Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

nitsuga posted:

Did you have the whole story figured out at that point? Genuinely asking, as I was surprised by LiS to the end, but that is nothing new for me, I don’t even know the end of my sentences sometimes. I can’t comment on how this game develops, but the first chapter might give you an idea if it’s for you or not at least.

i'm curious myself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer
Fights in Tight Spaces is not in itself a free game, but it has a free prologue on Steam. It is a very stylish and good game of melee fighting and deckbuilding. You play as a special agent who fights criminal gangs in various confined environments using fists, kicks and all kinds of martial arts moves. It is a lot of fun.

Try the free demo/prologue, it is a good sample of the game. The prologue alone is so much fun that it deserves a mention here. The whole game is in the ballpark of 25€. It has more levels, enemies, cards, environments and decks.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

nitsuga posted:

Did you have the whole story figured out at that point? Genuinely asking, as I was surprised by LiS to the end, but that is nothing new for me, I don’t even know the end of my sentences sometimes. I can’t comment on how this game develops, but the first chapter might give you an idea if it’s for you or not at least.

this is a difficult question to answer without getting too far into spoilers for an unrelated game, but in one word: yes. i later confirmed all of these assumptions with spoilers, even though i didn't play the game past ep 3.

i had figured out who the primary antagonist was just from basic genre-savviness and the interplay of the game's primary mechanic with its cast.

the ultimate conflict of a personal desire versus a communal good was foreshadowed so hard at the end of episode 3 that the bat signal awarded it points for clarity.

the lack of reverence for a lot of the themes it was handling (that, for example, butterfly effect, 11.22.63, and a lot of other literature/books waste a lot of time reasoning about and handling) started out fairly clear and got more clear as time went on. time travel and the associated effects have a lot of serious implications about hubris, agency denial to other people, and the problems with centralizing the definition of "good outcome". LiS starts out at least paying lip service to these conundrums but it quickly gets subsumed inside of the MC's self-driven internal monologue.

the basic issue i had/have with LiS is that it started out as a number of thoughtful things - be it a coming of age story, an exploration of friendship and sexuality, a meditation on choices and the effects they have - but by the end of episode 3, it's flatly clear that it's a superhero story and the main differences between Max and the Scarlet Witch are the particulars of their powers and the fact that Max is REALLY bad at this from lack of experience.

to me this seems like the writers just ran out of road. they had to keep jacking up the stakes from episode to episode to meet the expectations of the video game consumer, who is usually a distinctly different person from a movie or a book consumer. i don't ascribe any bad adjectives to it, but it's absolutely not an experience i am interested in duplicating.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Mar 11, 2021

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
Reminder that Surviving Mars is this week's free Epic Game Store game. It is a repeat so if you've been downloading these weekly games on a regular basis you probably already have it. I assume it's popping back up so they can promote their next Surviving game, Surviving the Aftermath.

Surviving Mars is a fun, chill sim game, probably worth at least checking out for a bit imo. But really, I just have to give a quick shout-out to the soundtrack by George Strezov. https://open.spotify.com/album/1nbjCCws7cO9kovVBn7Wo8?si=4WL_dQ5gTRWlgnQmMjKybw

I'm a trained musician and my five most played songs on my Spotify Wrapped for 2020 were just five songs from this soundtrack. I realize it's not for everyone, but if you like chill synth music that's both rhythmic and lowkey, definitely check it out.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

SlightlyMad posted:

Fights in Tight Spaces is not in itself a free game, but it has a free prologue on Steam. It is a very stylish and good game of melee fighting and deckbuilding. You play as a special agent who fights criminal gangs in various confined environments using fists, kicks and all kinds of martial arts moves. It is a lot of fun.

Try the free demo/prologue, it is a good sample of the game. The prologue alone is so much fun that it deserves a mention here. The whole game is in the ballpark of 25€. It has more levels, enemies, cards, environments and decks.

Just tried this: it's like the Into the Breach of barroom brawls.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Det_no posted:

Metro 2033 is free to keep right now. The original Metro 2033, which I think is not usually available?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/43110/Metro_2033/

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

timp posted:

Reminder that Surviving Mars is this week's free Epic Game Store game. It is a repeat so if you've been downloading these weekly games on a regular basis you probably already have it. I assume it's popping back up so they can promote their next Surviving game, Surviving the Aftermath.

Also, a reminder that Surviving Mars has a free piece of DLC.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

timp posted:

I'm a trained musician and my five most played songs on my Spotify Wrapped for 2020 were just five songs from this soundtrack. I realize it's not for everyone, but if you like chill synth music that's both rhythmic and lowkey, definitely check it out.

Thanks for taking the time to point this out -- I'm actually gonna launch this game because of this!

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Little Kite is the next Indiegala Freebie:

https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256694900/movie480.webm?t=1504861155

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

I usually don't grab these but I appreciate your posts having links and trailers so I can at least check them out!

