Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Flipswitch posted:

I haven't tried them before, but I do feel that Bandits feel a little shallow?

They have fewer campaign systems for sure, especially now. But I think they have the most fun tree and running around as a mercenary for warring Han factions and just kinda doing whatever is a lot of fun, imo. Zheng Jiang is one of my favorite factions to play because you get to the Unlimited Money part of the campaign really quickly and can take your services wherever and just gently caress around with stalk/snipe assault infantry and a badass general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

If she captures the emperor can they marry or is she still restricted to kill or gently caress (off)?

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
I don't think the emperor becomes an actual character until you abdicate to him so that would be a problem for that aspect.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
He used to show up with a generic portrait after Three Kingdoms fired.

Though if he's reinstated he can be married as normal.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

McTimmy posted:

He used to show up with a generic portrait after Three Kingdoms fired.

Though if he's reinstated he can be married as normal.
Patch is nice, good to be able to take down barricades again. Still some of sieges my troops refuse to run, but seems to happen less frequently. Ranged rebalance is good, seems I'm less able to delete approaching unshielded units than before. I'm not sure there's a point in ever recruiting militia archers now, unless to use fire arrow.
I think imperial intrigue needs a balancing pass: in 190 campaign Emperor hit 16 while being in Dong Min's place, and never left because he seems to be happy there. Everyone but Yuan Shu were at max every time I've checked. And thanks to bonuses it's easier than ever to get big early: it's 202 in my Liu Bei game, and I own significant chunk of land between rivers, from the coast to Liu Chong's starting lands, with corruption around 20%.
What should I research as Liu Bei going wide? Got to max special tax building tree already.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Total war in general is that it doesn’t really doesn’t know what to do with large states that aren’t in like Atilla where they are falling apart. Large state warring with each other honestly isn’t very interesting
That's the problem with wars being "total" and having to conquer every bit of your enemy province by province. The diplomacy in whatever title comes next needs a limited objectives war function and having states treat minor wars as an acceptable interaction from which you can recover. Maybe that's a situation where (for example) freeing or ransoming prisoners means something in the larger picture.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Seeing how comprehensive diplomacy can get in 3K and how in line with history it got I'm really looking forward to feudal Europe game. It's crazy how they can juggle supporting a couple of games at once, and still providing at least ok experience. I imagine another historical will need to wait for quite a while after Warhammer 3 lands though.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
A future historical game could probably use a causus belli system to reign in the scale of conflicts.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

terrorist ambulance posted:

I don't know what it is about Three Kingdoms. Its mechanically awesome, the settling rules, it looks great, you can play as yellow turbans or bandits. But I just cannot into it. I have no idea whats going on at the strategic level or what I'm supposed to do.
I had a lot of trouble too until a friend offered to do a coop game with me so we could talk through my confusion in real time. Once that happened I'm not a champion of 3K because it is indeed amazing.

Any gripes I have with it are minor, one of them being wars being total like people are talking about. I shouldnt have to worry so much about factions I dont share a border with declaring on me and sending 2 armies a turn through the fog of war to die upon crossing a river, FOREVER. If Hard (or harder) Cao Cao decides he doesnt like you, you could literally kill the entire population of China three times over via him sending endless waves of armies at you, but he wont accept a reasonable peace until you conquer at least half of his land. Land that, as mentioned, does not even border you - you have trespass at least two other factions just to get to his land to start taking stuff, and once you do.... why stop? Unless you kill his faction off he will just declare again in *checks notes* 6 turns despite the peace treaty and your clear and evident superiority.

edit: I didnt mean for that to turn into a rant, oops. I really like the idea of some sort of what xander said:

Xander77 posted:

That's the problem with wars being "total" and having to conquer every bit of your enemy province by province. The diplomacy in whatever title comes next needs a limited objectives war function and having states treat minor wars as an acceptable interaction from which you can recover. Maybe that's a situation where (for example) freeing or ransoming prisoners means something in the larger picture.

edit:

BigglesSWE posted:

A future historical game could probably use a causus belli system to reign in the scale of conflicts.
I dont know if I want TW to go this far. I just want the AI to be better about stupidly Total Warring.

edit2: Like if in my example above, Cao Cao's other enemies wouldnt sit on their hands when he is sending everything he has halfway across the map to die and instead attack him when his armies are all dead.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Mar 12, 2021

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

On one hand I agree that faction hatred towards you can be pretty weirdly strong, on the other hand without the AI going for you at least a tiny bit the game would be a cakewalk. What really gets me is the AI vassals feeling threatened by people across the map. who gives a poo poo if sun ce declares war on you, gongzun san? Second of all, why does sun ce care?

