Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

dishonored is not thief and it''s a worse game if you play it like thief instead of embracing your status as the vengeful death wizard of dunwall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

poverty goat posted:

dishonored is not thief and it''s a worse game if you play it like thief instead of embracing your status as the vengeful death wizard of dunwall

I mean yeah its not thief but common, they share so much.

I would be all over a new Thief game if arkane did it

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

poverty goat posted:

Arkane sure does want you to think it's Thief though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRPv7EZV5Ew

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I eat sushi, but you still won’t catch me

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

tango alpha delta posted:

if Dishonored was just Thief 98 with much, much better graphics, it would have been a masterpiece. Thief 98 has the very best stealth mechanics ever designed and it remains a mystery to me why modern developers are unable to duplicate it.

"If the player can't go clownshoes and start slaughtering helpless NPCs the moment they botch a stealth mechanic, they're not gonna spend $60"

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i feel like it would be funnier if it were a marginally deeper cut into japanese food, like not eatin umeboshi

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Sodomy Hussein posted:

"If the player can't go clownshoes and start slaughtering helpless NPCs the moment they botch a stealth mechanic, they're not gonna spend $60"

i enjoy and support kojima's idea of giving the player a chicken hat that makes them invisible after failing stealth situations too many times

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
Super Mario World was the last good Mario game

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019

if Dishonored was just Thief 98 with much, much better graphics, it would have been a masterpiece. Thief 98 has the very best stealth mechanics ever designed and it remains a mystery to me why modern developers are unable to duplicate it.
I think that's kind of an indictment of stealth games as much as it is a compliment to thief. Don't get me wrong the way sound is implemented is fantastic, the tools and athleticism you have at your disposal are great, etc. but the actual sneaking around guards bit never was that engaging to me as a whole. Because of the collectathon objectives you're very heavily incentivized to knock out nearly every guard you encounter so you can freely scour the area, something that's largely trivial to do. Basically it's the same problem that plagues most stealth games, the guard naptime checklist. What I really enjoy about thief is puzzling out the level layouts, why I was one of those weirdos that preferred the tomb-raiding levels.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Nah not really it was just a silly little summary of the things rabidsquid does to justify the 800 hours he put into Yakuza games

You have to balance out the Japan in your life. Too much is bad for your health.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Phigs posted:

You have to balance out the Japan in your life. Too much is bad for your health.

I'm imaging someone asking JollyBoyJohn if they want to go to a ramen place and this playing in their head:

Surely this is a typical dining experience in the mystic land of Nippon.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
First person games = bad
Stealth games = bad
First person stealth games = the worst

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

The Dark Mod exists, why aren't you playing it?

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I have never groaned at a stealth section as much as the one in Spiderman on ps4

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Serephina posted:

The Dark Mod exists, why aren't you playing it?

I actually played the Dark Mod last night. It's pretty good, but the mechanics are a little off.

vudan
Dec 11, 2010
Playing a pacifist run (only playthrough) on dishonored was a bit of a disappointment. Not only do you miss out on a fair bit of cool stuff to use, but it's possible to simply run through a lot of areas. I managed to knock out the final boss and carried him back to the boat in the hopes something cool would happen...but ending up having to kill him to proceed.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Thief 2 (the best one) is a great puzzle game. Dishonored is more like Deus Ex or BioShock.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Altared State posted:

gently caress you odyssey is a bunch of fun mindless puzzles, the kind of Mario game I want to play after work

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Altared State posted:

This is true

dads_work_files
May 14, 2008

important_document.avi

I can't even think of a reason why someone would play Spiderman on the PS4 unless they had just woken up from a coma and the doctor specifically warned them not to do anything that might stimulate them in any sort of way, and that the only way to recover was to experience something really generic and bland. And I'm not sure that's even what happens when someone wakes up from a coma.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I really don’t get people who do a pacifist run for their first run of dishonored. Who plays a game with a storyline of “your lover was murdered, you were framed for it, and you’re supernaturally empowered to get revenge on the people who destroyed you” and goes “ah, I shall not harm a soul, I will be as undetected as a fart on the wind and shall not use any of these gadgets or most of these powers”?

