Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

happyhippy posted:

The Alien AI looks like it needs working, good at running along walls, but they derp when they get to you.
Other than that, looks pretty decent.
Just awaiting the Randy Pitchford bitch tweet about it for that extra icing.

Yeah, generally speaking I actually think this looks pretty good. I'm hoping the alien AI either isn't fully baked yet or gets a lot less dumb when you raise the difficulty. That whole interview is pretty funny though, you can almost hear the IGN guy going "Don't ask if it's gonna suck like Colonial Marines did, don't ask..."

I'm okay with a relatively uninspired co-op shooter if it's done well, but I wonder at exactly the kind of replayability that it's gonna bring. Four one-hour campaigns is a start, but it's not gonna keep people around for long I don't think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Vagabundo posted:

IGN put up a video of 25 minutes of gameplay with the developers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZco0Da52K0

They say it's basically Left4Dead but with Aliens. I'm down with that.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i don’t think anyone should be surprised by the dumbasses on the prometheus after the last 4 years in america

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Gentle Autist posted:

i don’t think anyone should be surprised by the dumbasses on the prometheus after the last 4 years in america
The past year has shown me that the characters in zombie films act, if anything, unrealistically rational

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
We're going to have to make new zombie movies where people deliberately get bitten by zombies, then go and bite other people in the safehouse to prove it's all a hoax.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Xenomrph posted:

The book The Weyland Yutani Report handwaves this by saying that when planning the Prometheus mission, Vickers specifically picked the dumbest motherfuckers she could find in order to sabotage her father’s pet project out of spite. :v:

Honestly, I'd say a handwave's not even necessary. If the last 5 years have taught us anything, it's that dumb motherfuckers can be found in any and all walks of life, from top to bottom. Every slasher film, every zombie flick, every space craft crewed by complete muppets...it's all believable now. All of it.

Gentle Autist posted:

Exactamundo.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
"Dammit Danny, I told you if you're gonna be tuggin' it on my spaceship, use the showers! What if the artificial gravity goes out and your fuckin'... ropes, get all up in the instrumentation?!"
"Don't fuckin' talk to me about my jizz, Franco! How 'bout you do something about all that black goo the fuckin' android brought onboard? I'm pretty sure THAT poo poo, turns people into fuckin' monsters. Long as he keeps tryin' to put that goo in my whiskey, I'll cum wherever I want!!!"

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Gentle Autist posted:

We need to remake Alien so that:

- They all remove their helmets when they enter the Engineer ship
- Kane coughs at and then licks the egg when it first opens up.
- Ripley says its ok to allow them back in without any problem
- CG remove the masks Ash and Dallas are wearing while looking at the facehugger
- The Alien bursts out of Kane's crotch.
- Add in some dialogue after someone dies saying 'maybe its gone now, we should reopen the ship back up'.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
What if a facehugger face hugged something like a japanese spider crab? A crab with a big ol' dick for a head sprinting at you all sideways like.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

E. Revenant
Aug 26, 2002

If the abyss gazes long into you then stare right back;
make it blink.

Sunswipe posted:

We're going to have to make new zombie movies where people deliberately get bitten by zombies, then go and bite other people in the safehouse to prove it's all a hoax.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skXaeucDYHo

I'm just going to steal the top comment on that video. Avenue 5 was weeks ahead of it's time.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

happyhippy posted:

We need to remake Alien so that:

- They all remove their helmets when they enter the Engineer ship
- Kane coughs at and then licks the egg when it first opens up.
- Ripley says its ok to allow them back in without any problem
- CG remove the masks Ash and Dallas are wearing while looking at the facehugger
- The Alien bursts out of Kane's crotch.
- Add in some dialogue after someone dies saying 'maybe its gone now, we should reopen the ship back up'.

then serve everyone cold berders and whine that the alien treated them all very unfairly

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

On a recent binge of Alien/Aliens stuff, I discovered that Alien Trilogy is actually a bad game.

:smith:

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

On a recent binge of Alien/Aliens stuff, I discovered that Alien Trilogy is actually a bad game.

:smith:

Whoa let’s not say anything we can’t take back here.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

No it really is. Shoddy, janky, inconsistent... I want to like it but holy poo poo. You move like a slug and hitboxes are just whatever the gently caress they want to be. It's crap!

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

But enough about Colonial Marines :rimshot:

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

No it really is. Shoddy, janky, inconsistent... I want to like it but holy poo poo. You move like a slug and hitboxes are just whatever the gently caress they want to be. It's crap!

I'm biased here as Alien Trilogy was both the first ever FPS I played along with being one of the first games my family actually owned...and one of the first to be played on the first console my family ever owned. Theres a lot of firsts. Not THE first mind, that goes to Bust a Move 2. Thanks mum.

