Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

i don't quite follow the technical details of the materials post; it seems to be saying you can make wooden structures 800m high, so i think there's a bit of context missing in the loss values section

I'm wondering if the "loss value" is listed in number of pieces, so a horizontal span of one piece of stone will fall apart instantly (loss value 1), while you can stack nine pieces of core wood vertically? (loss value 0.1)

Edit: Re-reading it I'm more baffled than before

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Fruits of the sea posted:

Had a hell of a time with Bonemass last night. This was our second expedition into the swamp which was a 5 minute sail by longboat from base. We were a group of 5 and pretty well equipped (so we thought) with bronze armor, ancient spears, poison resistance potions and stacks and stacks of arrows. Cue an hour long rendition of yakkety sax as we got a portal built and ran back and forth between base and the skull, trying to sacrifice different stacks of things and dodging/being killed by oozes. Finally we found the right sacrifice and discovered that our spears and arrows were completely useless.

So plan b! We figured Bonemass couldn't spawn extra mobs in the sea so we pulled him out to the ocean and went back to base to craft something that could hurt it. We ended up using our last iron on 16 iron arrows and also a bunch of ooze bombs for good measure. More damage types can't hurt, right? Then it was time to do some drive-by shootings on Bonemass who was treading water in the middle of nowhere. Of course neither of these things worked and an unfortunate series of incidents involving sea serpents and Bonemass teleporting somehow meant that half the team died on the water and the rescue team also died as well as the longboat. We managed to recover the materials to build a new longboat and discovered the plains on the way home, where half the team died again.

That was a long night. Eventually we gave in and had to google how to damage Bonemass. Hopefully the next try succeeds.

Follow-up: we returned with bronze clubs and finished the fight! Still think we were a little under-geared or at least hp scales a lot with 5 players. It's funny playing with old wow guildies - we fell into the old routine of switching tanks and calling out buff timers. Some coordination definitely helps though. The best bit so far was coordinating building a portal during a fight with the elder so one guy could back into the fight quicker.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
We had 8 people on bonemass and the other six cowards just sat in a treebase pelting it with wooden arrows the whole fight while me and another friend murdered it.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

dogstile posted:

We had 8 people on bonemass and the other six cowards just sat in a treebase pelting it with wooden arrows the whole fight while me and another friend murdered it.

LMAO, that must have taken a while.

The stamina limits do impose a fair bit of downtime though. Spent a lot of time charging, getting two or 3 swings in and then walking around for half a minute until I could do it all over again.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Wooden arrows on bonemass are the ultimate cheapskate approach.

"I'm too scared to farm drakes and too chickenshit to go toe to toe with that thing so instead I'll chop down an entire forest to get enough arrows to plink him down 1 hitpoint at a time."

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I just stocked up on healing / stamina / poison potions and smacked the poo poo out of them with my mace and shield. Treehouse campers are cowards and will not go to Valhalla.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Bonemass sucks but is not nearly as bad as I was making it the first few times.
Doing it solo is tedious as gently caress but with a beefy iron mace it's okay.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Inzombiac posted:

Bonemass sucks but is not nearly as bad as I was making it the first few times.
Doing it solo is tedious as gently caress but with a beefy iron mace it's okay.

it was way way faster fight vs bonemass with a level 3 iron mace than my fight vs moder with maxed bow and needlearrows. hell, vs moder i had to dip out at her half health and get rested buff reupped.
bows are for ambushes only!

I did do my good old trick again: fought moder on the bossfight seed, brought head + drops to my dedicated server, and now have all the new improvements...which i haven' t unlocked anything for them! ha.

one big issue: we have a very cool forge setup where on the roof are 4 kilns near an outside wood pile, feed them drops coal down to main floor. carts can come in via another path and then into a roo m with 5 smelters, next to the hole the coal comes into. the smelters then push ingots out the back, down ramps made of thatched roofs, collecting all ore right in front of the forge in the basement.

but the blast furnace doesn't seem to drop bars in the same way! is there any way to solve this?

