Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

THS posted:

i honestly do not think anywhere near to 1 out of 4 people would know what malthusian means. im not about to go asking though

i have a genXer relative who name dropped him once or twice very earnestly to our 70 yo lib uncle, who also knew of him
just seems an easy idea to grasp that gels with the anxiety of waht if the other side of the mediterranean comes upshore how will i keep my hoard safe in my keep?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Malthus is outright stated as one of the main reasons the Irish Famine happened and why later on there was a backlash against the theory of evolution decades later.

I do wonder if goons honestly think the general public is less cultured than they think and that can be sort of a trap. People aren't necessarily cruel, and to add to that they're not also not necessarily that ignorant.

Kunster has issued a correction as of 11:27 on Mar 11, 2021

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

"the population bomb" and neo-malthusian concerns about overpopulation were a big deal in the 70s/80s - trying to argue that this is a Twitter thing is pretty dumb imo

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
lolling at the idea of goons being cultured

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Homeless Friend posted:

lolling at the idea of goons being cultured

why yes, I spent my high school years reading rpgclasscis shrine pages

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Dance puppets

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Stitcher was my podcast app of choice for awhile. Then they started running ads for that mobile game that paid Ahnold to be in it--the ads start with the sound of a helicopter. I immediately deleted it.

Ytlaya posted:

Part of it, I think, is a result of "being a leftist on the internet/twitter." You become trained to frame all the things you say with the knowledge that "liberals might criticize me" and to preemptively address this criticisms.
Yep. And maybe I'm telling on myself here, but I think that kind of defensive thinking is how a lot of people end up landing as "tankies."

sleeptalker posted:

From an actual leftist perspective, anti-fascism has to be understood as having a very limited horizon of possibility, in that it's never going to totally overcome fascism and all it can really do is suppress some of the most brutal aspects. This can still be a good and necessary thing, but people who make it the cornerstone of their politics are generally deluded, as you say, about the dynamics of the existing "mainstream" and its hand in creating fascism.
Antifascism is just a strategy for countering one aspect of fascism, the street violence. It can't be the basis for a mass political program any more than, say, food pantries.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Halloween Jack posted:

Stitcher was my podcast app of choice for awhile. Then they started running ads for that mobile game that paid Ahnold to be in it--the ads start with the sound of a helicopter. I immediately deleted it.

wait do they play ads if you pay for the app? lol

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Pay for a podcast app? I wouldn't know.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
I just use google podcast but they dont let you add rss black feeds I think

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

i use castbox on android. you will sometimes get one ad page to click a big "close" button on and that's it. much less obtrusive and you can find everything on there

THS
Sep 15, 2017

i thought stitcher required a subscription?? i still dont understand what stitcher is. why are there promo codes for a free app with arnold schwarzenegger ads

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

anything stitcher pays for to have exclusive will eventually be somewhere else

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
I use podcast republic on android. There aren't any ads but the developers can't leave it well enough alone and every other update breaks something. Right now, it randomly causes freezing and crashing in android auto.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
I use podcastaddict. it has extreme granularity for handling loads of feeds, and old episodes of things. there's a small ad at the bottom of the app that I never notice day to day.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

shrike82 posted:

"the population bomb" and neo-malthusian concerns about overpopulation were a big deal in the 70s/80s - trying to argue that this is a Twitter thing is pretty dumb imo

I was taught about Malthus in high school for some reason or another. Pretty sure it was a biology class but maybe a history class

Kunster posted:

Malthus is outright stated as one of the main reasons the Irish Famine happened and why later on there was a backlash against the theory of evolution decades later.

I do wonder if goons honestly think the general public is less cultured than they think and that can be sort of a trap. People aren't necessarily cruel, and to add to that they're not also not necessarily that ignorant.

It's really the classic situation where people don't talk about or converse about this kind of poo poo at work or the bar or the kid's little league game or wherever people get their socialization in non-covid times, so it's easy to develop a sense that you're more educated/knowledgeable than other people and also probably easy to assume that people know all the same poo poo you think is basic

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Nothus posted:

I use podcast republic on android. There aren't any ads but the developers can't leave it well enough alone and every other update breaks something. Right now, it randomly causes freezing and crashing in android auto.

their supposed webapp also doesnt exist or is broken
i enjoy the app still but like come on

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Podcast republic is good now that they fixed the bug that always showed the new episode icon

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
malthus got enough right to be remembered forever but is just problematic enough for anything related to him to be cancelled/condemned in the current oeuvre

every argument about him is the same

saying that white people in the first world overconsume relative to their population = calling for complete genocide of the global south, if you’re one of these real smart podcast thread posters

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
the $3 i spent on downcast eight years ago was worth it

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

crazy eyes mustafa posted:

malthus got enough right to be remembered forever but is just problematic enough for anything related to him to be cancelled/condemned in the current oeuvre

every argument about him is the same

saying that white people in the first world overconsume relative to their population = calling for complete genocide of the global south, if you’re one of these real smart podcast thread posters

isn't malthus' work what billionaire pedophiles like bill gates use to justify complaints about overpopulation

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

grieving for Gandalf posted:

isn't malthus' work what billionaire pedophiles like bill gates use to justify complaints about overpopulation

That was also what Malthus's work was used for when he was still alive

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

saying that white people in the first world overconsume relative to their population

the trick is, Malthus has absolutely nothing to do with this take. He never wrote about the relative consumption of the global elite versus the global poor.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

grieving for Gandalf posted:

anything stitcher pays for to have exclusive will eventually be somewhere else

Right now yeah, but if people keep listening to and supporting Stitcher, then eventually they will be big enough to keep those things private like Spotify. It's very important never to use Stitcher or Spotify, or pay for Chapo, or you'll find yourself in a future where podcasts are monetized like TV shows.

