Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I wonder how fun it would be to take an old broken Walkman and throw a raspberry pi into it for some rad exercise playlist action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

If you can't handle me at my

You don't deserve me at my

Paul McCartney, the ultimate driving music

Harsh, but fair
vvvvv

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Rolo posted:

I wonder how fun it would be to take an old broken Walkman and throw a raspberry pi into it for some rad exercise playlist action.

Well, considering that taking anything and throwing a Raspberry Pi into it is always the lamest possible thing to do in any given situation, I would say it would be fun for you, a person who even considers such a plan of action, and horribly unfun for everyone else you "show and tell" about it.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
Not sure if I can really justify this purchase, but I'm enjoying it

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

"Maybe some dolphins have sex for pleasure."

Rolo posted:

It would be way cooler to make casettes with an embedded mp3 player and microSD slot that just worked in a tape player. Time to found a hipster startup i guess.

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

Got one of these bad boys

Still getting additional supplies to export them to my computer 1:1. Some sample shots for now:

e:

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Well, considering that taking anything and throwing a Raspberry Pi into it is always the lamest possible thing to do in any given situation, I would say it would be fun for you, a person who even considers such a plan of action, and horribly unfun for everyone else you "show and tell" about it.

This is a weirdly hostile take. If you want to put a pi in it, you should try it.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Phthisis posted:

It would be way cooler to make casettes with an embedded mp3 player and microSD slot that just worked in a tape player. Time to found a hipster startup i guess.

Obligatory Techmoan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppo3IgHWDzA&t=367s

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

KingColliwog posted:

I'm trying to resist upgrading my Chinese cleaver and this isn't helping!

I know that's not a cleaver but still…

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

KingColliwog posted:

Nice tools are always justified in my opinion

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Life is either too short or too long to be using a tool you resent when you could be using the one you want.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Hey whatever happened to you today, I didn’t do it.

Phthisis posted:

I actually had one of these back in like 2002. It had about 64mb onboard and I used it in my 1994 Camry. It even had its own headphone out and onboard buttons so you could listen to it without a player. Way ahead of its time.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Rolo posted:

Hey whatever happened to you today, I didn’t do it.

It took them like four hours to remove the Pi.

logical fallacy
Mar 16, 2001

Dynamic Symmetry
I think the TV sound is so you can mute the TV and use headphones instead.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

That... actually makes a lot of sense. Yeah that's probably it.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"

Subjunctive posted:

Happy birthday!

Bottom Liner posted:

That’s cool as hell. Post pics when you build it and get a roll through it.

My birthday gift was some Korean food and a Covid shot :)

Hey, thank you both! It's actually not until next week, but the seller came up yesterday and I snagged it. I will post pics if I manage to get it to work!

Also, the Covid shot is actually a great present, hope it didn't give you much side-effect trouble. Teacher friend here said half her school had to miss next day due to fever and fatigue, which made things a bit chaotic...

Shellception has a new favorite as of 22:29 on Mar 11, 2021

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Android Apocalypse posted:

I know that's not a cleaver but still…

Check out antique shops. I got a carbon steel, made in Hong Kong cleaver for $40 that just needed a sharpen and it rules. Easily my favorite knife.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

BONESAWWWWWW posted:

Got one of these bad boys

Still getting additional supplies to export them to my computer 1:1. Some sample shots for now:

e:

This is a weirdly hostile take. If you want to put a pi in it, you should try it.

Are Gameboy Cameras cool now? I still have two. I got one when it was new and then much later I was at Toys R Us and they were on clearance for like $10 and my parents let me get another. I was insufferable with this thing trying to take pictures of all my family. I wonder if any of the pictures survive. I assume they used little batteries like Pokemon games did? If so probably not.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

OSU_Matthew posted:

If you don’t mind me asking, how much did those woods set you back and what does property tax look like?

This right here is the penultimate dream... very jealous!

I paid $27,000 US for ten acres and my taxes are $39 a year...

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

Humerus posted:

Are Gameboy Cameras cool now? I still have two. I got one when it was new and then much later I was at Toys R Us and they were on clearance for like $10 and my parents let me get another. I was insufferable with this thing trying to take pictures of all my family. I wonder if any of the pictures survive. I assume they used little batteries like Pokemon games did? If so probably not.

