Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

I like to have a little PIP window to watch movies or videos while gaming. This works out great when I can play the file with windows media player, because I can just hide all the controls and have a clean little window playing the movies. When I try to do the same with youtube, it just doesn't work because I can't hide the browser menu and tabs and it turns into a cluttered mess rather than just a clean video. Is there a way to do this with Youtube videos?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Tiggum posted:

Which two?

So I married an axe murderer + last action hero

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Bioshuffle posted:

I like to have a little PIP window to watch movies or videos while gaming. This works out great when I can play the file with windows media player, because I can just hide all the controls and have a clean little window playing the movies. When I try to do the same with youtube, it just doesn't work because I can't hide the browser menu and tabs and it turns into a cluttered mess rather than just a clean video. Is there a way to do this with Youtube videos?

Firefox has this for any videos playing in the browser

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

AngryRobotsInc posted:

The best good 'bad' movie I've watched somewhat recently was Zombeavers.

Zombeavers and Rubber make an excellent double feature.

wikipedia posted:

Rubber is a 2010 English-language French independent satirical horror film about a tyre that comes to life and kills people with psychokinetic powers. It was directed and written by Quentin Dupieux. The film was produced by Realitism Films. It was shown at the Cannes Film Festival in 2010, where it received positive reviews from critics.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Nighthand posted:

Like many people, my friend group has started a weekly movie watching event, specifically focusing on bad movies. Thus, I'm looking for recommendations of bad movies we can watch.

I've checked the Bad Movies reddit, and low rated movies on RT, and so on, but the trouble we're running into is we apparently don't actually enjoy bad movies. What we're actually looking for are movies that are... overrated and goofy? I guess?

The emblematic movie that started it all, and that embodies what we're looking for, is Ghost Dog: Way of the Samurai. It has good reviews and a high rating on RT but that movies has so much goofy nonsense, it was hilarious to watch through. Die Hard Dracula was another good-bad movie we enjoyed, as was Surviving the Game.

Conversely, some bad movies that absolutely weren't worth the time spent watching them were things like the ABCs of Death and Master of Disguise. The former was just unpleasant, and the latter was such a mockery of itself it left us no room to enjoy it's terribleness.

We've also watched a bunch of others that were just kind of mediocre. Not the worst to watch, but not a fun time. Things like I, Frankenstein, the Dragonball Evolution movie, and Stop or My Mom Will Shoot.

Any ideas?

I haven't watched it yet but Velocipastor looks promising. Also did a friend viewing of the recent Sonic movie and it's just fine enough not to be a horrible experience but there's still plenty of material to MST3K it along the way.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

This question has been keeping me up late at night:

Bunions. I've looked this up but can't find an answer in layperson-speak. What causes them? No, not the underlying causes like genetics or obesity. What's the mechanical reason for a bunion? Why does the joint move out of alignment?

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Slimy Hog posted:

Firefox has this for any videos playing in the browser

Is this a specific mode I need to turn on? I'm using the latest version of Firefox, but even when I close out all the tabs, it still shows the tabs and everything else, basically wasting a lot screen real estate.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Bioshuffle posted:

Is this a specific mode I need to turn on? I'm using the latest version of Firefox, but even when I close out all the tabs, it still shows the tabs and everything else, basically wasting a lot screen real estate.
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/about-picture-picture-firefox

Clicking that little logo will pop a video up that floats wherever you want it, then you can minimize the browser or whatever.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!

StrixNebulosa posted:

This question has been keeping me up late at night:

Bunions. I've looked this up but can't find an answer in layperson-speak. What causes them? No, not the underlying causes like genetics or obesity. What's the mechanical reason for a bunion? Why does the joint move out of alignment?

Mine showed up the summer I worked a seasonal job where I was on my feet all day, often on rough terrain. My boots were comfortable enough but I put some of those squishy inserts inside and I remember the heel of the inserts was a lot thicker but whatever, it felt fine. But I guess it was just enough heel to put pressure on the joint at the base of the big toe and literally push it out.

Genetics definitely set me up to fail, though--my mom's feet look just like mine.