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

^^^^^^ Thanks, I appreciate it. It's been nice having something I look forward to doing while I'm unemployed. It also helps that I can just copy paste the video URL from a steam page and the forums have no problem embedding it.

As far as content goes, 2 new games just got added to Prime Gaming today:

Optica:

https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256729406/movie480.webm?t=1539362875

Swimsanity! Couch Party Edition:

https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256789106/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1592068896

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Another Indiegala Freebie, Gray Cat got added today:

https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256710351/movie480.webm?t=1521220963

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The 1992 Italian adventure game Nippon Safes Inc. has been declared freeware by the original authors, and can now be downloaded from the ScummVM website, which, incidentally enough, can be used to run the game on pretty much every platform imaginable.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Sony are giving away a ton of games in the coming weeks, no PS+ required

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1372243741877149696

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Also a couple of Tomb Raider games are free in return for your Twitter engagement

https://twitter.com/SquareEnix/status/1372242764084117508?s=19

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Is Guardian of Light 4 player too? I've played through temple of Osiris twice now with friends, it's good fun.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Mushroom Cats 2 is the next Indiegala Freebie:

https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256782306/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1587248815

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

davebo posted:

Is Guardian of Light 4 player too? I've played through temple of Osiris twice now with friends, it's good fun.

Just 2, I believe.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Trust me to buy a physical copy of Zero Dawn a few months ago. It was only $20, but still.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

JustJeff88 posted:

Trust me to buy a physical copy of Zero Dawn a few months ago. It was only $20, but still.
Did you buy the complete edition?

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

bowmore posted:

Did you buy the complete edition?

You piqued my curiosity, so I checked and it does say 'Complete Edition' right on the disc.

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

repiv posted:

Also a couple of Tomb Raider games are free in return for your Twitter engagement

https://twitter.com/SquareEnix/status/1372242764084117508?s=19
Has anyone gotten a DM yet? Not sure if they only send them out after the event or if I'm doing something wrong.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

The Fall is free on EGS this week, Creature in the Well next week

Kuule hain nussivan posted:

Has anyone gotten a DM yet? Not sure if they only send them out after the event or if I'm doing something wrong.

I got one but it took a while, maybe it's not automated and some poor interns are sending them out manually?

:rip:

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?
https://twitter.com/SquareEnix/status/1372568259447300101

Good thing I've got all these other free games to not play while I wait.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Dumb question: if I already have HZD on disk and I add it to my playstation account, will my saves transfer?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

George RR Fartin posted:

Dumb question: if I already have HZD on disk and I add it to my playstation account, will my saves transfer?

They should. My bloodborne saves did

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

Saves should work as long as it's the same version of the game. Saves from a base game with DLC add-ons typically will not work with a GotY edition.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Just double checked my playstation account. I bought horizon base game on launch and then bought the goty digital on sale

Saves carried over

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1372600323542450177?s=19

Don't bother with Twitter, just get them

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
think they're still working on it, when you type in lara croft into the search bar it's listed as free but when i go to the actual store page it still says you need to pay for it

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

I already have The Fall on steam, I think I got it in a humble bundle a long time ago. Even more amazing, is that I played it, AND completed it. So it's probably worth the install.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
Neither of those are showing up as free on UK steam?

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

These links aren't free for me in the US.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I know it technically isn't free, as you're paying for a service, but EA Play got added to xbox PC game pass. So it's kind of like you're getting EA Play for free. There's lots of cool games on it. You just pick a game that's on EA Play in the xbox app, it prompts you to install the EA desktop app and then you link your account and you've got EA Play linked to your gamepass subscription.

Also, you can get PC game pass for free by doing the bing rewards, so this all can be free as in beer if you put the effort in.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Mar 19, 2021

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Deadlight: Director's Cut is currently free on GOG... IF you own any other Deep Silver games on the service. It'll show up as free in your cart if you're eligible.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I own Saint's Row 2 and one of the Metro Redux games, yet Deadlight wasn't showing for free. But browsing between my game list, the publisher's list, and back to the store page suddenly made it work somehow.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Saoshyant posted:

I own Saint's Row 2 and one of the Metro Redux games, yet Deadlight wasn't showing for free. But browsing between my game list, the publisher's list, and back to the store page suddenly made it work somehow.

It was this way for me as well. A bit weird but it worked.

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Same, only showed free once looking at the actual cart

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

The Kins posted:

Deadlight: Director's Cut is currently free on GOG... IF you own any other Deep Silver games on the service. It'll show up as free in your cart if you're eligible.

I am eligible since I apparently own that game (Humble giveaway -> GOG Connect?). I'll pay it forward to someone who does not. Either reply to this post with your email _OR_ reply and send me a forum PM.
They're not giving me a key/code, I need an email address to gift it. Edit: "The offer is valid until 22nd March 2021, 2 PM UTC."

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Mar 20, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Kuule hain nussivan posted:

Weirdly enough, they switched from DMs to Tweet replies, but magic Tweet replies that are invisible to everybody except you.