Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

learnincurve posted:

Yeh I don’t see anything sinister in it, especially in the south.

Cops beating up a suspect who's alone in his cell is sinister no matter how you twist and turn it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Well yeh but not “he was silenced to protect the lizard people” sinister which is where we are at in 2021.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

I'm mostly surprised that keeping records of customer metadata like site visits wasn't something ISPs did already. Mobile phone networks have had to log and every bit of customer metadata like that and hand it over on demand for decades.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Failed Imagineer posted:

Reading it looks like he stuck the landing, hope he pisses off a lot of people who are fubpee-adjacent or worse.

Personally, I still tilt slightly in favour of the EU being reformable with the support of a critical mass of assertive leftist governments, and that absent those conditions the EU may still have a role in restraining some of the worst harms commited individually by corporatist/neolib national governments.

But I'm not really able to articulate a strong defence of that position and I'm definitely sympathetic to its detractors. I guess essentially it comes down to my quasi-religious belief in the possibilities of supranational organisations to effect positive global change, or at least my not being convinced that we understand supranational structures well enough to say otherwise, or that any alternative pathway is very promising

Monbiot is not a total idiot, he started out extremely liberal and has been slowly turning to face reality ever since.

Maugrim posted:

Harking back to 3D printer chat, let's say I have a glass shower screen with plastic hinges and one hinge has broken. Is it possible to create a 3D scan of the other hinge and print it using a 3D printer?

It would have to be a mirror image of the intact one, but I imagine that's trivial to do in whatever software would do the 3D scan in the first place...

Yes you can, it's sort of possible to do photogrammetry with a phone and some contrasty dust particles sprinkled on whatever you're scanning, but photogrammetry data is a pain in the rear end to clean up and process. Unless the function of your hinge depends on a very complicated geometry it's probably more convenient to use Freecad or the hobbyist version of Fusion 360, measure the relevant dimensions with some cheap plastic calipers and draw a new hinge based on that. Print two so they match.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Oh good. So what's a good VPN these days? I should probably get on that.

I use Vyper VPN, it was very cheap iirc. I don’t really know why I use one I’m just told I should.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
ExpressVPN has been excellent for stealing both BBC content, and also my FiL's US cable subscription.

Come get me Mr TV Licence Man, I gave you all the clues

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

Maugrim posted:

Harking back to 3D printer chat, let's say I have a glass shower screen with plastic hinges and one hinge has broken. Is it possible to create a 3D scan of the other hinge and print it using a 3D printer?

It would have to be a mirror image of the intact one, but I imagine that's trivial to do in whatever software would do the 3D scan in the first place...

This lot are a friendly bunch that can help you.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3365193
One salient point is that the shape of components is determined by the foibles of the material and the manufacturing process. You could 3D print a perfect copy of your broken hinge but it probably won't perform as well as the original. Tweaking the design to suit the peculiarities of 3D printing will give you something that looks different but works better.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Personally I just set my router password as “password”, safe in the knowledge that if it won’t connect upstairs it won’t connect outside the house and if they ever bust me for no licence because my kid was watching cartoons or something I can feign stupidity.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

forkboy84 posted:

So what's a Zemo hours contract? When your lovely boss has a mask glued to their face?

I just want to say that I got this joke and lol'ed.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

suck my woke dick posted:

Yes you can, it's sort of possible to do photogrammetry with a phone and some contrasty dust particles sprinkled on whatever you're scanning, but photogrammetry data is a pain in the rear end to clean up and process. Unless the function of your hinge depends on a very complicated geometry it's probably more convenient to use Freecad or the hobbyist version of Fusion 360, measure the relevant dimensions with some cheap plastic calipers and draw a new hinge based on that. Print two so they match.

This was the conclusion I'd arrived at, having tried a basic 3D scanning app and got less than stellar results. Would Blender do? That's the package I've been wanting to learn anyway but maybe it's a blunt instrument for this purpose I dunno.

Endjinneer posted:

This lot are a friendly bunch that can help you.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3365193
One salient point is that the shape of components is determined by the foibles of the material and the manufacturing process. You could 3D print a perfect copy of your broken hinge but it probably won't perform as well as the original. Tweaking the design to suit the peculiarities of 3D printing will give you something that looks different but works better.

And this is super helpful, thanks, I'll check that thread out :)

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I'm sure one of my YouTube subs will be advertising an ExpressVPN code later on, I'll use one of those I guess.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

suck my woke dick posted:

some cheap plastic calipers
You can get half decent metal Vernier calipers cheap enough, and they'll last for all the other things you might wish to calip.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Oh good. So what's a good VPN these days? I should probably get on that.
AirVPN seems pretty good.

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

Anyone use Speedify VPN? It is able to merge together internet from two different sources like WiFi and 4G. I tried it out when our broadband was being dodgy.
Now the broadband is fixed, I wonder how good it is for normal stuff compared to others.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

At the very least the Met don't take this case seriously enough to ensure adequate precautions are taken to prevent a corrupt cop escaping justice.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
enjoying all the people talking about how being accused of racism is the worst allegation the royals have faced, you know as if Andrew being a credibly-accused paedophile wasn't a thing

blues thief
Apr 1, 2013
https://twitter.com/DanielKebedeNEU/status/1370086374100066310

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Well, good that it was a woman calling her that? I'm nearly there, nearly have those straws.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Hire more women misogynists

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

So are people in the UK just not taught about things like the Mau Mau, the Malay Emergency, the Aden emergency etc etc?

