Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
note that while 3080s are generally being made some of the cheap non-OC models seem to be like 5 cards per month worldwide

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
Very interesting video about NVIDIA driver overhead causing CPU bottlenecking from Australian Steve.

Quick snippet from the video:

Edit: in DX12 and Vulkan, it should be said. It's kind of an amusing turnaround from DX11 and earlier, where it seemed like AMD always had the larger driver overhead

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
looks like AMD drivers are actually good, huh? :smugdon:

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
nvidia drivers have been pretty loving crap for a long while now to be honest, I am still stuck on 457.51 from last year as a 1080ti user because any driver release after that has problems with half of my games (such as black texture flickering) or youtube and other media sites not working properly or smoothly in chrome. They seem to have given up on getting Pascal to work properly these days.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

HalloKitty posted:

Very interesting video about NVIDIA driver overhead causing CPU bottlenecking from Australian Steve.

Quick snippet from the video:

Edit: in DX12 and Vulkan, it should be said. It's kind of an amusing turnaround from DX11 and earlier, where it seemed like AMD always had the larger driver overhead
I remember people showing this a while ago (like around Zen+), interesting how little interest there was in following up on it. Maybe because AMD didn't have any competitive GPUs to make an AMD CPU+GPU option more than a theoretical argument.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Nvidia‘a issued a surprising number of driver hotfixes over the past year

Their deep learning facing library support has been quite iffy recently with ampere support still patchy

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

I hope there is a reasonable supply of 6700s when they launch in a week. At least for me to snag one online somehow. That said, I'm sure as poo poo not holding my breath.

Zig-Zag
Aug 29, 2007

Why don't we just start shooting tar heroin instead?

my kinda ape posted:

Finally snagged a Zotac 3080 :unsmith:

I was so close to a 3070. Was filling out the checkout form when their whole website crashed last night.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

shrike82 posted:

Nvidia‘a issued a surprising number of driver hotfixes over the past year

Their deep learning facing library support has been quite iffy recently with ampere support still patchy
Which is also extra weird for 2021, because there haven't really been a whole of must-have AAA titles they needed to get the patches out for.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!

orange juche posted:

3060s aren't quick. I think the desktop version got a review of "well, it's a GPU, we guess"

orange juche posted:

It's a laptop. Laptop cooling capabilities mean that the cpu and gpu have to fit inside about 75w. They allocate about 35w to the cpu and the rest to the GPU.

There is more going on here - the 3000 series mobile cards the power/thermals are being left up to the manufacturer. What this poster is saying is that there are RTX 3070 laptops that are outperformed by RTX 3060 laptops due to the thermal and power configurations.

Buying an "RTX 3070" laptop does not guarantee you a specific level of performance. It's very unfriendly and very difficult to be sure of exactly what you're getting right now.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

nvidia drivers have been pretty loving crap for a long while now to be honest, I am still stuck on 457.51 from last year as a 1080ti user because any driver release after that has problems with half of my games (such as black texture flickering) or youtube and other media sites not working properly or smoothly in chrome. They seem to have given up on getting Pascal to work properly these days.

I have a 1070 and I primary Chrome every day and I don't have issues. Watch a ton of YouTube and similar media. Driver issues sometimes happen to some of the people and not every one of the people every time. The new driver gives me far fewer problems with HAGS enabled, as well.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Zig-Zag posted:

I was so close to a 3070. Was filling out the checkout form when their whole website crashed last night.

Their website does that every time a drop gets posted to the stock tracking Discords. The trick is to open like 10+ tabs and just keep refreshing. If a tab doesn't go through to where you want within like 15 seconds then refresh it or close it and open the link again.

Very first thing open up like 5-10 tabs to get through the Cloudflare browser check, once one gets through to the Zotac store you're good to go. You have to first get through to the log in page and then successfully log in, then you have to put the card you want in your cart successfully. (You can put the card in the cart before logging in if you want.) Then you have to open the Paypal express checkout page over and over (make sure this is set up already if you don't already use Paypal express) until it opens and then you have to select a payment method and click continue on that page. It will try to process but if it doesn't go through within 15-30 seconds it's not going to go through so you want to open this page as many times as you can just like all of the previous pages. Eventually you'll get one to go through and you have to go to the Paypal express review page over and over until you get it to load. Then you select your shipping method and it will try to think for a bit and again will probably not successfully load most of the time so keep opening the page in different tabs and do it over and over until it lets you click submit at the bottom. This will then try to push the order through and is the final hurdle. Once again keep trying over and over in different tabs and you probably want to keep your email client open so you can see if you get an email from Paypal/Zotac. If you get an email then it actually worked!

