Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I managed to punch them to death in one try this time around, i was very happy about this. My first time it took like 26 attempts or something like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
nothing in DS2 is as bad as Capra Demon. maybe the Gank Squad in sunken city dlc? though that's dlc. Ruin Sentinels arent even a mandatory boss (yes I know Capra isnt either, but he's on the standard path).

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
The sentinels just melt to strike weapons, especially the Craftsman's Hammer. It's almost too good - so far in my run I've downed almost every boss on my first attempt. Not Vendrick, though. gently caress Vendrick.

I also have found out that powerstancing the Fire Longsword and doing the R2 attack works really well against NPC phantoms.

ymgve fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Mar 12, 2021

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

betterinsodapop posted:

I've gotten to the Lost Bastille and am kind of losing my steam. Can't find any co-op summons, and I just keep getting wrecked by either the Pursuer and his gang of dogs and archers or the trio of Ruin Sentinels. Was having a blast up until now.

Maybe give one of the other paths a try if you haven't done them all. Have you found the blacksmith in LB?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
It can be a pain, but if you can stay on that top platform you can knock out one of the Sentinels without the other two getting involved.

You've also got two NPC summons around that will help a bunch. Why not even the fight up.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Alright, those red phantom alonne captains in ng+ iron keep are scary

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Also in classic fashion complaining gets me somewhere and I got a string of Old Chaos summons, including temporarily ending up in the orbit of a farming group. Though it's definitely drying up again. I think I'll call it after I get the Loyce Armor. Only 3 more souls for that.

Edit: How about that, solo farming actually got results.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Mar 12, 2021

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

John Murdoch posted:

It can be a pain, but if you can stay on that top platform you can knock out one of the Sentinels without the other two getting involved.

You've also got two NPC summons around that will help a bunch. Why not even the fight up.

The box summons turn it from a really tough fight to a cakewalk. Each individual sentinel is easy, and the npcs can draw aggro for days.

For the lost bastille pursuer make sure you jump into the neighbouring room through the window to take out the archer and dogs first.

DangerousSmells
Jan 3, 2021
I’m on my first play through and reading through the last couple of pages has made me realize that I’ve done everything out of order. It’s starting to make sense why the past few areas I’ve completed have seemed super easy despite being terrible at these games.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I rather like how non linear DS2 can be. Hell you can go straight into the gutter after you finish the forest if you want.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

Charles Bukowski posted:

I rather like how non linear DS2 can be. Hell you can go straight into the gutter after you finish the forest if you want.

Same, the run to get the agape ring at 30k soul memory is a fun little challenge. I think my favorite part is you can get a +10 weapon without killing a single boss (though cheesing dragon rider is faster).

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I think fighting the Dragonrider fairly is cheesing him enough. Easiest fight in the Souls series. He's easier than a single Heide knight.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Ahem.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Ah well the only proper way to fight pinwheel is blindfolded.

https://youtu.be/trStrgBbfxY
Can't frigging link to the time on my mobile but its around uhh 17 min mark just after Seathe. Honestly watch the whole thing its funny as hell.

Charles Bukowski fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Mar 12, 2021

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Dragonrider is honestly even more of a chump than pinwheel.

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
Everyone forgets covetous demonJabba.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
I got invaded and killed in Lost Bastille by someone in the butterfly set multiple times. The first time I kinda forgot that you could get invaded while hollow and chilling with a merchant window open - scared me real good. The butterfly invader's name is MightyMonarch. DS2 is pretty good.

But holy poo poo I don't know why From never fixed the game's default double click behavior, which introduces a few hundred ms of input delay if someone uses a mouse and is not aware that it exists and must be turned off. I can't imagine anyone could actually play with that much of an input delay.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

Cuttlefush posted:

I got invaded and killed in Lost Bastille by someone in the butterfly set multiple times. The first time I kinda forgot that you could get invaded while hollow and chilling with a merchant window open - scared me real good. The butterfly invader's name is MightyMonarch. DS2 is pretty good.

Got invaded by the same guy in Cardinal Tower.

Was trying to co-op through throne watcher & defender with some friends and both myself and my buddy got invaded by someone. I just two-handed havel's shield and beat them down with infinite poise damage twice, felt pretty good.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

Gobblecoque posted:

Dragonrider is honestly even more of a chump than pinwheel.

Not if you made the mistake I did of not knowing the forest of the fallen giants even existed and Heide's tower of flame is literally the first area you go to with one estus and +0 weapons. After that I made something like over 100 bit by bit attempts to get through no man's wharf. God that was horrible

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
the Shrine of Amana Dragonrider is the real fight

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Frida Call Me posted:

Same, the run to get the agape ring at 30k soul memory is a fun little challenge. I think my favorite part is you can get a +10 weapon without killing a single boss (though cheesing dragon rider is faster).

Given how many souls the game throws at you I never found it as fun running low level characters. At least not compared to DS1. The weapons are also more varied and fun.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KK6Hf96sfMI

Street Horrrsing
Mar 24, 2010

Godwalker of The Grateful Prisoner

Well I finally beat DS2. This game is long. So long. I had thought at multiple points that I had acquired all four of the doodads and was now about to face the final boss, or that I had ascended to the throne room and this must be it, but no. The Ruin Sentinels were the worst boss I faced, probably because I was under leveled for them. When I saw the giant knights in Heide's Tower, I noped out of there before learning how slow their attacks were, and it would have been a lot easier going there earlier than I did. I used the craftsman's hammer and a grand lance for 85% of the game, everytime I played around with another weapon, nothing seemed to work quite as well as my tried and true approach. Overall most of the bosses died the first time I encountered them, and few needed more than five attempts. There was one encounter in the Shrine of Amana where you're waist deep in water, there are three of those homing missile casters, two soldier priests, and a healer. In all honesty that might have been the worst encounter in the game period, and if DS2 just reset monsters like it did in DS1, I don't know if I would have been able to survive that encounter and go on to beat the demon of song. All in all, I have mixed feelings with DS2. I felt it gave me scads of weapons that were never worth it, the world didn't tie back into itself in cool ways like DS1 did, I frequently had no idea where to go, and the one-two punch of health loss after dying and frequent equipment breakage was especially hard when starting out.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
That particular Amana encounter is my least favourite encounter out of any souls game perhaps. I'll fight the maneaters every time instead. Know that we share your pain.

