Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Darchangel posted:

Gee, I wonder why brick-and-mortar is failing?
It's not even hard to look it up - they have Walker catalogs for that.

Catalog? the parts people here all just look the part up on Rock and then cross reference whatever part number to their own inventory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Darchangel posted:

I definitely want one, and have done for a few years now, but still eyeballing the QuickJack, since I can drag that almost anywhere to use it. The garage is full right now.

It is self-contained and portable, so you can get it out of the way when not needed. Just bolts down, and has dry-break connections.

I'd like that max jax, but my floors are horribly out of level. Peaked in the middle in fact. Plus the slab is not likely a good candidate for the anchors.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

In defense of the counter jockey, exhaust gaskets can gently caress themselves repeatedly.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

StormDrain posted:

I'd like that max jax, but my floors are horribly out of level. Peaked in the middle in fact. Plus the slab is not likely a good candidate for the anchors.

That's what concrete cutting saws are for.

:black101:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Darchangel posted:

Guy at the parts counter at the local to me at the moment Ford dealer couldn't be arsed to look up the right coolant pump even though I had paid double over an email quote for the wrong part. (Ie: I am happy to give you whatever money, i want oem quality parts)
Whatever the case, I found a nice one online for a little over half of what they were charging me for with it shipped 2nd day air.

Elmnt80 posted:

In defense of the counter jockey, exhaust gaskets can gently caress themselves repeatedly.

Yes. Exhaust hardware in general is a ball-ache.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Elmnt80 posted:

When I worked the counter at AutoZone, I'd just hand the catalog to someone if they needed a specific part, or if it was slow, I'd let them behind the counter to dig through the stock gasket section. It never failed that when we were buried, some old codger would come in looking for some obscure gasket for their '38 ford with a '36 engine but a '41 exhaust manifold or some such nonsense. I'd try to help, but it always devolved into them telling me stories and me trying to get them to buy a $5 part and GTFO.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Elviscat posted:

That's what concrete cutting saws are for.

:black101:

Hard pass. I remember moving into my garage. Like fun I'm moving out to put a flat floor in it.

Also we have expansive clay soil here, so it's likely to happen again anyway unless I removed a few feet of soil and replaced it or put in a PT slab or something.

It's so out of level that I was at a good 4" disadvantage talking to my friend at a normal distance. It caught me dead in the middle of a sentence, hey wtf are you in tall shoes? I know you're not this much taller than me. My little work bench has a 2" Shim on one side.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

drat.

Sounds like my kitchen and your garage should be friends though.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

PainterofCrap posted:

So you have the distributor advance, probably a choke pull-off (If you're still using the Carter AFB...I still am, in spite of fuel bleeding out through the accelerator pump after shut-down making me eye the Edelbrock); brake booster; and something for the TH400 vacuum module...

I'd cap them all off with your gauge hooked up & try 'em one at a time. If they're all good: See if any of the intake bolts or baseplate nuts worked loose.

It's the OE Holley, but I hadn't thought about the choke. The choke and vac advance are the only vac lines. The bolts all seem snug but one has been wicking a little oil.

While I'm at it I'm going to reinstall the old points distributor and box up this unbranded knock off of the 70s/80s GM HEI beast.

Edit: Ordered the quickjack. The difference in price between Costco and QJ's own site was only $26 (it's on sale at QJ), and Costco wasn't entirely sure which power unit theirs has...they think it's the 110v, which would make sense. So I ordered from QJ to get the 12v. For accessories, Costco is definitely cheaper, followed by Home Depot, then QJ.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Mar 9, 2021

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Godholio posted:

Edit: Ordered the quickjack. The difference in price between Costco and QJ's own site was only $26 (it's on sale at QJ), and Costco wasn't entirely sure which power unit theirs has...they think it's the 110v, which would make sense. So I ordered from QJ to get the 12v. For accessories, Costco is definitely cheaper, followed by Home Depot, then QJ.

You will like the QJ. They are a great tool, if a little clunky and awkward for moving under a low vehicle, but once you get them in place they're great.

Regarding the power source, they use simple single acting hydraulic cylinders with quick connects. You could pretty easily rig up some sort of 120V or even air over hydraulic pump if you wanted. I think the 12V may need to be hooked up with battery clamps, I would think a lighter-type outlet would be too many amps.

I realize it's too late, but did you make sure the 7000 fits between the tires of your vette? My 5000 just fits the 996/911, and not a ton of room to spare. I'd be interested to know if the same one used on SUVs is going to fit the vette.. unless you have jacking points more on the underside away from the wheelbase line.