It was painful for a while but now I wear these insert things around the big toes and they rarely hurt anymore, but my feet look real dumb.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

One of the issues with obesity that most people don't realize is that it moves your center of gravity from being directly above your knees and ankles. That places weird stresses on your lower body and definitely could contribute to bunions. It's also the reason why fat people tend to fall over more.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

artsy fartsy posted:

Mine showed up the summer I worked a seasonal job where I was on my feet all day, often on rough terrain. My boots were comfortable enough but I put some of those squishy inserts inside and I remember the heel of the inserts was a lot thicker but whatever, it felt fine. But I guess it was just enough heel to put pressure on the joint at the base of the big toe and literally push it out.

Genetics definitely set me up to fail, though--my mom's feet look just like mine.

It was painful for a while but now I wear these insert things around the big toes and they rarely hurt anymore, but my feet look real dumb.

Which inserts are you talking about? Asking as I might want to use 'em.

Currently I have orthopedics for my flat feet and have a shoe with a big box for my toes to fit, but my right big toe sure is displaced by my bunion.

Anyways, re: my question, so it's the joint failing? Is that the mechanical action of it failing?

ultrafilter posted:

One of the issues with obesity that most people don't realize is that it moves your center of gravity from being directly above your knees and ankles. That places weird stresses on your lower body and definitely could contribute to bunions. It's also the reason why fat people tend to fall over more.

Huh, good to know. More reason to keep on my diet / exercise regime.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Many good movie options, thank you all. A couple were already on the list (Rubber, Velocipastor, Sonic) but I'll add the rest to the pile.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Nighthand posted:

Many good movie options, thank you all. A couple were already on the list (Rubber, Velocipastor, Sonic) but I'll add the rest to the pile.

Surely you've already considered The Room? It's perfect for riffing, at least for the first 30 minutes or so, after that it reeeeeeally drags in a way that's not that fun. But it's arguably the most famous bad movie of all time

Ninja edit: Just remembered another movie with that dubious distinction. Manos: The Hands of Fate

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

timp posted:

Surely you've already considered The Room? It's perfect for riffing, at least for the first 30 minutes or so, after that it reeeeeeally drags in a way that's not that fun. But it's arguably the most famous bad movie of all time

Yeah, it's the "not that fun" part we're being cautious with, because a few of our bad movie attempts have just been un-fun to sit through. One day we'll probably mutually inflict it on each other, but that day may be some time in the future.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Just go for random (or not so random) Nicholas Cage movies. I'd be hard pressed to call Face/Off an actual good movie but it's as fun as it is gloriously stupid.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!

StrixNebulosa posted:

Which inserts are you talking about? Asking as I might want to use 'em.

Currently I have orthopedics for my flat feet and have a shoe with a big box for my toes to fit, but my right big toe sure is displaced by my bunion.

Anyways, re: my question, so it's the joint failing? Is that the mechanical action of it failing?

I bought these last June and they haven't torn up: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AX22K8Y/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_imm_YN8TDJARF6K3SG588XXD?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1 (I tried a brand called Dr Fredericks before these and they literally tore on the first wear.)

I'm not sure if this would be considered a joint failing, I mean it still works. Just hammered and squeezed into a different shape. Like foot binding, I guess? I've read that the only way to get rid of them is through surgery.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Vampire's Kiss is breathtaking in it's Cagey-ness

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Barnum Brown Shoes posted:

So I married an axe murderer is loving great

yea imo its a better movie than any other 90's mike myers thing. which isnt really a high bar exactly, but still

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I have a porcelain tea pot that has a filter inside for looseleaf tea, but what I'd really like is one that you can also put on the stove to heat up the water in, so I don't have to heat up water in a separate container and transfer it (I'm paranoid about spilling boiling hot water on myself, or my dog!). I assume such a product exists, any ideas?

something like this but that can be used on a stovetop

https://us.hay.com/accessories/by-room/kitchen/sowden-tea-pot/2515073.html?lang=en_US#lang=en_US&q=SOWDEN&start=1

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

actionjackson posted:

I have a porcelain tea pot that has a filter inside for looseleaf tea, but what I'd really like is one that you can also put on the stove to heat up the water in, so I don't have to heat up water in a separate container and transfer it (I'm paranoid about spilling boiling hot water on myself, or my dog!). I assume such a product exists, any ideas?

something like this but that can be used on a stovetop

https://us.hay.com/accessories/by-room/kitchen/sowden-tea-pot/2515073.html?lang=en_US#lang=en_US&q=SOWDEN&start=1

what you are looking for is called a tea kettle. you can get them in any kind of basic home goods store. some are made for stovetops and some heat up electrically, both are quite common

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Earwicker posted:

what you are looking for is called a tea kettle. you can get them in any kind of basic home goods store. some are made for stovetops and some heat up electrically, both are quite common

well yes, I know, but typically they either have a filter within, and you heat up the water separately and pour it in, or they go on the stovetop to heat the water in but they don't have the filter built-in. I'm looking for one that has both. I refuse to use amazon though which kind of limits my selections! I did find a few, I was also wondering if there was any specific brand or model that others would recommend. thanks!

