Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

CapnAndy posted:

Is your country America, because $30 per movie is goddamn absurd.

Mexico to be precise. I think Mulan was like $600 pesos. Raya is $359, and is still a crazy number. :psyduck: Considering that before the pandemic I could buy a movie ticket for like $40 pesos or less in a matinee, $180-200-ish pesos in the theater where they would serve booze.

So yeah, it's nuts, it's not an attractive price and I'm gonna wait until it's free on D+ You could argue that I'm buying a movie for my whole family and it's the equivalent to buy tickets for everyone. But drat, no. I'm honestly the only one who loves watching MCU stuff in my home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm a Phase 2er, so I will be getting my vaccine "sometime"

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

"Identity Crisis" Murderer Wild Guess #333:Prince "Lady Killer Charming "Well, I AM the Adversa"

Endless Mike posted:

What is Sony's streaming service

I was going to say Crackle, but I did a quick search to confirm that and I found out that Sony owned Crackle, but they just sold it to Chicken Soup for the Soul Entertainment.

I'm not even sure what kind of joke to make here, I'm just so confused.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Chicken Soup for the Soul now owns Joe Dirt 2

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I'll be fully vaccinated by may and I still probably won't go lol

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The problem is the perfect spy superhero movie in russia already exists and it's called Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Endless Mike posted:

I'm a Phase 2er, so I will be getting my vaccine "sometime"

Being a Phase 3er I congratulate you on being more useful to society.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

I just checked to see what phase I'm in and couldn't parse which one I am so maybe I'll see Black Widow when it finally hits Disney+ whenever that happens

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Arist posted:

Anyway, Disney had an investor call and it seems like they're not going to flinch on the Black Widow release date this time and aren't going digital. Which sucks, considering the obvious safety concerns and also that Raya doesn't seem to have done well in theaters. So... May 7th. I strongly doubt I will have received the vaccine by then.

until they actually resume marketing for the film with the May 7 date attached, I'm still not entirely convinced that this will actually happen. they're cutting it close, though

I don't think it'll have anything close to a traditional theatrical window, though, even if they stick with that dumb plan

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The theater industry will start up after the pandemic the same way it stopped: with a Sonic the Hedgehog movie

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

CapnAndy posted:

But on the other hand, and at this point it's bizarre they don't see it, they're running the risk of becoming Tenet 2: Underwhelming Opening Weekend Boogaloo. May 7th is too early to do pre-pandemic numbers and if they hype themselves up as being the big EVERYTHING'S NORMAL COME OUT TO THE MOVIES EVEN THOUGH THEY'RE DEATHTRAPS thing and then don't do a $100 million opening weekend, what then?

True, but Tenet was an original movie that honestly didn't have that much advertising (at least I didn't see much). Black Widow is a Marvel Cinematic Universe™ production and people will come see it because of that. It'll probably underperform to be sure but it'll kill compared to basically every other movie released in theaters during the pandemic and that'll probably be good enough press. Then they can put it on D+ and fleece everyone else.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Oh it’ll kill alright

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Cinemark, one of the largest theater chains in the US, didn't book Raya and the Last Dragon because Disney tried to set a pre-pandemic deal. Which I don't see changing for Black Widow.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

site posted:

Yeah but at least those had the decency to bad in cheesy fun and/or hilarious ways and not just...bad

You should watch more Godzilla movies. For every one that’s camp accidentally or not there is another that plays everything as straight as the Toho budget will allow. The Showa era films were the campiest, millennium bounced back and forth and hesei tried to play things straight, but generally failed.

If Toho had Hollywood money you can besure they’d have made something like the American Godzilla by now but when your budget can mostly swing dudes in rubber suits incidental camp is what you get.

Also if Toho wasn’t happy with the way Godzilla was going they’d have made their displeasure known.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i think the only ones i haven't seen are vs gigan and vs megalon

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

site posted:

Casual~

Edit: I think the Showa stuff is still on the criterion app if anyone wants to binge watch during the free trial period.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Dawgstar posted:

Being a Phase 3er I congratulate you on being more useful to society.
I should be clear: it's Phase 2 of 2, and somehow there's seven phases before Phase 2.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I'll have my second shot next week or so and I still won't go to the theater to see it. I *MIGHT* go to an outdoor bar to eat and enjoy some good beer for the first time since december '19, but even that is a solid maybe. No way am I spending time in an enclosed theater.