Also, I personally buy from Costco if I can, even if it costs a bit more. The security of their no dicking around return policy alone makes it worthwhile.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

slidebite fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Mar 9, 2021

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

slidebite posted:

You will like the QJ. They are a great tool, if a little clunky and awkward for moving under a low vehicle, but once you get them in place they're great.

Regarding the power source, they use simple single acting hydraulic cylinders with quick connects. You could pretty easily rig up some sort of 120V or even air over hydraulic pump if you wanted. I think the 12V may need to be hooked up with battery clamps, I would think a lighter-type outlet would be too many amps.

I realize it's too late, but did you make sure the 7000 fits between the tires of your vette? My 5000 just fits the 996/911, and not a ton of room to spare. I'd be interested to know if the same one used on SUVs is going to fit the vette.. unless you have jacking points more on the underside away from the wheelbase line.

Also, I personally buy from Costco if I can, even if it costs a bit more. The security of their no dicking around return policy alone makes it worthwhile.

My complaint with them is that they don't quite have enough room to drop the engine out of my 911 without first jacking the car up, blocking the QJ and then lifting it some more. I mean that's a pain and that bit of extra effort is nothing compared to an engine drop but that's how I justify wanting the two-post.

I mean I don't have a house yet to put one in but that's what I want.

I think I'll end up with the QJ. :'(

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Couldn't you just put some blocks on top of the QJ? Or it wouldn't be able to lift the car then?

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

mobby_6kl posted:

Couldn't you just put some blocks on top of the QJ? Or it wouldn't be able to lift the car then?

On something like a 911 you would be limited by the low ride height as far as putting larger blocks under it. On my S2000 I can’t fit the 3” blocks under the sills, only the 2” ones. The QuickJack came with both sets and the 3” can get used on my Civics, but the S2000 is just too low.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Then again, with how infrequently you'd replace an engine in a car, the effort isn't totally out of proportion.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Imperador do Brasil posted:

On something like a 911 you would be limited by the low ride height as far as putting larger blocks under it. On my S2000 I can’t fit the 3” blocks under the sills, only the 2” ones. The QuickJack came with both sets and the 3” can get used on my Civics, but the S2000 is just too low.

This is like when I need to jack up the front of my car. The front is too low so I first have to jack up the front corners individually, put RV leveling blocks under the tires, lower the corner back down and then the nose is high enough that I can get to the central jack point and lift it up and put the corners on jackstands. Maybe I should convince my dad he needs quickjacks for his old car so that I can then borrow them for my car.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I just kept a set of 2x4s with the edges cut as a ramp for the S2000

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
That's what I have to do with my stick height Miata, otherwise my low profile jack doesn't reach the crossmember. Thankfully I can usually get by with just driving into some wooden boards first though.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Elmnt80 posted:

cursedshitbox posted:

Yes. Exhaust hardware in general is a ball-ache.

Agreed.

cursedshitbox posted:

Guy at the parts counter at the local to me at the moment Ford dealer couldn't be arsed to look up the right coolant pump even though I had paid double over an email quote for the wrong part. (Ie: I am happy to give you whatever money, i want oem quality parts)
Whatever the case, I found a nice one online for a little over half of what they were charging me for with it shipped 2nd day air.

Typically, I look the part numbers up on any of the Ford dealers that sell online (Tasca Ford comes to mind) and then call up the local dealer and see if they have or will get it. I'm fortunate to be in the Dallas/Fort Worth area, and several of the dealers here are online, so I can check without even calling. For example, Five-Star Ford actually had the big-rear end snap ring I needed to fix the overdrive servo in the transmission in my Crown Vic several years ago. They're a big dealer and their parts house tends to supply local mechanics.

StormDrain posted:

Hard pass. I remember moving into my garage. Like fun I'm moving out to put a flat floor in it.

Also we have expansive clay soil here, so it's likely to happen again anyway unless I removed a few feet of soil and replaced it or put in a PT slab or something.

It's so out of level that I was at a good 4" disadvantage talking to my friend at a normal distance. It caught me dead in the middle of a sentence, hey wtf are you in tall shoes? I know you're not this much taller than me. My little work bench has a 2" Shim on one side.

Geeze. My garage isn't the greatest (same kind of bulshit "soil" - the crack down the middle is especially awesome,) but that's above and beyond. I do feel you on the moving out part, though. What you can do is just cut and pour pedestals where the posts will live, but with how much your floor is out of whack, it sounds like you would end up with some odd humps.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Darchangel posted:

Geeze. My garage isn't the greatest (same kind of bulshit "soil" - the crack down the middle is especially awesome,) but that's above and beyond. I do feel you on the moving out part, though. What you can do is just cut and pour pedestals where the posts will live, but with how much your floor is out of whack, it sounds like you would end up with some odd humps.

