Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Automated systems are often really bad for people that live either on a fixed income that comes in on a day of the week instead of a numbered date, or people who live paycheck-to-paycheck. Auto payments will attempt to pay your bills regardless of whether you have enough money, or even a positive nonzero balance, and will draw you very far into the negative. And then each of those charges will have an associated fee, and then a general overdraft fee, and a rolling overdraft fee for each day that the account stays overrated. And you'll still get hit with late payment penalties from the things that you're trying to pay, so you get hosed at both ends of the transaction.

e: oh yeah and that's not even getting into Bloop's point about access to banking in the first place, which is crazy restrictive for a number of reasons, but significantly in modern times because of the Patriot Act.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Bold of you to assume that practices are standardized. Every property management company and every sole landlord does things their own way. Some people demand checks, some want cash, etc. I don't think anyone besides the big companies likes to use electronic transfers because they take a couple days, unlike electronic check clearing. And how are you going to use a debit or credit card when the credit companies charge so much for a reader contract? So that's also only for companies big enough that they don't care about the overhead.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

The Mash posted:

Can you not pay rent with automated bank transfers or some form of payment system in the US? I have never in my life paid rent manually except for the first month here in Denmark.

I'm not giving my bank account info to the apartment complex. My faith in them is far less than my faith in Danish banks and I've never been to Scandinavia.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
My landlord wanted the first two months in money orders, and personal check there after.

So I have to pay 4 bucks extra a month on rent to make this happen for him.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

our landlord gave us the month of July for free

land of contrasts etc

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

The only time I had to pay my rent in cash or check was my first apartment out of college, which was owned by a million year old semi-deaf crotchety old lady from long island who chain smoked named DIANE. The way you probably just read that name in your head is exactly how she sounded all the time.

To her credit, she never raised the rent on me at all the entire time I was living there because "she's not that kind of person" according to her, so that's... something I guess

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

To take that credit away, when I told her the (at the time pre-transition) name of my wife who would be moving in later she immediately responded with:

"THEY'RE NOT BLACK, ARE THEY?"

"...nnno...?"

"GOOD."
[awkward silence]
"YOU KNOW WHY I ASK, RIGHT?"

"N...o?"

and then she just started talking about something else.

In retrospect she was pretty much a hilarious caricature of a northern democrat I guess. Totally cool with me being A Big Gay and having my [at the time] Big Gay Boyfriend live in the apartment, she was very loud about supporting Obama in 2012 and even drove tenants to the polling place who didn't have a ride, and she proudly supported black people conceptually while openly discriminating against them in reality.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Oh I just remembered, she had the clever idea to get the lovely run-down little place certified as a hotel, which meant anyone who didn't have a lease contract (which she'd only offer you after you'd lived there a full year) she could legally evict with only 30 minutes notice, which she made very clear several times the first year until she was confident we weren't going to have any "rowdy parties" (her primary concern) and that we were going to pay our rent on time (her secondary concern)

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Diane is a land of contrast.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

The number of shooting victims in SF is four times higher so far this year compared to the same point last year, and almost 3x higher than 2019

Almost like people didn't get their loving money!

also here's all shootings resulting in injury or death over 3.5 years:

Would have been twice as many shootings 15 years ago. Most of them are concentrated in areas where minorities (mostly black and latino, and poor) have been concentrated and neglected for over half a century, by our racist capitalist piss system. Old redlining maps line up almost perfectly with the shooting clusters.

The gray areas are gang territory, though i know that there are gangs who claim more than what is shown on the map. A lot of the territory also coincides with public housing developments, including some of the most run down in the nation. Wow richest city richest nation USA #1 u will take ur police brutality and mold and sewage and lack of maintenance, and ongoing privatization and racist evictions, and like it! What do you mean you're worried that the rebuild of your building will not truly be for you and the existing residents, look how nice it is why are you mad? :abuela: A theory i see mentioned often, is that the powers that be let the projects get so dilapidated not just due to racism and saving money on maintenance/services, but because if you devalue the projects to the maximum, then your private developer buddies can buy them for cheaper when it's time to gentrify.

