Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

WampaLord posted:

yes of course, there's a giant difference between someone who materially helps dogs and someone who makes awful "dog voice" tweets on twitter

the dog thing is like brunch, no you're not a weirdo lib for eating brunch or having a dog, you become a weirdo lib when you take them to weirdo lib levels

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

when hes right hes right

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
One thing that Biden offered is his deep experience with grief and loss. He lost a wife and a son, so he understands emotional loss in a way that few presidents have. The psychic wound to this country caused by Covid (and really the last four years) is deep, and we do need someone to be the consoler-in-chief. That he can engage retail politics mode while standing at a WH lectern is probably his greatest asset as a politician.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

silicone thrills posted:

One thing that Biden offered is his deep experience with grief and loss. He lost a wife and a son, so he understands emotional loss in a way that few presidents have. The psychic wound to this country caused by Covid (and really the last four years) is deep, and we do need someone to be the consoler-in-chief. That he can engage retail politics mode while standing at a WH lectern is probably his greatest asset as a politician.

biden is known for his consoling abilities, like when his wife caused a car accident and he blamed the victim for her death on tv

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Nichael posted:

I really don't get how they're arriving at the "cut childhood poverty in half" number. To actually do that would require a massive restructure of American society. Did that happen?

They're basically acting as if the temporary relief from the bill is a permanent cut to poverty (and I think that the logic also assumes that everyone who qualifies will receive benefits).

Of course, the other issue with this reasoning is that the official poverty line is way too low, so most of these people are still going to functionally be in poverty.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Cerebral Bore posted:

when hes right hes right

it's missing a room that's just full of pictures of his victims but that's probably too dark for newspapers

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Lmao someone said he reaches across the aisle so well too and holy gently caress.

Reaches across the aisle to inappropriatelg touch women.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Ytlaya posted:

They're basically acting as if the temporary relief from the bill is a permanent cut to poverty (and I think that the logic also assumes that everyone who qualifies will receive benefits).

Of course, the other issue with this reasoning is that the official poverty line is way too low, so most of these people are still going to functionally be in poverty.

yeah their attitude is it's permanent because well "why WOULDN'T they renew it???", ignoring the entire history of the democrats

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Ytlaya posted:

but we calculated exactly how much money was needed to raise people to the poverty line and gave half of the kids that much, problem solved

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Nichael posted:

I really don't get how they're arriving at the "cut childhood poverty in half" number. To actually do that would require a massive restructure of American society. Did that happen?

if you define being in poverty as "has an income of less than X dollars per day", then giving people more money, such that they're brought over that line, no longer makes them impoverished by definition

criticisms over this form of discourse tend to revolve around the fact that the line drawn to define poverty is usually way too low, combined with the fact that we now count people in poverty as a percentage rather than as an absolute number (because the latter will almost assuredly demonstrate that progress is going backwards in that respect), but that's not even the problem with the claims being laid out with regards to the bill

to say that a bill will "cut child poverty in half" as a function of their families being given enough money through the bill to drag them over that line that defines poverty would be technically just fine if they'd actually be getting that kind of money, but:

* it's only for a year
* it's going to be handled by the IRS, which so many poor families do not interact with that there's guaranteed to be millions falling through the cracks
* the study that argues that it will cut child poverty in half assumes that it was partnered with a minimum wage hike, which didn't happen

like, if the Dems passed a bill that was to the effect of "every person in America gets 300 dollars mailed to them by the Post Office, every month, in perpetuity", and then they use that to claim that so many million people are no longer in poverty just from the statistical effect of a person receiving 300 bucks a month is no longer underneath the poverty line, that would be far more credible even if you don't tackle all the issues of "is the line defining poverty high enough to begin with?", or "what if your landlord just raises the rent?"

but this bill that the Dems just passed has so many caveats to it that you can't even make that simple claim

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

Ytlaya posted:

(and I think that the logic also assumes that everyone who qualifies will receive benefits).

But you see it's just like COBRA. A perfectly rational person will always continue their healthcare coverage after being laid off until they find a new job that offers health insurance. That's why the rate of unemployed people without health insurance is zero. It's simple economics

(meanwhile only 10% of people actually opt into COBRA because the premiums are ridiculous and it's been virtually useless in boosting health insurance coverage)

gradenko_2000 posted:

* it's going to be handled by the IRS, which so many poor families do not interact with that there's guaranteed to be millions falling through the cracks

Not to mention it's idiotic to have the IRS manage these regular payments to people. The agency just isn't designed to be a regular payment processor. It should obviously be the SSA handling it, but of course the Dems can't have an overwhelmingly popular agency manage "the most popular bill in history". Better to give it to the most hated agency of the US government

Euphoriaphone has issued a correction as of 09:35 on Mar 12, 2021

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

I just looked it up and the US poverty line for a family of 4 is a combined income of $26.5k. I wonder where in the US you, your spouse, and your two children could live on that? Can people move back to 1975 maybe?