Yeah that's it exactly, there would be two flat spots to act as tripping hazards. At least it all slopes to the edges... I guess? My tool box and shelves all default to rolling against the walls.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

mobby_6kl posted:

It is a very low car.

Actually now that I think of it I don't have the side skirts on my SC to get in the way, so a QJ with blocks might actually get under there. If I remember right, though, the basic 2" block wasn't enough for a clean engine drop, it needed more stacking.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

slidebite posted:

The 12v needs clamps, yeah. Not a problem. And I measured under the vette. The longer version would definitely not fit, but I've got a couple inches to spare with the SLX. It's close enough I measured a couple of times lol

Edit: A tip I found was to put UHMW tape on the underside to make it easier to slide under the vehicle. I ordered some of that, too. A dude on Corvetteforum built some casters for it, but I'm not really set up to do that. Pretty slick and straightforward design, though.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Mar 10, 2021

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
You can also buy the extension that makes it as long as the longer ones. It's expensive as gently caress (as all QJ things are), but worth it. I had to buy it for my KIA optima wagon.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Dave Inc. posted:

My complaint with them is that they don't quite have enough room to drop the engine out of my 911 without first jacking the car up, blocking the QJ and then lifting it some more. I mean that's a pain and that bit of extra effort is nothing compared to an engine drop but that's how I justify wanting the two-post.

I mean I don't have a house yet to put one in but that's what I want.

I think I'll end up with the QJ. :'(
As a 996 haver, I've been giving this some thought. I'm thinking of the potential of dropping the motor and while it is under the engine bay, remove the intake and oil cooler. Taking things off top-side when the motor is out of the bay should be easy, but not sure if that would be enough? Do you know how much more height it technically needs to do it in one shot?

Godholio posted:

The 12v needs clamps, yeah. Not a problem. And I measured under the vette. The longer version would definitely not fit, but I've got a couple inches to spare with the SLX. It's close enough I measured a couple of times lol

Edit: A tip I found was to put UHMW tape on the underside to make it easier to slide under the vehicle. I ordered some of that, too. A dude on Corvetteforum built some casters for it, but I'm not really set up to do that. Pretty slick and straightforward design, though.
Not a fan of the casters, but a couple strips of UHMW is a good idea. I might do that. Glad you measured it out. It would suck if it didn't fit LOL.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

slidebite posted:

As a 996 haver, I've been giving this some thought. I'm thinking of the potential of dropping the motor and while it is under the engine bay, remove the intake and oil cooler. Taking things off top-side when the motor is out of the bay should be easy, but not sure if that would be enough? Do you know how much more height it technically needs to do it in one shot?

Not a fan of the casters, but a couple strips of UHMW is a good idea. I might do that. Glad you measured it out. It would suck if it didn't fit LOL.

For the 996 I'm really not sure, I bet the minds over at the pelican parts forums have good info on it. Mine is an '82.

I used to have a 996 and yes, there's a lot I wouldn't want to touch without an engine drop, but you can get to most of it without wanting to pull your hair out.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
https://i.imgur.com/looTXIx.mp4

Has sound.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
It's like someone made coffee with gold flecks.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Just EJ25 things

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
I thought candy apple gold paint went ON the car, not IN the oil pan.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Somebody replaced that poor guy's oil with paint. That's not very nice.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I wonder if you could substitute paint for oil in a briggs.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Panning for gold!

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Colostomy Bag posted:

I wonder if you could substitute paint for oil in a briggs.

Project farm has probably already tested that.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

I’ve been seeing this question a lot in the comments: Which household latex paint is best for the crankcase of your lawnmower? Today we’ll find out.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Big Taint posted:

I’ve been seeing this question a lot in the comments: Which household latex paint is best for the crankcase of your lawnmower? Today we’ll find out.

"Dutchboy. Claims to be extra durable - we're gonna test that!"

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

RandomPauI posted:

It's like someone made coffee with gold flecks.

I'm with the narrator - that would be an interesting paint color. "Subaru spun-rod brown"

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

How?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Has to have been dropped from a crane looks like.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Used to longshore, can’t think of a reason a top would be anywhere near the gantries. Unless it was dropped by a yard crane, and still hard to picture cause yard cranes usually only have a load while directly over a stack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Sea can't