Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Sentinel Red posted:

Still keeping a sidebet on the player being Shep and everyone's overjoyed to see you yadda yadda...

..except you're actually the spare parts evil clone who survived falling out the Normandy and smashing into a building at 600mph. Continue being friendless rear end in a top hat Shep, or make the most of the opportunity that's accidentally been handed to you and hope no one notices.

"Wait, Shepard - what happened to all your cybernetic upgrades? And why didn't you recognise Kolyat?"

Make sad puppy eyes and fess up

Push Liara out the airlock

Surprise; the Shephard you play after Project Lazarus in ME2 was also a clone! You can't bring back somebody from how dead Shephard was, but they managed to harvest most of the DNA, throw in some frog DNA to fill the gaps, and make a bunch of Shephard clones. They took the best of the bunch and called them Shepherd. Most of the rest were disposed of. A few escaped, including the one you deal with in Citadel. But there are others, oh yes, there are others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

A Clone Shephard that was just as powerful as the others, but unfortunately really lazy.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

The idea of a clone shepard, or a Shepard that is basic a synthetic creation with the "brain/soul" of the original Shepard would've been a great way to explore the Synthetic vs Organic thread in the ME games while keeping the stakes personal. I like what we got, but Mass Effect will always be a series that could've been so much more.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Bloody Pom posted:

I would play the hell out of a Mass Effect FPS, not gonna lie. As long as it wasn't mired with microtransahahaha this is EA we're talking about of course they'd Battlefront II it.

Just put Mass Effect characters in Apex Legends imo

There's already a character whose ultimate is Basically Literally Singularity already

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

EGM is really loving good

Yeah it's going to be a right bummer playing through the remaster without it

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Cross-Section posted:

Yeah it's going to be a right bummer playing through the remaster without it

definitely gonna wait a year for the modders to catch up

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

The only mods I’ve ever used for the ME games are the ones that add controller support; so I’m pumped about this remaster! It’s probably the game I’m looking forward to this year.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

chaosapiant posted:

I like what we got, but Mass Effect will always be a series that could've been so much more.

This has been my feeling since the jump. Every game has its pluses and minuses. They couldn't put it all together in any one of them. Even ME2 - which is one of my favorite games ever - loses the sense of scope and SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE of ME1.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

The generic heightmap Mako planet landings may have been mediocre at best, but drat if they didn't have some pretty skyboxes and helped make the galaxy feel massive and uncharted.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Bizarrely the closest feeling to random exploration for me was the low gravity world in MEA. That game had these little nuggets of greatness, but they were few and far between.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I'm truly unimpressed with what I've seen of the rerelease. I shouldn't be surprised, though. Effort? That's not modern Bioware.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Sankara posted:

I'm truly unimpressed with what I've seen of the rerelease. I shouldn't be surprised, though. Effort? That's not modern Bioware.

It’s a remaster and the games still look good on their own though? It looks exactly as it should more or less. :shrug:

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
It should look like a game that came out this year not 5 or 6 years ago. Otherwise, why bother?

I mean I know why to bother because people will buy it but, still, nevertheless.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
I do agree that it doesn't look dramatically better (and in some cases loses something in terms of style) and I have absolutely no faith in modern BioWare so there's a very good chance they hosed up some important aspects that won't be apparent until release, but the novelty of having all three games and nearly all the DLC in one package is appealing.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I guess, but I have them all on Origin and you play them one at a time anyway. So the novelty of finishing 1 and then not having to close the game to start 2 would be extremely short lived.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
You do you, but they had me at "expanded hair and face options."

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Doctor Nutt posted:

You do you, but they had me at "expanded hair and face options."

mods exist

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

If I can make a DudeShep that doesn't resemble a humanoid thumb I'll be satisfied. You also have to remember that there's only so much they can do wrt visual improvements, the games are still all running on Unreal 3.

The biggest thing I'm hoping for is that they disentangle ME2's recruitment missions from all the poo poo they had to pull to fit it on the 360. All of the post-Horizon recruits sans Tali have dialogue for the pre-Horizon missions and conversations, which suggests that Tali was supposed to be the only person gated behind completing said mission.

For one example, you can save edit in Legion the moment you're done with Freedom's Progress, and the only thing that breaks is its own recruitment mission if you try to bring it along.

Bloody Pom fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Mar 12, 2021

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Updated textures and tiny touches here and there, why would I spend money on that? If they, say, put ME3 gameplay into ME1, that'd be worth money.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
They are actually overhauling the combat in 1

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Yeah, they’re adding a melee button.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Bloody Pom posted:

If I can make a DudeShep that doesn't resemble a humanoid thumb I'll be satisfied. You also have to remember that there's only so much they can do wrt visual improvements, the games are still all running on Unreal 3.

The biggest thing I'm hoping for is that they disentangle ME2's recruitment missions from all the poo poo they had to pull to fit it on the 360. All of the post-Horizon recruits sans Tali have dialogue for the pre-Horizon missions and conversations, which suggests that Tali was supposed to be the only person gated behind completing said mission.

For one example, you can save edit in Legion the moment you're done with Freedom's Progress, and the only thing that breaks is its own recruitment mission if you try to bring it along.

If they had done that I think they would have mention it during the announcement. It would be a big deal.