While I'm talking about this, proprietary radio shows don't meet the definition of podcast, and calling them that makes it sound like they're equivalent when podcasts are actually strictly better.

https://daringfireball.net/2019/04/not_all_shows_are_podcasts

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Xaris posted:

correct. "malthusian" is one of those idiot dumb poo poo extremely onliner-ism term that someone on twitter or breadtuber or goon lib once said, that no one had ever heard of before, and then suddenly slamming it non-stop onto the table like pogs are back in style because they read the wiki summary and wanted to seem smart.

likewise nobody had loving heard of some very obscure german party dipshit, gregor strasser, before some extremely-online person said it and everyone two-bit moron latched on after rushing to the google search box. all these extremely online terms like nazbol, strasserite, malthusian, tankie, redbrown alliance, etc. (and some other things like gladio or cointelpro just get memed2death) and just get run into the ground by online libs divorced of any real meaning

i'm pretty sure all the extremely online people who spam those terms to death are doing domestic gladio if not another cointelpro, op

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014

Trabisnikof posted:

the trick is, Malthus has absolutely nothing to do with this take. He never wrote about the relative consumption of the global elite versus the global poor.

exactly. ergo nobody talking about waste or overconsumption is a malthusian, it’s basically reductio ad hitlerum

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
instead of this super original and definitely not uninformed bill gates controls the weather poo poo how come nobody takes him to task for excel not doing what it’s supposed to do. loving piece of poo poo program that gets worse with every office release :mad:

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
actually,,, it’s about ethics in eugenics discourse

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

exactly. ergo nobody talking about waste or overconsumption is a malthusian, it’s basically reductio ad hitlerum

those people were your everyday Quakers, so you could groan, shrug your shoulders, and go about your New England life

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

xtal posted:

Right now yeah, but if people keep listening to and supporting Stitcher, then eventually they will be big enough to keep those things private like Spotify. It's very important never to use Stitcher or Spotify, or pay for Chapo, or you'll find yourself in a future where podcasts are monetized like TV shows.

While I'm talking about this, proprietary radio shows don't meet the definition of podcast, and calling them that makes it sound like they're equivalent when podcasts are actually strictly better.

capitalism moves ever onward, rearranging previous social relations. but maybe if we post enough this time we'll stop it.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

HashtagGirlboss posted:

It's really the classic situation where people don't talk about or converse about this kind of poo poo at work or the bar or the kid's little league game or wherever people get their socialization in non-covid times, so it's easy to develop a sense that you're more educated/knowledgeable than other people and also probably easy to assume that people know all the same poo poo you think is basic

Understandable, I would still keep it in in mind as sometimes the idea of "We can't advocate for X as it can be too "esoteric" or "hard to understand" for the general public" can easily backfire.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Atrocious Joe posted:

capitalism moves ever onward, rearranging previous social relations. but maybe if we post enough this time we'll stop it.

Weird I thought we didn't like capitalism here.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

the problem is when those people also say “Malthus was right” because they heard someone else say it online and it seems cool

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

xtal posted:

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

papa horny michael posted:

I use podcastaddict. it has extreme granularity for handling loads of feeds, and old episodes of things. there's a small ad at the bottom of the app that I never notice day to day.

I paid the $3 for the ad-free version because that ad apparently chews up bandwidth and I pay for data.

Definitely +1'ing everyone saying the stitcher app sucks.

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014

Trabisnikof posted:

the problem is when those people also say “Malthus was right” because they heard someone else say it online and it seems cool

harmless really, they’ll just latch on to some other misanthropic phrase. just like the people criticizing it there’s no serious analysis happening there

more to the point there’s no serious discussion happening anywhere about population control at any level of government, so it’s a straw man to begin with. the fruit of my loins (or even just the concept of this, which again nobody is threatening) will always take economic and social precedence above doing anything to promote the survivability of the human species as a whole. nobody has anything to worry about, all we need to do is find either the avatar planet or that giant space diamond and we’ll be set :)

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Chapo is a business model cast

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.

Kunster posted:

Understandable, I would still keep it in in mind as sometimes the idea of "We can't advocate for X as it can be too "esoteric" or "hard to understand" for the general public" can easily backfire.

the important part here is to still keep things simple. like give obvious cause and effect. [problem] is a problem, and if we do [solution] things will be better than they are now for you. if people don’t understand something on a basic level, they won’t support it.

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

I learned about Thomas Malthus in loving grade 9 social studies class. what the gently caress is wrong with goons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

the new ALAB is, as ever, excellent and a very good exercise in practical reason