Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Aramoro posted:

Beyond the Sun is in Alpha on BGA now, I had not played it before but it seems pretty neat. There's a lot going on by the systems all seem to work nicely, give you plenty of options. Worker placement, but you only have 1 worker.

Oh hell yeah. This game is one of my biggest victims of quarantine. Getting it on BGA would be great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

john company 2e kickstarter pops off at the end of the month. to hear from wehrle it's going to be much more of a redesign of the game in the spirit of pax pamir 2e rather than a touch up of the original, focusing on smoothing out some of the random swingyness of the stability system with India and creating a more thematic atmosphere. p interested in seeing more details over the month

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
The eggs are everyone's favorite part.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Buck Wildman posted:

john company 2e kickstarter pops off at the end of the month. to hear from wehrle it's going to be much more of a redesign of the game in the spirit of pax pamir 2e rather than a touch up of the original, focusing on smoothing out some of the random swingyness of the stability system with India and creating a more thematic atmosphere. p interested in seeing more details over the month

Plebty of info and vids of play testing, and actual play testing on tts in his discord server if you can't wait.

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...

Aramoro posted:

Beyond the Sun is in Alpha on BGA now, I had not played it before but it seems pretty neat. There's a lot going on by the systems all seem to work nicely, give you plenty of options. Worker placement, but you only have 1 worker.

Is there a way to get in on alpha testing?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

theroachman posted:

Is there a way to get in on alpha testing?

Play poo poo loads of games and become a reviewer or get a reviewer to invite you to a game.

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

I see, thanks!

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

theroachman posted:

I see, thanks!

I 'think' it was something like 500 games of 40 different games and have a perfect reputation. Normally would have been hard if we hadn't been confined to the house for a year.

Some good games in Alpha just now, CHEX, Beyond the Sun, Nidavellir, Champions of Midgard, Trick of the Rails, Railroad Ink, Lewis and Clark 2nd Ed. Hopefully they'll make Beta soon.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

On the Underground is in closed beta on Yucata. I had a chance to play it, it only needs a few small tweaks to be perfect.

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

Aramoro posted:

I 'think' it was something like 500 games of 40 different games and have a perfect reputation. Normally would have been hard if we hadn't been confined to the house for a year.

Some good games in Alpha just now, CHEX, Beyond the Sun, Nidavellir, Champions of Midgard, Trick of the Rails, Railroad Ink, Lewis and Clark 2nd Ed. Hopefully they'll make Beta soon.

They've really been pushing out games in a ridiculously high tempo. Good implementations as well. My year long premium membership is nearly running out but I'm definitely renewing.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Welp backed the Root KS at the 110 level (140 for Canadians wheee). I figure, hell, just got a new job and it's not like I'm buying a monthly bus pass anymore.

Also I must have it all.

I must.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I'm in for the base pledge. Landmarks are the thing I'm most interested in (which we'll proxy test with the watchtower figure when rules are available), then factions, then the minors which I don't think will see much play for us.

million dollar mack
Aug 20, 2006
Larson ain't getting this cow.
Played an introductory game of Eclipse 2e last night (3 rounds) which was quite enjoyable but now that someone's pointed out it's a Euro with area control I can't unsee it :< Early combat is quite punitive but I like that it's not necessarily required.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Eclipse always seemed to me to have a big element of deciding when to make your push / make your play. It all depends on the other players, but too early is a risk because it's a big setback if it goes poorly, but wait even one turn too long and you've got an uphill battle to get back in the running. I like games that make you decide when to change gears, I think it's a great gameplay element.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

million dollar mack posted:

Played an introductory game of Eclipse 2e last night (3 rounds) which was quite enjoyable but now that someone's pointed out it's a Euro with area control I can't unsee it :< Early combat is quite punitive but I like that it's not necessarily required.

I've played dozens of games of Eclipse. It's an economic euro with a combat layer on it. It's great.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
"Euro" is just boardgame for "good".

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Re: JoCo 2e. Here is a teach from Cole of the current rules.

https://twitch.tv/videos/944843316

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I come to you in search of knowledge. Is there a thread consensus on the best "dudes on a map" gamees? I have the new version of Kemet coming, but I didn't know if there were others I should be taking a look at. It would be nice to have something that scratched that tabletop wargame itch but was self contained and doesn't result in selling my house to Games Workshop.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Funzo posted:

I come to you in search of knowledge. Is there a thread consensus on the best "dudes on a map" gamees? I have the new version of Kemet coming, but I didn't know if there were others I should be taking a look at. It would be nice to have something that scratched that tabletop wargame itch but was self contained and doesn't result in selling my house to Games Workshop.

There isn't a thread consensus on which way is up. But Kemet is well regarded, at least. I'll hold out for Cthulhu Wars as the best asymmetric DOAM, although you'll have to settle for Duel if you want the game but not sell your house to Sandy Petersen instead of GW.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Funzo posted:

Command and Colors: Ancients is good. Inis is good. Seconding Cthulhu Wars which is great but expensive.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
I sense that this question is going to end up costing me money. I already am missing two of the suggestions.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26Y-in2w6Rc&t=675s

Where Quinns calls out Zman for presenting Paleolithic people as white. One would think this would not happen in 2021 but there are still brain dead publishers out there who forego representation for expectation/white supremacy.

So then the question is if I or another person should make a thread about this failure? Would it do any good?

