Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Morpheus posted:

'Nah gently caress that I'm going to pinwheel with a heavy rock on a stick until I dislocate my shoulders thanks'

spin to win

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Drunkboxer posted:

I've thought about that game in the past just for the whaling aspect of it, but I read somewhere that you shouldn't play the Assassin's Creed games out of order because of the story.

Aside from the overarching current timeline animus story thing, the good parts of the asscreed stories are self contained to each of the games. Well ok, 2 brotherhood and revelation should be played in order but the rest can be in whatever order

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
That's what's so nice!

There are people who really get off on going on the quest for big damage, filling bubbles to charge your shield to transfer to your thing to refill your other thing to charge your sword to swap to your axe to do one really HUGE hit. The whole process of maximizing your efficiency to run that whole process as often as possible.

Then there are people who really get off on being given your entire toolset up front. No bars to fill, no bubbles to charge, just you, your stamina bar, and the monster. Imagine those two at opposite ends, and MH gives you over a dozen weapons on a spectrum between them. Something will finally click and that'll be the right answer for you. The one you turn to for a fight you are struggling with, the one you equip first in the new game.

It really is just on a different level from other series.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

You get a giant horn you can doot and buff your team and also beat the poo poo out of a monster with.

You also have the equivalent of Doom’s super shotgun.

You could also be Sephiroth.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Drunkboxer posted:

I've thought about that game in the past just for the whaling aspect of it, but I read somewhere that you shouldn't play the Assassin's Creed games out of order because of the story.

100% not true.
Play any of them in any order because the current-day story sections are both boring and terrible.
Read a wiki summary if you're so inclined but lmao no don't worry about it.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

lunar detritus posted:

Having to restart a 45 minute fight sounds absolutely miserable.

The only fight I ever had go over 45 minutes was soloing the final boss in vanila MHW using dual blades and not realizing you could knock them out of the air with the pods that kept dropping around the area (because I tried it early on and they only staggered but didn't fall). I finished that fight with less than 10 seconds from timing out. :shepicide:

Then I ran it half a dozen time with pubs online and every run was maybe 10-15 minutes.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The overarching AC story started out promising but reached garbo status pretty quickly. AC4 barely ties into any of the other games in the modern day story anyway, you're literally playing as some random employee of what's basically Evil Ubisoft that's a front for the Templars and you walk around in first person and never see the character

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Drunkboxer posted:

Is there anything that compares to BOTW on switch in terms of open world exploration? Or at least is there anything that can scratch that itch?

I'd recommend Dark Souls if you haven't tried it. The level design is mind-blowing and you're really tempted to just poke around and explore even if you get your poo poo kicked in.

Otherwise, Hollow Knight pretty much blew me away and is a delight to explore too. Obra Dinn is another game I'd like to be able to forget.

Drunkboxer posted:

No the story is super dumb. The game is fun but it's a checklist instead of exploration. The whaling mini-game isn't bad but it's really just the Del Lago fight from RE4. I'm enjoying going through Rogue at the moment, but I also just use it as an excuse to binge podcasts.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Drunkboxer posted:

Is there anything that compares to BOTW on switch in terms of open world exploration? Or at least is there anything that can scratch that itch?

There's a little indie game called A Short Hike that's just the exploration. It's short, but it's good

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Agreed on dark souls in terms of engaging exploration, it's not open world but it is designed to get that part of your brain lit up with how many nooks and crannies it has, along with its world design

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Huxley posted:

Then there are people who really get off on being given your entire toolset up front.

me spending 15 minutes crafting bowgun ammo and looking up hitbox analyses before taking on the big blue jumpy raptor:

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Zurtilik posted:

Littlewood is a lot of fun. A couple tiny things on the port could use some work.

- Text can be a little small. Especially on pop-up loot windows.

- Mini-Game counter at the bottom of the screen is half cut off.

woke kaczynski posted:

I've only played a bit but it seems like that's generally the idea. I find it quite charming so far, especially because it has the mechanic where time only advances when you take an action, which makes it about 60% chiller than comparable games in the already generally chill genre

Mister Facetious posted:

I would argue it's closer to Animal Crossing than Stardew in terms of activities and terraforming/interior decorating.

Stamina = time spent is the best innovation to the genre ever, and there's a dedicated menu button to return to your home no matter where you are so you don't accidentally use your last sliver and pass out.