Edit: the ai has been extremely hit or miss with me. 200 liu bei had a lobotomy or something, doesnt follow orders and just sits in his capital with a full stack as he gets eaten. Hasnt moved in 20 years. Meanwhile gong du has captured all of chen from cao cao somehow

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

On one hand I agree that faction hatred towards you can be pretty weirdly strong, on the other hand without the AI going for you at least a tiny bit the game would be a cakewalk.
Someone says something like this every time I mention insane AI behavior as being a problem. I'm not saying I dont want the AI to be aggressive or that I dont want the AI to attack me. I just dont want stupid bullshit that requires me to do the Chinese equivalent of invading France from Poland without invading Germany first. If, going back to my example, Cao Cao would instead conquer the land between me and him, THEN hellwar me.... I wouldnt mind at all. But hellwarring me from a distance is stupid.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I actually like 3k cause your enemies are largely way more likely to accept peace deals than any other game.

Sometimes they just won't but variety is the spice of life, I've had a lot of times in 3k where I get owned by some new enemy while fighting on another front and I can offer embarassing peace deals and they'll actually accept even if theyr winning.
That straight up never ever happens in other games.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I generally dont have trouble doing limited wars in three kingdoms, usually time passing and ransoming prisoners is enough to make a peace. But then, I almost always play on normal!

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Inverted Sphere posted:

That reminds me, what are some of the generally more common/popular mods for this? Feeling the urge to start playing this again and while I know it'll be a bit before mods get updated, I'm curious what's actually out there.
Besides the suggestions already made to you, if you're interested in MTU but want to play a version without its concubine mechanic, look to this goon-made version, and if you want to play an 'art-only' version (more MP-compatible at the cost of not only missing out on MTU-added events but also some characters that MTU added via scripts) then look here.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

There's a few mods worth checking to address the dopey campaign war stuff too, try Better Diplomacy and Better Enclave AI.

Xan
Feb 7, 2005
Shop smart, shop S-Mart.

The Chad Jihad posted:

I generally dont have trouble doing limited wars in three kingdoms, usually time passing and ransoming prisoners is enough to make a peace. But then, I almost always play on normal!

Same. I haven't had any real issues getting peace deals.

It's no where near as bad as Ham 2. Usually some turns need to elapse and you need to be rated stronger and have destroyed a few of their armies. The diplomacy is very transparent - can mouse over the negative figures to see what is causing them.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

i actually would love a fully fleshed out concubine mechanic but havent played MTU

its sorta odd going from watching chinese period dramas that heavily involve the rear palace to 3K that pretends it doesnt exist and the ancient chinese were monogamists
the books and writing from the time constantly emphasises that women shouldnt be influencing politics and the military and what that tells you is that women were constantly influencing politics and the military and the scholars are mad about it

i fully understand why nerds can't be trusted with the idea though i just think it could be sick in this game since you could do more marriages for diplomacy and end up diplomatically married to cao cao's kid as your primary wife for an alliance but you really favour your common-born imperial consort and she commands your best army but oh poo poo your enemy yuan shao is having an affair with your spy corps concubine and she killed your heir!

the real issue with it is what do you do with zheng jiang and women commanders, just let them have male consorts and concubines too though imo

e: also while we're at it, historically there was a lot of gay sex going on in the han dynasty and it was very fashionable between men it'd be nice to have a romance/breakup event or two between generals or something, representation aside its just interesting flavour for the period.
that might already exist though i dunno! its hard to miss when researching them. i guess i'd hope we're beyond the point where gay sex having existed in history is political but that will probably never be true.