Mayveena fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Mar 11, 2021

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Funzo posted:

I think Chaos in the Old World and Forbidden Stars were well received, and might synergize with your other interests if you have other GW stuff.

Mayveena posted:

So then the question is if I or another person should make a thread about this failure? Would it do any good?
What's wrong with discussing it in this thread?

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
Kemet is my pick for best DOAM. Cthulhu Wars was cool, but best played digitally as it can actually be played and stored on TTS for less than a grand. Root gets a lot of love as well. I doubt you would need more than Kemet and Root tbh. There are a ton of DOAM games, so it pays to be selective.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

PerniciousKnid posted:

I think Chaos in the Old World and Forbidden Stars were well received, and might synergize with your other interests if you have other GW stuff.

What's wrong with discussing it in this thread?

The publisher is not likely to see it here. We are of course free to discuss it in this thread. The point of discussing it on BGG is to enact change in publishing board games, at least it is for me.

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013

Mayveena posted:

The publisher is not likely to see it here. We are of course free to discuss it in this thread. The point of discussing it on BGG is to enact change in publishing board games, at least it is for me.

It sounds like you answered your own question

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Forbidden Stars is excellent. I think the developer posted his first draft of an expansion somewhere too after FFG lost the 40k rights

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Duh. Sorry folks it's early here. I meant starting a thread on Boardgamegeek as I did with the Alma Mater thread. Again, apologies for not communicating better.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Mayveena posted:

Duh. Sorry folks it's early here. I meant starting a thread on Boardgamegeek as I did with the Alma Mater thread. Again, apologies for not communicating better.

:justpost:

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

That poo poo is hard on me. It's depressing sometimes to see all the moderated comments before they get moderated and just the sheer number of them. If it won't move the needle I'd rather keep my mood:)

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Someone did add it to your alma mater thread already at least.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Mayveena posted:

It was probably obvious to everyone but me, I sort of gave up on the bgg forum and forgot it exists.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Mojo Jojo posted:

Forbidden Stars is excellent. I think the developer posted his first draft of an expansion somewhere too after FFG lost the 40k rights

There a link to that discussion anywhere? Would love to see what they had planned.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

SettingSun posted:

There a link to that discussion anywhere? Would love to see what they had planned.

I'm now worried I made it up

BGG has fan rules for Tau, Dark Eldar, Tyranids and Necrons based on some designer notes but I can't find any evidence that more than notes ever existed

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Mayveena posted:

Where Quinns calls out Zman for presenting Paleolithic people as white. One would think this would not happen in 2021 but there are still brain dead publishers out there who forego representation for expectation/white supremacy.

This got posted in the comments under the video:

Thanks for the really good and professional review. As for the rules: The publisher already re-worked and published new german rules. With a second EN print, that will adapt as well. As for the represetnation of just "whites". The publisher also sees that and sees that as a true mistake. There will be a mini-expansion changing that in a few weeks and a real different humans-stack late in 2021.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Mayveena posted:

Wow. That's not even like generic swarthy caveman person art (a stereotype that I think is broadly taken for granted even though it doesn't really hold up if you give it any thought whatsoever), that's just white white.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Sinteres posted:

This got posted in the comments under the video:

Thanks for the really good and professional review. As for the rules: The publisher already re-worked and published new german rules. With a second EN print, that will adapt as well. As for the represetnation of just "whites". The publisher also sees that and sees that as a true mistake. There will be a mini-expansion changing that in a few weeks and a real different humans-stack late in 2021.

Good to hear. Looking forward to the updates. I wish they'd have done that from the start but at least they are correcting it, gotta give them some ups for that.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

For some reason I didn't even think of Root as a DOAM, but I guess it really is. I have that already, so maybe I'll just hold off until Kemet shows up.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Funzo posted:

For some reason I didn't even think of Root as a DOAM, but I guess it really is. I have that already, so maybe I'll just hold off until Kemet shows up.

Cyclades is really good too. The Matagot line of DOAM are generally top notch and all different enough to scratch different itches. Cyclades was my first so it's my favourite of the three. I like all three expansions for it too and the best part is that they're modular so you get to choose which ones you like or dislike. We once played with everything thrown in because my friend is a mad man and I hated it, so don't do that. Or do.

I got to play 1849 on the weekend. Well, most of it. We had another hour left probably before the end but dinner was ready so we called it. Really enjoyed it. It's a bit fiddlier than the other ones we've played so far but the track gauges make sense and it was interesting seeing people immediately clue in to how expensive tile lays are in that game and then respond in turn with narrow gauge. We don't play a lot of games with incremental cap either so that was a bit of a shock for some and people figured it out quickly. That said, money was tight for about 2/3 of our game and it wasn't until near the end that things got a bit looser and you could par companies high and inject shitloads of capital into them.

Overall, really liked it. My only big complaint is that there are a million goddamn green tiles and I need an organizer ASAP because laying them out/sorting was a pain and took forever. I look forward to playing it again and hopefully the guy that should have won will do better next time because he got meta-bullied out of dumping a failing company onto his spouse, something I found shameful but whatever I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Mayveena posted:

Earth Reborn is incredibly fiddly and rules heavy which is probably why you haven't played it in years :)

I kind of feel like that for all of Boelinger's games. He pushes the complexity just a couple steps too much for whatever he's making.