Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

speakign of VRO

https://www.reddit.com/r/X4Foundations/comments/m2sh7d/vro_30_update_summary_sneak_peak/

update notes for VRO 3.0, which should be ready for launch since he had early access

Edit: looks like ventures will be disabled at CoH launch as well while they redo the venture system

ok i guess VRO isnt needed for good gate battles, this showdown is going on on a fresh game with no VRO like 30 mins in:

im prettuy sure every ANT/ARG ship has turned up to this fight, im getting like 20 fps

queeb fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Mar 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Ventures will be disabled in 4.0

https://www.reddit.com/r/X4Foundations/comments/m2wpig/important_message_regarding_ventures_in_400/

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Oh no!

Anyways

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I know it's not really what this game is about, but I love asynchronous multiplayer stuff in basically every game developers care to shove it into. I'm really curious what these new features are gonna be. It will probably be something underwhelming, but if it something really cool 'd probably pick the game back up.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
I generally do too, don't get me wrong but I think the dev team is very small and this is their most ambitious game yet - however they've spread themselves very thin across all of the systems they've had to implement and fix. The amount of QoL changes in the beta branches should absolutely have happened before Ventures IMHO.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

their new venture system needs to work with mods or its gonna be DoA.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
The choice between Ventures and not waiting 1000 real hours for a 4 star pilot is a hard one.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
How does credit transfer from stations work? I have one station that will send me credits when it hits 3x the operating budget, but another station is 4x the budget and counting with no results.

I've looked around online and there doesn't seem to be consensus either.

Also correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like using smaller storages would be better? I started off using larges for everything and that just inflated the operating budget so I get paid less often. Assuming getting paid is based on operating budget I mean.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Generally when you start a new game all the factions start with big tooled up fleets and immediately start brawling in the car park with everyone they can get their hands on. It settles down once they blow each other up a bunch.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Travic posted:

How does credit transfer from stations work? I have one station that will send me credits when it hits 3x the operating budget, but another station is 4x the budget and counting with no results.

I've looked around online and there doesn't seem to be consensus either.

Also correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like using smaller storages would be better? I started off using larges for everything and that just inflated the operating budget so I get paid less often. Assuming getting paid is based on operating budget I mean.

Yeah I'm not sure how it works exactly but it does follow the suggested budget in someway.

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010
The new "Repeat Order" function in beta 4.0 kind of allows low level trading again. You can specify one or several sectors where your trader buys a ware and then specify one or several sectors to sell to. If you need more rep with a faction you can just set a few traders to buy and sell medical supplies in all their sectors. And the best is that you can do it with only one star. I think this might also work with miners.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Huh that's a small thing but apparently weapon slots are now typed?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1d160OYJxI&t=689s

As in, like X3 they can fit certain classes of weapons.

I know that functionality has been in for a while but there hasn't been a UI for it and I don't think I've seen it used outside of edge cases and some mods.

E: also lmao the german UI is compound word hell.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Mar 13, 2021

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
I tried to play XRebirth recently and for some reason the dust clouds completely obliterated my performance so hard I had to stop playing. Which is weird because they weren't an issue at launch but now they are?

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Can't believe how unfair Egosoft is being and making me wait until Tuesday.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

DreadUnknown posted:

I tried to play XRebirth recently and for some reason the dust clouds completely obliterated my performance so hard I had to stop playing. Which is weird because they weren't an issue at launch but now they are?

edit: wrong game

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
If you were waiting for X4 to go on sale, now's a good opportunity: GMG has the base game and collector's edition on sale at $26 and $50, respectively. These are keys for use on Steam. This is the lowest price that the collector's edition has been.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Naked Bear posted:

If you were waiting for X4 to go on sale, now's a good opportunity: GMG has the base game and collector's edition on sale at $26 and $50, respectively. These are keys for use on Steam. This is the lowest price that the collector's edition has been.

Also Rebirth Collectors Edition is $11.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

the big rear end star wars mod just updated.

https://old.reddit.com/r/X4Foundations/comments/m4hydv/x4_sw_interworlds_patch_048_released/

tons of changes, and a ton more ships:

New ships (factions now use them as well):
· Mandalorian Keldabe battleship (Mandos) – model from Elratie
· Imperial light cruiser (Empire)
· Arquitens light cruiser (CSA)
· Drednought heavy cruiser(NRL, REB, CSA, Mandos)
· Vindicator cruiser (Empire, replaced Acclamator II which is now available only from CSA and Mandos) – model from Elratie
· Immobilizer 418 (Empire) – model from Elratie
· Harbor-class Resupplier ship (all factions)
· Royal Guard TIE Interceptor (Empire)
· Delta 7 interceptor (CSA)
· Eta-2 Actis interceptor (CSA)
· Gozanti civilian trader variant

also has the bridges for the star destroyers now.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Nice of them to put boobs on the star destroyer.

(I know they're gravity well generators but come on)

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

they didn't invent that, that's something from star wars

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oh yeah I know because I played the homeworld star wars mod and that was the hyperspace interdictor but it still looks funny.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
I played a bit of Rebirth last night and it was interesting seeing the parts that X4 took and expanded on and the ones it left behind. But the biggest achievement of X4 for sure is the UI. Rebirths UI is complete trash. It looks like they were going to release it on console at some point and thus based everything on making it look right on a tv. Also the fact that X4's stations and ships are all connected seamlessly without ever taking control away from the player through loading screens or on rails cutscenes really makes a big difference. I forgot that Rebirths stations are just rooms with no windows to see what's going on outside. And the Skunk's cockpit just sucks, it feels like it's hiding 50% of the exterior.

