Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Lobster God posted:

The Cold War is one of the most common GCSE options (although pretty much entirely framed as US-USSR relations). It's reasonably common to cover it in Y9 as well to get a head start on GCSE content, but it depends very much on he school (when I taught, last 2 lessons I did for Y9 were 9/11 and the Iraq War).

The empire usually gets a half term block somewhere in KS3, but that's not really enough time to get in to much depth with one lesson week.

And slavery is often taught through a very American lens and linked to the Civil Rights movement (most of the textbooks and resources on which are painfully liberal).
I did drop history at the end of KS3 and I don't have kids, so I might be a bit out of date.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Maugrim posted:

This was the conclusion I'd arrived at, having tried a basic 3D scanning app and got less than stellar results. Would Blender do? That's the package I've been wanting to learn anyway but maybe it's a blunt instrument for this purpose I dunno.

And this is super helpful, thanks, I'll check that thread out :)

You can use Blender for precise parts if you want to, but it's primarily aimed at making organic looking things like movie monsters or dildos. Freecad or Fusion are basically a drafting table where you draw line, adjust angle and length to a specific number etc.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Failed Imagineer posted:

I guess the Boxer Rebellion is an actual example of a war being named after the way the insurgents fought tho.
And the Great Toyota War.

Convex posted:

Hmm. The way you put this, it sounds like you're saying that we can't completely trust the police? Let me just check if I have a shockedpikachu.jpg handy...

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's continually amazing that starmer literally has no solution to any problem other than "more cops?"

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

And the Great Toyota War.

That's a great one. The Toyota Hilux is the modern day Roman chariot cavalry horse

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

suck my woke dick posted:

You can use Blender for precise parts if you want to, but it's primarily aimed at making organic looking things like movie monsters or dildos. Freecad or Fusion are basically a drafting table where you draw line, adjust angle and length to a specific number etc.

2nding this. Freecad is good for dimensionally accurate components but a bit freeware janky. Blender though... Blender is magnificent. I've spent my whole career using CAD packages that go full Piers Morgan if you so much as think of a curve.
20 minutes of tutorials and I'd drawn an apple in blender. It wasn't even remotely cuboid.
Blender thread:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3893167

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

OwlFancier posted:

It's continually amazing that starmer literally has no solution to any problem other than "more cops?"

Can't wait to watch him sweatily clarify that to "more non-murderer cops"

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Wachter posted:

Can't wait to watch him sweatily clarify that to "more non-murderer cops"
*uses gigantic law brain*
Murder is the unlawful killing of another human without justification or valid excuse
*sighs with relief, mops brow with whiskey rag*

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Cops on every corner, but their phones have an app that requires them to take selfies of them not murdering anyone every half hour, like DPD photographing your parcel to prove it's been delivered

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

What a Hell of a Way to Die has Nate's wife on to talk about her similar experiences to Meghan Markle in marrying a younger redhead and learning about how psychopathically racist the British press is. Although thankfully for her not via being reported on https://www.podbean.com/ew/dir-su7h7-d605376

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Wachter posted:

Cops on every corner, but their phones have an app that requires them to take selfies of them not murdering anyone every half hour, like DPD photographing your parcel to prove it's been delivered

We use DPD a lot at work and their 'proof of delivery' photos are hilarious. Out of focus photo of a parcel on a curb next to a hedge. Yeah delivered mate.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

serious gaylord posted:

We use DPD a lot at work and their 'proof of delivery' photos are hilarious. Out of focus photo of a parcel on a curb next to a hedge. Yeah delivered mate.

I got one that was a photo of the parcel...Still in the back of the van, surrounded by other parcels

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Niric posted:

I got one that was a photo of the parcel...Still in the back of the van, surrounded by other parcels

This wins unless anyone can top it with a photo of it in the parcel cage at the depot????

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Starmer policy is basically this but with police replacing toilets

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2b-wTJ8x3E&t=63s

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

peanut- posted:

This video is wild. Labour lost in 2019 and the message the party apparently took from that is that the public do not want nurses to get a pay rise.

The host basically begging the Labour Party to be the Labour Party is quite something.

https://twitter.com/Sabrina_Huck/status/1369938773094580224?s=20

This is gratifying as gently caress. Rayner being specifically, uniquely bad on free speech was a huge red sign but because that's wierdly still considered a culture war issue it did feel like 'is that my internal biases projecting? Does this person have good intentions but is operating within a slightly different socially constructed framework than I am?' but no, she's just dogshit.

learnincurve posted:

So lol ate a possibly permanent twitter suspension if anyone is wondering, was getting mass reported for a anti-TERF thread which was gaining traction and they nailed me for hate speech the first time I swore.

Twitter are doing a new thing, I guess technically vastly expanding on an old thing, where the geographical data of people making the complaints is now much more relevant in how the algorithm handles reports. Unless you wrote something legit nasty if you were posting from the UK then you'll probably get your account back if you appeal. If it feels stupid/arbitrary/authoritarian then feel free to join us in 'free speech actually matters' gang.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
at my school in NI we were taught no irish history at GCSE lol

we were taught a bit about it in i think the second year of secondary school, but that was it. there was way more on the english civil war and the tudor era and that

GCSE was mostly Hitler and The Nazis

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
The Met have withdrawn permission for the reclaim the streets protest and threatened the organisers with massive covid breach fines and that is an insanely poor stance to take now.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

I like it when parcels are left "in a safe place" - the bin - on bin day

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

serious gaylord posted:

The Met have withdrawn permission for the reclaim the streets protest and threatened the organisers with massive covid breach fines and that is an insanely poor stance to take now.

