Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

My vehicle is full xpel ppf and ceramic coated. Maintenance is wash it with a hose. No wax, no polishing, no bullshit. Wash it, maybe hit it with some optimum no rinse if something doesnt just come right off, dry with a couple big microfibers. Looks brand new every time. Highly recommended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Ppf will take wax and sealants just fine.

Be prepared to pay 3-4 grand if you're doing the whole truck.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
3-4Gs huh? I'm in Canada, so it'll probably be more like 5-6, which I've already been preparing myself for. I should have the budget for that.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
It's important to protect your truck equity!

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

wesleywillis posted:

3-4Gs huh? I'm in Canada, so it'll probably be more like 5-6, which I've already been preparing myself for. I should have the budget for that.
I’m in Canada and I was quoted $5500 to completely wrap my new car.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

mobby_6kl posted:

It's important to protect your truck equity!

I'm 41 and if my current car is any indication, I will have this truck until somewhere in my mid 50s.
So yes.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Any recommendations for a good ceramic coat place near Seattle? I was looking online and Ceramic Pro Seattle seems highly rated but charges ~1600 dollars for their "Silver" package and nearly 2,000 for their "Gold". Is this to be expected? What's a fair price for a decent ceramic coat job?

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Digital_Jesus posted:

My vehicle is full xpel ppf and ceramic coated. Maintenance is wash it with a hose. No wax, no polishing, no bullshit. Wash it, maybe hit it with some optimum no rinse if something doesnt just come right off, dry with a couple big microfibers. Looks brand new every time. Highly recommended.

I would love to do this but yeah, I don't see how it's less than ~$5k on any car if you're doing quality PPF and then getting a professional ceramic coat on top of that. I know there are lots of DIY ceramic products but I haven't researched the quality of them. Luckily I'd be doing a small 2-door, but I can imagine the price going up a bit of bigger cars.

That maintenance routine sounds like a dream though.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Man I'm not liking the CarPro Reload process when doing it in public car washes and every minute is costing money and people are waiting. The lighting is too bad to do it as well. Thinking that I'll go back to simpler stuff until I have a garage of my own where I can wash my car taking my time to do it.
Shame that I just bought 2 bottles of the stuff...

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Ror posted:

I would love to do this but yeah, I don't see how it's less than ~$5k on any car if you're doing quality PPF and then getting a professional ceramic coat on top of that. I know there are lots of DIY ceramic products but I haven't researched the quality of them. Luckily I'd be doing a small 2-door, but I can imagine the price going up a bit of bigger cars.

That maintenance routine sounds like a dream though.

It cost me about $4.5k to wrap the entire car + ceramic yeah, but dat end result....

Digital_Jesus fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Feb 21, 2021

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

So I'm getting the sense that 1,600 - 2,000 dollars isn't out of the question

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

ADINSX posted:

So I'm getting the sense that 1,600 - 2,000 dollars isn't out of the question

I mean, for what it is I think $1500-$2000 for *just* ceramic is a ridiculous ripoff (even if that includes a professional detail prior to application, unless theyre doing serious paint correction). The PPF for mine was $4500 and they threw the ceramic on with the wrap just for having the car done. I think ceramic coats are awesome, but I wouldnt pay that kind of money for it by itself.

E: PPF will easily prevent the amount of $$ it cost in general road damage from your vehicles exterior if not more (The stang already had its hood saved by the ppf, and I guarantee the rock that tore the film would have done more than the $400 it cost to replace the ppf in paint damage.) Ceramics arent gonna stop $2000 worth of damage to your paint unless youre the kind of person that literally never thinks about detailing the exterior of their vehicle, and at that point why bother.

Digital_Jesus fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Feb 21, 2021

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

The big cost with ceramics is the prep work. The actual application is fairly simple and not too labor intensive, but as it's a semi permanent coating whatever condition the paint is before application is what's locked in.

PPF is definitely more suited for a daily, I went with partial PPF to protect the front end and ceramic all round, but it was about 2 days of paint correction to get it looking perfect before the ppf and ceramic was applied.

Ceramic is great for a weekend car that you want to have that freshly polished look with just a quick wash. It's easy mode for cleaning but yeah, other than that you're not protected from rocks or other crap causing damage.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I should probably at least do PPF on the front of my S2000. It's the opposite of a daily but still has a few paint chips from driving it. there's always a ton of debris/rocks/sand on the roads here in Colorado and it would add a bit of peace of mind.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
So I've had my 1995 miata for about 10 years, and during a series of moves, its been out side for about 3-4 years. I'm finally getting around to trying to properly clean it up. I have plenty of experience claying and waxing, but none cutting and polishing.