"Cool" depending on who you're asking. There is a very small but friendly community for them. People are 3D printing mounts for real camera lenses now though, and the gameboy printer has been reverse engineered so you can fake it with an arduino easily enough.
But I never had one growing up, so I'm just having some fun with some shots around the neighborhood.

They do use batteries for saves (I think all cartridges do?). But they should be easy enough to replace if they die.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Imperador do Brasil posted:

I paid $27,000 US for ten acres and my taxes are $39 a year...

Uh, what state?

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Bottom Liner posted:

Uh, what state?

Pennsylvania. We still have a lot of land at reasonable prices out in the boonies. I don’t plan on developing the land beyond outdoors-type use at this point, so I didn’t have it perc tested or any of that crap which helped with the sale; no conditions to be able to back out. I admittedly made an insanely lowball offer (original asking was $49k) and the seller accepted with zero negotiation. The sellers are from out of state and did everything by proxy so we were even out of the lawyer’s office in under 30 minutes. Once the snow melts I’ll be able to assess the lay of the land better, and I might pop an off-grid cabin in up there for more comfort year-round than a tent.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Seconding that question and do you have as being used for agriculture or something? Good lord.

e:fb?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Out of state owners and a no questions asked low ball sale? Enjoy your cursed woods full of witches and carpenter ants. I'm told they call that the "Damaging Duo" in woods buying circles.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Solice Kirsk posted:

Out of state owners and a no questions asked low ball sale? Enjoy your cursed woods full of witches and carpenter ants. I'm told they call that the "Damaging Duo" in woods buying circles.

Good luck finding woods more cursed than the GoonCamp woods.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

OP did you buy a stretch of woods with an active coal mine fire under it?

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Probably a radioactive dump site.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

ReidRansom posted:

I'm no expert (and my parents would NEVER have bought me something as fancy as a proper Sony back in the 80s so I have no memories of such a feature from the time either), but I get the sense it was maybe one of those Japan-only sort of features. And still I'm not really 100% sure what the actual benefit of it would be. News and sports maybe, though even with sports the PbP from the television announcers is much different than radio, and with any other type of program you would miss so much context from the visuals. Your average Japanese TV show with no video is basically just a never ending stream of えぇぇ~ from the panel alongside wacky sound effects.

But it was neat so I bought it :kiddo:

I know that Radio Shack sold portable radios that would get TV, and some that would receive air traffic.

My best guess for the TV would be to catch sports that isn't on the radio when you're working somewhere you can't watch TV (the garage, the workplace), or if you're an old person who needs the TV to be really loud but you don't want your family to hate you, you listen through your radio with headphones. This'd be in the days before everything was close captioned as well.

Example: page 20 of this catalog: https://www.radioshackcatalogs.com/flipbook/1991_radioshack_catalog.html

doctorfrog has a new favorite as of 10:14 on Mar 12, 2021

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Solice Kirsk posted:

Both of these things are my current aesthetic.

Warbird posted:

OP did you buy a stretch of woods with an active coal mine fire under it?

No, but that’s not too far away to be honest (30 minutes).

SEKCobra posted:

Probably a radioactive dump site.

I would have noticed big patches of steaming snow, but I’ll keep an eye out for any mutated deer or turkeys.

Wall of text incoming

Some reasons for this being so cheap are as follows:

The land was subdivided in 1981 in order to make a housing development on the hill top. In that time, only 3 of the 18 ten-acre-or-more lots have been built on. It’s outside of a small nowhere town in central PA, nowhere near Philly or Pitt and not close to the NJ border so it’s pretty much just known to locals.

The previous owners of my lot (13! Goes with the witch theme) bought it in ‘91 and did no development on it save possibly what looks to be a level pad on the upper three-acre portion, to the right of the “road” in the picture. I will have to assess what that situation is when it’s snow-free.

The road access is limited. There is a very steep private dirt road that goes up the hill on one side, and the track that cuts through some of the lots from the other side, shown in the picture. My wife and I took our truck down the track earlier in the week and it’s NARROW. Might be more suitable for my dirt bikes or a four-wheeler than a truck. I was getting out and guiding her around and over obstacles most of the way.