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Mar 11, 2021

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Are there any mods yet to increase difficulty of bosses? I've seen some that make the other parts of the game more annoying or tedious, but not any that makes the big bads harder yet. I hope they add secret bosses at some point, like a hosed-up fire version of the tree gumby, or a lady Eikthyr who attacks with sonic deer screams instead of lightning. You gotta dig under their altar and sacrifice something weird to get 'em and they unlock nothing but new variants of building hammers.

Pill Clinton
Jun 4, 2006

Feast for thought
My "Milvalkee" Art Museum is almost completed. It just needs a bit more decorations. Here is a sneak peek. I'll upload a video soon. Mean while I have a vid of my Tree of Life, community portal hub, for your enjoyment. All built without using any cheats and costed me many lives.

I know there is a missing piece on one of the beams. A fix would make the whole thing uglier elsewhere, so I have decided to just leave it as it is.

Pill Clinton fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Mar 11, 2021

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

mastershakeman posted:

it was way way faster fight vs bonemass with a level 3 iron mace than my fight vs moder with maxed bow and needlearrows. hell, vs moder i had to dip out at her half health and get rested buff reupped.

Do bosses ever despawn, or do they stay around forever regardless of distance until they're defeated?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

DyneAvenger posted:

For my money, it's the Frostner and nothing else comes close. Wide attacks, multiple damage types, great knockback... there's so much to like. When an enemy gets affected by the slowing debuff, you can basically land hits without them ever being able to get in a counter attack due to them being pushed back out of range before their swing lands.

Ice is my favourite anti-goblin. Frost arrows are cool but these are wiggly fuckers even slowed down, the frost on Frostner though, wowza. Straight up anti-goblin tool, really lovely especially if you've got 4-5 on your tail and you can't reasonably parry and attack normally. Just wish I made one before we beat the game lol

Has anyone had any luck luring a goblin to their base to be in a zoo? We have a greyling now, who moved into an inescapable gap in our castle's gate. We got wolves and boar. Would be lovely to have some goblins. I bet they'd be hard to wrangle, like the wolves were. The danger isn't you getting hurt, so much as the the wolf/goblin getting into fights along the way.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

can't you harpoon and drag?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Sure, I was wondering more about their pacification once there. Our greyling I'm pretty sure is just bugged, he's totally non-hostile. I'll dig a pit and line it with stone just in case I suppose tonight.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

No need for fancy effects when an Ategir just lets you stand in place and do a spinning knockback attack every time more than 1 gets close to you.

Pill Clinton
Jun 4, 2006

Feast for thought

quote:

Has anyone had any luck luring a goblin to their base to be in a zoo?
Everything, minus night-spawns, can be trapped and kept in a zoo permanently.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
the sea serpent trophy is absurdly huge and i love it

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Pill Clinton posted:

Everything, minus night-spawns, can be trapped and kept in a zoo permanently.

incredible! does steve just chill or is he be tweakin sometimes?

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Jeoh posted:

Treehouse campers are cowards and will not go to Valhalla.

Live to fight another day!

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Ambaire posted:

Do bosses ever despawn, or do they stay around forever regardless of distance until they're defeated?

They do not despawn and, if you have the mats, you can summon as many copies simultaneously as your system can manage.

I trained Eikthyr over to Elder and learned that they will not fight eachother.

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

In my case it was greydwarves spawning and making a beeline to it and hitting it while I farted around somewhat nearby.

I've noticed that the whole "place a workbench at X will prevent spawning" is also not true. I've plastered my base in workbenches and have personally witnessed shamans and such materialize right in front of me, within the radius of a bench.

I think the rules of spawning change at night.