I'm not sure what the big gray zone in the marina district (north end of the city) is though, because that area is hella fancy and full of frat bros and tech nerds and tourists and dog spa owners lol.

Also, the ongoing drop in violent crime is largely due to campaigns by the SFPD and FBI to take down various gangs that they probably wouldn't have bothered with 20-30 years ago when the neighborhoods those gangs operate in weren't being heavily gentrified (gangs that wouldn't have even existed if capitalism didn't gently caress them and their ancestors over, and over). The gang injunctions don't start until some rich person from Connecticut wants to move in next to their favorite Taqueria. Wow look a young latino man wearing a 49ers hat, better put him on the gang member list and arrest him if he's ever spotted in the neighborhood again.

Same thing happened to a smaller extent in the past too, when other formerly extremely-rough areas would suddenly get SWAT raids and have all the most run down project buildings demolished once gentrification in the area starts picking up, after past decades of the city not giving a poo poo about conditions in the "poor minority zone". And any replacement "public" housing buildings are run privately and have strict rules meant to more easily justify evictions, that are applied disproportionately to black and latino households. And more recently, those privately run public housing rebuilds (dubbed affordable housing) are always mixed with much higher proportions of fancy rear end rich people housing, who spend all their time complaining about the poors around them. Oh yeah and half of these projects, and the fancy pants rebuilds, are built on former toxic waste dumps, hope u like cancer and asthma.

now multiply all of this by every city in the country lol :d2a:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Im the one guy who got murdered in the middle of the bay somehow

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 210 days!

Shame Boy posted:

Im the one guy who got murdered in the middle of the bay somehow

honestly I'd be surprised if that isnt just the only one where it was noticed because boats are a perfect place to murder someone

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo
How do you even have gang territory or honestly PoC existing at all in SF? Wouldn't caravans of techbros in gold and black with plates and ARs just go apeshit on any neighborhood like that from the bed of their lifted trucks with no consequences?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Hodgepodge posted:

honestly I'd be surprised if that isnt just the only one where it was noticed because boats are a perfect place to murder someone

people go missing on cruises like, all the time

and it's just brushed off as no big deal

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

SchnorkIes posted:

How do you even have gang territory or honestly PoC existing at all in SF? Wouldn't caravans of techbros in gold and black with plates and ARs just go apeshit on any neighborhood like that from the bed of their lifted trucks with no consequences?

what world do you live in

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

indigi posted:

what world do you live in

I mean the one where in Portland gangs of weird white dudes did exactly that in the middle of huge protests lmao, and were supported by state death squads

SF is like weird white liberal to the max, everyones an engineer ffs

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Oregon has quite the abundance of woodland chuds

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

SchnorkIes posted:

I mean the one where in Portland gangs of weird white dudes did exactly that in the middle of huge protests lmao, and were supported by state death squads

liberal/left protestors don't shoot back, actualy gangs would absolutely gently caress them up bigtime

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!
Huh... I looked up where I stayed when I detoured to SF from the PCT, the Hotel Bijou, and it's right in that densest cluster. Can't say I felt physically unsafe to be honest, but I was probably assumed to be homeless emitting a trail funk and wearing clothes with 1000 miles of hiking on them. This was in 2015.

We couldn't get a one way rental from Truckee so me and a buddy ended up renting a U-Haul to drive there and then once there used it to get around SF. I followed the Captain Ron philosophy of "they'll move" in traffic and it wasn't too bad. Somehow we managed to park it by the Golden Gate bridge when we went to look around there, not sure how we got away with that one.

My pack did get stolen via smash and grab though. Didn't have a pad lock for the box part of the truck so I locked it in the cab, but there was no way to really hide it. Hope they enjoyed that funky sleeping bag, tarp, and socks. Renter's insurance covered it (thank god the USAA lady explained to me that I shouldn't cancel because I'd be covered, I intended to cancel it because I was ending my lease at the start of the trip). I ended up spending like half of the payout to replace the stuff because I had a much better idea of what I needed than before I started.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

SchnorkIes posted:

You might want to go look for your brain, you've clearly misplaced it somewhere.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Orange Devil posted:

Diane is a land of contrast.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

Spazzle posted:

You might want to go look for your brain, you've clearly misplaced it somewhere.