Communist Thoughts fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Mar 12, 2021

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Communist Thoughts posted:

its sorta odd going from watching chinese period dramas that heavily involve the rear palace to 3K that pretends it doesnt exist and the ancient chinese were monogamists
I mean, RTW pretended ancient Rome didn't have divorce. Nothing new.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

I feel like a whole concubine system would be pretty unnecessary since its not like your kids are dying off left right and center as babies so you need a bunch being born at all times.

Plus I frankly don't trust that it wouldn't end up like the ancillaries where the AI will marry every single woman in their court on turn 1 and any they get will also be instantly assigned to some random fucko general because the AI only sees an unfilled tick box and by god it can't have that!

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Communist Thoughts posted:

the real issue with it is what do you do with zheng jiang and women commanders, just let them have male consorts and concubines too though imo

Download this mod and let her have concubines too. https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2205098552 :colbert:

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

reignonyourparade posted:

Some people think there's a chance we're eventually going to be getting more significant vassal systems to solve that exact problem once we have the actual three kingdoms so in that case you'd be able to play an actual smaller start as like, Sima Yi UNDER the giant Wei kingdom.

Yeah I imagine this is going to be an inevitability as they push the timeline forward. Guan Yu as a vassal under Liu Bei would be perfect if they wanted to do a Fan Castle chapter pack -- you could either be Guan Yu trying to fend off Wu and Wei on his lonesome, Liu Bei trying to get his brother to knock that poo poo off, or Cao Ren and Lu Meng making a temporary pact to bump off that bearded rear end in a top hat once and for all.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

man, this feels so much smoother than warhammer 2, i didnt realize CA had 2 different engines or something. I started as Iiu Bei and its neat starting with no capital and then going from there.

im doing romance mode cause im so used to TW2 where my generals can tank entire armies, its fun sending them headlong into a unit.

i didnt realize spears braced, and ran Liu Bei right into a unit and he got dismounted and his horse died :(

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Don't worry, the horse is just gone from the battle and will be back by the next battle. :)

Liu Bei is a really fun campaign, especially if you like heroes -- his Unity mechanic allows you to keep a ton of them satisfied, and absolutely need to make the most of them in battle as you'll be relying on militia for a lot longer than your enemies. The fact that he starts off as a horde and can set up shop pretty much anywhere is fun too -- I've done three or four different campaign as him and each one was in a different region of China.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

queeb posted:

man, this feels so much smoother than warhammer 2, i didnt realize CA had 2 different engines or something. I started as Iiu Bei and its neat starting with no capital and then going from there.

im doing romance mode cause im so used to TW2 where my generals can tank entire armies, its fun sending them headlong into a unit.

i didnt realize spears braced, and ran Liu Bei right into a unit and he got dismounted and his horse died :(

they often stick with an older engine for a few games even after the new one is out, itd be way harder to hack three kingdoms into warhammer 3 i guess but it would own i think

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
I really hope they use the 3k engine for wh3, even though I have some 200+ hours in wh2, 3k is just such a more streamlined process of menus and UI design. Things are just easy to find and cross reference, have played 3k for ~40 hours and I feel like I'm more familiar with not feeling like I'm forgetting to engage with core mechanics of my factions, the UI is just better at providing information. I’m still fumbling about learning the right tech options to take early and, frankly, who’s who in the game world/story so I can anticipate who would be friendly or not to a degree. The quick diplomacy option alone is just so good.

I started up a Sun Jian game post patch, a 190 start (but I’m probably going to go back to a Mandate of Heaven start after) which is super good and fun. Beat up Liu Biao & Yuan Shu early, I probably should’ve had a second army going south the whole time I realize though. I just kinda kept pushing north and now I own a really long thin line of territory north to south. Accidentally forgot about my ‘control the south[east] regions’ / kill lio yao mission and just steamrolled into Dong Min’s territory. So now I have the Han as my vassal, the emperor is in my court, and Liu Bei & Cao Cao leading the rest of the map against me. Pretty sure this campaign is a lost cause from here, but it was fun getting to this spot.

Definitely pushed myself too thin without consolidating my base of freely open territory, was surprised when I realized there weren’t any Han forces in those southern towns even. This was all on normal though, so lots of room to potentially save this campaign if I rolled back a few turns to not be so caught off guard by the ‘everyone will try to murder you now’ phase.