Yeah Majula is more of a center of a wheel with spokes poking out. Its beautiful though.

DS2 might be the most frustrating of these games but it definitely has something in it that keeps bringing me back, I've played through it more timed than all the others.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
That Amana encounter is torture, however I did it just yesterday and you know what? Oneshotting both of the Archdrakes with a single Demon Greathammer R2 at once feels loving great

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I like that deep water area because it's a test to see if you're willing to take a step back and think about it for a second or if you're just gonna embrace misery and bash your head against the wall. Equip a bow and you can snipe the priestess and force the archdrakes to come to you. Or just stick to the left side (a torch helps to see where you can safely walk), bash the one priestess there, and be on your merry way.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

betterinsodapop posted:

I've gotten to the Lost Bastille and am kind of losing my steam. Can't find any co-op summons, and I just keep getting wrecked by either the Pursuer and his gang of dogs and archers or the trio of Ruin Sentinels. Was having a blast up until now.

Stay on the ledge to fight the first sentinel. If you stay up there after the second will jump up and you can fight them solo for a bit before the third jumps up. Then bail down to the ground floor.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Gobblecoque posted:

I like that deep water area because it's a test to see if you're willing to take a step back and think about it for a second or if you're just gonna embrace misery and bash your head against the wall. Equip a bow and you can snipe the priestess and force the archdrakes to come to you. Or just stick to the left side (a torch helps to see where you can safely walk), bash the one priestess there, and be on your merry way.

You can also just run back to the house

e: Oh, the other circle arena with the invader

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
for that ending part of Amana you can just walk on the outside of the ring and kill the casters one by one, then engage the two clerics and healer. the clerics don't engage unless you walk into the ring directly and the rubble protects you from many of the crossfired shots

only issue is the NPC invader can spawn if you get too close on the left so save that one for last

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Currently crying because I've only just seen the title and have missed so much of the joyful cooperation :negative:

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Just Chamber posted:

Currently crying because I've only just seen the title and have missed so much of the joyful cooperation :negative:

I think there's still some people hanging around the lower soul memory tiers! And I think 3/13 will be more of a trail off than a hard stop. I'm gonna keep streaming my DS2 return to drangleic run until I finish all the DLCs and beat the game, at least (this will also give me more time for the Disco Elysium final cut to release lol)

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Simply Simon posted:

That Amana encounter is torture, however I did it just yesterday and you know what? Oneshotting both of the Archdrakes with a single Demon Greathammer R2 at once feels loving great

Do none of you have bows? Snipe the healer from the cave and the two dudes don't quite aggro you. Then snipe right caster, try to draw in the hammer dudes one at a time and then long range snipe the far away caster.

Don't fight fair, fight far.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
The first time ever doing shrine of amana was complete cancer. Everytime after that and including my last run was a cakewalk.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Tenzarin posted:

The first time ever doing shrine of amana was complete cancer. Everytime after that and including my last run was a cakewalk.

I agree that it isn't hard, but it is always tedious. I feel like that with a lot of Dark Souls 2 which is too bad because the environments are interesting and the weapons and fighting is fun.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I can't decide if Shrine is a case where they had too many ideas but lacked the time to refine them/spread them out or a case where they had too few ideas and just repeated the same three ad nauseum.

I feel like it's extra annoying because there's very little actual exploration to do and there's incredibly little context for what the area is, why it exists in its current form, etc. I've wondered before if the original point was to focus entirely on the Milfanitos (and maybe have the humanity shrine as a more central setpiece), because otherwise they show up for five seconds, carry a few small scraps of lore, and then the circle closes with the key gimp and you never think about it again.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Mar 13, 2021

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Frida Call Me posted:

It's also possible to make the Dark Lurker technically your first boss, I did it once for fun.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
You farmed 1 million souls without killing bosses to open drangleic castle?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

John Murdoch posted:

I can't decide if Shrine is a case where they had too many ideas but lacked the time to refine them/spread them out or a case where they had too few ideas and just repeated the same three ad nauseum.

I feel like it's extra annoying because there's very little actual exploration to do and there's incredibly little context for what the area is, why it exists in its current form, etc. I've wondered before if the original point was to focus entirely on the Milfanitos (and maybe have the humanity shrine as a more central setpiece), because otherwise they show up for five seconds, carry a few small scraps of lore, and then the circle closes with the key gimp and you never think about it again.

Amana should be removed from the game and replaced with Fountainhead Palace

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

skasion posted:

Amana should be removed from the game and replaced with Fountainhead Palace

That reminds me, I never want to play sekiro again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Cuttlefush posted:

I had a different (presumably, since this was on PS4) butterfly dude invade me in Heide's Tower of Flame. Managed to hold my own for a while and only needed a few more hits to finish him off, but the poison evenfually did me in because I didn't have anything to cure it and also had no ranged options on hand.

My PvP K/D ratio across all the Souls games is quite embarrassing, so this was probably one of my better showings. :v: