Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Dabir posted:

jk Rowling reveals a new character. meet Sanguine Jugular. he has a terrible secret, and you'll never guess what it is

Hes a disinherited Hapsburg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

I was pretty dead center in the demographic for the Harry Potter books, being 9 when the first book came out in the us. I agree with whichever poster mentioned a lot of the fans that continued being hardcore fans were probably younger, able to read through more of the series at once while still young. I remember starting to lose interest after Goblet of Fire and I don't even remember if I ever actually finished Deathly Hallows, where I would have been 18 at the time.

Putting aside a lot of the symbolism that people are arguing about here (which I definitely would not have been familiar with at the time) Rowling's writing didn't really improve over time and by then I had moved on to better stuff, like Orson Scott Card. :suicide:. And the stuff with the house elves had left a bad taste in my mouth that never went away.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

oim harrah pottoh

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

I read the Divide books growing up and they never got adapted or made a big deal of. I've always been very happy about this.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

the only book i can actually remember reading as a child is The Ear, The Eye and The Arm, great book

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

I recall ender games and this one book where a troubled teen was shipped to the Alaskan wilderness. In my second elementary school at least at least we actually had books read to us. And i recall some M night village type poo poo and a book about i think a black kid in the depression but don't quote me on that the kid's race.

Looking back my elementary-middle school days was a wild ride in which i didn't realize at the time how totally hosed it got. Like we took a trip to a museum in which a guy monologued lost cause propaganda. Dear lord.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

General Ironicus posted:

Thank you! And I guess the answer was just a little more patience, it’s there now: https://player.fm/series/bizarre-podcast-dogs-must-die

Cheers!

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
I was just the right age for the Harry Potter series, and I remember binge-reading the last book in the shop on release day in college. Even at this uncritical stage I was disappointed at how much theoretically cool stuff we didn't see because we almost never leave Harry's POV, I was satisfied with how the series ended at the time, and ready to seal off my memories of the series and move on. Rowling let me down gently and gradually, from the unwelcome resurgence of HP in popular culture, to the pointless and bad Pottermore trivia, to the trainwreck that was The Crimes of Grindelwald, to smaller signs of her bigotry prior to that essay she wrote. Now I've made my peace with Harry Potter not being cool anymore.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Alaois posted:

the only book i can actually remember reading as a child is The Ear, The Eye and The Arm, great book

Oh hey, I read that too. It was a pretty wild ride all things considered.

I was into HP, but if you had to ask I'd probably say that I was more into Redwall and Discworld.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Being a kid that moved from post-Communist Poland to a Western country during the release of the third Harry Potter book, I had no idea wtf Harry Potter even was. Remember my school doing this huge event at my primary school and me just being "...What?".

Solitair posted:

I was just the right age for the Harry Potter series, and I remember binge-reading the last book in the shop on release day in college. Even at this uncritical stage I was disappointed at how much theoretically cool stuff we didn't see because we almost never leave Harry's POV, I was satisfied with how the series ended at the time, and ready to seal off my memories of the series and move on. Rowling let me down gently and gradually, from the unwelcome resurgence of HP in popular culture, to the pointless and bad Pottermore trivia, to the trainwreck that was The Crimes of Grindelwald, to smaller signs of her bigotry prior to that essay she wrote. Now I've made my peace with Harry Potter not being cool anymore.

It still amazes me that this trainwreck of a movie got made without anyone stopping to ask wtf?

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Ibblebibble posted:

I was into HP, but if you had to ask I'd probably say that I was more into Redwall and Discworld.

Pratchett's Tiffany Aching books work are really the best series about a young person going to magic school.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
New value of pi just dropped

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmgCgzjlWO4

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Archer666 posted:

It still amazes me that this trainwreck of a movie got made without anyone stopping to ask wtf?

It is really incredible that both JK Rowling and Johnny Depp's careers unraveling and them both becoming radioactively toxic at roughly the same time didn't do a thing to derail that movie and in fact a third one is still on its way, albeit without Depp, thankfully.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

It gave us Rowling's completely unhinged letter defending the casting of Depp though, which somehow isn't even the most embarassing letter to the public Rowling has written.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Archer666 posted:

Still made money

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

nine-gear crow posted:

It is really incredible that both JK Rowling and Johnny Depp's careers unraveling and them both becoming radioactively toxic at roughly the same time didn't do a thing to derail that movie and in fact a third one is still on its way, albeit without Depp, thankfully.

I mean for the longest time I did get the feeling that Depps image was improving again, until that court case ended.
But it still baffles me that Depp landed that role.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Dawgstar posted:

Imagine if Just Kidding had stayed quiet instead of making the long grab for looking progressive in addition to the gems like how wizards would just squat anywhere and blow out a batch of butt pudding and magic it away and Anthony Goldstein and the Asian lady being a snake all along.