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Chillgamesh posted:

I just looked it up and the US poverty line for a family of 4 is a combined income of $26.5k. I wonder where in the US you, your spouse, and your two children could live on that? Can people move back to 1975 maybe?

I know someone in Pineville Kentucky making about that in a family of 3 and let me tell you, they ain't doing good. But hey for 1 year they will officially be making above poverty level so woo.

They've already got every dollar planned out for fixing alot of poo poo that's super broke but that's all it is is a bandaid. In one year they go back to being exactly as hosed.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
They literally are still living with their parents in their mid 20s because they can't afford rent or daycare.

Serious gently caress America. gently caress biden. gently caress dems trying to blow smoke up all our asses. It was an OK bill but it wasn't what was promised and it isn't some loving amazing poo poo.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

silicone thrills posted:

They literally are still living with their parents in their mid 20s because they can't afford rent or daycare.

Serious gently caress America. gently caress biden. gently caress dems trying to blow smoke up all our asses. It was an OK bill but it wasn't what was promised and it isn't some loving amazing poo poo.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
to put it in terms a uspol lib would understand, this is a straight D student getting a C- on a test

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Raskolnikov38 posted:

there’s been a wave of attacks in the Bay Area. thieves have been hitting Oakland’s Chinatown hard and some loon attacked like four people in Mountain View

Biden doesnt give a poo poo about any of that. Someone told him he needs to cover his rear end from saying that the Indians are taking over

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Snoops rates that statement partially true.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

right thread? don't know :justpost:

Have some greatest hits from a megathread on reddit

I wasn't on the Biden train during the election.
But since he was elected, I've come to realize something.
Joe Biden was made for this moment. His compassion and empathy is more important than anything else right now, and is a salve for the pain this country has been feeling for the last year.

Even with the pandemic, anyone else here feel massively more productive, and more mentally and physically healthy since we voted trump out and Twitter tuned him off? I've cut my drinking way down, I'm sleeping, I'm getting work done. It's really a nice feeling not being terrified and worried about how your country's leader is going to gently caress you or others over in their next tweet... Also, excellent speech. I'm excited for us to get back to where we should be.

I love Elizabeth Warren. I love Bernie Sanders. I love a bunch of the choices we had in the primaries.
I'm not sure there was any better choice for this moment in history than Joe Biden. We're very lucky to have him, and the people he brought with him, to help us get through this.

At the beginning I thought he was past his time and if he was gonna become President it was 1988 when he was the Democratic frontrunner. I think he might have beat Bush, I think Dukakis was a weak candidate. That said, I was a Pete supporter in the primary, because I wanted someone young, and fresh. But as a U.S history teacher I like studying Presidents that seem primed and built for the moment that they are elected in. Guys like Lincoln or Franklin Roosevelt. Now I’m not saying Joe is Roosevelt or Lincoln, but he seems to be the right guy for the right time. A time in which America has suffered immeasurable loss. Bernie, Warren, Pete, Beto, Kamala- all of them would have been great- but none of them know loss like Joe Biden knows loss. There are not many people that have lost as many close to them in their lifetime and President Biden.

I posted this elsewhere, but it really fits in response to this speech:
Biden is shaping up to be a true president of the people.
I've heard his partnership with Obama during their time in office being described as the 'Head and the Heart' referring to Obama's sharp intellect and Biden's compassion.
Biden is making it very clear where his heart is: caring for the people he has been chosen to lead.
I don't always agree with everything Biden says and does, but it would be hard to make a case against the man that is now our president to say that he doesn't understand hardship and care for people who are going through it.
So refreshing.

This feels peak Joe Biden. Like almost what he was made for this moment. Not necessarily the policy side, but the tone and empathy side.

:thunkgun:

Tzen has issued a correction as of 10:37 on Mar 12, 2021

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Tzen posted:

right thread? don't know :justpost:

Have some greatest hits from a megathread on reddit

I wasn't on the Biden train during the election.
But since he was elected, I've come to realize something.
Joe Biden was made for this moment. His compassion and empathy is more important than anything else right now, and is a salve for the pain this country has been feeling for the last year.

Even with the pandemic, anyone else here feel massively more productive, and more mentally and physically healthy since we voted trump out and Twitter tuned him off? I've cut my loss like Joe Biden knows loss. There are not many people that have lost as many close to them in their lifetime and President Biden.