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
why do people put the apostrophe before the "s" in decade numbers? i see it this way more often than the way that makes sense, '90s, with the apostrophe in place of the "19" that was omitted. is it just a greengrocer's apostrophe?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

butt dickus posted:

why do people put the apostrophe before the "s" in decade numbers? i see it this way more often than the way that makes sense, '90s, with the apostrophe in place of the "19" that was omitted. is it just a greengrocer's apostrophe?

Because there are a lot of people who think an apostrophe means "LOOK OUT: Here comes an 's'!"

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Motronic posted:

Because there are a lot of people who think an apostrophe means "LOOK OUT: Here comes an 's'!"
yes i read that dave barry joke as well however long ago, but i see this specific case from people who can otherwise use apostrophes appropriately

e: from these very forums

butt dickus fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Mar 11, 2021

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
Its for when theyve dropped the ie from 60's

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

They remember that there should be an apostrophe but can't remember exactly where it goes. 's is a very common thing to write if you're writing an apostrophe, so they think it works that way here too.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

butt dickus posted:

im not sure what a greengrocer even is, let alone what kind of apostrophe they use, where i live we have supermarkets but ive never noticed them using apostrophes at all to be honest. i just think it looks better than '90s or 90s. more of a feeling than a reason

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

I want to use this TV to watch old movies and play NES. Are there any suggestions for HDMI from my computer to just a coax? It would be good to have an SVideo option too because I have newer cst TVs. Something from Amazon would be nice.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Nighthand posted:

Like many people, my friend group has started a weekly movie watching event, specifically focusing on bad movies. Thus, I'm looking for recommendations of bad movies we can watch.

I've checked the Bad Movies reddit, and low rated movies on RT, and so on, but the trouble we're running into is we apparently don't actually enjoy bad movies. What we're actually looking for are movies that are... overrated and goofy? I guess?

The emblematic movie that started it all, and that embodies what we're looking for, is Ghost Dog: Way of the Samurai. It has good reviews and a high rating on RT but that movies has so much goofy nonsense, it was hilarious to watch through. Die Hard Dracula was another good-bad movie we enjoyed, as was Surviving the Game.

Conversely, some bad movies that absolutely weren't worth the time spent watching them were things like the ABCs of Death and Master of Disguise. The former was just unpleasant, and the latter was such a mockery of itself it left us no room to enjoy it's terribleness.

We've also watched a bunch of others that were just kind of mediocre. Not the worst to watch, but not a fun time. Things like I, Frankenstein, the Dragonball Evolution movie, and Stop or My Mom Will Shoot.

Any ideas?

The 1980's was a golden era for bad movies.

Some recommendations:

Terrorvision
Hell Comes to Frogtown
The Eliminators
Choke Canyon
Enemy Territory

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNJiQOIGlrA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7ouC--Yr2E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJgAeGUD2FU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3As2QTQb5Uk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mxcz1BUKEDk

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Earwicker posted:

im not sure what a greengrocer even is, let alone what kind of apostrophe they use, where i live we have supermarkets but ive never noticed them using apostrophes at all to be honest. i just think it looks better than '90s or 90s. more of a feeling than a reason

It's just the signs outside a shop, will often say things like "Kid's Eat Free" or "Hot And Cold Drink's Here". Fresh fruit and vegetable merchants are called greengrocers in the UK. It's just a superfluous apostrophe, that happens enough on hand-written signs outside shops it started being called the Greengrocer's Apostrophe.

And seconding the call not to watch The Room. It stops being fun very quickly into it.

They Live is a great bad-movie watch. You'll probably recognise the alleyway fight scene between Roddy Piper and Keith David, it's been parodied enough times. The Core is a movie about a ship made of unobtanium (literally) that is driven down to the core of the Earth to restart it with nuclear weapons after it stops.