Also, all the NPC's are incredibly rude all the time for no reason. I don't know why the devs thought that would be a good idea.

Thom12255 fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Mar 14, 2021

Banemaster
Mar 31, 2010
I already pulled trigger at GMG's sale on the regular version, but I still think I should ask this for later and for other people:

How necessary are the DLCs? Do they just add more of the same? Are there interesting mechanics in them? Anything noteworthy?

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
I have a small fleet of Odysseus destroyers and it's awesome, but man turrets cannot hit S or M class ships.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Having just picked this up, I'm glad to see that my X3 strategy of "google where the abandoned ships are and go grab something expensive to sell" remains a viable starting tactic. Now I just need to figure out what to with the money from this Odysseus. Time to figure out how to get trading ships auto-running in this one, I suppose.

timn
Mar 16, 2010

Banemaster posted:

I already pulled trigger at GMG's sale on the regular version, but I still think I should ask this for later and for other people:

How necessary are the DLCs? Do they just add more of the same? Are there interesting mechanics in them? Anything noteworthy?

I would definitely recommend the Split DLC. The base game is honestly a little narrow on content, and the DLC really helps to flesh things out. You get two main things:

1. The Split race with their ships, weapons, sectors, etc. Technically speaking this is "more of the same" in the sense that it adds additional content of the same variety as the base game, but that's really underselling it. The Split stuff is some of the coolest and really helps the game feel much more well-rounded in overall content.

2. A bunch of story missions that add some fun variety and give you long-term goals to work towards. This type of content is almost entirely missing from the base game, and its addition helps the game feel much more feature-complete.

I will say that X4 didn't quite click for me at launch, but revisiting with the Split DLC last year got me totally hooked. Hopes are high for the next DLC which releases in two days because everything that's been previewed so far looks really slick.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Travic posted:

I have a small fleet of Odysseus destroyers and it's awesome, but man turrets cannot hit S or M class ships.

What weapons are you trying to use for those turrets? Keep in mind that the Argon versions of most turrets have something like double the tracking. Also consider the speed of the projectile as well.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Taerkar posted:

What weapons are you trying to use for those turrets? Keep in mind that the Argon versions of most turrets have something like double the tracking. Also consider the speed of the projectile as well.

I used a mix of Paranid M pulse, bolt, and beam. Just to try them all out. Of the three the pulse turrets seemed to kill fighers the best. But it sounds like Argon are better? I really wanted to put flak turrets on there, but I guess Paranid don't have flak.

Is it worth it to mix and match?

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Flak is the best against small ships.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Banemaster posted:

I think the expansion of the universe is the best part of the DLC, with both of them the universe will be twice as big as in the OG game. And the mission plot lines really give you a reason to keep going after you've made your first few hundred million.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

StarkRavingMad posted:

Having just picked this up, I'm glad to see that my X3 strategy of "google where the abandoned ships are and go grab something expensive to sell" remains a viable starting tactic. Now I just need to figure out what to with the money from this Odysseus. Time to figure out how to get trading ships auto-running in this one, I suppose.

trade ships need a 3 start pilot which is a long time investment without mods. i usually take that 6 mill from the odysseus and buy a bunch of mining ships to sector mine in the different npc areas, and save some to get a refined metals station running asap as soon as you hit 10 rep with a faction and can get the blueprint

im so hype to start a new game tuesday

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Less Fat Luke posted:

Thanks. I'll have to send my fleet over to Argon Prime for a refit then.

And build a shipyard soon to automate it so I don't have to send every new ship over there manually.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
Is building lots of smaller stations around the universe more interesting and rewarding than a mega HQ that does everything?

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

yes i find it that way. setting up refinery and hull part stations is a good money maker anywhere. its also 10+ minutes per module to build, so a mega station can take days and days real life to build.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

god drat it I swore off egosoft after rebirth, buuuuut this sale is looking pretty good

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
I asked VideoGames to update the thread logo here because I think after a year and a half of effort this is a decidedly not poo poo game. Still janky, but I can't stop playing.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Less Fat Luke posted:

This is very true, although from memory (I haven't played for a few months or so) that can result in friendly-fire against NPC ships, which can get you in hot water. So be careful about blasting a fighter with your space-shotgun right next to a space station, or something!

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Yeah very true, which makes the "Apologize for Attack" mod another necessary QoL addon.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

queeb posted:

trade ships need a 3 start pilot which is a long time investment without mods. i usually take that 6 mill from the odysseus and buy a bunch of mining ships to sector mine in the different npc areas, and save some to get a refined metals station running asap as soon as you hit 10 rep with a faction and can get the blueprint

im so hype to start a new game tuesday

Cool! Really appreciate the advice, I’ll start by getting some miners rolling then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Travic posted:

I used a mix of Paranid M pulse, bolt, and beam. Just to try them all out. Of the three the pulse turrets seemed to kill fighers the best. But it sounds like Argon are better? I really wanted to put flak turrets on there, but I guess Paranid don't have flak.

Is it worth it to mix and match?

Flak is an Argon-specific weapon. IIRC every faction has at least one specific weapon.