It’s extremely funny to me that she would still be universally beloved and a national icon if she just stopped herself from posting. But she couldn’t do that. And her first terf post was a mistake where she pasted a link to some psychotic blog she crtl+v’d instead of a child’s drawing of a dumb monster from a kid’s book she was hyping. And then she just posted through it and here we are.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

DekeThornton posted:

Pratchett's Tiffany Aching books work are really the best series about a young person going to magic school.

Funnily enough I haven't gotten around to reading those yet.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I believe when I started reading HP the uh 3rd or 4th book had just come out? I remember liking the first few a lot, thinking Harry was insufferable in the 5th book and putting it down for months, enjoying the antics in the 6th book again, then being bored for most of the 7th book's endless camping trip. I think my age was roughly synched up with the book characters by the end? So yeah, I fell in the niche that "matured" with the books. I enjoyed them, obviously, since I can still retain enough poo poo about them to barf up lore here, but they also got me into Reading Other Books that I liked a lot more and still like a lot more when I revisit them. Harry Potter just lingers in my mind when I have intrusive shower thoughts about some stupid Pottermore factoid.

Rockit posted:

And i recall some M night village type poo poo

Running Out of Time? My class read that in grade school one year and everyone really liked it.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

What happened with Johnny Depp's court thing, I thought that whole thing ended with finding him being the one that was getting abused or something.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

It’s extremely funny to me that she would still be universally beloved and a national icon if she just stopped herself from posting. But she couldn’t do that. And her first terf post was a mistake where she pasted a link to some psychotic blog she crtl+v’d instead of a child’s drawing of a dumb monster from a kid’s book she was hyping. And then she just posted through it and here we are.

I mean Terfs literally cant stop posting. I don’t know why but once your down that road your down it for life

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Yardbomb posted:

What happened with Johnny Depp's court thing, I thought that whole thing ended with finding him being the one that was getting abused or something.

Basically it turned out they're both toxic abusive people.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

RareAcumen posted:

Hey guys, I'm sorry for recommending Filmento in here. Guy's an idiot actually.

https://twitter.com/Hbomberguy/status/1367597095344029698

same. instead we should get mad over lore changes in media. the true thing to be mad at.

DeafNote posted:

I mean for the longest time I did get the feeling that Depps image was improving again, until that court case ended.
But it still baffles me that Depp landed that role.

what depp do now. i thought the story was she was the abusive one. i assume it was in fact both of them were horrible.

Archer666 posted:

yeah. i genuinly liked the first movie and i never cared about harry potter poo poo. but than the second one just makes everyone horrible or dumber or takes dumbest choices in plot. also that kid who got loving wasted by american wizard cops is just alive again.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mokinokaro posted:

Basically it turned out they're both toxic abusive people.

I think it came out that Heard was more physically abusive but yeah, it's not like the exoneration you hear some people tout it as.

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

It's weird when mutually abusive celebrities air their dirty laundry in public as a way to continue being super abusive

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
I thought I was the only one who dropped off after book four or so. I thought I was just a lazy kid. I loved to read other books though. I think Margeret Peterson Haddix wrote that Village book among others.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
i bet Johnny Depp's character in Chocolat smelled like poo poo!!!!!

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Violet_Sky posted:

I thought I was the only one who dropped off after book four or so. I thought I was just a lazy kid. I loved to read other books though. I think Margeret Peterson Haddix wrote that Village book among others.

I mean with how many people bought the things just pure stats would imply quite a few dropped them after probably every book

Shout out to those that got six in and quit

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

I remember really enjoying the books but it's going on ten years since I last read them and I don't know how I'd feel now. I'd suspect they'd still work for me but Rowling's weird antics have wound me up so I probably won't revisit them for a long time. Never cared for the movies though.

Even when I was very young though I felt the Time Turner just broke the universe, especially as it was given to Hermione for an entirely mundane and arbitrary reason. If you introduce time travel you really got to work in a terrible price for using it otherwise why not turn back time whenever anything poo poo happens.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Another goon pointed out in the Harry Potter thread that the wizard nazis make a habit of leaving a calling card by casting the dark sign over all of their crime scenes. So you'd think what with access to time travel, every time one popped up a dozen Aurors would rock up there, go back and hour or two, and hang around to greet the nazis when they show up.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Karloff posted:

I remember really enjoying the books but it's going on ten years since I last read them and I don't know how I'd feel now. I'd suspect they'd still work for me but Rowling's weird antics have wound me up so I probably won't revisit them for a long time. Never cared for the movies though.