The above two are my hood after about 1 round of polish. Am I right in thinking that those are little pits in the clear? I feel like I should hit it with a round of cut and see if I dont burn off all my clear coat because im a big ol dummy.

Second issue I'm running into is my 95M BBS wheels. They have these white marks, as well as black chunks stuck on them. I assume the white mark is damaged clear coat? The black chunks are not really coming off with sonax, so I'm leaning into them being tar. I have turtle wax tar remover coming in the mail. Any other suggestions for how to best clean up the outer barrel? Normally I've just touched them up with car cleaner, and a microfiber and its been fine.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Sadi posted:

Second issue I'm running into is my 95M BBS wheels. They have these white marks, as well as black chunks stuck on them. I assume the white mark is damaged clear coat? The black chunks are not really coming off with sonax, so I'm leaning into them being tar. I have turtle wax tar remover coming in the mail. Any other suggestions for how to best clean up the outer barrel? Normally I've just touched them up with car cleaner, and a microfiber and its been fine.
No idea what the white stuff is, maybe try some light sanding and see if it goes away before the base coat does.

Try the tar remover first of course. I didn't have any so I just used some ceramic sink cleaner paste. It's somewhat abrasive but I didn't see any noticeable damage to the clearcoat. And realistically I'll have to repaint them completely at some point anyway due to the corrosion sneaking under the paint somehow.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
White stuff looked like aluminum corrosion to me. Are those aluminum wheels or chromed steel?

I really have no idea what wheels are made out of.

I bet a wheel repair shop could polish them smooth and put a clear coat of some sort on top, though.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Agree, white crust looks like a combo of failing clear and aluminum corrosion. I’d probably scuff it up with scotchbrite pads and hit with some fresh 2k clear, should be able to get the black gunk off with that too.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I picked up a bottle of the 303 Graphene before reading up on it. I figured I would try it on our "farm" truck. I'll update in 3 months on how it's holding up.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

Big Taint posted:

Agree, white crust looks like a combo of failing clear and aluminum corrosion. I’d probably scuff it up with scotchbrite pads and hit with some fresh 2k clear, should be able to get the black gunk off with that too.

Yeah got closer in on it last night. Hit it with tar removed, zero change. Hit it with scotch brite and it became clear that there was no clear coat, and it was raw machined aluminum with corrosion. The black stuff looks like maybe mildew growing on the corrosion, not sure. That at least simplifies my direction. The spokes are obviously painted and in excellent shape. So I just need to pull the valve stems and polish the exterior barrel. Figure Ill hit them with a light wet sand, then maybe a polish. Debating putting the rear of the car on stands and letting the motor spin the tires so that the lay of the polish marks is circumferential like from the factory. I'm also thinking future maintenance of these wheels will include wax on the barrel. I doubt that clear would adhere to raw polished aluminum.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Aluminum-specific clearcoat exists, but I have never used it. You could also try an adhesion promoter, it’s clear so you can just clear coat over it. It’s a challenge to get anything to stick to aluminum, there’s a good chance that factory finish is a powder coat and it’ll be hard to match its longetivity, you might have to resign yourself to doing a fresh coat every couple years.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
i know electric pressure washers arent as good as gas but i dont think i can justify the space and hassle of a gas PW...so whats the best brand for powering a foam cannon and occasionally cleaning my driveway off every year or two? sunjoe? karcher? prefer to keep it under 200, possibly including extended warranty.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

My Sunjoe spx3000 and matcc foam canon seem to be up to snuff.

I've had it for a couple years now and it hasn't given me any grief. My recommendation is to get an extension for the hose as the included one is a little short for going around a car, and if you want to do concrete or whatnot get a rotating nozzle, just make sure you get one that matches the lower gpm and pressure of an electric pressure washer. The one I ordered was a 1.07 mm nozzle.

E: proper care likely helps extend its life. I always drain it as much as I can and disconnect it between uses. Even with the rotating nozzle it takes forever to clean concrete as it doesn't sweep a large area. I don't think it would have enough juice for one of those large concrete cleaners where it's a pair of nozzles rotating around under a circular cover.

Bajaha fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Mar 15, 2021

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

BraveUlysses posted:

i know electric pressure washers arent as good as gas but i dont think i can justify the space and hassle of a gas PW...so whats the best brand for powering a foam cannon and occasionally cleaning my driveway off every year or two? sunjoe? karcher? prefer to keep it under 200, possibly including extended warranty.