I mean, that's how it normally goes, they just double down on being scum and have the full support of everyone in government.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Cancelling the protest because they cant trust their own officers not to murder any more women.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
It sounds like theyre going to get a judge to decide if its allowed or not. But they need money first maybe? Dunno, unclear.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Just avoided making a huge faux pas in a facebook group I'm in for one of my old schools.
Someone posted a photo which I could have sworn was Kerry Stairmaster in a police uniform. Was just about to press the post arrow on a 'funny' comment reply I made when I read the post again more carefully and saw it was an old school friend of the guy posting! Could have been embarrassing.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

serious gaylord posted:

This wins unless anyone can top it with a photo of it in the parcel cage at the depot????

I got curious if the photo was actually as bad as I remembered, so had a quick search in my email:

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
the union is saved

https://twitter.com/benrileysmith/status/1370139994900340736

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Nothing would endear people to the government more than close proximity to them.

Also do the devolved governments have to move to westminster? Do they get to be the UK government for a while?

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
The comedy value of 650 MPs trying to squeeze into a chamber with 129 individual separate seats might be worth it though. everyone pretend you would find it really convincing

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

crispix posted:

at my school in NI we were taught no irish history at GCSE lol

we were taught a bit about it in i think the second year of secondary school, but that was it. there was way more on the english civil war and the tudor era and that

GCSE was mostly Hitler and The Nazis

Was the opposite in my Christian Brothers school in NI.
Not a tap about mainland or NI recent history, but everything about Ireland from the first two counties invaded by the english upto 1916.
I totally can see how some came out thinking with anti-brit notions.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Just do it like South Africa did, Lower House in London, Upper House in Edinburgh, High Court in Cardiff, Monarchy in sea.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I can't decide if it's reassuring to see Jess Phillips making the most of an opportunity for self-promotion, or horrific.
Society may have accepted dead women, but it's also accepted dead teenagers in inner cities. It's a shame Jess Phillips doesn't give a poo poo about them.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Angepain posted:

The comedy value of 650 MPs trying to squeeze into a chamber with 129 individual separate seats might be worth it though. everyone pretend you would find it really convincing

Jacob is very smart, nanny said so.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

kingturnip posted:

I can't decide if it's reassuring to see Jess Phillips making the most of an opportunity for self-promotion, or horrific.
Society may have accepted dead women, but it's also accepted dead teenagers in inner cities. It's a shame Jess Phillips doesn't give a poo poo about them.

Apparently Jess 'forgot' to read up any transwomen names. Funny that.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Angepain posted:

the comedy value of them trying to squeeze into the what... 200 arses-worth of bench in parliament doesn't make any difference
people just get used to the sight of them standing en mobbe, braying.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Angepain posted:

It still wouldn't exceed the comedy value of Mogg demonstrating that he knows literally nothing about Britain's government outside Westminster. Most notably that if the Tories went to Stormont to govern, an incident would be almost inevitable.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Stormont doesn't take kindly to anyone trying to govern.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Broke: Northern Ireland ruled direct from westminster.

Bespoke: UK ruled direct from Stormont

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Someone just reminded me on FB of the old 'demon eyes' poster campaign against Tonty so I had a look at some other campaign posters.

1997:

2010:

2015:

Interesting short blog post on the topic of negative advertising in politics:

https://martinamanaskova29.wordpress.com/2015/03/05/pros-and-cons-of-negative-advertising-in-politics/

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Pretty cool that the only one of those that wasn't lies didn't work.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Someone just reminded me on FB of the old 'demon eyes' poster campaign against Tonty so I had a look at some other campaign posters.

1997:

2010:

2015:

Interesting short blog post on the topic of negative advertising in politics:

https://martinamanaskova29.wordpress.com/2015/03/05/pros-and-cons-of-negative-advertising-in-politics/

As sociologically worthless the profession of 'marketer' is these two are legit sort of impressive

Neither of them are remotely true but that's some real good iconography.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

also expect extra comedy if your organisation hires mckinsey. the consultants mckinsey sends will act like smug assholes, but that's not just because they're actually smug assholes, it's because mckinsey does branding by making sure anyone in a client facing role acts like the exact same kind of smug rear end in a top hat

Once they leave, you can also find out if someone worked at McKinsey because they mention it five times per conversation. We have a lot of MBA grads / consulting alum in senior positions at my place. I don’t think I’ve ever met one who is clueless, they are usually quite smart and get our business well, but only the McKinsey ones feel the need to constantly remind people of where they used to work.

I think what exactly you're consulting in does matter - if you're tied to a specific field or do consulting to develop specific products it's much more likely you'll be able to do useful work, but I strongly doubt that high powered do-everything or business consultancies are nearly as good at doing every possible task under the sun as they claim.

IIRC the studies showed that they add a lot of value where they go into a business that has relatively simple time-and-motion type problems that for whatever reason it hasn’t been able to fix by itself, but the value add is a lot harder to show for anything more complex.

Beefeater1980 fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Mar 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Keir's next policy announcement is flags outside bus stations imo