Even when I was very young though I felt the Time Turner just broke the universe, especially as it was given to Hermione for an entirely mundane and arbitrary reason. If you introduce time travel you really got to work in a terrible price for using it otherwise why not turn back time whenever anything poo poo happens.

This kid needs a literal time machine to complete all her homework. Maybe we should rethink how much we're giving her...nah.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Sydin posted:

Another goon pointed out in the Harry Potter thread that the wizard nazis make a habit of leaving a calling card by casting the dark sign over all of their crime scenes. So you'd think what with access to time travel, every time one popped up a dozen Aurors would rock up there, go back and hour or two, and hang around to greet the nazis when they show up.

Since when cops care about hate crimes?

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

like that's one of the few things the text kinda justifies, aurors could do more but the ministry only cares about appearances and would rather deny the wizard nazis exist than deal with them

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I read the first two Harry Potter books and watched the first five films. The books never grabbed me, but the films definitely appealed to me. I loved Goblet of Fire when I saw it in theatres as a young 'un. I fell off hard after watching Order of the Phoenix, though. I hear the book is better, but it's wild just how little happens in the film. Considering that it has the coolest title out of all the novels and films, you'd think it would have the coolest story as well, but nope.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

CYBEReris posted:

like that's one of the few things the text kinda justifies, aurors could do more but the ministry only cares about appearances and would rather deny the wizard nazis exist than deal with them
Yeah, one of the conflicts of the series is that the cops themselves, and their employers, are filled with the very Nazis that they're supposed to stop. Or, if not literal Nazis, then at least Nazi-apologists. People who think Nazis just go a little too far but gosh darn it they have a point sometimes. It's one of the few very coherent, and frankly intelligent, pieces of worldbuilding in here.

.........Still...that doesn't quite absolve the whole "The magic system that you've established within this series could solve the series' problems very easily" issue. We just kind of have to take it for granted that there's a perfectly logical reason you don't do time travel and that reason is because [train rushes by, drowning out noise]

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

JordanKai posted:

I read the first two Harry Potter books and watched the first five films. The books never grabbed me, but the films definitely appealed to me. I loved Goblet of Fire when I saw it in theatres as a young 'un. I fell off hard after watching Order of the Phoenix, though. I hear the book is better, but it's wild just how little happens in the film. Considering that it has the coolest title out of all the novels and films, you'd think it would have the coolest story as well, but nope.

Order of the Phoenix movie was dumped on for not having enough from the book, but really I could do without rear end in a top hat teenage angst Harry and his awful date with Cho Chang.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

BrianWilly posted:

.........Still...that doesn't quite absolve the whole "The magic system that you've established within this series could solve the series' problems very easily" issue. We just kind of have to take it for granted that there's a perfectly logical reason you don't do time travel and that reason is because [train rushes by, drowning out noise]

Yeah this is kind of my point, even if you want to write it off with "yeah will the government is lazy/corrupt/both" introducing such perfect time travel and then having nobody use it ever outside of one scenario in one book is pretty dumb. I'm surprised Jo even bothered throwing in a mention that the Ministry destroyed all of them in the last book, since up till that point no characters had ever even thought of using one, even for really obvious things like stopping Harry from touching the goblet and inadvertently sparking Hitler's resurrection. Although I guess that's what they do in Cursed Child, kinda.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Order of the Phoenix movie was dumped on for not having enough from the book, but really I could do without rear end in a top hat teenage angst Harry and his awful date with Cho Chang.

Speaking of Cho her actress came out the other day on a podcast that she experienced a poo poo ton of racism and other abuse as a result of her playing that role, but was told by a publicist at the time to lie and say it actually wasn't happening when she did interviews. :fuckoff:

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
I'm not sure if it's in the books or ancilliary materials, but I remember reading and really liking that they deliberately only use time turners for stupid petty bullshit, because things go catastrophically wrong when they're used for anything important, usually deleting people from existence but apparently deleting Tuesday one time.

I'm super done with Harry Potter now, but there's still so much of it in my head, and I do genuinely like the early books whimsy of how dumb stuff like that happens.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Sydin posted:

Speaking of Cho her actress came out the other day on a podcast that she experienced a poo poo ton of racism and other abuse as a result of her playing that role, but was told by a publicist at the time to lie and say it actually wasn't happening when she did interviews. :fuckoff:

protesting that the character was played by someone of Asian descent instead of Scarlet Johansson as clearly intended by the books

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
If I remember right, the only thing was the ministry made her pinky swear she would use it strictly for educational purposes, which lol. How would they even know? Are there timecop wizards?