Here's my misguided snake of a map, turn 57. I didn't realize I left sooo much easy territory behind when I just charged north :v:

onesixtwo fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Mar 13, 2021

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

For as much fun as TWW can be in battle because of the mechanics and great variety, the actual act of moving units around a battlefield feels a lot better in 3K imo. Not sure if that's an engine thing or what. So yeah there's nowhere near as much variety but battles in 3K are still fun because I enjoy controlling the horsies so much more.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Yes.

YES!

YES!

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Anno posted:

For as much fun as TWW can be in battle because of the mechanics and great variety, the actual act of moving units around a battlefield feels a lot better in 3K imo. Not sure if that's an engine thing or what. So yeah there's nowhere near as much variety but battles in 3K are still fun because I enjoy controlling the horsies so much more.

I have to dispute this since I notice a lot more units "lagging" behind in terms of movement orders and etc; but I feel like it's a consequence of running on Extreme unit sizes. If it is, well, I'll give it a try in my next 3KTW run.

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

Actual best new patch change: When the AI extracts a spy from your faction, the game actually tells you who it is now. No more scrolling through my officer list trying to figure out who's missing.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Worst new change, I'm really starting to get tired of all these mountain gates. The spice/silk bonuses especially just feels very eh?

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

The Doomhammer posted:

Actual best new patch change: When the AI extracts a spy from your faction, the game actually tells you who it is now. No more scrolling through my officer list trying to figure out who's missing.

Yess

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
drat, i'm playing through as Lu Bu because I don't have the DLC i'm just wanting to experience the patch and incidentally it seems like it's straight up impossible to get the He Yi and Gong Du greatest warrior kills. If you keep killing off generals he eventually brings Huang Shao out but that's it.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
He Yi is usually doable since he starts pretty close and you can beeline for him after dealing with Cao Cao. The other two are more likely to die before you get to them unfortunately since the Yellow Turbans tend to lose pretty badly and get executed.

Worst comes to worst Lu Bu really doesn't gain much from territory so you can mostly abandon your commanderies early and zoom south.

Unfortunately he's also one of the most important since he gives hp regen to Lu Bu.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
That's exactly what I'm doing, but in the current patch he gets destroyed in his first fight against Liu Biao and then never gets brought out again every single time, as far as I can tell.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

That's exactly what I'm doing, but in the current patch he gets destroyed in his first fight against Liu Biao and then never gets brought out again every single time, as far as I can tell.
Unfortunately this has been the status quo thereof since the 1.5.0 (A World Betrayed) game update.

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Someone says something like this every time I mention insane AI behavior as being a problem. I'm not saying I dont want the AI to be aggressive or that I dont want the AI to attack me. I just dont want stupid bullshit that requires me to do the Chinese equivalent of invading France from Poland without invading Germany first. If, going back to my example, Cao Cao would instead conquer the land between me and him, THEN hellwar me.... I wouldnt mind at all. But hellwarring me from a distance is stupid.

The problem is you either get the old Yuan Shao style “entire north declares war” or you end up fighting a bunch of beaten down AI. There’s room for improvement, but 3k is head and shoulders above any other TW game when it comes to campaign AI.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
i think theres a mod that prevents named characters from getting killed/executed in AI battles so maybe he could show up elsewhere after that?

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Verviticus posted:

i think theres a mod that prevents named characters from getting killed/executed in AI battles so maybe he could show up elsewhere after that?

If this is about He Yi, the problem there is that he's the last Yellow Turban faction on the map and absent bugs yellow turbans are only going to show up in the yellow turban pool. So you're on a strict time limit to get his greatest warrior bonus before Liu Biao wipes the faction out.

I guess maybe it's possible if you immediately pick a fight with Liu Biao to give He Yi some breathing room?

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

If this is about He Yi, the problem there is that he's the last Yellow Turban faction on the map and absent bugs yellow turbans are only going to show up in the yellow turban pool. So you're on a strict time limit to get his greatest warrior bonus before Liu Biao wipes the faction out.

I guess maybe it's possible if you immediately pick a fight with Liu Biao to give He Yi some breathing room?

That'll teach the pacifistic fool!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

Pretty sure I've seen He Yi and friends turn up in the generic yellow turban faction, so you can always let the rebels take hold of a commandery and hope he shows up!