This entire process is extremely aggravating and insane but it does work and sure beats camping out at Microcenter for 3 hours only to find out you were the 80th person in line for 11 cards. Because their website is so lovely the drops last a surprisingly long time before things go out of stock. They're dropping like 50-100 cards at once and it'll be 20 minutes before they're all gone.

I cannot stress enough that the trick is to be opening 10+ tabs of whatever step you are currently on and if a tab doesn't successfully go to the page within 15 seconds then just refresh it. You're going to get through on each step maybe 5% of the time. Keep hammering at it.

Steps:
1 https://www.zotacstore.com/us/customer/account/login/
2 https://www.zotacstore.com/us/graphics-cards/geforce-rtx-30-series
3 https://store.zotac.com/paypal/express/start/
4 https://store.zotac.com/paypal/express/review/

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
office depot had a ton of rx580s today
https://www.officedepot.com/a/products/5198852/XFX-AMD-Radeon-RX-580-Graphic/
surely these cant be new stock right? Where are these old gpus coming from?

they were about 150 i hear which is a decent price for the perf for gamers and others

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Mar 11, 2021

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

If I had to guess I'd say someone was sent to search warehouses for unsold stock from previous card generations just so they'd have something to sell. And then they sell out immediately because "literally anything from the last 7 years except the 1030" is the standard we're working with.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Fauxtool posted:

they were about 150 i hear which is a decent price for the perf for gamers and others

Brand new, that would've been a deal even pre-covid, pretty sure.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

They were $220 before tax. The original MSRP I believe, and now about half of what they go for on eBay/Facebook it seems.

I bought two

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Craptacular! posted:

I have a 1070 and I primary Chrome every day and I don't have issues. Watch a ton of YouTube and similar media. Driver issues sometimes happen to some of the people and not every one of the people every time. The new driver gives me far fewer problems with HAGS enabled, as well.

1070 here too and the only driver issue I've ever had is the one introduced fairly recently where some textures flicker in WoW.

edit: do you think it will be possible to get a 3080 close to or at MSRP in 2021 at all?

because I am honestly starting to doubt

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

App13 posted:

They were $220 before tax. The original MSRP I believe, and now about half of what they go for on eBay/Facebook it seems.

I bought two

i probably would have bought 10 if i caught it. Its a steal at original msrp and just an all around great gpu. Low power, good 1080p performance, quiet. The 2 i bought back at launch are still going strong in family member PCs. The "fine wine" ended up being pretty true

Mr. Neutron posted:

edit: do you think it will be possible to get a 3080 close to or at MSRP in 2021 at all?

yes but it wont be the msrp you want. This wasnt the last price increase of the year

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Mar 11, 2021

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Fauxtool posted:

i probably would have bought 10 if i caught it. Its a steal at original msrp and just an all around great gpu. Low power, good 1080p performance, quiet. The 2 i bought back at launch are still going strong in family member PCs. The "fine wine" ended up being pretty true

Was a little nervous of getting orders cancelled if I went too HAM, but I did scour the page and didn’t see any “minimum per household” disclaimers so we’ll see! I’m just hoping they actually ship out

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Scalping chat, oh yeah this is way better then cyptochat.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Just keep saving up your money and wait till next year - then get a super card. Patience will pay off I am sure.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

spunkshui posted:

its almost as good as backseat modding.

Vintersorg posted:

Just keep saving up your money and wait till next year - then get a super card. Patience will pay off I am sure.

we know supers are coming but have there been any confirmations yet?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Mr. Neutron posted:

because I am honestly starting to doubt

my honest answer is something like "everyone knew MSRP was a joke when it was announced". the partners howled, it became the core selling feature (understandably!) and hey, it flew off the shelves. when i was hunting i added +100 local currency to the FE's price point as being the real floor. in hindsight it is crazy this strategy worked, in hindsight i'd probably guess that at FE +200.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

spunkshui posted:

If it makes you feel any better, one is for me and the other is my roommate. So unless you consider MSRP + a pre-roll J as scalping, I’m in the clear :angel:

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Fauxtool posted:

we know supers are coming but have there been any confirmations yet?

Since the various pre-launch rumors, 90% of which turned out to be bunk, I haven’t seen much mention of Supers. At this point, if I was Nvidia, I would hold off on launching basically anything, and I think the rumored cancellations of the 16gb 3070 and 20gb 3080 might point to that.

With the possible exception of filling out the rest of the stack with 3050s.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Fauxtool posted:

its almost as good as backseat modding.

Hey man im for crypto chat, so I can call it terrible in more places.