I feel like there might be something that nudges them through things when they aren't aggro'd. Like maybe it decides they're stuck and tries to help them out while patroling. I have seen a shaman materialize next to a workbench and start bashing it at night, but the only time I was looking right at it there had been a shaman wandering nearby on the outside of the wall shortly before that.

That area also happens to be very close to a greydwarf runestone in my game, so another theory I had was maybe the runestones don't always obey the workbench rule and are not good to build near.

Psikotik
Dec 17, 2002

Random more like ranDUMB
College Slice

Pill Clinton posted:

My "Milvalkee" Art Museum is almost completed. It just needs a bit more decorations. Here is a sneak peek. I'll upload a video soon. Mean while I have a vid of my Tree of Life, community portal hub, for your enjoyment. All built without using any cheats and costed me many lives.

I know there is a missing piece on one of the beams. A fix would make the whole thing uglier elsewhere, so I have decided to just leave it as it is.

Gonna need a tutorial for that portal hub please and thanks.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

I don't think I could live with fulings spawning inside my base, like, that'd probably drive me to uninstall instantly. :psyduck:

Pill Clinton
Jun 4, 2006

Feast for thought

quote:

incredible! does steve just chill or is he be tweakin sometimes?
Steve swims around all the time like the in the ocean if the enclosure is deep enough. When you get too close and he sees you, he'll start chomping at whatever in between, so it is best to keep him inside a nature earth wall.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

classic steve

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
At this point I am planning on covering the entirety of my base with wooden floors in a desperate attempt to stop enemies from spawning.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Does the wood or stone fence around your territory not work?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

It works if there's workbench coverage on the inside. This has successfully stopped mob spawns in both my Black Forest and Plains base.

You have to police those spawns, the fence only stops mobs from wandering in from the outside.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I have a fence around the base and I thought I had coverage everywhere for work tables. I know sometimes the greydwarves that come in have swum the long way around and are coming up the ladder to the dock, but there's also some that definitely straight up spawning inside the base too - like the aforementioned troll who, unless they have some as yet unseen ability to jump over walls and structures when you aren't looking, had no way to get where he was without spawning there. Maybe I missed a small spot with table coverage and thats where the guys are spawning? I don't know, I just know its frustrating. Its not even a particularly large base this time!

I actually ended up putting down a bunch of campfires everywhere, gonna see if this helps first.

Pill Clinton
Jun 4, 2006

Feast for thought

Psikotik posted:

Gonna need a tutorial for that portal hub please and thanks.

I can give you a quick rundown:
- Start by building a large circle with wood beams 2m. Two beams, rotate once, two more beams, repeat.
- Build a central pillar with wood iron beam (figure out where the center spot of that large foundation and place it there).
- From the joints, place wood beams 45-degree going up.
- As you go higher, you want to rotate the wood beams inward to create the smaller upper tree body.
- I created the second level at the top of the 7th wood iron beam. Keep going and create the third level.
- At this point it is just a matter of figure out how far you can get with the wood iron beams (25 is max length I think). Plan out where the platforms will be and find out how far out you can go before things start to collapse.
- Once all of the above is done, I just randomly attach wood beam 26 and 45 together to form branches going out to the platforms. Make sure they click together so it looks smooth. Do the same for the roots. Fill in the empty spaces with more of those beams.
- There was no planning at all which is a good thing to keep the tree from looking too synthetic. Was going to deconstruct the staircase wrapping around the outside which I used during construction, but decided to keep it.
- Finally I tried to build a set of spiral stairs to connect all the platforms together. At the very top, I put another unplanned platform down. Then I got lazy and just built a small hut at the top = Room for expansion.
- Ground level turned into a bar. I put my portal on the second level - I did not show much of it in the vid - because I am too lazy to walk the extra distance when I want to change my forsaken power. Let the other people on the server have the breezy spots up top.
- The eggs are mounted on the underside of a wood pole.
- Died five times from falls. Good luck.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

GlyphGryph posted:

I have a fence around the base and I thought I had coverage everywhere for work tables. I know sometimes the greydwarves that come in have swum the long way around and are coming up the ladder to the dock, but there's also some that definitely straight up spawning inside the base too - like the aforementioned troll who, unless they have some as yet unseen ability to jump over walls and structures when you aren't looking, had no way to get where he was without spawning there. Maybe I missed a small spot with table coverage and thats where the guys are spawning? I don't know, I just know its frustrating. Its not even a particularly large base this time!