Memento fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Mar 12, 2021

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
Say I buy something on the 9th with a credit card (capital one), but the due date for payment on the card is the 10th, but the app won't let you make payments if your balance is 0 and the payment hasn't shown up yet, but then the 11th or later rolls around and now your balance reflects your purchase but is saying it was still due on the 10th, is that something to be worried about?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

Say I buy something on the 9th with a credit card (capital one), but the due date for payment on the card is the 10th, but the app won't let you make payments if your balance is 0 and the payment hasn't shown up yet, but then the 11th or later rolls around and now your balance reflects your purchase but is saying it was still due on the 10th, is that something to be worried about?

You seem to be confused about statement dates and due dates.

The statement cycle closes long before the due date. So a statement cycle closes and no payment is due for that last month of spending for.....a couple of weeks or so.....

I'm not sure what exactly you are concerned about past that. But it might even involve other things like pending transactions.

I think you need to describe the problem better.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

ultrafilter posted:

https://twitter.com/jules_su/status/1169674336766222336

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

No. If the due date is the 10th, what's actually due is the amount you had outstanding as of the 20th of the previous month (or similar). Transactions on the 9th will be due the following month.

Imagine they were still doing it all on paper; you'd buy something on the 9th, the merchant would mail the slip on to the cc company, the credit card company would add that to your total, then on the 20th they'd close your book for the month and mail you a bill, then you'd have enough time to mail a cheque back in by the 10th.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Memento posted:

And seconding the call not to watch The Room. It stops being fun very quickly into it.
I watched it with a couple of other people and we found it funny the whole way through. :shrug:

butt dickus posted:

It's just a preference. Some people think it's clearer.

MyronMulch
Nov 12, 2006

Samurai Cop

SIHappiness
Apr 26, 2008
Dead Heat is a late-80s Zombie Buddy Cop movie starring Joe Piscopo. A cop teams up with his dead and then reanimated partner to chase down the zombie making guys. It's surprisingly decent given the underlying premise and straddles the line carefully to be a "good bad movie" as opposed to just a bad movie.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

On a walk yesterday I noticed that at least like 3/4 of the cars I saw parked or driving down my street were either white, silver, black, or grey blue.

Are the colors cars are available in more limited now than they used to be? I haven’t gone shopping for a car since 2009 (and even then I got a white one).

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I mean, unless you’re driving a sports car or something, most people aren’t going to want a car in red/yellow/neon green/whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

Short version: No.

Long version: There are four dates: purchase date, posted date, statement date, and due date.

Purchase date is when you buy, posted date is when the CC company learns that yes, you bought, statement date is when they collect all the things you bought together and say you owe us $X by the due date, which is usually a fixed number of days (14,21, or 30 are fairly common) after the statement date.

31st Jan (sun): Buy something (purchase date)
1st Feb: Vendor sends confirmation to CC company and it shows on the statement (post date)
16th Feb: CC company generates a statement showing all transactions since the last statement and sends it (statement date)
9th Mar: You buy another thing
10th Mar: Amount on the statement is due by this date (due date).
16th Mar: CC company generates a statement showing all transactions since the last statement,including the 9th March purchase, and sends it (statement date)

You might want to consider not treating your credit card as if it were a debit card simply because cash can be turned into available credit pretty much anywhere/anytime there is internet, but if you need cash you're usually limited to 10% of your credit limit and there's usually a 3% fee for getting cash out - e.g. if your limit is $2000 and you have $1800 cash and spend $1000, you can do what you do and have:

A:
$2000 credit available
$800 cash

or:

B:
$1000 credit available
$1800 cash

Now, lets say you need cash for bail for your best friend Bonzo - how much can you get, assuming the banks are open and you're not ATM-limited?

A':
$1800 credit available
$994 cash

B':
$1000 credit available
$1800 cash

Obviously strategy B is better, and as long as you have internet you can turn B into A quite quickly (YMMV, though - citicard usually does it in 10-15 minutes, don't have a cap1 card).

Also, the american credit score thing is stupid, but you may actually be hurting your credit score by paying things off before they are due - IIRC part of the formula is based on how well you pay your bills weighted by bill size, so you're effectively getting 0 on that portion, and I think they also ding you for never "using" your CC (ie. you keep your balance at 0 so you never have anything to pay off).

Or, based on your username, you are just stupid rich and you don't have to worry about that poo poo. Lucky bastard.