Y'all have sold me on it, thank you! The new Harvest Moon (One World, not the upcoming Story of Seasons) apparently drains your stamina just by walking around, which is a goddamn crime.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Inzombiac posted:

100% not true.
Play any of them in any order because the current-day story sections are both boring and terrible.
Read a wiki summary if you're so inclined but lmao no don't worry about it.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

The overarching AC story started out promising but reached garbo status pretty quickly. AC4 barely ties into any of the other games in the modern day story anyway, you're literally playing as some random employee of what's basically Evil Ubisoft that's a front for the Templars and you walk around in first person and never see the character

Yeah alright I might go ahead and try this. I've been wanting some sea sailing content anyway and I can only rewatch Captain Ron so many times.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I'd recommend Dark Souls if you haven't tried it. The level design is mind-blowing and you're really tempted to just poke around and explore even if you get your poo poo kicked in.

Otherwise, Hollow Knight pretty much blew me away and is a delight to explore too. Obra Dinn is another game I'd like to be able to forget.

No the story is super dumb. The game is fun but it's a checklist instead of exploration. The whaling mini-game isn't bad but it's really just the Del Lago fight from RE4. I'm enjoying going through Rogue at the moment, but I also just use it as an excuse to binge podcasts.

I've been wary to try the Dark Souls games because people make them out to be for *real gamers only* or whatever and I haven't really been playing games, but maybe all that's exaggerated. I did play Obra Dinn and loved it, but I burned through it in a few days. Sucks it was made by like 1 overworked dude because I'm guessing he'd never want to make a sequel to it.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Drunkboxer posted:

I've been wary to try the Dark Souls games because people make them out to be for *real gamers only* or whatever and I haven't really been playing games, but maybe all that's exaggerated. I did play Obra Dinn and loved it, but I burned through it in a few days. Sucks it was made by like 1 overworked dude because I'm guessing he'd never want to make a sequel to it.

Dark Souls isn't that hard. Or rather, sure it's hard, whatever. It's pretty classic in that it takes time and patience, but it's really just pattern memorization. Once you figure that out it's just a matter of practice makes perfect.

The plus is that you can grind levels in it, and it's both rather simple and pretty entertaining. And you can over-level and cake-walk it and that's fine. At no point is the game impossibly hard. I got stuck at Smough&Ornstein, like I imagine everyone does. It's a 2 v 1 fight and it's tough. The game provides you with a several Silver Knights and Golems on the way to them, that give you a lot of Souls, and it's right next to Smith that can upgrade your weapons so as you learn the fight you also power poo poo up.

It's totally doable given the time, and it really is an incredible game. I get why it's become so iconic. I bought it physical thinking I'd trade it in and I'm absolutely keeping it and replaying it since it offers so many different builds to try. Me loving Dark Souls is the one thing that makes me think I would enjoy Monster Hunter, incidentally.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Trials of Mana looks neat, having never played a "Mana" game before. Is it good/worth? It's currently on sale in the eShop.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
It's a shame how difficulty of Dark Souls is what people think about before the exploration.

If you like exploration you'll become absorbed into Dark Souls unlike any other game.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
You don’t even need to memorize patterns for dark souls. I never bother and I did fine.

They to those games is you will struggle until you fully understand what the game wants from you, then it’s no harder than any other game really

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Yeah the difficulty is pretty overhyped I was always the worst smash brother out of my brothers growing up, but have finished all soulsborne games no prob. Think like the classic mega man or mega man x games if you've ever played them. for some reason they also have that reputation of being really challenging until you play through one yourself and it turns out it's just an average chill game, personally I think the original Mario Bros is harder than any mega Man game I've ever played

It's just a matter of paying attention and learning, which can seem jarring at first since a lot of games let you get away with button mashing

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Souls games being rare to beat is a myth. According to achievements, the titles have the same completion rate as any other major game.

repiv posted:

monkeys paw curls and you get a port of the hideous "HD" iphone/android version

Hopefully Square makes this version:

https://switchrpg.com/side-quest/project-final-fantasy-6-the-remake-we-deserve/

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Mr Phillby posted:

Comparing Diablo to Hades us like comparing Dynasty Warriors to Monster Hunter.

:hmmyes:

But, uh, just for those of us who have done a sex before, what are Hades, Dynasty Warriors, and Monster Hunter?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

teagone posted:

Trials of Mana looks neat, having never played a "Mana" game before. Is it good/worth? It's currently on sale in the eShop.

I think it is pretty great but not a vast improvement over the original (that's in the Mana Collection, also on sale.)

I made the mistake of making Angela my main character (like I did in the original) and she makes these squealing sounds when she jumps that make me want to play on mute.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i was a teenager when it came out but i feel like it earned its reputation because (almost) all AAA games were very easy at that time, for fear of driving away the mythical casual gamer with too much frustration. it was pretty shocking for me to play a game that didn't hold your hand at all. whereas now that feels much, much more common.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

As a dual blades main, this is all you need to know

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfeVoOKZhXY&t=165s

Played on PS4 with dual blades and then went IG on PC and this is 100% accurate for dual blades.