I actually ended up putting down a bunch of campfires everywhere, gonna see if this helps first.

Are you putting torches & sconces around your base? In addition to making your base look nice, they prevent spawns as well. Here's a list of things that prevent spawning: https://valheim.fandom.com/wiki/Spawns

In the 3 bases I've built I disconnected the dock from the main house and have a gate + wall separating them, as well as built stake walls surrounding the dock itself underwater. It's seemed to prevent any issues so far, and my current base is in the plains.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Should I hold off on investing too much time on my first base? I just beat the first boss, but I'm not sure if I should spend a lot of time sprucing up the starter base. Will I eventually abandon it altogether for a different location altogether? I'm trying to avoid spoilers as much possible.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

you will have multiple bases probably and a way to easily move between them. it's nice to have a good meadows base

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Bioshuffle posted:

Should I hold off on investing too much time on my first base? I just beat the first boss, but I'm not sure if I should spend a lot of time sprucing up the starter base. Will I eventually abandon it altogether for a different location altogether? I'm trying to avoid spoilers as much possible.

Well you will obtain new materials later, which can drastically affect what you can build, and you'll need knew crafting stations etc. so there's a good chance you'll wind up tearing down stuff to put down new stuff. That said, organic rebuilding is good, and makes for a nice looking base, and a nice home in the meadows (provided it's on the coast so you can do boat stuff) lasts for a long time.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Looks like I don't have to worry about deathsquitos too much in the plains, what with them hanging around the roof and getting suffocation damage.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Bioshuffle posted:

I ended up abandoning my first meadows base, but only because it was in a bad spot - at the end of a giant inlet, so it took forever to sail anywhere, and in meadowland that had a dearth of berries and other resources. I'm keeping my second meadows base because I'll always need a place to go to gather berries and such, and it's bordering some very easy to reach black forest and swamp.

My third base is in the plains, since you need to be there to grow certain things, and while it's now my primary base, I'm still popping back to my 2nd base for foraging. That said, the time I put into my first base wasn't a waste, because it really taught me how the building system works and what base layouts work best, so I was able to optimize it further by my 3rd build - and reclaiming the wood from it to help build the other bases was much faster than felling more trees.

All that said, any time put into a base isn't wasted, even if you end up moving on, as it's fun to build stuff.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Bioshuffle posted:

That's up to you but anecdotally, the first base is almost always abandoned because it often isn't physically close to items you'll need to physically haul. If you don't mind hauling stuffy over big distances or if your first base just happens to be in relatively close proximity to some of those resources, you could stay there for a while.

EDIT: do torches and campfires have to be lit to act as wards against spawning?

FLIPADELPHIA fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Mar 11, 2021

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Having a base with a portal in meadows is super useful when you need fine wood (which is always)

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I thought Moder was one of the easier bosses. We just used frost resist potions and fire/obsidian arrows and she barely fought back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
This latest world I've been playing on is a really cool seed, I haven't had to build any new bases after my first one. The bosses have spawned quite far, but resources have been very plentiful in close proximity. Quick sailing trip across a bay let me grab a bunch of copper close to the shore, and just a bit further from there was a swamp with plenty of crypts. A similar distance in another direction is an island with an enormous mountain that has over twenty silver deposits, and just a narrow strip of black forest between it and the sea. Only hurdle is I built kinda far from the shore and pretty high up from sea level, so carting the stuff from the boat is a bit of a chore. But it's not too bad, it's not THAT long of a trip.