Anyway, you have to remember its a product of its time, and comes from a period where FPS games were still referred to as "Doom clones". While the enemies are 2D sprites, the full 3D environments and lighting was really good looking for the time. Yes the movement and controls are so so dated, but it absolutely nails the atmosphere and as far as Alien games go its definitely up there. When I was little the swimming pool full of facehuggers on the third level was absolutely terrifying.

With that being said some of the later levels in the derelict have aged really badly, especially given the dated controls. The worst offender is the one with zig zagging walkways over acid pits.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
Doing my quarterly re-watching of the series, I just realized they never saved the hamster in Hadley's Hope. It was still in its cage when the colony went kablooey :(.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Anyway, you have to remember its a product of its time, and comes from a period where FPS games were still referred to as "Doom clones". While the enemies are 2D sprites, the full 3D environments and lighting was really good looking for the time. Yes the movement and controls are so so dated, but it absolutely nails the atmosphere and as far as Alien games go its definitely up there. When I was little the swimming pool full of facehuggers on the third level was absolutely terrifying.
The early levels, maybe even up to ~halfway in are pretty good to look at for its day, with suitably gloomy designs and aesthetic (although this in turn frequently results in moments of "where the gently caress am I going?" since the same textures are plastered pretty much everyone on any given map) but the combat is just so unwiedly and cumbersome that it constantly undermines the atmosphere and in turn fucks it up through being such an aggravating experience. When a Warrior comes looming from the darkness and starts zig-zagging around the joint you don't think "poo poo, these guys are fast!", you think "poo poo, here we go again" as you take several cheap hits while turning to meet your aggressor with all the urgency of a doner kebab.

Lord Ludikrous posted:

With that being said some of the later levels in the derelict have aged really badly, especially given the dated controls. The worst offender is the one with zig zagging walkways over acid pits.
The worst episode in the game by far and away, especially with the endgame pseudo-hub of "hur hur circle round the central chamber" being used four loving times; you have to do all the levels in order anyway so these bits just seem like a really dumb ammo sink before you fight the third and final Queen. That walkway level in particular though -- despite the hilarity of completely ineffective Weyland-Yutani Commandos standing on ledges while you lob 40mm grenades at them with impunity -- is the biggest load of old horseshit with unforgivable "point of no return" dropoffs that can cause you to have to repeat the map if you didn't shoot enough Runners along the way. Why would anyone design a map like that?!

I don't hate the game but even for 1995/1996 it is deeply flawed and revisiting it after such a long time wasn't one of my better ideas. I could rant about it a load more but this isn't really the place :buddy:

As Nero Danced posted:

Doing my quarterly re-watching of the series, I just realized they never saved the hamster in Hadley's Hope. It was still in its cage when the colony went kablooey :(.
Well that's a downer.

ZogrimAteMyHamster fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Mar 11, 2021

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
forget the hamster isn't there a donut that has inexplicably survived getting rained on for several months and still looks relatively edible?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

In the future, space-donuts are awesome.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Doesn't the presence of a donut imply they must have some sort of farm as well to grow the ingredients.
Can't see them shipping a few tons of just donuts that has to be self reliant

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!

happyhippy posted:

Doesn't the presence of a donut imply they must have some sort of farm as well to grow the ingredients.
Can't see them shipping a few tons of just donuts that has to be self reliant

Don't you know that Weyland-Yutani really cares? Building better worlds after all.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

...forbidden donut...

I can only imagine the level of preservatives packed into a contraband pastry to make the haul out to the colonies. Then again, people are still smoking. The 2170s were a hell of a decade.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Aren't there super old Twinkies that are still edible?

A future donut that can make it through space travel is not that difficult to imagine.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
It’s a shake n’ bake donut.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

How long after we're declared stale can we expect a restock?

Seventeen days.

Seventeen *days*? Hey man, I don't wanna rain on your parade, but we're not gonna last seventeen hours! Those things are gonna come in here just like they did before. And they're gonna come in here...

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
The glazing is some kind of secreted resin.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Yeah but secreted from what?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
There must be something laying these donuts.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I love this thread so much.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
I admire its purity. A survivor. Unclouded by natural ingredients, health codes, or delusions of edibility. I can't lie to you about the flavor, but... You have my sympathies.

polynominal-c
Jan 18, 2003

They mostly get eaten at night. Mostly.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
This is Donut Patrol, here are the facts.

Mutant Headcrab
May 14, 2007
Ripley, it doesn't have bad dreams because it's a donut.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook
Glaze over, man, glaze over.

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!

Red Rox posted:

:golfclap:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Red Rox posted:

:hmmyes:

We're in the piper. 5 x 5.

:haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Can someone take the Shakira gif of her making GBS threads out a canned Turkey but with the Queen Alien and some Krispy Kreme? Thanks.