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

We peacefully surrendered this land after we failed to violently crush the people trying to kick us out. We are definitely the good guys of this story.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Random Integer posted:

So are people in the UK just not taught about things like the Mau Mau, the Malay Emergency, the Aden emergency etc etc?

tudors —-> WW1 that’s it

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
The English built a wall and kicked out the Romans, was something my teacher absolutely insisted on in the 1980s.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Random Integer posted:

https://twitter.com/noonanjo/status/1369107154762948615?s=19

:thumbsup:

E: this guy is responding to pretty much every tweet dunking on his idiocy with "ok this is an epic tweet, I'm laughing actually". It's a very interesting performance of brain issues

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
he’s not owned actually he’s laughing

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Random Integer posted:

Really old stuff like the Roman era, Tudors, etc, a bit of the industrial revolution then the WW1-WW2 era (but not the subsequent cold war).

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Random Integer posted:

I know all those names (in fact one of my best friends' fathers was one of the last British servicemen to leave Aden). But it wasn't taught in school (70s) and I very much doubt it is taught now.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Ages ago I saved a link from a Japanese university that were offering a free VPN. Not sure how trustworthy it is, but for free hopefully not too bad.

The link I saved now seems to be forwarding to this site: https://www.vpngate.net/en/about_overview.aspx

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Random Integer posted:

the main thing I remember learning about the british empire was it was very big and it was pink on the maps. they made it pink.

we learned about gandhi once. that might have been in RME though (religious and moral education)

though we did learn about the british role in slavery and triangular trading this one time though. that's... i mean that's something i guess.

keep punching joe posted:

So the Scottish Parliament will pass the 'controversial' hate crimes bill and it has fully broken the mind of Wings (not linking because gently caress that prick).

These days, if you say you hate trans people, you get arrested and thrown in jail.

oh man the ISP folks must be very mad that they set up a transphobia indyref party and didn't even get an endorsement from their hero and saviour

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Kinda wonder what his big brain take on Diego Garcia is.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Was better with United than he is at Spurs.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

https://twitter.com/peterayersbfg/status/1360507311249326082?s=21

I feel like 'bad day' is an extremely subjective phrase where Starmer is concerned.

Oh my god of course he has a leather desk.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

My history teacher insisted guerilla war was called that because they fought in jungles like gorillas

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

Pablo Bluth posted:

Really old stuff like the Roman era, Tudors, etc, a bit of the industrial revolution then the WW1-WW2 era (but not the subsequent cold war).

The Cold War is one of the most common GCSE options (although pretty much entirely framed as US-USSR relations). It's reasonably common to cover it in Y9 as well to get a head start on GCSE content, but it depends very much on he school (when I taught, last 2 lessons I did for Y9 were 9/11 and the Iraq War).

The empire usually gets a half term block somewhere in KS3, but that's not really enough time to get in to much depth with one lesson week.

And slavery is often taught through a very American lens and linked to the Civil Rights movement (most of the textbooks and resources on which are painfully liberal).

Lobster God fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Mar 11, 2021

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Communist Thoughts posted:

My history teacher insisted guerilla war was called that because they fought in jungles like gorillas

Amazing, I feel like as a teenage know-it-all I would have just left the class at that point (like I used to flounce out of Religion if I wasn't trying to make the teacher have a meltdown :waycool: ).

I guess the Boxer Rebellion is an actual example of a war being named after the way the insurgents fought tho.

E: occasionally I feel bad for not having studied history in school, but then I see stuff like that and I accept that I would have just had to spend years unlearning purestrain ideology that was dumped into my teenage brain

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Tesseraction posted:

Kinda wonder what his big brain take on Diego Garcia is.

Rumration Forums Mods Circa 2007 posted:

Will everyone stop loving talking about how many rendition flights theyve seen this week, you know this place is full of journos

E:obvs unrelated to the above, sudden memory

Chubby Henparty fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Mar 11, 2021

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
There are currently 5 IOPC investigations going on into the Sarah Everard case.

1 about how the Met responded to the initial report of her going missing.
1 about how they arrested the officer.
1 for how he got injured in custody.
1 about how she went missing in the first place (This is starting to sound like he might have been in uniform/in a marked car)

And finally one about how they swept an indecent exposure allegation against the murderer on the 28th of Feb under the rug.

Absolutely institutional failure.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think the main subjects we did in history were the Lakota and history of medicine, I somehow managed to avoid any british history at all except for a very small bit about... maybe the wars of the roses or something briefly?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

MrNemo posted:

. Personally from an layman perspective, I'd have thought the best approach the government could take would be a Public/Private partnership style thing of setting up a civil service equivalent to all this crap - an internal tech/management consultancy that effectively exists to provide expertise running change and transformation projects within other government departments. gently caress, keep the same basic business model going to attract the same sort of talent (if that's important) but company 'profits' basically get returned to the Treasury. Of course that would mean not changing suppliers every 3-10 years, which obviously means that it won't be as cost efficient for *reasons*.
Some big companies actually do this internally btw, for example Bayer has (had? Not sure on the current state of how much the company has self destructed since they bought Monsanto) an internal consultancy unit that basically just exists to shore up other units and help out a select few spin out companies.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Pablo Bluth posted:

We learned about the industrial revolution twice, once at middle school and once at high school, because they assumed that as norrherners we might want to know about the history of the industry Thatcher had just destroyed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

serious gaylord posted:

There are currently 5 IOPC investigations going on into the Sarah Everard case.

1 about how the Met responded to the initial report of her going missing.
1 about how they arrested the officer.
1 for how he got injured in custody.
1 about how she went missing in the first place (This is starting to sound like he might have been in uniform/in a marked car)

And finally one about how they swept an indecent exposure allegation against the murderer on the 28th of Feb under the rug.

Absolutely institutional failure.

Hmm. The way you put this, it sounds like you're saying that we can't completely trust the police? Let me just check if I have a shockedpikachu.jpg handy...