Look all I'm saying is it's full of tech cultists with way too much money and mountains of munitions, it could get all "cut the tall trees" really fast if Elon or whatever made so much as a dodgy tweet. Scary fuckin place imo.

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo

SchnorkIes posted:

ahhh thats the stuff

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo
like can you imagine what kind of fuckin freak theyve been breeding in there, what kind of chud-liberal tech weirdo pedophiles and other monsters just rolling off the assembly line and stewing in their murderous juices

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

My biggest complaint is the thought that they'd drive lifted trucks and not teslas

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

Shame Boy posted:

My biggest complaint is the thought that they'd drive lifted trucks and not teslas

theres a shocking overlap

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

SchnorkIes posted:

theres a shocking overlap

soon it will be lifted cybertrucks

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

that lift is caused by end of life battery swelling

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

SchnorkIes posted:

lol

Poor people exist in SF because of:

-rent control (70% of rental units have it, and 60% of SF residents rent)
-public housing/section 8 (SF has a pretty large amount by US standards, with several thousand units and 30,000 residents, but there's a years-long waiting list for units, and some of them are pretty rough places to live),
-SROs (old, often run down, residential hotels that are clustered mostly in the tenderloin and mission districts, that are overpriced, but just barely cheap enough for a poor person to scrape by and still be broke after paying rent),
-having a billion roommates
-you inherited a house
-you're homeless.

Also pay is higher than other parts of the country which helps slightly offset the cost of living (not much lol). Housing is expensive as gently caress, but it is possible to live here as a poor person.

As for minorities, they exist in SF because this is America, and CA, which is full of minorities and immigrants. Indigenous people and Mexicans were here before Americans showed up. Chileans and tons of Chinese people came over during the gold rush. Most of the black population arrived during the second great migration, at first to work in the WWII shipyards for the most part (and then they were thanked by being herded into the projects and oppressed). Latino people from Mexico, El Salvador, Guatemala, Nicaragua, Honduras, started showing up in big numbers in the 1960s, along with tons more Chinese people, Vietnamese people, Filipinos, and plenty of other minorities.

Rah! has issued a correction as of 04:14 on Mar 12, 2021

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

SchnorkIes posted:

dude, SF is way less white than Portland

and everyone is not a loving engineer lmao

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

indigi posted:

liberal/left protestors don't shoot back, actualy gangs would absolutely gently caress them up bigtime

remember when that unite the right dipshit got his teeth punched out on camera in SF?

there were definitely some leftists shooting back in portland though

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SchnorkIes posted:

the people who arent on the streets are, anyway. SF was a mostly working class city within our lifetime and now something insane like 40% of people who work in the city are homeless and most of the rest commute over an hour.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I spent a week in SF for a business trip, and it's hell on earth with a vibrant community.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

the last time i visited SF i was still a bartender and let me tell you:

gently caress fernet branca

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

FFT posted:

Always found him to be a nice guy.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

Larry Parrish posted:

the people who arent on the streets are, anyway. SF was a mostly working class city within our lifetime and now something insane like 40% of people who work in the city are homeless and most of the rest commute over an hour.

I loving hate the west coast so much

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Fame Douglas posted:

Always found him to be a nice guy.

loving a nice guy sounds good.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Larry Parrish posted:

something insane like 40% of people who work in the city are homeless and most of the rest commute over an hour.

:thunk:

e: as of 2019, there were 523,000 SF residents that were employed, and of them around 400,000 worked in the city. Then add another 250,000 commuters coming into SF to work. 40% of that is around 250,000, which would be more homeless people than there are in the entire state.

Rah! has issued a correction as of 18:09 on Mar 12, 2021

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

FFT posted:

the last time i visited SF i was still a bartender and let me tell you:

lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frJq0_qMaj8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

SchnorkIes posted:

engineers are more likely to be chuds than liberals imho

gently caress engineers

edit: oh you meant software developers. they aren't engineers and they are probably dumb liberals.