd but yeah the thing that turns me off the most is the whole crafting and loot thing. i'm predisposed to not like those because i just have very little interest in crafting in general, but in hzd it feels especially like an unnecessary layer of complication that periodically requires you to engage with it whether you like it or not. maybe it'll click with me later though

i hate crafting in games with a passion, like legitimately it's my least favourite activity to do in games ever. HZD, you can definitely look past it after a while. The game is really excellent and I usually don't like open-world games at all, like I find the AssCreed games really boring. Stick with it for a bit longer.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

PantsBandit posted:

Control still takes the cake for most tacked on crafting system but at least you can ignore it for the most part.

A good rule of thumb is that if you're making a game about a sassy hyper-capable redhead who inadvertently stumbles upon an unseen world of secrets and saves civilization in the process to just please avoid putting crafting in it altogether

Handsome Wife
Feb 17, 2001

I saw a talk by one of the designers on HZD and he basically said "yeah, we hosed up with the economy, our bad. It was way too complicated and it was way too late to fix it by the time we realized it." So at least they shouldn't make the same mistake again.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums
Looting and crafting is over done IMO.

Tired of sorting through piles of vendor trash or having to punch 50 trees to get +number on a boot.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

PantsBandit posted:

Yeah it's so weird. For 99% of the game you can't even craft anything that's better than what you've been finding.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Quantum of Phallus posted:

i hate crafting in games with a passion, like legitimately it's my least favourite activity to do in games ever. HZD, you can definitely look past it after a while. The game is really excellent and I usually don't like open-world games at all, like I find the AssCreed games really boring. Stick with it for a bit longer.

i definitely intend to keep at it. by “not very far” i mean that for me it’s still a game about a tribal hunter-gatherer lady who lives in the woods and hunts wild robots with a bluetooth earpiece, and i understand there is a lot more going on than that

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
I think Plague Tale's crafting system was also notably unnecessary

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I haven't posted much about Bloodborne since I beat Vicar Amelia but I smashed my face against Orphan of Kos over and over last night; he'll be mine next time.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Chin Strap posted:

I think Plague Tale's crafting system was also notably unnecessary
Plague Tale's central premise heavily revolves around medieval alchemy and mysticism, so crafting reagents and alchemical concoctions is very thematically in-tune with the story it tells.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Good news (for now) regarding console releases of Disco Elysium:

https://www.reddit.com/r/DiscoElysi...utm_term=lxgdej

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The best crafting system is DQXI because it's a fun little minigame

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Read After Burning posted:

Good news (for now) regarding console releases of Disco Elysium:

https://www.reddit.com/r/DiscoElysi...utm_term=lxgdej

Yessss

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

exquisite tea posted:

Horizon is not a very loot-oriented game. Gear is maybe 20% of your overall effectiveness in a combat system that's 20% execution and the remaining 60% knowledge. You get all the tools you need relatively early, and from there the game is about how well you can identify exploit the machines' weaknesses. If you're complaining that it's taking too long to kill a Stormbird, chances are it has very little to do with your gear and everything to do with knowing the right strategy. And the great thing about the game is that every machine has at least 2-3 effective strategies for taking them down. I've gone up and down the map with blue tier gear on Ultra Hard and can still easily beat all the elites. If you often find yourself complaining about how all games these days are about Number Go Up then Horizon should be panacea to you (because all the quest rewards are worthless).

Where's the percentage for concentrated power of will...

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

The only percentages to know are 50% Slam and 100% Reason to Remember the Jam.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

Cardiovorax posted:

Plague Tale's central premise heavily revolves around medieval alchemy and mysticism, so crafting reagents and alchemical concoctions is very thematically in-tune with the story it tells.

I was thinking the permanent upgrades not the consumables.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

A Plague Tale is surprisingly stingy about upgrades, it's super unlikely you'll unlock much more than half of them unless you're looking really thoroughly.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It needs crafting to fulfill its purpose of being The Medieval Last Of Us

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

I feel like I should replay HZD because I trudged through in the first time when I first picked up my PS4 and just hated the combat. I had never played anything with that weighty feel to it and it felt very unnatural. The story was blah as hell to me and I never really liked any of the characters so that didn't help, but it might be worth it to go back and try the game play loop now that I'm more comfortable with other games that have a similar feel.

Or it won't click because I find the weirdest games to completely fall in love with and HZD just wasn't one of them. :(

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Chin Strap posted:

I was thinking the permanent upgrades not the consumables.
Ah, alright then. Yeah, those were a bit superfluous. They could've just handed you the upgrades between chapters and still been able to have the same progression towards larger groups of enemies with more complex patrol patterns.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

haveblue posted:

It needs crafting to fulfill its purpose of being The Medieval Last Of Us

I guess that makes Hood: Legends and Outlaws medieval TLOU Factions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Atelier has the best crafting system