They had my at native controller support.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I think "Mass Effect trilogy collection" is probably intended as a safe, inexpensive option for Bioware after several big swings and misses in a row. For that reason I wouldn't expect too many changes or additions.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Bloody Pom posted:

Shepard-Reaper assimilates the lovely Shepard VI and uplifts it into a fully-fledged SynthShep, bing bong Shepard is alive for Mass Effect 4. :v:

mass effect 3: no shepard, you're not a VI that thinks you're you

mass effect 3: yes, you're a VI that thinks you're shepard

genius

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Sankara posted:

Updated textures and tiny touches here and there, why would I spend money on that? If they, say, put ME3 gameplay into ME1, that'd be worth money.

this

also, hi Sankara

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
IIRC Bioware said ME1 is getting the most work put into it of the three, mostly around trying to bring the combat closer to ME2/3's. I'm skeptical of how much they can really change it though.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I imagine better gunplay and sticky cover might be the main things you could change while leaving the core gameplay and mechanics relatively similar. Maybe improved movement, too.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

TheCenturion posted:

Surprise; the Shephard you play after Project Lazarus in ME2 was also a clone! You can't bring back somebody from how dead Shephard was, but they managed to harvest most of the DNA, throw in some frog DNA to fill the gaps, and make a bunch of Shephard clones. They took the best of the bunch and called them Shepherd. Most of the rest were disposed of. A few escaped, including the one you deal with in Citadel. But there are others, oh yes, there are others.

I think this was touched on in some cut content from Mass Effect 3. If Ashley is alive she asks Shepard if he saw anything while dead. Shepard says he saw nothing. He only remembers dying in the void of space and then woke up on the table. He goes on to speculate that perhaps he's nothing more than an advanced VI clone with Shepard's memories.

I really wish I could find the clip of it.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

It's not cut content, I'm pretty sure. I think that's just one of Ashley's conversations in the base game, once she's joined the crew and you're talking about the fallout from being reanimated by Cerberus.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Android Blues posted:

It's not cut content, I'm pretty sure. I think that's just one of Ashley's conversations in the base game, once she's joined the crew and you're talking about the fallout from being reanimated by Cerberus.

It also happens as early as Mars with a romanced Kaidan. He straight up says “I literally don’t know you are even the same person I served with two years ago, like physically.” So yeah he’s not sure if Shepard’s a clone or wired up with all sorts of Cerberus control tech, or is something even more sinister just posing as a human who looks and sounds like Commander Shepard. And you have the chance to try and talk him down by bringing up things that only Shepard and Kaidan would know to try and convince him otherwise.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

The thing about 1 I most want fixed is the loot system. Why are there 9 incrementally better versions of the same assault rifle and why am I contently finding them in crashed probes.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I played me 1 last year during lockdown and the combat was poo poo, enemies just rushed you as a group completely ignoring cover and there was very little counter play.

Fond memories of entering a geth base, walking in and the entire base storms me at once.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

tithin posted:

I played me 1 last year during lockdown and the combat was poo poo, enemies just rushed you as a group completely ignoring cover and there was very little counter play.

Fond memories of entering a geth base, walking in and the entire base storms me at once.

"ENEMIES EVERYWHERE"

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Thom12255 posted:

"ENEMIES EVERYWHERE"

https://youtu.be/g4ChTL-3c3o

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

The counterplay is defensive powers and biotics! There are very few biotic immunities in ME1 so saving cooldowns on Lift and Throw for when you get rushed is crucial. Barring that, you can just be a soldier with damage reduction cooldowns and shotgun things.

I do think ME1 has the worst combat of the three, but honestly ME2's is a bit flawed in the opposite way - everything about the design massively privileges hunkering behind cover and plinking, and while you can go faster by taking risks and fighting outside cover, plinking behind a wall is nearly always a viable path of least resistance.

Some fights that's the only way to complete them, like the gunship fight against Donovan Hock. If you're playing a more active class like an adept that thrives on quickly stripping armour then using physics to kill enemies, that fight is just 5 - 10 minutes of listlessly crouching behind a wall and using Warp and Singularity on cooldown while emptying your SMG over and over again.

ME3 is the perfect balance of the two. Fantastic combat in that game.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
ME2s combat is elevated by how fun it is to swing out of cover and lightning fast pop some Vorcha’s head off with the Phalanx

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Speaking of Vorcha does anyone have that old meme that was a pie chart of the daily routine of a Vorcha where the largest things were like, “breaking you”, “learning gavorn’s tricks” and “dying”?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Definitely the biggest change Bioware could make to fix up the combat in ME1 is tweak the enemy AI such that they do not all just slowly but surely rush your position. It makes sense for some enemies like Krogan to close the distance and try to fight in close quarters, but it's weird how you'll get to sections that are clearly meant to be long range shootouts, but the enemies just ignore all the cover points and rush you.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
There’s some things like the biotic renegade group where you’re just ragdolled repeatedly while they’re rushing you and sucks poo poo. There was a thing posted about how they’re changing up the Benezia fight specifically to alleviate some of that so maybe some of those changes will work their way into others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Julius CSAR posted:

There’s some things like the biotic renegade group where you’re just ragdolled repeatedly while they’re rushing you and sucks poo poo. There was a thing posted about how they’re changing up the Benezia fight specifically to alleviate some of that so maybe some of those changes will work their way into others.

But glitching into a spaghettified mess on the stairs when you get thrown into them was one of the worst best parts of ME1.