Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Tabletops posted:

Budget under $150 preferably. Idk what the system costs now as my speakers have appreciated a lot since I got them 12 years ago.

Speakers are Yamaha NS-70ts
I have a kenwood vr209 receiver.

Very mixed use, TV, gaming,music etc.

Prefer to use existing equipment, not going to get rid of the speakers as they have sentimental value and they also sound good

Really just want a sub I guess. The receiver is 5.1 but I live in an apartment that I would struggle to properly fit one in.

here

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_107PSW10B/Polk-Audio-PSW10-Black.html

same price on Bezos’ hell site if you prefer to get it there, also available elsewhere but Crutchfield is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

While we're on the subject of subs, if I already have full range front speakers with 10" drivers in them does it only make sense to get a 12" sub as opposed to a 10" one like the Polk shown above? I know bigger speakers are usually harder to control and my house while small is pretty open and oddly shaped so is probably a pain from an audio POV.

I'm guessing a 10" would give me benefits due to being dedicated to the job and taking the fronts out of the equation for that work, but not sure if it would be "enough".

Mainly movie watching, but I do have my turntable and other audio stuff hooked up to the amp.

e: to be precise, my receiver is an Onkyo 656 and the rear diagram is here - https://www.crutchfield.com/S-J51dqYbo4XA/p_580TXN656/Onkyo-TX-NR656.html#&gid=1&pid=2 . I presume you just run a single RCA cable from the output on it to one of the RCA inputs on that above sub. It's been forever since I've had a sub and can't remember the nuances of active/passive and best ways to connect etc.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Tabletops posted:

Budget under $150 preferably. Idk what the system costs now as my speakers have appreciated a lot since I got them 12 years ago.

Speakers are Yamaha NS-70ts
I have a kenwood vr209 receiver.

Very mixed use, TV, gaming,music etc.

Prefer to use existing equipment, not going to get rid of the speakers as they have sentimental value and they also sound good

Really just want a sub I guess. The receiver is 5.1 but I live in an apartment that I would struggle to properly fit one in.

I would think those speakers have pretty good bass for music. Are you looking for a sub primarily for movies/games, or do you want one just to have one (which is fine)?

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

using a sub in an apartment is an rear end in a top hat move, also, btw.

raise those speakers so that the woofers are closer to ear-level when you sit down, and you will be amazed at how much more bass you can hear compared to being on the floor.

i have a pair of vintage yamaha NS-625's hooked up to a yamaha RX-V485 and there is more than enough bass for my apartment living room. (only 8 inch woofers)

polyester concept fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Mar 5, 2021

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

polyester concept posted:

using a sub in an apartment is an rear end in a top hat move, also, btw.

I didn’t go into it in my post but my apartment is a condo unit from 1969 that’s the only one on my floor (first floor of the building) and there is 15 feet above my ceiling before the second floor which is 3 feet of concrete

No worries there

BigFactory posted:

I would think those speakers have pretty good bass for music. Are you looking for a sub primarily for movies/games, or do you want one just to have one (which is fine)?

Yeah basically games and movies. They have great bass for music.

Ok Comboomer posted:

here

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_107PSW10B/Polk-Audio-PSW10-Black.html

same price on Bezos’ hell site if you prefer to get it there, also available elsewhere but Crutchfield is good.
Thank you will take a good look at this

Tabletops fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Mar 5, 2021

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Tabletops posted:

I didn’t go into it in my post but my apartment is a condo unit from 1969 that’s the only one on my floor (first floor of the building) and there is 15 feet above my ceiling before the second floor which is 3 feet of concrete

thats fair. i am hyper sensitive to the amount of noise I make because I had several bad experiences with ignorant neighbors for many years

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

thats fair. i am hyper sensitive to the amount of noise I make because I had several bad experiences with ignorant neighbors for many years

Same actually but I am loving blessed with my current place and the idea of moving somewhere where I both can’t make as much noise as I want and have to deal with neighbors noise fills me with dread on a regular basis

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Anyone have experience with Sony SS-4200 speakers? I can't find much via google, mostly just sales of others. From what I can tell, they're from the 70's. They're cheap at a local goodwill.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

mariooncrack posted:

Anyone have experience with Sony SS-4200 speakers? I can't find much via google, mostly just sales of others. From what I can tell, they're from the 70's. They're cheap at a local goodwill.

I don’t like Sony speakers as a rule, but that’s really colored by 90’s Sony stuff. I’d take a chance on almost anything 70’s Sony if the price is right.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

thrift store rules for vintage electronics: if it's heavy and not damaged beyond reason, buy it.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Tabletops posted:

Thank you will take a good look at this

While there are benefits to using a sub in almost all circumstances, the -3 dB point for that sub is almost identical to your speakers. 38 hz vs 40 hz.

Waiting and saving sucks, but I’d strongly recommend waiting until you can swing for an svs sb-1000 pro for $500. Then you get the benefit of dsp plus actually having real output in the bottom octave.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

BigFactory posted:

I don’t like Sony speakers as a rule, but that’s really colored by 90’s Sony stuff. I’d take a chance on almost anything 70’s Sony if the price is right.

thrift store rules for vintage electronics: if it's heavy and not damaged beyond reason, buy it.

Thanks! I'll go back and try to find them. They were pretty heavy.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

mariooncrack posted:

Thanks! I'll go back and try to find them. They were pretty heavy.