IG is rad too because you can fly around like you're in a Wuxia movie or just get up in something's face and beat the poo poo out of it (after collecting all 3 essence types which can be annoying on some monsters).

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

You get a giant horn you can doot and buff your team and also beat the poo poo out of a monster with.

You also have the equivalent of Doom’s super shotgun.

You could also be Sephiroth.

Please see this HBG gameplay for further details:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQWq1Z-J-EE&t=8s

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Inzombiac posted:

I think it is pretty great but not a vast improvement over the original (that's in the Mana Collection, also on sale.)

I made the mistake of making Angela my main character (like I did in the original) and she makes these squealing sounds when she jumps that make me want to play on mute.

How was performance in portable mode? Are framerate dips a concern since it's an action RPG?

Oh wait, there's a demo available, lol. I'll install and get a feel for it myself :)

teagone fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Mar 11, 2021

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

That's why I like to distinguish difficult games vs challenging games. Difficult games put up unreasonable barriers that you can learn to get over but ultimately are designed wanting you to fail, like unfair arcade games and old NES games that use difficulty to pad out their play time. Challenging games, like Dark Souls and Monster Hunter, use challenge to encourage you to engage fully with the game but ultimately want you to succeed and give you the tools to be successful. They're "hard" only in so much as you get out of them what you put in.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

homeless snail posted:

The demo is missing the entire preparatory aspect of the game which is itself half the hunt. Building your own gear and item sets in anticipation of fighting a specific monster, and then all that prep work paying off while you're fighting it, is the most satisfying thing about Monster Hunter. Not as fun playing with someone else's gear in the demo. Part of the prep work is also learning about each monster to the point where you won't be spending time looking for it, when you already know it's habitat, where it likes to nest, what it likes to eat, you can usually just run straight for it at the start (also knowing it's habitat is another area that prep work comes in, if it happens to live in a lake or a volcano or whatever). So yeah the demo is very straightforward because it's a tiny slice of the full game.

I don't really know what you mean by wishing it was like Dark Souls though, it mostly is. They're both about managing commitment with stamina bars and uncancelable animations and all that. Just where DS weapons have like three attacks, MH weapons have much deeper move lists

To add to this, I feel like people think that Monster Hunter is just the title of the game but you are a literally hunting these huge beasts so you have to prepare for it properly and you are building up your own knowledge and experience in hunting them. That seems to be the original intended experience all the way back to the first game.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Pablo Nergigante posted:

what's basically Evil Ubisoft

Ubisoft is already Evil Ubisoft.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Drunkboxer posted:

Might I recommend Hades OP?

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
Question for HAC-001 owners: what kind of battery life would you expect playing BOTW handheld? I know 3D games are pretty much a worst case scenario for batteries, but mine struggled to make it an hour. I bought it secondhand so no idea what kind of life it had before I got it, but seems like it probably sat discharged in a closet for a long time.

I don't play handheld very often, but if popping an AliExpress battery in would give me 2-3 hours I'd be tempted to replace it. Not keen to upgrade or I'd lose the games that came with it :-\

Wow, this is something I never knew I needed, and now that I know it exists I hate the fact that it doesn't. Would have been amazing on 3DS!

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

:hmmyes:

But, uh, just for those of us who have done a sex before, what are Hades, Dynasty Warriors, and Monster Hunter?

Feh, what earthly female's caress could compare to the sublime pleasure of completing your first Hades run?

Ethics_Gradient fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Mar 11, 2021

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Wow, this is something I never knew I needed, and now that I know it exists I hate the fact that it doesn't. Would have been amazing on 3DS!

I feel like the sprites just need a bit of a touch-up because the backgrounds still look way too good compared to the character designs.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

teagone posted:

I've just been going through it myself. Apparently there are harder difficulties on NG+, but the default hardest at "Hard" is pretty braindead easy. The only time I've wiped so far is on a boss who keeps regenerating himself if you don't destroy three things fast enough, and has an instant kill AOE ability that follows you around—and I only died to it because by the time I realized it was an instant kill, it touched all three of my guys and I wiped.

Combat is decently engaging, if a bit simplistic. With a dodge ability that can cancel any attack animation and AOEs that are telegraphed with expanding red circles, it's pretty trivial to avoid most damage if you're not being reckless. The biggest issue I've had by far is that the AI-controlled companions are just... bad. Despite having some fairly customizable behaviors, you should still expect a lot of menu navigation as you keep manually using their skills for them, since they don't do it as often as they should, and they don't do much to avoid to getting hit, which becomes a real liability in boss fights with hard-hitting attacks.

The camera also gets annoying as it doesn't move automatically at all, so I'm constantly having to nudge it as an enemy moves behind the camera, or else just swing blindly and hope I'm hitting it. The default setting is also really zoomed in, and the farthest zoom still feels a little cramped at times.

