Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I appreciate that even during a pandemic baseball players are still finding ludicrous ways to injure themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

R.D. Mangles posted:

I appreciate that even during a pandemic baseball players are still finding ludicrous ways to injure themselves.

it's a public service, probably the CBA should have a section on comedy injuries that carries a bonus for giving us all a chuckle

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

WATE 6 is a Tennessee TV channel, too. Odd.
The original story is from WPIX a new york channel, so that explains it. Most stories are written once and then copied around on all the sites owned by the same media conglomerate.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

R.D. Mangles posted:

It's times like these that I miss the SAS Wiki since I know it absolutely had a page for "weird injuries"

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

No Safe Word posted:

It's times like these that I miss the SAS Wiki since I know it absolutely had a page for "weird injuries"

"Players who lost a fight with inanimate objects"

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?

Maybe he was having dinner with the guy from harlem.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

https://twitter.com/JoeTrezz/status/1370091804985548805?s=20

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

https://twitter.com/lindseyadler/status/1370121928241991688?s=21

Big fan of making bases bigger, gently caress getting rid of the shift

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I think I may hate getting rid of the shift more than the runner on 2nd in extras poo poo, which is really saying something.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I think I may hate getting rid of the shift more than the runner on 2nd in extras poo poo, which is really saying something.

I really hate banning the shift. As written it also bans 4-man outfields (although, not 5-man infields) and the Rizzo bunt-charge move.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
It’s coward poo poo

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Get rid of defense, set up targets batters have to hit else it's an automatic out

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

Even with standard positioning, it seems more often than not I see a middle infielder standing in the outfield grass.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Learn to fuckin' hit oppo if you hate the shift so much. Or at least put the ball over the shift's head. gently caress changing the rules because a bunch of LHH's are :qq:ing about their gazillion pull side grounds balls turning into outs.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
legislating out the shift is dumb as hell

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I’m a monster javelin dog man, but Manfred openly declaring that he doesn’t see a point in defense or pitching via these rule changes is really pathetic. He just wants to be the Commissioner of Batting Cages.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Sydin posted:

Learn to fuckin' hit oppo if you hate the shift so much. Or at least put the ball over the shift's head. gently caress changing the rules because a bunch of LHH's are :qq:ing about their gazillion pull side grounds balls turning into outs.

I don't think the hitters are the one crying dude, it's designed to produce fewer boring ground ball outs

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Just practice dropping bunts to literally anywhere on the left side of the infield hard enough to get it past the pitcher

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Intruder posted:

Just practice dropping bunts to literally anywhere on the left side of the infield hard enough to get it past the pitcher

have you been watching me play with ty cobb on the show

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Carlosologist posted:

https://twitter.com/lindseyadler/status/1370121928241991688?s=21

Big fan of making bases bigger, gently caress getting rid of the shift

Larger bases and the step off rule are all fine. Limiting pitcher to only 2 pick offs per plate appearance is dumb pace of play poo poo. Banning the shift also dumb.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
RIP my poor King Felix.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Man, Felix might be bad enough to not make the Orioles' roster now :(

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Does video exist of this home run today?

https://twitter.com/DingerTracker/status/1370122228688433163

My brother is at the game, had both his hands full, and Hosmer's home run hit him right in the beer can. He did not get the ball.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

That's what he gets for holding a can. if he'd had a cup he could have done the ol' catch it in the cup and chug manuever

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Intruder posted:

And here I thought "gently caress bunts, hit dingers" was our creed and ethos.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Does video exist of this home run today?

Here it is. Impossible to see him get hit, unfortunately.

https://twitter.com/Padres/status/1370126912262086660

He was in the concourse, it bounced right off the concrete and into his beer.

Kevlar v2.0 fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Mar 11, 2021

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
Would you accept the proposed shift rules in exchange for an automated strike zone?

Also, bigger bases (while a good idea to reduce collisions) seems like they would logically produce more ground-outs, so I'm surprised Manfred is pushing it. And home plate getting bigger would have enormous effects on the strike zone, right?

Blind Pineapple fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Mar 11, 2021

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
What is the punishment for breaking the defensive positioning rule? They just gonna stop play until the IF moves?

Seems counterproductive.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

These changes are all loving stupid, there is no reservoir of potential fans waiting to get into the game until average game length is seven minutes faster or there are five less ground outs per game. You either like baseball or you don’t.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Mariners announced that they'll been open for 9k fans on Opening Day. With a ban on outside food. For 'safety'.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Inspector_666 posted:

What is the punishment for breaking the defensive positioning rule? They just gonna stop play until the IF moves?

Seems counterproductive.

Probably an automatic ball.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

These changes are all loving stupid, there is no reservoir of potential fans waiting to get into the game until average game length is seven minutes faster or there are five less ground outs per game. You either like baseball or you don’t.

The powers that be hate baseball. That's what's going on.

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
https://twitter.com/Angels/status/1370156853901062147

I'm kinda mixed on Vasgersian mostly because anytime I hear him I think I'm playing The Show but they could have done a lot worse

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
https://twitter.com/KenJennings/status/1370167855711358978

Doctor Skeleton
Nov 15, 2003

Mariners games are great because you can just buy the cheapest possible tickets and then sit anywhere.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Isn't Seattle like... middle of the pack for attendance MLB wise?

I know they don't pack them in because they have been bad for so long but... it's not TERRIBLE is it?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Isn't Seattle like... middle of the pack for attendance MLB wise?

I know they don't pack them in because they have been bad for so long but... it's not TERRIBLE is it?
Safeco Field is a loving gorgeous park but Seattle is surrounded by some of the most gorgeous mountains/rivers/city life/rain forests/archipelagos/snowskiing/waterskiing/imaginary Germany-themed town imaginable, so the four months of the year that aren't 42 degrees and drizzling Seattleites take full advantage of. Baseball isn't high on the list

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Shrecknet posted:

Safeco Field is a loving gorgeous park

People asserting this will never not be weird to me. Safeco is so utilitarian. Seattle doesn't have much of a skyline, which you can't see from most of the seats in the stadium and you have about the worst angle on it anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Shiroc posted:

People asserting this will never not be weird to me. Safeco is so utilitarian. Seattle doesn't have much of a skyline, which you can't see from most of the seats in the stadium and you have about the worst angle on it anyway.

The stadium itself is really neat. Shame it doesn't give a sweet shot of Rainier.