App13 posted:

If it makes you feel any better, one is for me and the other is my roommate. So unless you consider MSRP + a pre-roll J as scalping, I’m in the clear :angel:

It does! that's cool and good.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
I'm curious how GeForce Now, Stadia, and Cloud GPU ML has also played into the shortage. Do we know if Google and Amazon are buying up 3090s as well, or Nvidia holds some back for their own streaming service?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I doubt Google is spending any money on Stadia at all any more.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
We all knew cloud gaming believers were fools. Little did we know, we were also fools for believing that a GPU was a product you could actually buy.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Nybble posted:

I'm curious how GeForce Now, Stadia, and Cloud GPU ML has also played into the shortage. Do we know if Google and Amazon are buying up 3090s as well, or Nvidia holds some back for their own streaming service?

I don't think Geforce Now is using Ampere yet, its still on 12nm Turing (basically 2080 Ti silicon) I believe. Stadia uses custom AMD parts.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Amazon's cloud gaming thing uses Turing cards as well

https://www.tomshardware.com/uk/news/amazon-luna-streaming-nvidia-t4

Very expensive Turing cards meant for ML, I guess the plan is that if the cloud gaming thing doesn't work out they can repurpose the fleet for AWS ML nodes

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Nybble posted:

I kind of assumed those services were not rendered on commercial end user cards, but rather larger server based modules like the huge 48gb things.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

AirRaid posted:

I kind of assumed those services were not rendered on commercial end user cards, but rather larger server based modules like the huge 48gb things.

More importantly those support multi GPU instances which lets them divy up the card into many “lesser” GPUs that can each be attached to a separate VM. https://docs.nvidia.com/grid/latest/grid-vgpu-user-guide/index.html

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf
After 174 days of waiting, EVGA finally sent out the notice that I could purchase a 3080 from them. So I did.

I'm not a huge fan of EVGA, but hopefully the 3rd time is the charm, and it won't be defective. I'm just glad I didn't end up paying lovely scalper taxes.

So if you're on the waiting list you might want to check your inbox. I registered for the notification Sept 18, 8:40 AM PT.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

For those that forgot when this shitshow started it appears that it’s taken EVGA half a year to get through the first day of sign-ups (cards launched on the 17th). :lol:

Just checked my notifications and I signed up on the 20th.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Everyone was whining they just wanted to get in line, well, this is the downside to lines. And that's with the fact that notifications were a line at all turning out to be a surprise - in the future scalpers can use bots and register all the places in line and it will be even longer.

February was a bit of a downturn because of the Chinese New Year but November, January, and February, NVIDIA was moving cards, even with miners sucking up a bunch of them in January and February 3080 alone is up to 0.77% marketshare now. Lines have their own downsides too, and this is one of them, it's not "get in line and you get a card in november", it's "get in line and it could be 6-12 months".

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Mar 11, 2021

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

My original dates, no emails yet.

code:
10G-P5-3885-KR	10/23/2020 7:22:17 PM PT	No	
10G-P5-3883-KR	10/23/2020 7:22:12 PM PT	No	
10G-P5-3881-KR	9/16/2020 9:46:51 PM PT	No
:smith:

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf
i'm happy to take an eventually sure thing, at an acceptable price, as opposed to playing the lottery with trying to score one off of best buy or paying a scalper tax.

E: Incidentally, what are used 1080Tis going for these days?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

My original dates, no emails yet.

code:
10G-P5-3885-KR	10/23/2020 7:22:17 PM PT	No	
10G-P5-3883-KR	10/23/2020 7:22:12 PM PT	No	
10G-P5-3881-KR	9/16/2020 9:46:51 PM PT	No
:smith:

oh it looks almost like mine

code:
10G-P5-3885-KR	10/5/2020 7:58:00 PM PT	No	
10G-P5-3883-KR	10/5/2020 7:57:52 PM PT	No	
10G-P5-3881-KR	9/17/2020 9:02:26 AM PT	No
signed up for the one i wanted right at the beginning, then the other ones when they announced the queue. stupid me, though, what kind of moron assumes that when a company puts a product on their website for sale they are actually gonna start manufacturing it sometime in the next six months? lmao dumbass.

according to the reddit tracker the last 3881 went out shortly before christmas.

Paul MaudDib posted:

Lines have their own downsides too, and this is one of them, it's not "get in line and you get a card in november", it's "get in line and it could be 6-12 months".

technically true but that isn't really a reasonable assumption. the kinds of products that have year-long waiting lists are like -- cars. not computer parts. nobody got into this thinking "oh well i might have to wait until next september to get my card, seems like everything is working fine"

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Mar 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

E: Incidentally, what are used 1080Tis going for these days?

so much money, like up to 600 on ebay