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.
First time I played Dishonored I tried to play it like I would Deus Ex and it was terrible and very un-fun. Someone on this very forum suggested I play it as a kill-happy psychopath, which I usually never do and it became so much more fun to play. The game wants you to stab every guard and make their bodies turn to dust before they hit the ground and it feels great.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
What people don't talk about is that the true sequel to Thief is actually metal gear solid 5

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I really don’t get people who do a pacifist run for their first run of dishonored. Who plays a game with a storyline of “your lover was murdered, you were framed for it, and you’re supernaturally empowered to get revenge on the people who destroyed you” and goes “ah, I shall not harm a soul, I will be as undetected as a fart on the wind and shall not use any of these gadgets or most of these powers”?

I've never done a pacifist run in Dishonored. I dislike the fact that the game has clumsy stealth mechanics when you are supposed to be Corvo Attano, Royal Protector. A well designed game would let you be stealthy and a killing machine at the same time and leave the choice up to the player.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Mar 11, 2021

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
"Because I'm one of the goddamn good guys", I say, as I stuff the unconscious steampunk pope into a torture chair and brand rear end CLOWN on his forehead.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Why not just kick him in the balls

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
whats the button for that

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

i love the fact that Garrett's entire motivation in Thief 2 is that he needs to pay the goddamned rent.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Altared State posted:

even in nintendo, which has lifetime employment, peeps retire to go occasionally talk to their now-adult kids

and get divorced from their spouse cuz they havent significantly talked in 25 years and now theyre stuck in the same building lol

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Altared State posted:

Super Mario World 2 was the last good Mario game

ftfy

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

I killed my actual targets. The guards were just some schmucks doing their drat jobs, didn't see why they needed to die because some rich fucks had a conspiracy to kill my lover and seize power.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Willatron posted:

I killed my actual targets. The guards were just some schmucks doing their drat jobs, didn't see why they needed to die because some rich fucks had a conspiracy to kill my lover and seize power.

They're complicit just like all the mooks in every game!!!!! SNEAK AND TEAR

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Lots of players read statements from the devs saying that there were going to be serious repercussions for killing people in the game, there was no way for them to know that they were being lied to

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

signalnoise posted:

They're complicit just like all the mooks in every game!!!!! SNEAK AND TEAR

Didn't want to ruin all their Whiskey and Cigar nights they all had planned. :(

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Super Mario World 2 was Koji Kondo's best and last good soundtrack

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I liked the ocarina of time deku forest theme and some zelda soundbites but yeah

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i would never claim it as the "best" mario game but i have a soft spot in my heart for mario 64

ive been playing super mario world recently and imo its amazing how good that game still sounds and looks

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

dads_work_files posted:

I can't even think of a reason why someone would play Spiderman on the PS4 unless they had just woken up from a coma and the doctor specifically warned them not to do anything that might stimulate them in any sort of way, and that the only way to recover was to experience something really generic and bland. And I'm not sure that's even what happens when someone wakes up from a coma.

Spider-Man is fine of you realise the generic game in there is just a delivery system for the swinging mechanics which were cool and fun.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

QuarkJets posted:

Lots of players read statements from the devs saying that there were going to be serious repercussions for killing people in the game, there was no way for them to know that they were being lied to

"Your actions in this game will have SERIOUS REPERCUSSIONS thanks to our REACTIVE STORYTELLING and MEANINGFUL CHOICES" is possibly the most commonly repeated flagrant lie in the industry.

I haven't played Dishonored so I don't know for that game specifically. But it's very annoying how often devs claim this and then do not even slightly deliver.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Mar 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
errybody wanna be dwarf fortress but nobody wanna do dwarf fortress poo poo