Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

AceOfFlames posted:

If you play with Secret Societies, you don’t even need to do the latter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yq8GQKQ_8SI

I think that got fixed sadly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Serephina posted:

I enjoyed AoW3, how does Planetfall compare in your opinion? The Steam reviews where very lukewarm, and I side-eye anything from Paradox nowadays, even if they're just publishing rather than in-house developing.

It's an incredibly deep and one-more-turn scratching game that'll keep you occupied for 100s of hours if you're into it.

take boat
Jul 8, 2006
boat: TAKEN

Serephina posted:

Because everyone loved the Vampires and Chtullu stuff. This is what you get!

if you told me Civ 6 would add vampires and a cthulhu ripoff, I would say that sounds like bullshit but I think they did a pretty good job integrating them into the gameplay and making them work thematically. So I'm cautiously optimistic about zombies as wild as that is

My actual complaints about the secret societies were around balance and I think they mostly addressed them
* Getting a governor promotion per society was bonkers, did make for fun early games though
* Ley lines originally sucked. Maybe now Hermetic Order is better?

Portugal is cool but I was hoping for something more interesting like Venice. Guess I have to check out mods for that

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

gently caress yeah, zombies. I've always wanted to see zombies in a video game.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Serephina posted:

I enjoyed AoW3, how does Planetfall compare in your opinion? The Steam reviews where very lukewarm, and I side-eye anything from Paradox nowadays, even if they're just publishing rather than in-house developing.

Never got into the other titles in the series. There's a fair learning curve because the game doesn't really explain itself very well but once you've gotten over the hump and figured out what's actually important it's pretty fun. There's a mode where you "conquer the galaxy" and each planet has random quests and conditions, then add permanent bonuses to your empire to use in future games. It's pretty good. Everything is kind of broken in its own way which is fun.
It's a bit rough on certain edges but they've smoothed out a lot of the stuff that initially put me off the game.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
If you enjoyed AoW3, it's a pretty safe bet. It's built on the same basic foundation, but tooled for sci-fi elements, so there's a lot more focus on ranged combat and area denial, and units are a good deal squishier. I've never played the X-com series, but I'm told a lot of the new combat mechanics are similar to that.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Mar 11, 2021

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
Planetfall is funny because if you just play the campaign you'll get a ton of rare cheevos. Turns out most of the players buy it for multiplayer or skirmishes. Also I'd get the mod that gives you more money, otherwise games become too grindy and defensive (because the AI cheats money).

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
i picked up rising storm for a couple bucks. i think the things they added are fun and add to the game... probably about as much as Warlords or G&K, definitely not on the level of bts or brave new world, and i think the things they didn't touch can't really be fixed without basically overhauling the entire game.

i like the barbarian village mode a lot, and i love that they added stuff to the end of the tech tree. but, they should just make the future techs permanently repeat rather than making you re-select them every time. well this has been a problem since 5 so i can't knock 6 for that. i REALLY like that you can lock trade items so the AI will never bother you about them!

the victories are still :psyduck: and 150 turns (on marathon) is WAY too many turns for the space race clock even if you can increase the speed manually. the ultramicroscopic UI is still absolutely horrid.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

there should be a "folly of men" mode where when you do things like use nukes for the first time, it has a chance of spawning a godzilla, and unlocking chemistry can create a zombie outbreak or something

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Zombies as a different take on barbarians that convert units when they kill them or something sounds pretty fun.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Zombies riding chariots and helicopters?

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Hell yes.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I can dig it

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Goa Tse-tung posted:

Planetfall is funny because if you just play the campaign you'll get a ton of rare cheevos. Turns out most of the players buy it for multiplayer or skirmishes. Also I'd get the mod that gives you more money, otherwise games become too grindy and defensive (because the AI cheats money).

This shouldn't happen; the game expects you to play way more aggressively than most 4x players are used to. Campaign maps can turn into a slog pretty fast if you turtle up, because the enemy has more starting resources than you do and will win the arms race.

I'd recommend playing more aggressively or just plain lowering the difficulty (which won't affect the combat AI, which is always great, it'll just mean you'll be facing weaker armies) before I'd recommend cheating.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

cams posted:

there should be a "folly of men" mode where when you do things like use nukes for the first time, it has a chance of spawning a godzilla, and unlocking chemistry can create a zombie outbreak or something

You unlock religion and suddenly you have to start throwing virgins into volcanoes or they explode. Poseidon demands you harvest that wheat tile or he sinks one of your ships.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

PaybackJack posted:

You unlock religion and suddenly you have to start throwing virgins into volcanoes or they explode. Poseidon demands you harvest that wheat tile or he sinks one of your ships.

I parsed this as the virgins will explode unless safely thrown into a volcano.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

There was a Civ 4 mod which added extra time periods before and after the end of the game and the prehistoric mode had a neat thing, where mythological creatures would appear on the map (centaurs, minotaurs, etc) until you researched a certain technology, at which point they were revealed to be just elephants or wolves or something. There were a lot of things about that mod that I remember being kind of tedious but that specific part of it was cool.

It also added a hunting feature, where if you killed barbarian animals it went back to the nearest city as food. I'm pretty sure that was a mod anyway, maybe it might have actually been a base game feature.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Ainsley McTree posted:

There was a Civ 4 mod which added extra time periods before and after the end of the game and the prehistoric mode had a neat thing, where mythological creatures would appear on the map (centaurs, minotaurs, etc) until you researched a certain technology, at which point they were revealed to be just elephants or wolves or something. There were a lot of things about that mod that I remember being kind of tedious but that specific part of it was cool.