At risk of reopening this can of worms, story-wise the game also just feels really cringey with a lot of its shounen anime tropes. The chainmail bikini outfit design for the two post-pubescent female characters is pretty egregious at times, and the third girl who's a kid talks with an annoying Elmer Fudd speech impediment. There's a lot of cackling evil-for-the-sake-of-evil villains, everybody just seems pretty dumb/naive (why are the protagonists constantly walking into the villains' traps???), and the English dub is serviceable at best.

Honestly, if I didn't already have nostalgia for the series, and for the fan-translated version of this game specifically (who knew an official translation would finally arrive 20 years later?), I probably would have given this a pass.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

homeless snail posted:

That's why I like to distinguish difficult games vs challenging games. Difficult games put up unreasonable barriers that you can learn to get over but ultimately are designed wanting you to fail, like unfair arcade games and old NES games that use difficulty to pad out their play time. Challenging games, like Dark Souls and Monster Hunter, use challenge to encourage you to engage fully with the game but ultimately want you to succeed and give you the tools to be successful. They're "hard" only in so much as you get out of them what you put in.

Exactly what I think.

It may be a meme at this point, but if you invest time into "getting good" at Dark Souls, then the games aren't all that hard. No harder than say some Final Fantasy bosses. Ex-Death was more difficult than any Soulsbourne boss besides the final boss of Sekiro.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

404notfound posted:

I've just been going through it myself. Apparently there are harder difficulties on NG+, but the default hardest at "Hard" is pretty braindead easy. The only time I've wiped so far is on a boss who keeps regenerating himself if you don't destroy three things fast enough, and has an instant kill AOE ability that follows you around—and I only died to it because by the time I realized it was an instant kill, it touched all three of my guys and I wiped.

Combat is decently engaging, if a bit simplistic. With a dodge ability that can cancel any attack animation and AOEs that are telegraphed with expanding red circles, it's pretty trivial to avoid most damage if you're not being reckless. The biggest issue I've had by far is that the AI-controlled companions are just... bad. Despite having some fairly customizable behaviors, you should still expect a lot of menu navigation as you keep manually using their skills for them, since they don't do it as often as they should, and they don't do much to avoid to getting hit, which becomes a real liability in boss fights with hard-hitting attacks.

The camera also gets annoying as it doesn't move automatically at all, so I'm constantly having to nudge it as an enemy moves behind the camera, or else just swing blindly and hope I'm hitting it. The default setting is also really zoomed in, and the farthest zoom still feels a little cramped at times.

At risk of reopening this can of worms, story-wise the game also just feels really cringey with a lot of its shounen anime tropes. The chainmail bikini outfit design for the two post-pubescent female characters is pretty egregious at times, and the third girl who's a kid talks with an annoying Elmer Fudd speech impediment. There's a lot of cackling evil-for-the-sake-of-evil villains, everybody just seems pretty dumb/naive (why are the protagonists constantly walking into the villains' traps???), and the English dub is serviceable at best.

Honestly, if I didn't already have nostalgia for the series, and for the fan-translated version of this game specifically (who knew an official translation would finally arrive 20 years later?), I probably would have given this a pass.

Thanks for this! I'm really just looking to scratch an itch for a pretty looking, linear-ish action RPG with braindead but fun combat, so this sounds like its right up my alley! I also have no problem with cringey shounen anime tropes either, lmao. If I end up liking this game enough, I'll maybe pick up Collection of Mana at some point—which would be my first foray into the world of JPRGs :shobon:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Drunkboxer posted:

There is Elder Scrolls Skyrim, but honestly BotW is the best one.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Question for HAC-001 owners: what kind of battery life would you expect playing BOTW handheld? I know 3D games are pretty much a worst case scenario for batteries, but mine struggled to make it an hour. I bought it secondhand so no idea what kind of life it had before I got it, but seems like it probably sat discharged in a closet for a long time.

That's way too low. New battery time.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
The BotW itch is on the taint.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

teagone posted:

How was performance in portable mode? Are framerate dips a concern since it's an action RPG?

Oh wait, there's a demo available, lol. I'll install and get a feel for it myself :)

Performance is great, a couple choppy spots but Gaijin Hunter says that has been smoothed out for the retail game.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Inzombiac posted:

Performance is great, a couple choppy spots but Gaijin Hunter says that has been smoothed out for the retail game.

Dope. Yeah, I ended up buying it. Gonna start my playthrough this weekend :)

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Is Monster Boy worth getting on sale? I don’t see too many reviews

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Bouillon Rube posted:

Is Monster Boy worth getting on sale? I don’t see too many reviews

Yeah it’s cool