I think Karcher makes most of the Walmart stuff and house brands. I got an armor all one I think and it is made by Karcher. Other than the hassle of an electric I haven’t had any complaints. I added some HF quick fittings for the hoses. All in all not bad for $100 something, plenty of power. Even for cleaning de k and sidewalks.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Ive had a few Karchers over the years, they have been perfectly adequate for every task, if a bit slower than a big gas one could be. Im a careless ape so a more powerful one would just lead to me ruining more stuff.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
I have the Ryobi one from Home Depot. It was passable with the included wand and hose, but after I upgraded its a joy to use.

Obsessed Garage has a whole video series comparing different brands if you want to dive in that rabbit hole.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
SunJoe electric PW for $120- 20% coupon on eBay right now

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sun-Joe-SP...6c33fee828d4f52

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Like two years ago I bought an orbital polisher and also got the foam gun along with the different accessories. It had a number of connection options and I got the Kärcher one even though I didn't have and still don't have a PW lol. So I guess that's what I'll have to get now.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
What's the current favorite product for tire dressing? I don't like shiny tires at all, and I hate the products that cause road filth to stick on the tire, but I would like to have the 'new tire' look on these PS4S's.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Carpro Pearl is one that is well regarded. 303 Aerospace protectant and Tac systems are two other that I've heard good things about. I've used the latter two, and while they work and don't attract poo poo, they don't last very long.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

I've tried about half a dozen tire dressings and found Fireball has the nicest even satin finish, but Adams VRP lasts the longest (VRP performed better than their dedicated tire dressing go figure ).

Scott H on youtube did a pretty definitive test of basically all of them and included a spreadsheet with the findings.

https://youtu.be/_PfD9YhNRE4

https://youtu.be/CkYYu8_mDU8

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1x2T293AQeqOV2Iju8LqltcedUBuyc-Wjlg_lcgEnJhg/edit?usp=drivesdk

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

So I just had my car corrected and coated with this newfangled ceramic self healing coating called Revivify.

Apparently light scratches and swirl marks will self heal when exposed to heat, including parking in the sun.

It's a newer product which seems to be gaining traction in Canada mostly. Several reputable shops have switched to this coating so I figured what the hell.

Anyways the car certainly looks like a candy black gloss bomb now.

Washed it and didn't detect a single new swirl mark in the fresh correction which was nice.

When drying with my leaf blower, water flew off the panels faster than i've ever experienced.

Anyways, time will tell if this coating delivers. I'm very happy with it for now.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
The ozone generator I use and paid $75 for is on sale for $42 at Amazon, highly recommend.

I’ve been using “Tire Wet” lately because I have to take lots of pictures when I am getting cars ready for sale. I have much more expensive tire dressing and non-shiny ones but I have been surprised at the end result when spraying faded black bumpers. Spray it on a shop rag and wipe them down good and it provides a nice, weeks long lasting color to them that isn’t shiny at all, for literal pennies per application.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

MrOnBicycle posted:

Carpro Pearl is one that is well regarded. 303 Aerospace protectant and Tac systems are two other that I've heard good things about. I've used the latter two, and while they work and don't attract poo poo, they don't last very long.

smooth jazz posted:

I've tried about half a dozen tire dressings and found Fireball has the nicest even satin finish, but Adams VRP lasts the longest (VRP performed better than their dedicated tire dressing go figure ).

Scott H on youtube did a pretty definitive test of basically all of them and included a spreadsheet with the findings.

https://youtu.be/_PfD9YhNRE4

https://youtu.be/CkYYu8_mDU8

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1x2T293AQeqOV2Iju8LqltcedUBuyc-Wjlg_lcgEnJhg/edit?usp=drivesdk

Cheers guys, and this is how I ended up watching 2 hours of tire product youtube tonight.

(also that Audi looks great. I need to find a new detailer this year for the heavy lifting stuff like coating and corrections, my guy moved back to Chicago)

Ether Frenzy fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Mar 17, 2021

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Did you decide which tire dressing to try?

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

I always wash my tires with Bleche White and a scrub brush. Makes them look new, no gloss, nothing going into my paint.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
well my karcher cube is on the way, gonna pick up a foam cannon and some suds soon

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Man I can't get CarPro Reload to work in my car wash "setting" (i.e. pay per minute wash). The lighting is bad and it takes too long because the product is "sticky" and in winter probably too cold to be using it. I'm going to try my old Meguiars synthetix xpress wax and see if that works better.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

smooth jazz posted:

Did you decide which tire dressing to try?

I ordered the Adams VRT based on the videos, the non-stick factor was the winning determination for me but there are a couple others I'm going to try if this doesn't work out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I use megs ultimate gel and it seems good