It also added a hunting feature, where if you killed barbarian animals it went back to the nearest city as food. I'm pretty sure that was a mod anyway, maybe it might have actually been a base game feature.

that sounds like Caveman 2 Cosmos

current state of that is that literally every animal gets a myth, a story and a legend or something similar so even in modern eras you are hunting everything and sending it back to your cities

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

C2C is a cool mod that sounds much more fun than it is. One of the first buildings you can make is a hole in the ground. I played it many times but never even got to the medieval era.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Also the creator did a racism or something.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Organic Lube User posted:

Also the creator did a racism or something.

The developers have done a lot of racisms and :biotruths:, yes.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
rip

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Anyone here in the modding scene? There are a bunch of really really cool mod civs out there that after a couple updates aren't working, where probably just a line of code or two needs to be updated. It sucks to start playing as a cool mod civ only to find out a special bonus of theirs isn't working. Specifically, in the middle of a cherokee game:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1599954763

All in all the modding scene for this game is really, really good though! There are lots of reallyy creative and unique civs out there, unlike Civ V where most mods seemed to be "these guys have + 5 attack and their uniersity is a bit better"

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

New dev video is out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wj_uPpWM94

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
speaking of mods, this is gonna be hilarious in the new mode (if it works): https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1794164160

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

He mentioned skeletons and im sad there wont be a skeleton empire

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
every empire is technically a skeleton one

or at least one in the making

Bluff Buster
Oct 26, 2011

Well, Byzantine outclassed Spain in the religious domination game, so I'm looking forward to seeing how Portugal outclasses Spain colonizing foreign continents.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Yo lady of marshes plus dat ziggurat is ganna be pretty sick

and a well-placed preserve?

Awh yeah. I’m a dude who loves seeing big yields and MAKING NUMBER BIG

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Calico Heart posted:

Yo lady of marshes plus dat ziggurat is ganna be pretty sick

and a well-placed preserve?

Awh yeah. I’m a dude who loves seeing big yields and MAKING NUMBER BIG

Same. I have played too many ley line games at this point. Love seeing those numbers get astronomical.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Bluff Buster posted:

Well, Byzantine outclassed Spain in the religious domination game, so I'm looking forward to seeing how Portugal outclasses Spain colonizing foreign continents.

by existing. spain are close to the worst civ in the game.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
was really hoping for a swerve and the leaks were wrong just because I wanted a north american civ but I like both navy and trade gameplay so Portugal will do well.

Also zombie mode sounds...interesting. I kinda want to make a game with all the most warlike civs on a big map and see how wild the zombie hordes can get.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

HappyCamperGL posted:

I keep forgetting spain exists and it feels like years since I actually got spain spawn in a game.

sexpig by night posted:

Also zombie mode sounds...interesting. I kinda want to make a game with all the most warlike civs on a big map and see how wild the zombie hordes can get.

What would the thread classify as the most aggressive and earlier civs? I've been thinking of playing a Maori terra game with the twist of the old world is maximum thunderdome. I'm thinking, Montezuma, Trajan, Tomyris, Alexander, Chandragupta.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

I feel like Portugal and nazis were the two most boring picks possible for both, and a sad way to end a great dlc season, but I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt until I play because they’ve done a great job with NFP so far.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Spain is a cool roleplaying civ. Especially on an Earth map.

just a kazoo
Mar 7, 2018
The zombies seem less lame than I was anticipating but I can't imagine regularly playing with it turned on. Definitely excited for Portgual, and it seems like they might be mixing up the naval experience a bit which would be cool.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

HappyCamperGL posted:

Nah, they're a decent religious Civ. You have an improvement that gives faith, you have an incentive to found far away (and thus get holy sites closer to other civs) and combat units that get a bonus from being near religious units to better protect them (on higher difficulties and against human players you will almost always have to go to war to spread your religion anyway). If you pick the religious beliefs that amplify combat strength and plug in the right policy cards, they're a decent Religion/Domination Civ. Outclassed by Byzantium, sure, but Byzantium is crazy good.

Spain isn't amazing by any means, but their bonuses all compliment each other and form a cohesive playstyle. The worst civ in the game will always be Tamar unless she is completely redeisgned because her bonuses are average and do not work together at all. Norway and the Maya I think come in close behind because their strengths are so, so, so dependant on the map.

Soylent Pudding posted:

What would the thread classify as the most aggressive and earlier civs? I've been thinking of playing a Maori terra game with the twist of the old world is maximum thunderdome. I'm thinking, Montezuma, Trajan, Tomyris, Alexander, Chandragupta.

Depends on what you mean by "early". Byzantium are an absolutely insane early-midgame conquerer. Sumeria has the strongest proportional unit in the game right-off the bat.

Calico Heart fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Mar 16, 2021

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

That Torre de Belém looks incredibly oddly proportioned, even with the cartoony style. WTF.

Describing it as a "world wonder" is kind of a stretch to me, even as a Portuguese person, but I guess we should be lucky they didn't go with the literal fascist-commissioned monument to colonialism down the road.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Mar 16, 2021

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

The Torre looks to me like it's sunk into the ground over time, which could explain the proportions.

But yeah, I don't know much about Portugese monuments/archetecture but I'm 100% they could hae found something more impressive. Maybe they really wanted something by the sea to compliment Portugal's playstyle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Portugal never made very flashy monuments apart from churches and whatnot. If you're going to go with a "wonder" of the Discoveries, might as well go with that. Just feels weird to see it in the same context as the Pyramids or the Eiffel Tower. Then again, each game has been diluting that concept more and more (remember loving Prora in Brave New World?)