The site had been on MLS sites like realtor.com but the listed realtor was very hard to reach. I called several numbers several times before going with another realtor from the same company after finding their website. The realty office was listed as being in the same town my kids go to school in (five minutes away), so I drove over to talk in person. The office was closed with no other information, and my guy I ended up dealing with told us that they’d moved to a totally different town but never updated their website.

The lot had been for sale for some time; someone had previously made an offer on the land before going up and seeing it. They assumed it was a different lot on the same hill because the lots have no real addresses until you build on them. When they realized which lot was actually for sale, they decided they didn’t want to deal with the verticality of it and rescinded. My seller just wanted to be rid of it after 30 years.

Imperador do Brasil has a new favorite as of 12:33 on Mar 12, 2021

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Congrats, I would love a remote AF property.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Wall of text incoming

Very cool! Appreciate the extra info!

I’ve been looking pretty heavily at getting 5-10 acres to put a cabin or even just park an rv on, ideally within 2-3 hours of where I live or plan to move, so it’s not so onerous to get there for weekends. Almost pulled the trigger on a similar place I hiked by that wound up being too difficult to access by vehicle. Spent 20 minutes trying to get to the hilltop on the steep rutted out dirt drive, but kept sliding back down on the final stretch and couldn’t quite get up to the top so I passed. West Virginia has been in my search radius, but not PA even though I love Ohiopyle and Allegheny NF. If you wind up posting a thread somewhere or whatnot please do keep us updated!

For content, I ordered a Blichmann Cornical for fermenting beer!

Basically the idea is you can ferment under pressure and in one vessel. After the primary fermentation is done, I can drain the trub without having to move it which reduces oxidation and contamination risk, then I can flip it over, remove the cone, and put a keg bottom on to complete secondary fermentation under pressure, so the beer carbonates naturally instead of having to do priming sugar and extra waiting on bottling or forcing CO2 in. Should result in more and better beer!

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Android Apocalypse posted:

You should give in!

SpartanIvy posted:

Nice tools are always justified in my opinion

I think you're right and that's kind of how I rationalized it. I rarely regret buying expensive tools that look nice and make tasks enjoyable instead of then being chores.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
I bought an old label maker off eBay:

It's still pretty accurate though:

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

OSU_Matthew posted:

That sounds absolutely phenomenal! How much of the go ferm and fermaid k did you need for this batch?

7ish grams of go ferm, 5ish grams of fermaid. I didn't grab the right scale, the kitchen scale doesn't do single digit gram resolution very well, and I didn't think to go to the garage to grab the scale I use for measuring pre workout powders. Used almost 9 lbs of honey and had an OG of 1.112, so I expect it to end up semi dry without back sweetening. Ferment been goin strong for two weeks. This got me to finally wire up the heater in my fermentation fridge, as the fridge temp was dipping a little too low at night with no heater, and now I have a pretty rock solid temp. Been keeping it at 69°F for the meme number. Still need to tune the control loop though, cause it's a little too simplistic and I didn't put anything in yet to keep it from ping ponging the compressor and heater.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
I have been wanting a pair of KEF LS50 forever, so when a pair in Titanium Grey showed up for a reasonable price, I picked them up immediately!

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

New watch

New portable case since I've been working out of town a lot and want to bring some of my modular stuff with me. My current wood case is way too unwieldy.

New module for new case. Very harsh sounding in the best possible way!

Hoping this gets me out of my current guitar playing rut

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Spent the last year or so finishing my basement to turn into two additional rooms from basically bare foundation. Lots of youtube tutorials, power tools, and borrowing trucks later I'm almost done. One of the rooms I'm turning into a dedicated home theater which is something I've dreamed of having basically my whole life. On the drywall phase but I pulled the trigger on all the equipment. Tested it out already and just kinda sat there in awe. With HBO Max releasing everything theatrical day one I picked a hell of a year to do this.

BenQ HT3550 4K Projector. Didn't buy a screen yet but after measuring it'll be about 100".

Jamo S809 5 channel in walnut

Pair of Jamo Atmos speakers which sit on top of the standing speakers, pretty neat.

Onkyo TX 4K 7.2 Atmos Receiver

:homebrew: :homebrew: :homebrew:

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

For the Kanye divorce fund.

I'm not good with money.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Nice sneakers

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

For a clown to wear