That was the rule I followed when I scored this Onkyo SKW-200 I'm using now for $20. Had no clue whether I could use it or if it was any good. I could probably break all the windows with this thing if I ever turned it up but I never do.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Anyone near Lake Worth FL might want to put a bid in on a McIntosh 4275 at the local goodwill. Pickup only.

https://www.shopgoodwill.com/Item/117042562

I expect it to be bid up before the end, but the local pickup might keep the price down.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I do. Interesting.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
nice- current price $68

hope you get it, bromance

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
It looks like a fun one to have in the collection.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ok Comboomer posted:

nice- current price $68

hope you get it, bromance

I get the feeling if it's got multiple bids on it already then it's being watched by people who know these things and have $, but we shall see. It doesn't seem a well loved model, but I'm all about the runts of the litter so hey!

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
If it goes for under $500 it’s probably a deal, although I would crap out long before then.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It's at $280 now with 3+ days to go, so alas I'm out.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

don't get me wrong, if the price was right I would buy it and enjoy it, but that thing looks like an ugly POS with the LCD. it looks like it was made from a mishmash of spare components dating back to the 60s.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

it looks like it was made from a mishmash of spare components dating back to the 60s.

Exactly, it’s great!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
aesthetics aside, is it a quadrophonic amp? I didn't get a good look on my phone, but it appeared to have 'A' through 'D' speaker outs

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Ok Comboomer posted:

aesthetics aside, is it a quadrophonic amp? I didn't get a good look on my phone, but it appeared to have 'A' through 'D' speaker outs

It could be late 80s 4 channel surround sound. The 5th speaker wasn’t standard until the 90s. Or it could just be A/B zones.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

BigFactory posted:

It could be late 80s 4 channel surround sound. The 5th speaker wasn’t standard until the 90s. Or it could just be A/B zones.

I know McIntosh is McIntosh but it looks way older than ‘late 80s’

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Ok Comboomer posted:

I know McIntosh is McIntosh but it looks way older than ‘late 80s’

1987 according to Hifiengine.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

It's got a cd input, remote connector and processor in/out so it's gotta be mid 80s or newer.

Mc and mm phono inputs which is a nice bonus.

I don't know McIntosh gear very well so I don't know if their 80s systems got lovely like most other brands but if I were close I would definitely be tempted.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Found a Sony PS-LX550 linear tracker at the ol goodwill today for $10. Everything seems to work.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

BigFactory posted:

Found a Sony PS-LX550 linear tracker at the ol goodwill today for $10. Everything seems to work.

I have a similar Sony Linear turntable.

The only weak point seems to be the part that drives the linear arm.

If it sits and the lube hardens the screw/arm that drive and align the arm get dusty you may need to apply some plastic safe grease to them.

There is also a small belt that drives the mechanism that can stretch or snap.

TheGoonspiracist
Jul 24, 2002

The terrible secret of space... :stonk: the Mods, they knew!
I just did some trade work for vertical Technics Sl-v6, best part is it matches the cd player I stumbled upon at my neighbors yard sale.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
What are the odds of that!

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

I just took a chance on a solid looking pair of antique speakers, it turns out they were Utah 8" midranges on the inside, blue in color. Anybody know anything about these?

As soon as I can find my phone I'll show you a pic. They say "over 40 years" on them so maybe they're not so antique after all.

Okay, here you go. And I'm starting to think these cheap handmade-looking enclosures might be the original ones but maybe the back panels have been replaced.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Mar 12, 2021

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

petit choux posted:

I just took a chance on a solid looking pair of antique speakers, it turns out they were Utah 8" midranges on the inside, blue in color. Anybody know anything about these?

As soon as I can find my phone I'll show you a pic. They say "over 40 years" on them so maybe they're not so antique after all.

Okay, here you go. And I'm starting to think these cheap handmade-looking enclosures might be the original ones but maybe the back panels have been replaced.

And does anybody know anything about these and how to identify them. I was looking to replace my 2 ohm speaker in a Mouse brand amp that I'm refurbishing, and this is the right size. But if it's 8 ohm I may not want to go there.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

And looking at the delicacy of this thing I feel like I've laid bare its genitalia or something. This is too delicate to go into a guitar amp at any rate.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Mar 12, 2021

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

That box screams DIY project to me. And from some posts on audiokarma, it seems like utah is/was a brand of drivers for DIY projects so that fits.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Some googling says Utah D8LA look very similar. Would have had the over 40 years label from at least the 60s and someone's selling a paper ad for them supposedly from 1957. But would also be available ten years later, so no telling exactly how old, but not new. If it's them, they would be 8 ohm.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Yeah, the delicacy of the labia- ah, cones on these speakers makes me think they're not what I want. I was looking at 2 ohm speakers online, maybe marine or motorcycle application speakers.

Yeah, these enclosures looks very handmade. I'll probably sell the speakers, I dunno, I'm tight for space. The crates are all made from solid pine, mitered corners, but still pretty crude. Probably repurpose those. They did a good job on the tweedy poo poo in front though.

Some discoloration on the 2nd speaker, don't know how that will affect performance:

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

That box screams DIY project to me. And from some posts on audiokarma, it seems like utah is/was a brand of drivers for DIY projects so that fits.

Yeah, the shape and size of this enclosure makes me feel like there should be another speaker in there or something. Still, a pretty solid box FWIW. I have an urge to build something out of them coming on.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Not very related but this is an aside from what I'm really doing RN, which is cleaning up and replacing the batteries on an original Mouse amp:

It has a tiny hole in the speaker, I dunno, is it ruined?

That white speck is actually a hole with something white underneath, by chance. Can that be repaired?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Finally hit an estate sale that had a bunch of decent vinyl that hadn't been picked over on my lunch break today.

Guy said records were 50 cents each.

I flipped through 3 boxes of your standard christmas, robert goulet, johnny mathis etc...

And then I got to a few boxes of 70s -80s pop and rock and grabbed pretty much all of it.

Ended up with 68 albums of #dadrock.

Cashier said he didn't want to make change and said I could have everything for $30.

Partial flip through

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3X67OkjNNFM