I posted this elsewhere, but it really fits in response to this speech:
Biden is shaping up to be a true president of the people.
I've heard his partnership with Obama during their time in office being described as the 'Head and the Heart' referring to Obama's sharp intellect and Biden's compassion.
Biden is making it very clear where his heart is: caring for the people he has been chosen to lead.
I don't always agree with everything Biden says and does, but it would be hard to make a case against the man that is now our president to say that he doesn't understand hardship and care for people who are going through it.
So refreshing.

This feels peak Joe Biden. Like almost what he was made for this moment. Not necessarily the policy side, but the tone and empathy side.

:thunkgun:

Oh cool you found Pick's Reddit account

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
now that's some primo succ

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
It must be really amazing to wake up everyday having forgotten the past. Just a fresh slate and complete optimism.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

thinking that biden could have beaten bush in eighty eight suggests that you have absolutely no idea why he lost the primary that year and have somehow confused him with jesse jackson

god imagine telling a black person back then that thirty years from now theyd vote to make joe biden the standard bearer of the democratic party theyd probably think you were a complete lunatic

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Tzen posted:

That said, I was a Pete supporter in the primary

of loving course

Mostly Lurking
Sep 25, 2008

silicone thrills posted:

It must be really amazing to wake up everyday having forgotten the past. Just a fresh slate and complete optimism.

They really haven't forgotten anything. Nothing really has touched them financially they just don't want to be reminded that things are getting worse. Trump was a reminder of that, so top priority was getting rid of him. poo poo, even debating Tara Reade was too much for D&D so that got set aside to a smaller thread. We're good people, of course we didn't vote for a rapist.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Lol they're a US history teacher

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

Mostly Lurking posted:

They really haven't forgotten anything. Nothing really has touched them financially they just don't want to be reminded that things are getting worse. Trump was a reminder of that, so top priority was getting rid of him. poo poo, even debating Tara Reade was too much for D&D so that got set aside to a smaller thread. We're good people, of course we didn't vote for a rapist.

yeah most of the USPol superstars are lawyers or minor finance demons, which is basically the true Dem base nowadays, and those sorts of people are completely untouched by anything that actually happens in us politics. They just want to watch their stories.

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS
bad lawyers. their takes on ending qualified immunity were exceptionally awful. there are probably others but that's the most recent I can remember.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

AnimeIsTrash posted:

You shouldn't like any media person tbh. All the mediamatters people are libs who liked bernie, and also this is what dave weigel was doing in his college years lmfao.

https://www.foxnews.com/story/pro-war-movement-springs-into-action

lol I went to college at the same time as David Weigel and I would have hated his dork rear end.

Imagine organizing a pro iraq war rally

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Just lmao this makes this very coordinated media italking point even more hosed since they COULD have done that but specifically chose not to whip their rear end in a top hat Senate geniuses for it.

Euphoriaphone posted:

Love to give up easy to see policy goals like "$15 minimum wage" in favor of more abstract ones like "cut child poverty in half". There is definitely no way that child poverty won't be as bad, if not worse by 2022 making me look like a lying jackass for shouting it.
https://twitter.com/AOC/status/1370171671852748801

I wonder if AOC remembers two months ago when she couldn't be assed to fight for M4A (which would have been a huge deal for impoverished people of all ages) since it was much more important to impeach an ex president and then they didn't even call any witnesses because I guess even that wasn't very important either?

Eggplant Squire has issued a correction as of 13:35 on Mar 12, 2021

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

Eggplant Squire posted:

I wonder if AOC remembers two months ago when she couldn't be assed to fight for M4A (which would have been a huge deal for impoverished people of all ages) since it was much more important to impeach an ex president and then they didn't even call any witnesses because I guess even that wasn't very important either?

remembering two months ago is traumatic though

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Not overly labeled, the jokes are mostly visual, everything is focused on a single point instead of a bunch of different stuff. I think the record player in the attic is a nice touch! Good job, Ben!

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

AOCIA

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

lmao

the democrats

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

the "true" number without the min wage increase is apparently 31%, though that's also possibly made up entirely as well

it rounds up to 50, so we're good to go!!!

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

Not overly labeled, the jokes are mostly visual, everything is focused on a single point instead of a bunch of different stuff. I think the record player in the attic is a nice touch! Good job, Ben!

Ben's a pretty talented artist when he feels like it, he's just, you know, also a vile dickhead

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

lol

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

spacemang_spliff posted:

lmao

the democrats

the lmaocrats

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Yinlock posted:

the "true" number without the min wage increase is apparently 31%, though that's also possibly made up entirely as well

it rounds up to 50, so we're good to go!!!

I mean they should never be forgiven for making this claim for anything that doesn't provide a permanent income boost but lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
i don't know who nix panicus is, but this is a drat fine post

Nix Panicus posted:

So when this short term fix expires we can say that Biden doubled child poverty in America