Hey, maybe this will bring back drive ins?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Hoping to get my shots sooner than later, but luckily the drive-ins are opening at the end of the month.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Chicken Soup for the Soul now owns Joe Dirt 2

Chicken Soup for the Soul just released a movie about Nicholas Cage fighting off-brand Five Nights at Freddy's. The world is weird.

site posted:

Might as well just watch the MST3K episode for that one.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Rhymenoserous posted:

Edit: I think the Showa stuff is still on the criterion app if anyone wants to binge watch during the free trial period.

is king kong vs godzilla not available on the channel?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

No, but Koko: A Talking Gorilla is

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Soonmot posted:

I'll have my second shot next week or so and I still won't go to the theater to see it. I *MIGHT* go to an outdoor bar to eat and enjoy some good beer for the first time since december '19, but even that is a solid maybe. No way am I spending time in an enclosed theater.

Hey, maybe this will bring back drive ins?

They're already back in some areas.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Roth posted:

No, but Koko: A Talking Gorilla is

close enough i suppose

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

muscles like this! posted:

Cinemark, one of the largest theater chains in the US, didn't book Raya and the Last Dragon because Disney tried to set a pre-pandemic deal. Which I don't see changing for Black Widow.

That's some wild hubris on Disney's part. Sheesh.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

JordanKai posted:

That's some wild hubris on Disney's part. Sheesh.

The law prohibiting Disney from owning all the theaters themselves ends in a couple of years anyway.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

site posted:

Happily if you've seen Destroy All Monsters you've already seen like 30% of Godzilla vs. Gigan because they reuse a lot of footage of Ghidorah and Anguirus in it.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I genuinely don’t understand the logic behind insisting on a theatrical release

Getting my shot Friday and I'm gonna go see it in the theater just so I can quit thinking "goddamn, my last theater movie was Rise of Skywalker"

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I mean, I’ll be vaccinated by May 7th but there’s no way I’m going to a theater until we actually have widespread vaccination.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/heyjenbartel/status/1369750591384223746?s=20

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Getting my shot Friday and I'm gonna go see it in the theater just so I can quit thinking "goddamn, my last theater movie was Rise of Skywalker"

It's funny, my last movie in theaters was a test screening, so I'm still not allowed to say what the last movie I saw in theaters was.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Gavok posted:

It's funny, my last movie in theaters was a test screening, so I'm still not allowed to say what the last movie I saw in theaters was.

Can you say whether or not you enjoyed the experience at least?

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

muscles like this! posted:

They're already back in some areas.

Ours frustratingly closed for COVID. I love our drive in, it’s a great way to do a movie and a picnic.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

I saw TENET at my local drive in, which is a halfway decent spot but obviously nowhere near the luxury of the plush recliner seats with rumble and cocktails and real food type situation normally available in upscale theaters. My wife and I got drunk and stoned in the back of our car and had absolutely no idea what the gently caress was going on. It was great.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

SlimGoodbody posted:

I saw TENET at my local drive in, which is a halfway decent spot but obviously nowhere near the luxury of the plush recliner seats with rumble and cocktails and real food type situation normally available in upscale theaters. My wife and I got drunk and stoned in the back of our car and had absolutely no idea what the gently caress was going on. It was great.

There's only one way to watch Tenet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4od1AdB8e4

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

OK now this is a good post.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

SlimGoodbody posted:

oh no, that's just how it is

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

You'll need to watch a video or two to really get it. It's a lot of poo poo.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Lmao, hyped for this.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

CzarChasm posted:

Can you say whether or not you enjoyed the experience at least?

Not sure, but it's been well over a year so what the hell. It's a ridiculously stupid movie in a really fun way and I definitely recommend it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Gavok posted:

Not sure, but it's been well over a year so what the hell. It's a ridiculously stupid movie in a really fun way and I definitely recommend it.

This thread is now about guessing what movie you saw.

My guess is Free Guy.